The Memory Leak caused by Sound Effects

You see with me It's just that I have heard so many times from so many different people when I say things like I keep crashing they say "Turn off sound." I never really tested the affect of turning off audio but It sometimes does seem easier to sail with audio off. I really like the sound which is why I made this thread because I don't want to have to turn sound off. I'd appreciate this if the developers would look into this a bit more.
And I agree with you, and sincerely hope the devs have changed their tune a bit, because this is definitely an issue, not just with sailing, but with the whole game. This seems to be the root of 90% of the crashes I have on TLOPO right now. Again, I will not call it a memory leak, because I do not want to step foot into territory I do not understand, nor do I want to frustrate the devs, but I will call a it a problem, and a bad one, that needs fixed. By fixing this issue, they will quite literally fix almost all of my (and probably many others) crashes, and take one GIANT stride to release.

P.S. Open a browser window outside the game, and search "Sleep on a pirate ship" on YouTube. 8 hours of ambient sailing sounds, helps fill the void. I also play sea shanties over top of that, and will continue to do so until the audio issue is fixed.

Is this still your stance on it now? Just want to know if I'm going to be wasting my time with testing this later to bring it to the attention of devs.
It is, only because we still haven't seen anything substantial to say otherwise. I didn't call anyone a liar or say we can't be swayed by reason, I just said that nobody has provided any supporting evidence beyond repeating it over and over. It's worth noting that audio doesn't appear to be correlated with memory usage for at least some people, so if it is an issue it's probably localized to something else.

Also worth noting that memory usage isn't intended to be static, and it will vary a lot when doing different activities. That said, if a particular activity causes it to continually rise without dropping then there's probably something not being cleaned up properly with that activity.

If you do want to make a case, it's worth having the task manager up so that the memory usage is recorded as well.

It is, only because we still haven't seen anything substantial to say otherwise. I didn't call anyone a liar or say we can't be swayed by reason, I just said that nobody has provided any supporting evidence beyond repeating it over and over. It's worth noting that audio doesn't appear to be correlated with memory usage for at least some people, so if it is an issue it's probably localized to something else.

Also worth noting that memory usage isn't intended to be static, and it will vary a lot when doing different activities. That said, if a particular activity causes it to continually rise without dropping then there's probably something not being cleaned up properly with that activity.

If you do want to make a case, it's worth having the task manager up so that the memory usage is recorded as well.
I did, I recorded a mat run with sounds on and sounds off, with my task manager visible the entire time. I will be uploading them unlisted here in a bit.

Spoiler alert: I filled up my 25 cargo ship with only mats and barely got above 1k mem with sounds off, I was at 1.7k with sounds on and ended up crashing and I wasn't even close to filling up my hold.

Also I know you weren't calling anyone a liar, but when Ecio says to the OP "I love fake news", as well as the way he responded to him was just outright mocking and disrespectful, it is no different than just calling him a liar.

I don't mean to sound inconsiderate, but all of the things you have mentioned, have been done, and posted within this thread, with results pointing to audio causing issues. Someone mentioned having task manager open to monitor memory usage (which was much higher with sound on), another posted a crash log, and even highlighted lines pointing to audio being a source to the crash, and people have consistently said that turning off audio is the problem, and I doubt that it's a problem with everyone's computer. I know, I have tested this with 7 other players, whom I frequent the game with, and we all reached the same result, with audio disabled, the game crashes much less. It is a problem, please listen to us when we say that. We aren't making this up, to give you all headaches. We are telling you everything we can, because we care for, and support the game, and it's progress, and recognize this as a large, widespread, significant issue.

I did, I recorded a mat run with sounds on and sounds off, with my task manager visible the entire time. I will be uploading them unlisted here in a bit.

Spoiler alert: I filled up my 25 cargo ship with only mats and barely got above 1k mem with sounds off, I was at 1.7k with sounds on and ended up crashing and I wasn't even close to filling up my hold.

Also I know you weren't calling anyone a liar, but when Ecio says to the OP "I love fake news", as well as the way he responded to him was just outright mocking and disrespectful, it is no different than just calling him a liar.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that response was in bad taste. He should be supporting the people supporting the game, not mocking them. Even if it was intended as a joke, I perceived it as mockery, and was afraid I was the only one.

I don't mean to sound inconsiderate, but all of the things you have mentioned, have been done, and posted within this thread, with results pointing to audio causing issues.
I was mostly defending what I had said in my original post, which was before any of that.

Having audio enabled is almost certainly going to use more memory because additional resources have to be loaded. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a leak with audio itself (though I'm not ruling it out). If the increase is substantial then it's something that can be looked into, though the results so far have been a bit varied.

Someone mentioned having task manager open to monitor memory usage (which was much higher with sound on)
The post with screenshots of the task manager actually showed little variance (and actually slightly less being used with audio enabled):
The Results:
No Sound No Music - ~985.3 MB
No Music - ~999.8 MB
Sound & Music On - ~970.6 MB

Anything without screenshots or video evidence is considered anecdotal. It's nothing personal, but the TLOPO team needs something concrete to go off of.

another posted a crash log, and even highlighted lines pointing yo audio being a source to the crash
That crash is an out-of-memory error encountered when trying to load some audio effects. It doesn't necessarily mean that loading audio is causing a memory issue, just a symptom of a memory issue. I know the distinction might appear trivial, but it's rather important when it comes to tracking these things down.

people have consistently said that turning off audio is the problem, and I doubt that it's a problem with everyone's computer.
I didn't mean to imply that it's a problem with their computer. By localized I mean that if audio is causing problems, it's likely specific to how it interacts with something else (sailing it sounds like, but also perhaps also certain hardware configurations?). Until it can be determined exactly what circumstances are problematic, it's difficult for the TLOPO team to determine what the issue is, let alone reproduce or fix it.

I know, I have tested this with 7 other players, whom I frequent the game with, and we all reached the same result, with audio disabled, the game crashes much less. It is a problem, please listen to us when we say that. We aren't making this up, to give you all headaches. We are telling you everything we can, because we care for, and support the game, and it's progress, and recognize this as a large, widespread, significant issue.
We're not ignoring anyone, and I apologize if I sounded dismissive. There's hundreds of bugs and crashes caused by dozens of different things. We still need more information to establish a direct correlation, and we're skeptical when people make these claims without providing supporting evidence.

Last edited:
I was mostly defending what I had said in my original post, which was before any of that.

Having audio enabled is almost certainly going to use more memory because additional resources have to be loaded. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a leak with audio itself (though I'm not ruling it out). If the increase is substantial then it's something that can be looked into, though the results so far have been a bit varied.

The post with screenshots of the task manager actually showed little variance (and actually slightly less being used with audio enabled):

Anything without screenshots or video evidence is considered anecdotal. It's nothing personal, but the TLOPO team needs something concrete to go off of.

That crash is an out-of-memory error encountered when trying to load some audio effects. It doesn't necessarily mean that loading audio is causing a memory issue, just a symptom of a memory issue. I know the distinction might appear trivial, but it's rather important when it comes to tracking these things down.

I didn't mean to imply that it's a problem with their computer. By localized I mean that if audio is causing problems, it's likely specific to how it interacts with something else (sailing it sounds like, but also perhaps also certain hardware configurations?). Until it can be determined exactly what circumstances are problematic, it's difficult for the TLOPO team to determine what the issue is, let alone reproduce or fix.

We're not ignoring anyone, and I apologize if I sounded dismissive. There's hundreds of bugs and crashes caused by dozens of different things. We need more information to establish a direct correlation.
Well, again, I apologize if I came off rude, as it was not the intention, but I think I speak for most posters in this thread when I say, we all kinda feel like, the TLOPO staff, not yourself exclusively, are just dismissing the problem. I'm convinced there is a LARGE problem connected to in-game audio, again, not gonna call it a leak, but its there, its real, and its bad. Forgive me, but I can't provide "video or picture" evidence of my experiences at the moment, but there's a problem, that I hope to see resolved. The game PLAYS sooo much better with sound off, and it's not even exclusive to sailing, its everything. It's my job as a player/tester, to find out everything I can, in-game, to report to you all, to have fixed in the future, so if you would, please let me know, what I can do, to get you viable evidence, that audio is causing massive issues? I don't mean that in a passive-aggressive tone either, I genuinely want this problem to go away, like, yesterday, so if you let me know what you need, myself, and maybe even a close friend, will do everything we can to satisfy that request, because to me, this issue, is the biggest, most game-breaking one I've encountered.

It's my job as a player/tester, to find out everything I can, in-game, to report to you all, to have fixed in the future, so if you would, please let me know, what I can do, to get you viable evidence, that audio is causing massive issues?
Video evidence would be preferred, as it can help to capture certain statistics like number of crashes and memory use over time and by activity, both with and without audio enabled. System details such as operating system and version, CPU and GPU models and specs, and the amount of memory you have may be useful as well.

The more information the better, really. The TLOPO team needs to be able to reproduce the problem consistently, which involves varying certain variables (like audio being enabled or disabled) while controlling for others (like the activity being performed).

Video evidence would be preferred, as it can help to capture certain statistics like number of crashes and memory use over time and by activity, both with and without audio enabled. System details such as operating system and version, CPU and GPU models and specs, and the amount of memory you have may be useful as well.

The more information the better, really. The TLOPO team needs to be able to reproduce the problem consistently, which involves varying certain variables (like audio being enabled or disabled) while controlling for others (like the activity being performed).
Okay, I will do my best to get you this information ASAP. Recording isn't too terribly convenient for me, as its extremely memory hungry, but if it makes the problem go away, I'll do whatever I can. I'll go ahead and list my system specs below (although I can almost promise, this is in fact, not the problem)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-Core @ 4.0 Ghz
GPU: AMD RX480 8 GB VRAM
RAM: 16 GB of DDR3 RAM
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming AM3/AM3+ Socket

More evidenc/info to follow

I'll go ahead and list my system specs below (although I can almost promise, this is in fact, not the problem)
Again, I'm not saying it's your system that's the problem. It could be that certain hardware configurations just don't fare well with the game engine, regardless of how beefy they are otherwise. It's not as simple as bigger is better. Some people using high-end GPUs have had worse FPS than older GPUs, for example.

Thank you though for helping to track down the issue.

I can't provide any technical information currently, but I wanted to say I too have noticed I get consistently fewer crashes with the audio completely disabled, especially when sailing. Does it solve 100% of crashes? No, but it is dramatically less.

(Such a shame really because the music is one of the best parts of the game imo)

Last edited:
Again, I'm not saying it's your system that's the problem. It could be that certain hardware configurations just don't fare well with the game engine, regardless of how beefy they are otherwise. It's not as simple as bigger is better. Some people using high-end GPUs have had worse FPS than older GPUs, for example.

I completely understand! I didn't mean to sound passive aggressive, I apologize. I will try to record some tonight, displaying all of my system settings, and performance and gameplay, and report back.

I recorded my gameplay this evening (while sailing) and if you like, I can upload the footage, and link it, but the whole thing is an hour and a half, top to bottom. I crashed once, when my memory reached about 1,700 megabytes. Blackheart (other person in the video) and one of the people on board my ship, both had sound disabled. Blackheart ended up force closing his game (in attempt to fix a bug with porting) and the other player had been on for ~2 hours without crashing, while I crashed after about 45ish minutes, give or take, with audio on. If you'd like, I can share the video, but its long, your call!

I'm sure it'd take a while to upload, I'll take your word for it. Unfortunately it's still difficult to say it's audio for sure off of that alone (seeing as it's just one crash and we don't have the others' memory usage to compare). I'll see if I can do a little testing myself this weekend. If anybody else wants to do the same, it'd be appreciated:
  • Sail for an hour with sound enabled
  • Sail for an hour with sound disabled, restarting the game between tries
  • Try to control for as many things as possible (server and server population, time of day, type of ship, areas sailed, people on ship, and anything else you can think of)
  • Monitor your memory usage each time (preferably in writing or through time-stamped screenshots)
  • Monitor the number of crashes each time (preferably in writing or through other reliable means)
Might be worth varying the above with an activity other than sailing (but still controlling for everything else) and repeating the tests, though a lot of the posts in this thread mention sailing directly so maybe the issue lies somewhere within.

I'm sure it'd take a while to upload, I'll take your word for it. Unfortunately it's still difficult to say it's audio for sure off of that alone (seeing as it's just one crash and we don't have the others' memory usage to compare). I'll see if I can do a little testing myself this weekend. If anybody else wants to do the same, it'd be appreciated:
  • Sail for an hour with sound enabled
  • Sail for an hour with sound disabled, restarting the game between tries
  • Try to control for as many things as possible (server and server population, time of day, type of ship, areas sailed, people on ship, and anything else you can think of)
  • Monitor your memory usage each time (preferably in writing or through time-stamped screenshots)
  • Monitor the number of crashes each time (preferably in writing or through other reliable means)
Might be worth varying the above with an activity other than sailing (but still controlling for everything else) and repeating the tests, though a lot of the posts in this thread mention sailing directly so maybe the issue lies somewhere within.
I meant to post his memory usage as well! At the time of my crash he was at about 1,100 megabytes of memory! We were checking our memory at the same time, and it was at about 1,300 when he force closed the game, after being at sea for about an hour and 10 minutes (due to not being able to port anywhere) so he could have kept going. Not sure if this info is of any use to you all, but I can also get his pc specs, and game settings if that helps!

I meant to post his memory usage as well! At the time of my crash he was at about 1,100 megabytes of memory! We were checking our memory at the same time, and it was at about 1,300 when he force closed the game, after being at sea for about an hour and 10 minutes (due to not being able to port anywhere) so he could have kept going.
Thanks, that certainly gives way more credence to the theory. I'll see if I or anyone else can reproduce this (@DanceWithTheDevil?) and we can go from there.

Not sure if this info is of any use to you all, but I can also get his pc specs, and game settings if that helps!
Sure. It might be unrelated, but without the information we can't be sure one way or the other.

Seriously. So unnecessary.

But I don't know about the memory leak. I've heard varied opinions and thoughts on it.
Although I agree, that the comment was unnecessary, in his defense, I feel the post he was referring to was childish, and rude as well. Although two wrongs don't make a right, the post he was referencing was just as unnecessary.

Back