Suggestion Ship of the Line Class

but whut does that have to do with adding SOTL in player ships.
<.<
It puts the player on par with the difficulty of the game. If the game presents no real challenges, why play it?
I could go on, but I think/hope it's clear why this isn't a good idea, in my opinion...

Read the post that someone made earlier in this thread about Razees. It's a SOTL with less decks, built to move faster. It's not really going to be changing the balancing much, it's purely going to be a gunship.

I have torn feelings about this, because of course we all want to sail a Ship of the Line at one point in time, but at the same time, I don't want to see EVERYONE using it. I mean to be honest 200k gold is nothing.

I feel there are only two decent ways to go about adding in this ship so it doesn't replace every other ship in the game.

• Make it like the fishing boat, except before you can rent it you have to do a quest for either EITC or the Navy, once the quest is complete an officer would accept your EXTREMELY generous bribe to help you steal the ship of the line, one time use, then you have to do one of the quests again before you can bribe an officer.

• The other way is a quest line, we're talking at least 10 quests where after you do each part you're able to obtain some of the parts needed to build your own ship of the line, each time you finish one of these quests it would be a 200k gold sink to buy the part. Then at the end of the quest line you would have to have a shipwright construct the ship for you.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, there was a function in guilds for Pirates of the Burning Sea where you could deposit money into a guild bank to buy things with.

If a similar thing was implemented where your guild worked up enough funds, materials etc to create a ship of the line as a "guild ship" that would be pretty cool. Every guild could have the potential to make their own sotl.

I can think of a few ways to balance the SOTL
  1. Make it very expensive (above the current limit)
  2. Make it expensive to repair (to the point that it isn't profitable to gold hunt with it)
  3. Make it unupgradable, save for cosmetic changes.
  4. Make it handle like a rock.
  5. Make stronger enemies, like an undead SOTL, or a heavily armed "first rate" SOTL.
I like the idea of it being a guild ship as well.

Most people think it was alot better then it actually was.

Attachments

• screenshot_2010-08-05_19-44-10.jpg
    screenshot_2010-08-05_19-44-10.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 83
I don't particularly like the idea of making it obtainable for players. It would be far too overpowered, as the only ships that would stand a chance against the broadsides were other ships of the line. To me, it would take away from their uniqueness. Another problem is the rating system of the sotl's.

1st Rate- 100+ cannons
2nd Rate- 90-98 cannons
3rd Rate- 64-80 cannons
4th Rate- 40-60 cannons
those are just the Her Majesty's Ships from real life history, no way would the devs even think about releasing that it'd be worse than the HOP

Ship of the line would be super OP without some balancing on the ships we already have and the enemies at sea being done. perhaps if it were added much much weaker than a full fledged ship of the line but you could build it up to that point with some very expensive upgrades it would be closer to balanced
idk man i think the turning which should be pretty rough bc of its size would make up for alot

@deanaug do you have the files for SOTL? They should have been around for a day max as Disney claimed they released it by mistake.
i heard only a handful of people actually snatched it while they could, it'd be a real struggle to find files on the sotl

Another thing to think about is with this size of it, it's going to be hard to keep it balanced and keep its stats compatible to the size of it. In other words a huge ship needs have huge stats and those stats can be flying around to every pirate all willy-nilly, this idea will surely need to come out with a higher gold cap.

Another thing to think about is with this size of it, it's going to be hard to keep it balanced and keep its stats compatible to the size of it. In other words a huge ship needs have huge stats and those stats can be flying around to every pirate all willy-nilly, this idea will surely need to come out with a higher gold cap.
Or maybe there's a veeery long quest chain to get it or trade in a fully upgraded warship for it, but this ship needs to have higher stats (excluding agility and speed related) to please the majority of the community

I have torn feelings about this, because of course we all want to sail a Ship of the Line at one point in time, but at the same time, I don't want to see EVERYONE using it. I mean to be honest 200k gold is nothing.

I feel there are only two decent ways to go about adding in this ship so it doesn't replace every other ship in the game.

• Make it like the fishing boat, except before you can rent it you have to do a quest for either EITC or the Navy, once the quest is complete an officer would accept your EXTREMELY generous bribe to help you steal the ship of the line, one time use, then you have to do one of the quests again before you can bribe an officer.

• The other way is a quest line, we're talking at least 10 quests where after you do each part you're able to obtain some of the parts needed to build your own ship of the line, each time you finish one of these quests it would be a 200k gold sink to buy the part. Then at the end of the quest line you would have to have a shipwright construct the ship for you.
1st option definitely would have massive back lash from the community people want to have that in their dinghy and say "i own a ship of the line" not "i can rent a sotl", if you've ever played GTA and have the Pegasus vehicles paying to rent those STINKS big time and those are some of the best vehicles that would be the same thing.

However, the second option. You're on to something bc this would be a unique quest, no other quest build you something of use with the expensive cost of the part it makes receiving it at the end all the more rewarding, the best feeling in video games.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MarkPlankwalker there's no need to create a new post every time you want to reply directly to someone. Also, if you recall of something you forgot to mention and the duration between your last post is short, you can always have your post amended with the changes you'd like to add. "+Quote" could be useful as an option in the future as well

I've merged your posts together. Thank you.

This kind of idea has come up a fair bit. In my opinion, a new ship would be fantastic, but I just don't really like the concept for the SoTL. It looks awfully "block-ish" and just doesn't look like a pirate should own it. It would also make a few of the other ships become obsolete. I mean, if you're going for a War Galleon then just save up for the SoTL. Plus, the SoTL -in my opinion- would just ruin SvS. I've watched some videos of it and the people would just line up right against each other and just blast away their broadsides. It just comes down to who has more guns instead of skill. Just my two cents.

@MarkPlankwalker there's no need to create a new post every time you want to reply directly to someone. Also, if you recall of something you forgot to mention and the duration between your last post is short, you can always have your post amended with the changes you'd like to add. "+Quote" could be useful as an option in the future as well

I've merged your posts together. Thank you.
Sorry about that

As someone who used the SOTL in POTCO test servers, it's really not as OP as people would think. It sinks pretty easy, since its hitbox is huge. Its size is its downfall. Someone in a light sloop could take down a SOTL if they sailed the ship correctly.

Point being, the SOTL may have had a lot of broadsides, but it was slow, and huge. So it's actually quite balanced.

Last edited:
Most people who actually used the ship of the line know it was not much more powerful then a War Brig but boy did it sure look cool.

The real benefit of it was the 24 cargo spots. Which could be amazing, and then ship customization with it would be the coolest thing ever.

I also think it should be implemented with a story quest, chapter 2 of black pearl story quest handcrafted by TLOPO: Arming yourself!

As Jack Sparrow gives you leads on people who can make a ship "so menacing it even gives Jolly Roger cold feet"

or something similar, some themed, cool long quest chain to unlock it.

maybe add it as a ship for guilds to use as a flagship and add mechanics so it requires multiple crew members to operate rather than just a captain, for example maybe a separate man to command guns and abilities and the captain just controls movement

maybe add it as a ship for guilds to use as a flagship and add mechanics so it requires multiple crew members to operate rather than just a captain, for example maybe a separate man to command guns and abilities and the captain just controls movement

A pirate's life is about freedom and that sounds rather controlling : c

The main issue with a Ship of the Line class ship being added is simply how potent it is. It has the most armor out of any other ship in the game and would simply through off the balance of the game. Outside of the Black Pearl mission, taking on a Ship of the Line even with a full crew is a daunting task, it's also quite big as well.

The main issue with a Ship of the Line class ship being added is simply how potent it is. It has the most armor out of any other ship in the game and would simply through off the balance of the game. Outside of the Black Pearl mission, taking on a Ship of the Line even with a full crew is a daunting task, it's also quite big as well.
That's given its the same as a treasure fleet sotl or bounty hunter sotl which both have HUGE buffs. A good portrayal of what a sotl would be like is the Goliath give or take stats.

That's given its the same as a treasure fleet sotl or bounty hunter sotl which both have HUGE buffs. A good portrayal of what a sotl would be like is the Goliath give or take stats.
You're right about that, but I was going off of the stats of the one that was accidentally made available on the POTCO test server all those years ago.

Back