POTCO will never die. Campaign

They don't care. You should have figured out by now... no offense really. But they tell you they close the game and on top of that they add '' fireworks'' and other ''activities'' with ! showing their fake enthusiasm. They should be very ashamed yes, but even if we contact them, nothing will happen, like nothing happened with ' Revive POTCO' and all those suggestions sent with ideas from the players... :/

I did think of insulting them to be honest, by posting in the comments below. Then I figured they would sure moderate that kind of stuff so it wasn't worth it

Despite any length of attempts by us, they have their decision set in stone. There's no stopping them now, the only thing we -as the players- can do now is keep the memory alive, and the community strong. It may be a sad day, but there were many more happier ones.

:angel:

We dont want to give up King Arrguy but we are forced to because Mickey cheated in Chess and checkmated us on the World Stage of Business and there is nothing we can really do but cherish and hold it against Disney.

We dont want to give up King Arrguy but we are forced to because Mickey cheated in Chess and checkmated us on the World Stage of Business and there is nothing we can really do but cherish and hold it against Disney.
Agreed. This game was good like the Proud family. Everyone loved them both so much that they got rid of them. It's like a game of Monopoly with Disney.

Indeed, a game of Monopoly in which Disney holds all the properties and money and we hold nothing.
Aye, but there are some pirates whom successfully held "things" unfairly over other pirates. Perhaps that is the greatest lesson to be learned, in considering an aspect of why POTCO closed.

It is sad to see it go. I can't believe people was designing a new POTCO. I hate to say it, but nothing can replace POTCO. EVER.

they should just leave it open with free membership

Sorry sir, I don't mean to shoot down yer idea, but dont forget that running a game costs money. The people running it have to be payed. It has to be moderated, so moderators have to be payed. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as just leaving it running. I wish it was though.
It is sad to see it go. I can't believe people was designing a new POTCO. I hate to say it, but nothing can replace POTCO. EVER.

One can never design a new potco, but we can piece together the files left behind to attempt to remake it. There is no redesigning being done. Naturally, I wish I could restore it to exactly how it was. There are enough files left behind to piece together the islands and enemies, and to add the features that they said they were going to release. When I finish college, I hope that I will have sufficient knowledge to piece it together.

Last edited by a moderator:
One can never design a new potco, but we can piece together the files left behind to attempt to remake it. There is no redesigning being done. Naturally, I wish I could restore it to exactly how it was. There are enough files left behind to piece together the islands and enemies, and to add the features that they said they were going to release. When I finish college, I hope that I will have sufficient knowledge to piece it together.
I wish you luck. And with the way that you had simply pieced things together on POTCO to work towards your advantage, no doubt your skills will go far...

Aye, but there are some pirates whom successfully held "things" unfairly over other pirates. Perhaps that is the greatest lesson to be learned, in considering an aspect of why POTCO closed.

That somewhat added to the reason of the game closing. If people hack, then others may feel the need to unsubscribe from the game. Yet, Disney did nothing, in fighting against hackers. If they would have put some effort, then the game might still be here.

The closing was mostly due to them not adding content, then people start to leave. Also, they stopped advertising, which only provides word of mouth advertising.

That somewhat added to the reason of the game closing. If people hack, then others may feel the need to unsubscribe from the game. Yet, Disney did nothing, in fighting against hackers. If they would have put some effort, then the game might still be here.

The closing was mostly due to them not adding content, then people start to leave. Also, they stopped advertising, which only provides word of mouth advertising.
Really, you are quite right in what you say above. The whole thing, in my opinion, just snowballed to where the cause and spin of one thing slowly evolved to the point to where Disney lost full control over POTCO. If anyone is interested to understand more, please review: https://piratesforums.co/threads/revive-potco-revisited-tales-be-told.9167/page-4#post-151646

As far as POTCO hacking is concerned, the game really was doomed from the start as a result of the 2008 DV Labs "case study" which widely exposed to the public the coding loopholes which were specifically related to python. From that point on, it became the responsibility (or lack of) of POTCO players themselves whom willfully choose to destroy and implode the game from the inside out.

"Yes," Disney did not do too much to help the situation at all but, I think it is also important to not forget that neither did POTCO players either. *It was us players whom had held some of the fate of POTCO within our hands. In this respect and in my opinion, this is where we had failed.

It is not clear that hacking killed the game but it certainly had a negative impact. Frankly, I stopped doing svs and pvp almost immediatly after trying because of the unfair playing field. One of my first svs experiences was against a light sloop sinking war ships in a couple seconds. Certain parts of the game were not fun to play because of the cheating. I did not mind the high jumping or changing font colors but one thing leads to another.

It may be fun to create a "super character", play on god mode or use huge weapons when you are playing against NPC on your personal game system. However, there is no place for these cheats in any MMO game. These hackers do not see other players as people but as NPC or targets for their amusement. Who wants to pay a monthly fee just to become a target for some hacker using a free account???

What I learned is that I do not associate with anyone in an online game that uses cheats or hacks.

Back