Discussion The Black Pearl Boss Battle Needs a SERIOUS Nerf

Tereysa de las Sombras

Honorable Pirate
Or a serious fix.
Crew of 12. Level 30 cannons. Thunderbolt, Fury, and Firebrand. Open Fire skill in use. Take Cover skill in use.
We barely made it past the first three towers and the next set finished us off quickly. There's no way that should be possible. I don't recall it being that difficult, and I have no idea why it is now. We were completely obliterated and we barely got out of the starting area. The bridges may as well be made of titanium painted brown. There is no way they should be able to withstand five minutes of us blasting away at them just to destroy one.

If the Towers got a buff like this, I dread what the Goliath will be like.
Is this intentional, or some kind of crazy glitch?

Are you guys hitting the bridge at the weak points? I remember that shotting at the arch on the side make bridge hp go down easier. Pretty sure the Goliath is not that is to take down it is quiet easy to take down.

Last edited:
Or a serious fix.
Crew of 12. Level 30 cannons. Thunderbolt, Fury, and Firebrand. Open Fire skill in use. Take Cover skill in use.
We barely made it past the first three towers and the next set finished us off quickly. There's no way that should be possible. I don't recall it being that difficult, and I have no idea why it is now. We were completely obliterated and we barely got out of the starting area. The bridges may as well be made of titanium painted brown. There is no way they should be able to withstand five minutes of us blasting away at them just to destroy one.

If the Towers got a buff like this, I dread what the Goliath will be like.
Is this intentional, or some kind of crazy glitch?
I've spent hours messing around with the towers and this is the area that consistently registered solid damage more than any thing else in the last months at least. Aim for the 'X''d spots on both sides of the bridge. And always take both sides out even though your ship can pass one side as also at this time a majority of the time all will shoot at you all the way to the last towers.
I've plastered all around on the towers and it only seems at the junctions the towers take damage at this time.
Go back in and try this suggestion and see if it makes any difference for you.
tower.JPG

I forgot to include or note that the illustration shows the bridge planking already removed.

Last edited:
Ironically, it actually makes more sense that you should have to destroy the bridges and the support cranes vs. the forts themselves. But, due to this issue it can make freeing the Pearl more difficult.

The devs have said they're aware of this issue so hopefully in the future it can be reverted.

In the meantime, coordinate your gunners to focus on one bridge at a time, Left or Right first.

Yes, this is a bug, it doesn't need a nerf it needs a bug fix. As people have stated the work around is to either hit the actual bridge span or the vulnerable part of the support, if you do that it is soloable and quite easy with a competent crew of 3, unless there's something new with the latest update since I didn't try it yesterday. No matter what, this is a bug, not a battle that is too difficult.

Ironically, it actually makes more sense that you should have to destroy the bridges and the support cranes vs. the forts themselves. But, due to this issue it can make freeing the Pearl more difficult.

The devs have said they're aware of this issue so hopefully in the future it can be reverted.

In the meantime, coordinate your gunners to focus on one bridge at a time, Left or Right first.
The logic maybe with people is the blasted towers are bombing your ship and if you take out the towers gunners, you can work the bridges in due time. Thus, I think so many pirates new or not aware of bug issues just go with such normal logic and aim at the tower gun positions. You know, if you blow the cannons they can't fire on you any more and then you can work the bridges.

With a beta, logic goes out the port side sidescuttles.

I did the Black Pearl quest solo around 6 months ago when the Fort was bugged. The bug was that fort won't fire back at the player, that bug was some soon after that. I do remember that TLOPO advising us to shot at the supporting arch instead of the fort because the damage was not registering.

Just tried it again. Even with take cover and open fire working again, we were still obliterated completely.
Ship combat is not meant to be stationary, and that's largely what this boss battle is. There is no way to avoid the constant barrage of damage. We can only use take cover to delay the inevitable.
It takes so long to chip away at those bridges that we eventually ran out of ammo, and round shot really didn't do any damage at all. The broadsides of the Black Pearl are useless because the bunkers, the giant things shooting at us no longer count as a valid target. There's no way to repair the ship either. The only way I could see it being done is by a full crew of level 30 cannoneers with a HUGE stash of Fury and Firebrand.
Telling me to shoot at the bridges doesn't help. That's exactly what we're doing.
I've rewatched people doing it from the original game and it seems so much easier. It just doesn't feel right.

Just tried it again. Even with take cover and open fire working again, we were still obliterated completely.
Ship combat is not meant to be stationary, and that's largely what this boss battle is. There is no way to avoid the constant barrage of damage. We can only use take cover to delay the inevitable.
It takes so long to chip away at those bridges that we eventually ran out of ammo, and round shot really didn't do any damage at all. The broadsides of the Black Pearl are useless because the bunkers, the giant things shooting at us no longer count as a valid target. There's no way to repair the ship either. The only way I could see it being done is by a full crew of level 30 cannoneers with a HUGE stash of Fury and Firebrand.
Telling me to shoot at the bridges doesn't help. That's exactly what we're doing.
I've rewatched people doing it from the original game and it seems so much easier. It just doesn't feel right.

Comparing gameplay clips from POTCO will never help your situation here. At the core, it's the same game, but especially for something like the BPQ, there have been so many updates and issues resurfacing with the battle itself, that it's unfair to the Devs to try and compare this to POTCO.

As far as avoiding the cannonade from the pillboxes scattered across the canyon, there are a multitude of ways to avoid the damage. The best way I've found when I Sherpa BPQ runs is by sticking the nose of the ship in the left or right (depending on the chosen side to gun) side, and wiggle the hull back and forth. Doing this, you're able to either evade shots entirely, have the shot eaten by the sails, or have the shot land on the top deck, which does no damage.

The bridges are perfectly capable of being dealt with by almost any type of ammunition, and I commonly run out of my better shots early trying to knock them out quickly, but round shot is still capable of doing work, so long as you're employing the strategy mentioned above for sailing.

If you're someone who's done it before (i.e. have the Leadership skill available), it is best recommended to try and use the leadership as many times as you can early on, as the increase in DPM is quite significant.

Watch this video. It will show you were to hit the bridges. I just did a few weeks ago and the updates haven't changed the black pearl in the intervening time (at least they don't mention changing anything) You are in armed guard so I don't get why you cant find a crew to do this as its a huge guild and your GM claims to have soloed it (but never provided a video like the one below)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MA4XYauUDQ&t=422s

Watch this video. It will show you were to hit the bridges. I just did a few weeks ago and the updates haven't changed the black pearl in the intervening time (at least they don't mention changing anything) You are in armed guard so I don't get why you cant find a crew to do this as its a huge guild and your GM claims to have soloed it (but never provided a video like the one below)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MA4XYauUDQ&t=422s

14 levels of Notoriety and 12 of cannon to go then, I suppose. Did you put five skill points into round shot? If so, I need to visit a trainer to get mine redistributed.

Back