Pirates Online Closing 8/20/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, we will all miss POTCO. It was my first internet game I have ever played, back in 2006. Of course, my character was stuck with a wierd name because disney didn't accept my name for some reason, but still, I enjoyed the experience and it helped me develop. I maxed out several characters and I haven't played since 2008. I've been looking for a private server recently, hit me up if there is any with high amount of players. - Cresent
Here is a thread on Pirates Online Rewritten, an effort to recreate the game. You can find more information there, I even recently added a couple of screenshots.

Here is a thread on Pirates Online Rewritten, an effort to recreate the game. You can find more information there, I even recently added a couple of screenshots.

Was the effort worth it? I think not. You could always just get permission from Disney to use POTCO and make private servers. - Cresent

Was the effort worth it? I think not. You could always just get permission from Disney to use POTCO and make private servers. - Cresent
You didn't read the thread did you. :] We did contact Disney and we got permission to recreate the game. It will take a while to remake it.

Reverse engineering sounds to advanced, when you could just "borrow" there work. (With Permission, of course.) And do a bit of editing here and there, so you control what private server you connect to. You'd also need a new character creation, unless you use the old one.
You didn't read the thread did you. :] We did contact Disney and we got permission to recreate the game. It will take a while to remake it.

I read it twice.
Reverse engineering sounds to advanced, when you could just "borrow" there work. (With Permission, of course.) And do a bit of editing here and there, so you control what private server you connect to. You'd also need a new character creation, unless you use the old one.

I read it twice.

As I was saying, you could release the last version to the public as a private server, then release updates after you've collected a few to fix up some things.

Last edited by a moderator:

I read it twice.

As I was saying, you could release the last version to the public as a private server, then release updates after you've collected a few to fix up some things.

If only it were that easy to decompile the pyd files and just add a server.

If only it were that easy to decompile the pyd files and just add a server.

I've seen it done. WoW for example, its a bigger game, + tons of private servers. And all these private servers all have something in common, they are custom. New items, new races, etc.

I've seen it done. WoW for example, its a bigger game, + tons of private servers. And all these private servers all have something in common, they are custom. New items, new races, etc.
Yes, but WoW doesn't use what Disney did for POTCO.

Yes, but WoW doesn't use what Disney did for POTCO.

What I don't understand is using the graphics engine POTCO used, its so 6 years ago, you know? I mean, it would be a good Alpha, but if the plan worked out, it would prob. need to update graphics to get alought of attentions from the public. (Yes, I know this is off topic, but I was reading some other comments.)

What I don't understand is using the graphics engine POTCO used, its so 6 years ago, you know? I mean, it would be a good Alpha, but if the plan worked out, it would prob. need to update graphics to get alought of attentions from the public. (Yes, I know this is off topic, but I was reading some other comments.)

I do understand that fully, but we are doing an exact copy of POTCO. We would bring the pyd files together to make the exe and just get a server, but we can't figure out how to decompile them and configure them correctly. This is what we are working at with TTR.

so it will be the same good old pirates were all used to? i didnt think you were doing an exact replica but thats great! i hope we get the same avatars and all that i took screenshots of my pirates so i can re-create them although a miner suggestion some of my pirates had the old body styles like my little tiny fat pirate that would be awsome

so it will be the same good old pirates were all used to? i didnt think you were doing an exact replica but thats great! i hope we get the same avatars and all that i took screenshots of my pirates so i can re-create them although a miner suggestion some of my pirates had the old body styles like my little tiny fat pirate that would be awsome
The people who aren't doing an exact replica are Pirates of the High Seas. We are different, and we are making everything the same; another remake is for those who wanted to continue playing, as it will be exactly the same as POTCO. You can see more at the interview Shamus The Brute made.

whens potco rewritten coming out? I see how the character creation is in progress C: and will there be the old body types along with new ones?

whens potco rewritten coming out? I see how the character creation is in progress C: and will there be the old body types along with new ones?
No release date yet, but we are planning to have some sort of a playable Alpha Version (NOT the complete game) out during the summer of 2014. This doesn't mean we will, but that's what we are shooting for. You never know what might happen though.

As far as old body types go, that is something we have been asked about a lot. At this moment we don't know if we are going to add them back. We will if we can, but we may be unable to due to software or hardware limitations.

^^^ EA sports?? EA sports has nothing to do with Disney.

I'm referring to the fact that Disney and EA an incompetent and don't have the capacity to offer quality customer service.
^^^ EA sports?? EA sports has nothing to do with Disney.

I am referring to the fact that both EA and Disney are incapable of providing quality customer service/support.
I'm referring to the fact that Disney and EA an incompetent and don't have the capacity to offer quality customer service.

I am referring to the fact that both EA and Disney are incapable of providing quality customer service/support.

Sorry for dbl post btw.

No release date yet, but we are planning to have some sort of a playable Alpha Version (NOT the complete game) out during the summer of 2014. This doesn't mean we will, but that's what we are shooting for. You never know what might happen though.

As far as old body types go, that is something we have been asked about a lot. At this moment we don't know if we are going to add them back. We will if we can, but we may be unable to due to software or hardware limitations.

that would be nice i have characters who just couldnt be recreated without them if thats the case it may just be rip for them but if theirs a way to add more body types im sure you guys will figure something out. so is the going to be made from disneys files or is it litteraly sit down and replicate the whole thing? im not to tec savvy so forgive me if my terminology is off a bit and i lack understandingi appologise i just read up the comments ye answered my question up their my bad lol

will there be the old body types along with new ones?
that would be nice i have characters who just couldnt be recreated without them if thats the case it may just be rip for them but if theirs a way to add more body types im sure you guys will figure something out. so is the going to be made from disneys files or is it litteraly sit down and replicate the whole thing? im not to tec savvy so forgive me if my terminology is off a bit and i lack understanding

I just got confirmation from a developer that we will be bringing back the old body types. Here is a quote from a recent Alpha-Update that has a teaser:

...Could it be old bodies, is that what it is? Well, it isn't that, well not at the moment, oops did I just give away a future update?...
[Source]

I just got confirmation from a developer that we will be bringing back the old body types. Here is a quote from a recent Alpha-Update that has a teaser:

[Source]

excellent now i can replicate my account as well im very excited

[Source]

excellent now i can replicate my account as well im very excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back