Announcement Moderation Procedures Overhaul (Work in Progress)

We're still discussing lengths and whatnot, but if you see someone breaking the Terms of Service you should report them. You don't have to, but you should.

Remember, the Terms of Service is here to protect the game and its players. You agreed to follow it when you joined the game, so if you break it you are punished. Please report people breaking the Terms of Service they agreed to follow, it helps keep the game clean.
I think banning someone is to harsh so I would rather not, I understand I should but I would if consequences weren't bad. I would feel bad, although they're committing a "crime" I'll still feel bad. Maybe if they were lowered to like a weapon reset (which is reasonable) I would but i've seen like 5 players doing it in the past 2 months.

I think banning someone is to harsh so I would rather not, I understand I should but I would if consequences weren't bad. I would feel bad, although they're committing a "crime" I'll still feel bad. Maybe if they were lowered to like a weapon reset (which is reasonable) I would but i've seen like 5 players doing it in the past 2 months.

We will catch them either way, reporting just makes it quicker for us. If you wish to let players roam the Caribbean breaking the rules, that is up to you, but everyone gets caught in the end either way.

I would not feel bad for people who willingly choose to break the rules. That's on them. Being punished for breaking those rules also gives them an opportunity to learn from their mistake and correct their behavior.

Being banned for cheating is NOT too harsh. They are using a 3rd party program to gain an advantage over others, the punishment fits the crime.

That's not inappropriate language. It would just be "arrr" or "yarr."

Ahh so the whitelist system is staying then? the way i understood your beginning post was that inappropriate language would be changed to something else presumably switching to a Blacklisting system and making the chat more fluid and a bit more forgiving to people who type in a rush like myself :p

Ahh so the whitelist system is staying then? the way i understood your beginning post was that inappropriate language would be changed to something else presumably switching to a Blacklisting system and making the chat more fluid and a bit more forgiving to people who type in a rush like myself :p
Blacklist words will be affected by the autocorrection censor - not anything else. Words that simply aren't on the whitelist or the blacklist will still show as "arrr" - sorry, I should have clarified.

Blacklist words will be affected by the autocorrection censor - not anything else. Words that simply aren't on the whitelist or the blacklist will still show as "arrr" - sorry, I should have clarified.
Oh well its not a big deal, i personally dont mind the whitelist system, even on the outside it may make things seem much more complicated but it probably makes moderation significantly easier and keeps the game a bit cleaner, people are already clever about getting around the chat filters im sure without a whitelist they'd have a blast

I am so happy to hear of these changes. It delights me to know that the harsh punishments will come to those who deserve and the ones who make simple errors-whether they're intentional heat of the moment errors or simple misspellings-won't be penalized just the same as those who deserve the penalty. This is what I was hoping to see in an emulator and I am glad to see it. My respects to those who gave constructive criticism and the team members that heard them out!

I would also like to give a shout out to the muting. It is an interesting and creative way to curb bad behavior and teach those with malintent to think before opening those mouths of theirs. ;)

:thanks:It's refreshing to be involved with a game where the Devs are so actively involved with the player base and so quick to respond to ideas.

In my opinion these are all positive changes that don't compromise the family friendliness of TLoPO while at the same time creating less chat related worries. As a self-titled 'Queen of Typo's' I have worried about the potential for being banned by an overenthusiastic spellchecker, albeit I respect the reasoning behind the current system. Muting would seem a much more appropriate action (except of course in the case of flagrant disregard for decency/general abuse of the chat system etc)
:thumbsup:

On the subject of autoclickers etc....

:2 cents:I understand completely why you would feel bad, but the people using these systems agreed to the Terms of Service when they created their accounts. By using autoclickers etc they have broken the agreement they had with TLoPO not to use them. They knew the risk, they still took it, so in essence they chose to risk being be banned. It's not the fault of anyone that may report it or the fault of TLoPO if they lose their account due to their own stupidity.

I accidentally typed tally-ho as two words... does this warrant a ban with the current system? If so I'll send an appeal email to the support email. Either way, I'm looking forward to this new moderation method!

While this is being developed, is there room to add a feature that automatically allows guild member's names in their own channels?

A much lighter approach is definitely needed especially since there seems to be no context processor, people getting flagged for saying "bang" when the context of what is being said is referring to an onomatopoeia, and the fact that these blacklisted words get replaced with variations of "arrgh" combined with that only ones who see it will be the filter, moderators, and the one who typed it out. Disney's "open chat" system operated much more like a blacklist where what could be said was anything and everything except for a few words that are on the blacklist.

This feels quite a lot like TTR's overaggressive moderators who will kick or ban you for saying "I'M GOING TO GREEN YOU" while in your estates. When it comes to moderation, a more relaxed approach is generally the best kind of approach, as it allows more severe violations to be caught more effectively as opposed to the occasional working around of the filters.

A much lighter approach is definitely needed especially since there seems to be no context processor, people getting flagged for saying "bang" when the context of what is being said is referring to an onomatopoeia, and the fact that these blacklisted words get replaced with variations of "arrgh" combined with that only ones who see it will be the filter, moderators, and the one who typed it out.
This is generally the goal we're working to achieve. We're going to be exclusively focused on context rather than raw word-choice alone. Automated bans based on blacklist strikes will be a thing of the past - if you say something inappropriate and it matches a blacklist entry, it won't matter since it's going to be autocorrected with a similar, more appropriate substitute. If it's not on the BL or WL, it'll still simply be "arrrrr" - which still won't matter since nobody can even see it in-game. Moderators will still be able to see the original word you typed though, and from there determine your intent (e.g. if you were harassing somebody).

While this is being developed, is there room to add a feature that automatically allows guild member's names in their own channels?
If you're talking about the guild channel specifically, there is currently a bug that prevents names from updating in the guild system once it is approved by the moderation team. To work around this, you will need to kick that specific member out of the guild and re-add them for their name to update properly.

Any names you wish to add to the whitelist in general, you can suggest in this thread.

THANK YARRS.....ER ..Thank aaars...ah I mean the chat was yarrs and really a pain in the aaars....I couldn't even say a 12 year old word like yarrs........ahhhhhhggggggg
OH jeeezz.

Anyways it's a great idea that needed the change. This isn't Disney any more.

Umm they deserve the ban if they use auto clickers. no shame in reporting. Cheaters cheat. Enjoy the game without gimmicks. It's possible, trust me.
What's autoclicking for anyways... this game doesn't move fast enough to worry about fast clicks or whatever... it's not counter strike.

Back