The Memory Leak caused by Sound Effects

Jack Cannonskull

Pirate Lord
I have a question. Is this "memory leak" that is being caused by sound effects ever going to get fixed?
I keep hearing people say "Turn of sound effects." TBH I really don't want to though, I like the sound effects they give a nice feel to this game or any game. So is this ever going to be fixed??

This is an unsubstantiated claim, and an outright false one as far as we can tell. We've heard it non-stop the past couple of weeks and we have no idea where it originated.

If the game actually performs better with audio disabled then that's news to us, but at this point we believe it's just the placebo effect at work.

Has anyone even tested this to see if this is an actual problem? They are probably all thinking back to when audio switching, playing, etc. caused lag, and has since been fixed. If someone wants to do actual testing to see if this is an issue, ie) take an average of time online with audio and without audio, doing similar activities, then please do. At the moment though as @Ecio said, its a false claim.

I like fake news.

This is an unsubstantiated claim, and an outright false one as far as we can tell. We've heard it non-stop the past couple of weeks and we have no idea where it originated.

If the game actually performs better with audio disabled then that's news to us, but at this point we believe it's just the placebo effect at work.

Has anyone even tested this to see if this is an actual problem? They are probably all thinking back to when audio switching, playing, etc. caused lag, and has since been fixed. If someone wants to do actual testing to see if this is an issue, ie) take an average of time online with audio and without audio, doing similar activities, then please do. At the moment though as @Ecio said, its a false claim.
I, Jack Cannonskull never knew this was a fake claim. I thought this was true (probably because so many people were saying it was)
I will do some testing on this lets say this.

First I will do some mat runs with audio on and see
1. How long I can play without crashing
2. How much lag I'm experiencing
(And just how the game preforms)

Then I will turn ALL audio off and see if anything changes

(I know that one time does not necessarily mean anything but I'm going to try it)

When comparing this version to the original Disney one, I find that there are less sounds and music tracks...

Turn sound off in the Audio tab of Game Options; uncheck the Sound Effects, Music, and First Mate box. It is a temporary Band-Aid on the crashing problem, its not perfect but it severely reduces them.

Although, yes you are entirely correct that he never states that a memory leak is the issue, after reading Seahawk's suggestion, turning all Audio off have basically stopped all of my crashing entirely. Since turning my audio off entirely (for about a week now) I have NEVER crashed while sailing or porting. I have had things like my ships glitching when launching or the crew bugging out and I might have to relog for those reasons, but I have never since crashed back to my desktop at any point. On the contrary to that statement I do find that after much longer periods of time the game will close out around Darkheart for example; however, that affects basically everyone in that area regardless of audio sounds. Maybe it's just a lucky update that fixed all of the issues that I had, but somehow others still experience them. I've recommended to my guild mates and friends that if they're having excessive issues crashing to try turning their audio off and see if their experience changes. As per Seahawk's suggestion this would be a temporary band-aid that isn't perfect but does severely reduce them. There's a good chance people saw this and deduced memory leak caused by audio.

Uncertain but I believe one of my guild-mates was curious of this and tracked their memory usage and deduced that it would crash after a certain point, but that isn't something that I could confirm nor associate directly to audio and is possibly unrelated to this topic.

Link to the original post where Seahawk mentions this; and where I could think it originated. Its certainly where I saw it, and where I decided to try turning my audio off to exceptional results.

https://piratesforums.co/threads/sailing-is-so-broken.19690/#post-274247

Ahoy! :piratedance:

This might as well be my first post, so hello there!
To add to this thread, I have conducted a simple test with the different audio settings.
In a relative note, I have seen the game to crash around 2GB of memory when just playing normally, with or without sound/music.

I recorded different results of memory usage with the sound/music on and off.
I only did 3 tests consisting of:
  • No Sound No Music
  • No Music
  • Sound & Music On

It's not perfect test, or a complicated one at the very least, but I hope these results may be useful to some.

I have also uploaded my test footage:
The original recording is almost 25mins long, so I sped up the video. I also had a take that spawned me at a different spot from the start, so I restarted the game. You may see an edit in the video before the 3rd test.

The Test:
I have included a window capture of task manager in the video.
Take a look at tlopo.exe (32 bit), the second column is what the current memory usage is.

The steps I repeated throughout the video:

1. Change setting.
2. Restart the game.
3. Logged in at Padres Del Fuego, & turned around facing boats.
4. Board my ship.
5. Sailed up until Port Royal, facing the right side.
6. Sailed around Port Royal heading to Outcast Isle.
7. Ported at Outcast Isle.
8. Looked around, then teleported to Padres Del Fuego.
9. Looked around again.

The Results:
No Sound No Music - ~985.3 MB
No Music - ~999.8 MB
Sound & Music On - ~970.6 MB

So yeah... The results are within a ~30MB difference, but staying bellow 1GB. Yes this test didn't go all the way until the game crashes at 2GB, but hopefully this is long enough to determine the idea of sound/music settings having an effect. The crashes/memory leaks could be because of different reasons. In which, that is up to the devs to find. Take this information as you will! :jack:

tl;dr - My conclusion, looking at the results, I don't think the sound or music has anything to do with crashes in regards to memory leaks.

To add to this thread, I have conducted a simple test with the different audio settings.
In a relative note, I have seen the game to crash around 2GB of memory when just playing normally, with or without sound/music.

• No Sound No Music
  • No Music
  • Sound & Music On

It's not perfect test, or a complicated one at the very least, but I hope these results may be useful to some.

The original recording is almost 25mins long, so I sped up the video. I also had a take that spawned me at a different spot from the start, so I restarted the game. You may see an edit in the video before the 3rd test.

The Test:
Take a look at tlopo.exe (32 bit), the second column is what the current memory usage is.

1. Change setting.
2. Restart the game.
4. Board my ship.
9. Looked around again.

The Results:
No Music - ~999.8 MB

So yeah... The results are within a ~30MB difference, but staying bellow 1GB. Yes this test didn't go all the way until the game crashes at 2GB, but hopefully this is long enough to determine the idea of sound/music settings having an effect. The crashes/memory leaks could be because of different reasons. In which, that is up to the devs to find. Take this information as you will! :jack:

tl;dr - My conclusion, looking at the results, I don't think the sound or music has anything to do with crashes in regards to memory leaks.
Wow that's really interesting thank you!

As for myself I didn't test much.
I did take a crew of people on a sailing trip with music and sound effects on and we did just fine.

I looked through my crash logs and noticed something audio-related sticking out.

Right before crashing, I got this error message: (I put the important audio parts in red)

"
New DO:401031202, dclassdistributedShipBroadside
:06-18-2017 23:31:29 PiratesClientRepository: Sending heartbeat mid-frame.
:06-18-2017 23:31:33 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/wood_impact_2.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:34 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/wood_impact_1.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.

:06-18-2017 23:31:34 :text(warning): Unknown TextGraphic: badge-0-0
New DO:401031311, dclassdistributedShipCannon
New DO:401031309, dclassdistributedShipCannon
New DO:401031308, dclassdistributedShipCannon
New DO:401031310, dclassdistributedShipCannon
New DO:401031307, dclassdistributedShipCannon
New DO:401031312, dclassdistributedShipCannon
New DO:401031306, dclassdistributedShipBroadside

:06-18-2017 23:31:34 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/sfx_wood_shatter3.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:34 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/sfx_wood_shatter2.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:35 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/sfx_wood_shatter2.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:35 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/sfx_wood_shatter2.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:36 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/wood_impact_2.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:36 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/sfx_wood_shatter3.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:36 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/sfx_wood_shatter3.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:36 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/wood_impact_2.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:36 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/wood_impact_1.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:36 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/wood_impact_1.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.
:06-18-2017 23:31:37 :audio(error): createSound(/c/Program Files (x86)/TLOPO/resources/phase_3/audio/wood_impact_2.ogg): Not enough memory or resources.

:06-18-2017 23:31:37 :text(warning): Unknown TextGraphic: badge-0-0
"

As you can see, these audio(error) messages appear only seconds apart. I usually crash when in the midst of an intense ship fight with at least 10+ ships going at it (thus the distributedshipcannon messages and the wood_shatter sound effects).

Scanning the entire log, I only noticed the "audio(error)/not enough memory or resources" appear a split second before the crash.

My guess is the game has issues keeping track of all the cannon fire and ends up creating an error through too much sound input.

Based off this and the fact that I see this in multiple crash logs, I think there is an audio/sound effect error that appears while sailing that leads to random crashes.

Lemme know if you have any thoughts! I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue and work towards a solution.

Thanks!
-Auralius

It does seem to crash when i hit a an enemy ship or get hit more often than any other time when the crash isn't related to the 2g of RAM limit.

• No Sound No Music
  • No Music
  • Sound & Music On

The Test:

1. Change setting.
2. Restart the game.
4. Board my ship.
9. Looked around again.

The Results:
No Music - ~999.8 MB

Prior to turning off my sounds, I would crash quicker when in Abassa sailing as opposed to normal sailing, my belief is the memory leak is originating from cannon fire and/or ships taking damage. I'm not currently home, but I will test when I do get home. I'm a little baffled the devs aren't aware of this issue because as far as I am aware, this is a very real thing. When I sail I constantly keep my task manager open to gauge what my current memory usage is with TLOPO so I know if I am going to crash soon or not. It used to consistently rise when I sailed with sound effects on.

What I have noticed is that when you log into the game the memory usage is immediately around ~800-900 Megabytes. When sailing with sound effects on, I'd very quickly run over 1 Gb and continually rise, usually leading to a crash once I near 2 Gb of memory usage. I heard music was a cause of the memory leaks so I turned it off. It helped a bit and I could go longer without crashed, but it still rose constantly and consistently, and I'd crash fairly frequently. My friend told me to turn off sound effects, so I did. I now go up about 100-200 Mb in an entire mat run (filling up my 25 cargo war frigate with only ship materials and rare ship materials). I NEVER crash unless I go out sailing with already over 1.6 Gb of memory.

As for my test, when I get home I will record myself doing 3 runs of the game. First will be with sound effects and music on, 2nd will be with only sound effects one, 3rd will be with no sound on (first mate voice will always be off). I will be making a new thread with these 3 different videos and hopefully can convince you that "hey, maybe we should stop calling people calling this a problem liars and actually look into it". I will post a thread with my findings.

Is this still your stance on it now? Just want to know if I'm going to be wasting my time with testing this later to bring it to the attention of devs.

I'm not here to gripe, or accuse, or point fingers, but I would like to give you all the results of my "tests" to try and prove there is in fact an issue with audio (Not going to say its a memory leak, just a problem, for the sake of neutrality).

Originally if I would sail, I could be out at sea for about 25 minutes, and the game would crash, with the error "not enough resources". I commented on this, and one of the wiki staff told me to disable all of my audio, and it worked. I have been able to stay connected for sailing runs that last upwards of 2 hours. But that's not the only thing. I noticed an improvement on land as well. Significantly less crashes, and lag, and just overall much better performance. You just have to make sure all sound is DISABLED not just turned all the way down. If it's not disabled you will continue to encounter the issues.

Im not going to sit here and tell you all what is and isn't the problem, but I would not brush this audio issue off, as it is clearly an issue for many, with several reports of disabling audio making the game run better, and I assure you it isn't the rig I'm running on. I'm not saying this is a memory leak, but it's a problem, that I sincerely hope you all are aware of.

I'm not here to gripe, or accuse, or point fingers, but I would like to give you all the results of my "tests" to try and prove there is in fact an issue with audio (Not going to say its a memory leak, just a problem, for the sake of neutrality).

Originally if I would sail, I could be out at sea for about 25 minutes, and the game would crash, with the error "not enough resources". I commented on this, and one of the wiki staff told me to disable all of my audio, and it worked. I have been able to stay connected for sailing runs that last upwards of 2 hours. But that's not the only thing. I noticed an improvement on land as well. Significantly less crashes, and lag, and just overall much better performance. You just have to make sure all sound is DISABLED not just turned all the way down. If it's not disabled you will continue to encounter the issues.

Im not going to sit here and tell you all what is and isn't the problem, but I would not brush this audio issue off, as it is clearly an issue for many, with several reports of disabling audio making the game run better, and I assure you it isn't the rig I'm running on. I'm not saying this is a memory leak, but it's a problem, that I sincerely hope you all are aware of.
You see with me It's just that I have heard so many times from so many different people when I say things like I keep crashing they say "Turn off sound." I never really tested the affect of turning off audio but It sometimes does seem easier to sail with audio off. I really like the sound which is why I made this thread because I don't want to have to turn sound off. I'd appreciate this if the developers would look into this a bit more.

Back