Suggestion Ship of the Line Class

In the original game, during the Black Pearl mission, the boss ship that your crew would have to sink was called the Goliath, a Ship of the Line class vessel. As the name suggests, it was one ginormous ship, a fortress at sea. They had four decks, carrying over 130 cannons, creating an absolute war machine (In real life).

Of course, the ship of the line's size was it's downfall. Where it had armor, and cannons, it lost in speed. Now, the first appearance of the Ship of the Line in POTCO was the Goliath, during the Black Pearl boss battle. They had 14 above deck guns per side, and 24 broadsides PER SIDE, distributed between THREE broadside gun decks, whereas the current ships only have two.

There were many Ships of the Line in POTCO, including the HMS Goliath, HMS Victory, EITC Leviathan, and many others. Even Bounty Hunters had Ships of the line. It was possible to face the Battle-Royale, or the Tally-Ho, both Bounty Hunter Ships of the Line.

Back in 2010, when this ship class was being implemented, it was possible to purchase one, on a test server, for 200,000 credits.

I think bringing the ship of the line back as an obtainable ship class would be fun, as it would bring closure to maxed out players, as well as being a great staging area for looting trips, and other guild events.

What do you guys think? Let me know!

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Tom Savageflint
GM of Renegade Outlaws

I don't particularly like the idea of making it obtainable for players. It would be far too overpowered, as the only ships that would stand a chance against the broadsides were other ships of the line. To me, it would take away from their uniqueness. Another problem is the rating system of the sotl's.

1st Rate- 100+ cannons
2nd Rate- 90-98 cannons
3rd Rate- 64-80 cannons
4th Rate- 40-60 cannons

I don't particularly like the idea of making it obtainable for players. It would be far too overpowered, as the only ships that would stand a chance against the broadsides were other ships of the line. To me, it would take away from their uniqueness. Another problem is the rating system of the sotl's.

1st Rate- 100+ cannons
2nd Rate- 90-98 cannons
3rd Rate- 64-80 cannons
4th Rate- 40-60 cannons

Hmm. Perhaps, the SOTL would be banned in PvP, but can be used for farming, and activities like that? I remember using the ship on the test servers, and it was insanely fun.

Also, the rating system for the SOTL's would probably be toned down quite a bit, considering it's only a video game.

I personally have always like the idea of adding a whole new line of ships. Royal Sloop, Royal Galleon, Royal Frigate, and instead of a Royal Brig... have it be a Ship of the Line. Just my thoughts, but i do see where Roger is going with them being overpowered. It wouldn't be very fun if one broadside takes out any ship in the game except bounty hunters and other sotl

Even with the current war ships, one can almost fully sink certain npc warships with a single open-fire broadside even without ship upgrades. In my opinion a more powerful ship would be very out of place.

screenshot_2010-08-06_22-23-09.jpg
screenshot_2010-08-05_19-44-10.jpg
screenshot_2010-08-06_22-23-04.jpg
screenshot_2010-08-05_19-50-32.jpg

What???

Also to comp for ship of the line being added all they'd have to do is make certain sea enemies harder, or nerf which ship upgrades it can recieve, I think having more ships would be fun since the ones we have now we've all seen before and gets old after a while need something fresh and new.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPxuQmXlHI

As you can see in this video vs a Revenant its not too strong at all and not OP so should definitely be added because it looks cool

You can even make it have similar or same stats as a War Brig just so we can have that model, its just really cool

Last edited:
Perhaps as a compromise, a razee could be added. Essentially, it is a Ship of the Line that has had the the top deck(s), along with some of the heavier guns on those decks, cut off. This would increase the ship's speed, and allow for the ship to maintain it's strong hull, while at the same time retaining some of the more powerful cannons.
upload_2017-1-16_10-24-48.jpeg

The ships that were converted into razees were most commonly the Fourth and Third Rate ships of the line, as they could no longer function as a ship of the line against the increasing amount of heavier, more powerful First and Second rates. They were too heavy to be used as frigates, so the naval commanders decided to cut off the top deck(s) in order to make them faster, while still retaining the hull of the ship of the line. I'm not sure of the exact timeline of these, I only know that the HMS Indefatigable was a converted 64-gun Third Rate (Converted to a 44-gun Frigate) in 1794. There could have been some before this, but again, I'm not sure.

Perhaps as a compromise, a razee could be added. Essentially, it is a Ship of the Line that has had the the top deck(s), along with some of the heavier guns on those decks, cut off. This would increase the ship's speed, and allow for the ship to maintain it's strong hull, while at the same time retaining some of the more powerful cannons.
View attachment 77158
The ships that were converted into razees were most commonly the Fourth and Third Rate ships of the line, as they could no longer function as a ship of the line against the increasing amount of heavier, more powerful First and Second rates. They were too heavy to be used as frigates, so the naval commanders decided to cut off the top deck(s) in order to make them faster, while still retaining the hull of the ship of the line. I'm not sure of the exact timeline of these, I only know that the HMS Indefatigable was a converted 64-gun Third Rate (Converted to a 44-gun Frigate) in 1794. There could have been some before this, but again, I'm not sure.
This could probably work. It would make the SOTL balanced, and pirates with the current War ships would still stand a chance against the Razees.

The reason why people want Ship of the Line added is because there is already a playable version in the game files and would require close to no work to add it in for us since it was already in POTCO Test Server once.

The reason why people want Ship of the Line added is because there is already a playable version in the game files and would require close to no work to add it in for us since it was already in POTCO Test Server once.

This is correct. 3 of them were bought on test server back in the day for 200,000 gold.

Ship of the line would be super OP without some balancing on the ships we already have and the enemies at sea being done. perhaps if it were added much much weaker than a full fledged ship of the line but you could build it up to that point with some very expensive upgrades it would be closer to balanced

Ship of the line would be super OP without some balancing on the ships we already have and the enemies at sea being done. perhaps if it were added much much weaker than a full fledged ship of the line but you could build it up to that point with some very expensive upgrades it would be closer to balanced

Yes yes yes yes yes yes all the yes please yes the fully working model for it is already there just gotta do the ship upgrade texture pathing yes yes yes please yes I love you yes.
giphy.gif

But yeah make it have the same stats as a galleon except with more broadsides and more deck cannons cause more room and maybe slower and a lot less turning radius because its big and fat obviously.

The fact that its already there is basically "free content" for the taking and can prove to be really really cool xD

Last edited:
I love that idea... just make sure it still has 24 cargo capacity! :p

I like that there are tough bosses and near impossible enemy ships in the game that require team effort or amazing luck and stamina to defeat.
Otherwise, we might as well just introduce undefeatable alien spacecraft/warbirds and light sabers we can buy in the game, as they surely existed back then...
Savor Them!

I like that there are tough bosses and near impossible enemy ships in the game that require team effort or amazing luck and stamina to defeat.
Otherwise, we might as well just introduce undefeatable alien spacecraft/warbirds and light sabers we can buy in the game, as they surely existed back then...
Savor Them!
but whut does that have to do with adding SOTL in player ships.
<.<

Back