The Legend of Pirates Online, an ongoing POTCO recreation.

Thanks for the feedback and support, everyone!

I'm not crazy about our abbreviation either. However, I never thought the community would give it so much attention! Perhaps in the future we'll have a community vote to change the abbreviation.

We'll definitely do our best to correct game flaws and bugs. The other option would be to take a course similar to POI which is recoding the game in Java, or create a brand new game which is similar such as BFO or POTGS. However, we want the closest thing to the original as possible, and we don't believe any other course will deliver the same POTCO "feel" we all know and love. As for your second point, any project which takes up this challenge faces potential problems. We will definitely take precautions to avoid any legal action being taken against us.

You mention the window's download, will you be making a mac version?
And I'm very happy when you say "we want the closest thing to the original as possible."
I know this may be bring some negative reaction but I'm going to throw it out there anyway......because Seth Davis said flat out NO when asked on his twitter account if DIMG was going to revive POTCO maybe he could give DIMG's blessing in using the the codes to recreate the game as long as there was no $$ made and take out some key characters if they didn't want us using them in the game. Anyway, just a thought since we got a final NO from disney so its not like they are going to all of a sudden reopen the game, I'm coming to the realization that will never ever happen. :(

You mention the window's download, will you be making a mac version?
And I'm very happy when you say "we want the closest thing to the original as possible."
I know this may be bring some negative reaction but I'm going to throw it out there anyway......because Seth Davis said flat out NO when asked on his twitter account if DIMG was going to revive POTCO maybe he could give DIMG's blessing in using the the codes to recreate the game as long as there was no $$ made and take out some key characters if they didn't want us using them in the game. Anyway, just a thought since we got a final NO from disney so its not like they are going to all of a sudden reopen the game, I'm coming to the realization that will never ever happen. :(
The game will definitely be available for Windows, Macintosh and Linux systems. I actually recorded the project video on OS X. The download shared is only a copy of POTCO's original launcher files, letting the public know what we're using to recreate the game.

As for contacting Mr. Davis, we will definitely make an effort to receive permission from Disney.

I must ask, how are you going to be hosting these servers? A big issue with anyone is that they think they can run an MMORPG from a home computer. Will you be paying for server hosting, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
The game will definitely be available for Windows, Macintosh and Linux systems. I actually recorded the project video on OS X. The download shared is only a copy of POTCO's original launcher files, letting the public know what we're using to recreate the game.

As for contacting Mr. Davis, we will definitely make an effort to receive permission from Disney.

Nice! Lets just be sure we don't pester him haha :)

I must ask, how are you going to be hosting these servers? A big issue with anyone is that they think they can run an MMORPG from a home computer. Will you be paying for server hosting, etc?

Actually, to start off with, I see nothing wrong with hosting the server from a home PC (should it be connected to the internet with high enough speeds and without data caps) if the computer has a 6 or 8 core processor and about 12 - 16 GB of ram. standard 7200 RPM hard drives would suffice.

On topic, I wish you good luck, @JohnnyDaPirate and when things calm down in life, I hope to apply for the dev team :)

Actually, to start off with, I see nothing wrong with hosting the server from a home PC (should it be connected to the internet with high enough speeds and without data caps) if the computer has a 6 or 8 core processor and about 12 - 16 GB of ram. standard 7200 RPM hard drives would suffice.

The issue with that is, if this becomes popular (which i'm assuming it will), there could be thousands of players on a server that is hosted by a home computer. If there's a hacker, modder, whatever, your computer is the thing they will be going after to shut down the game if they were trying to accomplish that. Plus, the lag would be awful if there was lots of people on. Having a hard drive that would "suffice" doesn't make for a good MMORPG.

You finally announced it. I don't know how long its been since I found it but quite some time for sure. In terms of the name it could be POLR (polar) Pirates Online Legend Reborn. I like the fact that you could do old bodies because my pirate(s) would have been fabulous looking with old bodies, I know because I used Python program (for client side purposes only and to see hat could it do) on them and woo wee darlin' they were smokin'

Off Topic: @JohnnyDaPirate what's the best way to contact you these days? I'd like to talk about something with you in private.

Just wondering...What if another project finishes their new version and so do the people on this site. will there just be two new versions of POTCO?

You finally announced it. I don't know how long its been since I found it but quite some time for sure. In terms of the name it could be POLR (polar) Pirates Online Legend Reborn. I like the fact that you could do old bodies because my pirate(s) would have been fabulous looking with old bodies, I know because I used Python program (for client side purposes only and to see hat could it do) on them and woo wee darlin' they were smokin'

Off Topic: @JohnnyDaPirate what's the best way to contact you these days? I'd like to talk about something with you in private.

Arrrr! Why can't the name just be POTCOR (Pirates Of or On The Caribbean Rewritten or Renew or Returns) or has someone already used that? POCOR etc. or POTCR... anyway I agree it should be something closer to the original just for the feel of it and to help get the word around.

Garrr...Fair Winds To Ye All !:cheers:
:pirate ship:

Last edited:

With all do respect, thats double posting.

Just wondering...What if another project finishes their new version and so do the people on this site. will there just be two new versions of POTCO?
Then you will have 2 versions, though 'this sight' does not host any projects, but was/is used for the original game, but us being the pirate lovers we are, people like Johnny post these posts here to keep us informed.
Arrrr! Why can't the name just be POTCOR (Pirates Of or On The Caribbean Rewritten or Renew or Returns) or has someone already used that? POCOR etc. or POTCR... anyway I agree it should be something closer to the original just for the feel of it and to help get the word around.

Garrr...Fair Winds To Ye All !:cheers:
:pirate ship:
Because there already is a project similar in name to which you suggest.

@JohnnyDaPirate: If you don't mind me asking, how many players on the development team of this project are ex-POTCO players and for those whom possibly aren't, what qualifications do they possess and/or bring towards assisting a POTCO emulator such as this?

Thank you.

Then you will have 2 versions, though 'this sight' does not host any projects, but was/is used for the original game, but us being the pirate lovers we are, people like Johnny post these posts here to keep us informed.

Because there already is a project similar in name to which you suggest.
Garr! Thanks Joshua...I know, but I wasn't suggesting something similar, I just don't see why we can't call it something familiar ie. POTCOR, POCOR, POTCR etc. etc.
:arrrrr::pirate ship::cheers:

Back