The Memory Leak caused by Sound Effects

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I believe the remark was a bit tongue in cheek. I can understand where you're coming from, but jokes aside we do sincerely appreciate any help sorting out problems and will make our best effort to get to the bottom of them.

Now let's keep this thread on-topic, please.

Thanks for providing that information @LesPaulObsession

Happy to help @Davy Darkrage! I will continue to do some more testing, and trying to figure out some more gritty details, and continue filling you all in! I would like to point out, strange as it seems, running the game in windowed mode, seems to also aid in the crashing issue. Not near the extent of disabling sound, but it seemed to help. I ran it in windowed mode, so I could drag my Task Manager over periodically, to display my memory usage in the video, and instead of crashing after 25-30 minutes, I managed to squeeze 45 minutes or so out of the game with sound ON. Just figured that might be worth noting!

Although I agree, that the comment was unnecessary, in his defense, I feel the post he was referring to was childish, and rude as well. Although two wrongs don't make a right, the post he was referencing was just as unnecessary.
Exactly. Better to not reply at all, but what are you going to do :)

Crashing every 30 minutes isn't AWFUL, anways :p You can still play the game for the most part, right?
With audio off I can play upwards of 2+ hours! Excluding district resets, and possible updates. Sound being on results in crashing pretty frequently. But still playable to an extent, enough for me to be able to help the devs in whatever way I can.

Hi guys here's a glitch in kings-head getting attacked and nobody is there i cant fight them if i cant see them
Thanks
Game still rocken
Wrong thread mate! This is for the [unofficial] memory leak related to audio. If you're having crashes you think may be related to your audio being on/off, this is the perfect thread! :)

I should really be in bed, but this information is important. I would like to first apologize for being so convinced this was an audio issue, as I no longer believe this to be entirely the case. (that being said, it still helps, a lot, to leave your audio off). After a good sailing run I ported tonight (with sound off), and the game froze and had to be force closed with task manager. When I looked at the memory usage, it was at 1,711.3 megabytes, which is literally exactly where it was when I ran my previous tests with sound on last night. Think that's weird? An earlier crash today showed memory at 1,725.4 megabytes. What seems to be happening is the game is just crashing after it reaches or exceeds a certain threshold of memory. Now, does this mean audio is the problem? No not exactly. But, audio will cause more resources to be loaded (a lot more apparently) and thus cause the memory to increase quicker. It's also not exclusive to sailing, for the same reason. With a busy ship, and lots on NPC ships around you, sailing can be quite hefty in the memory department. I don't know much about code, or programming, etc, but it seems like the game doesn't care much for going much over 1.7 gigabytes of memory, it just kinda quits at that point. Hope this information is of some use @Davy Darkrage , and I'll follow up with any more details as I encounter them :)

@LesPaulObsession Ah, maybe I should have elaborated a bit. The TLOPO client is a 32-bit process, which means it can only allocate up to about 2GB of memory before running into errors. No matter whether you're running a 64-bit OS or have more than 2GB of memory available, that limit applies. The only real solution is to keep memory usage under that range, which should be possible as Disney had to work with the same limitation. So you are correct that no matter what the cause, approaching 2GB of memory will cause the game to crash.

This is sort of what I was getting at here:
That crash is an out-of-memory error encountered when trying to load some audio effects. It doesn't necessarily mean that loading audio is causing a memory issue, just a symptom of a memory issue. I know the distinction might appear trivial, but it's rather important when it comes to tracking these things down.
The game didn't have enough available memory left to load audio, but it doesn't necessarily mean it didn't have enough available memory left because of audio.

As I had also said, having audio enabled will almost certainly require more memory because it's a resource that has to be loaded like anything else. So to that extent, disabling audio may result less memory being used, the limit being approached at a slower rate, and consequently fewer crashes. Unfortunately, and I think this is the part that is confusing to many, it doesn't necessarily mean that the reason the game is approaching 2GB to begin with is because of audio. And without a true cause identified and reproducible, little can be done to address it.

@LesPaulObsession Ah, maybe I should have elaborated a bit. The TLOPO client is a 32-bit process, which means it can only allocate up to about 2GB of memory before running into errors. No matter whether you're running a 64-bit OS or have more than 2GB of memory available, that limit applies. The only real solution is to keep memory usage under that range, which should be possible as Disney had to work with the same limitation. So you are correct that no matter what the cause, approaching 2GB of memory will cause the game to crash.

This is sort of what I was getting at here:

The game didn't have enough available memory left to load audio, but it doesn't necessarily mean it didn't have enough available memory left because of audio.

As I had also said, having audio enabled will almost certainly require more memory because it's a resource that has to be loaded like anything else. So to that extent, disabling audio may result less memory being used, the limit being approached at a slower rate, and consequently fewer crashes. Unfortunately, and I think this is the part that is confusing to many, it doesn't necessarily mean that the reason the game is approaching 2GB to begin with is because of audio. And without a true cause identified and reproducible, little can be done to address it.
Well, disabling audio definitely helps, but, I'm not sure that it's entirely the issue, just a large contributer. So, you all are aware of the memory issues then? Is there anything that can be done to fix it? I don't mean to sound like one of those people who like, and prod, and nag, I was just genuinely curious as to if you all have any ideas on how-to fix it, or are working on fixing it as we speak? Thanks again!

Well, disabling audio definitely helps, but, I'm not sure that it's entirely the issue, just a large contributer. So, you all are aware of the memory issues then? Is there anything that can be done to fix it? I don't mean to sound like one of those people who like, and prod, and nag, I was just genuinely curious as to if you all have any ideas on how-to fix it, or are working on fixing it as we speak? Thanks again!
We're aware that the game sometimes runs out of memory. It's certainly possible to address, as Disney had the same 2GB constraint and were able to make things work well enough. Unfortunately we're not entirely aware of what circumstances lead to the game approaching the limit at this time, and not much can be done until such a determination is made.

Okay sorry, I meant to post this Saturday but my internet was being slow so I had to wait for it to upload overnight, and then I was gone from the moment I got up to the moment I went to bed yesterday. Here is a mat run with audio on vs a mat run with audio off, I hope this is enough to convince you that this is a real problem. @Davy Darkrage
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzZsUM7DHcA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNDK8i4XPE
I can't watch them at the moment, but I do believe that audio is certainly contributing. That being said, after further monitoring and testing, it just seems to be a memory issue in general. Audio only seems to be an issue, because it demands more resources, than playing with no audio. It's the same reason, that the more people are on your ship shooting, talking, repairing, etc, will cause it to spike as well. With myself and 1 other on the ship, I crashed after almost an hour at sea, with sound on. When I had several others board my ship, my memory took a leap, and I only lasted about 30 minutes. After reviewing my logs it seems that the error is always an issue with being out of resources. For instance, one time, it was because I couldn't load another players coat and hat. I'm starting to lean more towards it being a memory issue overall, than an audio issue specifically. That being said, keeping audio off, will keep you from crashing, and I would still encourage people to do so, if they're having issues with crashes. :)

I can't watch them at the moment, but I do believe that audio is certainly contributing. That being said, after further monitoring and testing, it just seems to be a memory issue in general. Audio only seems to be an issue, because it demands more resources, than playing with no audio. It's the same reason, that the more people are on your ship shooting, talking, repairing, etc, will cause it to spike as well. With myself and 1 other on the ship, I crashed after almost an hour at sea, with sound on. When I had several others board my ship, my memory took a leap, and I only lasted about 30 minutes. After reviewing my logs it seems that the error is always an issue with being out of resources. For instance, one time, it was because I couldn't load another players coat and hat. I'm starting to lean more towards it being a memory issue overall, than an audio issue specifically. That being said, keeping audio off, will keep you from crashing, and I would still encourage people to do so, if they're having issues with crashes. :)
Well the crashing isn't due to audio being on per se, but because memory being too high, yes. But saying that audio is causing a memory leak isn't saying that it is causing crashing. There is a memory issue with audio, the audio is driving up your memory usage and the memory usage is what causes the crash. Anyway, if you can't watch them the tl;dr is basically this

1st video: I go out on a mat run right when I log in with my sounds turned on. After about 22 minutes, I go to port and crash when I port. My memory usage is at about 1.7Gb.
2nd video: I go out on a mat run right when I log in with my sounds turned off. After a good 30 minutes, I port with my hold full of only materials. I land just fine, my memory usage is at about 1.15Gb.

Well the crashing isn't due to audio being on per se, but because memory being too high, yes. But saying that audio is causing a memory leak isn't saying that it is causing crashing. There is a memory issue with audio, the audio is driving up your memory usage and the memory usage is what causes the crash. Anyway, if you can't watch them the tl;dr is basically this

1st video: I go out on a mat run right when I log in with my sounds turned on. After about 22 minutes, I go to port and crash when I port. My memory usage is at about 1.7Gb.
2nd video: I go out on a mat run right when I log in with my sounds turned off. After a good 30 minutes, I port with my hold full of only materials. I land just fine, my memory usage is at about 1.15Gb.
1.15 still seems a little high for some reason. A friend I tested with was at 1.2Gb, after an hour and 30 minutes of sailing. As for the games crashing due to memory, I do believe that is the problem, I doubt audio is really playing a key role in that (obviously aside from adding to the memory). A memory leak, by definition is, "a failure in a program to release discarded memory, causing impaired performance or failure." I will not speak in a territory I'm not familiar with, but this seems to be the issue, but not specifically to audio, just memory in general. So, I won't call it something, until I'm certain that's what it is. However, as @Davy Darkrage previously stated. The staff is aware of the fact the memory is causing crashes, so they acknowledge that is a problem. Patience, time, and testing is all we can do right now. :)

1.15 still seems a little high for some reason. A friend I tested with was at 1.2Gb, after an hour and 30 minutes of sailing. As for the games crashing due to memory, I do believe that is the problem, I doubt audio is really playing a key role in that (obviously aside from adding to the memory). A memory leak, by definition is, "a failure in a program to release discarded memory, causing impaired performance or failure." I will not speak in a territory I'm not familiar with, but this seems to be the issue, but not specifically to audio, just memory in general. So, I won't call it something, until I'm certain that's what it is. However, as @Davy Darkrage previously stated. The staff is aware of the fact the memory is causing crashes, so they acknowledge that is a problem. Patience, time, and testing is all we can do right now. :)
Aye, that's just the problem though, the sound effects are sticking around and not being discarded. It isn't about how long I was sailing, it's about all that was happening while I sailed. I did this in Abassa as it is quicker to do mat runs by far in Abassa, there is also a lot more going on in Abassa.

"As for games crashing due to memory, I do believe that is the problem." Yes, that is not being argued, that is the problem. That is what results from the memory leak. The memory usage gets too high, and the game crashes. But there has to be a cause for it, which audio plays a big role in should you have it enabled. Of course there are other things with minor memory leaks, as it will continue to rise regardless, but the fact that it rises way faster with audio on shows that there is a memory leak in relation to audio. I believe if you watch the videos you will see what I mean. So before you respond to this I do encourage you to watch them, or at the very least skip through them a few minutes at a time and check the memory usage each time you skip forward.

I haven't done extensive testing like others in this thread, but I can definitely say that I've noticed far less crashing when I play with audio off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe playing with audio does significantly reduce crashing, I'm not trying to argue that, however, I don't think the supposed memory leak, is audio specific. I'm still crashing, at 1.7Gbs, with or without audio. Takes longer, but the same amount nonetheless. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, or point fingers, but I don't think it's a failure to dump unused audio resources, it's failure to dump any resources. Maybe I'm ignorant to how this works, but that's just what I'm starting to believe.

I believe playing with audio does significantly reduce crashing, I'm not trying to argue that, however, I don't think the supposed memory leak, is audio specific. I'm still crashing, at 1.7Gbs, with or without audio. Takes longer, but the same amount nonetheless. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, or point fingers, but I don't think it's a failure to dump unused audio resources, it's failure to dump any resources. Maybe I'm ignorant to how this works, but that's just what I'm starting to believe.
I think you are confused friend. Memory leaks themselves are not audio specific, of course. There is a failure to dump the unused audio resources. There are other resources that are also not being dumped correctly, and so yes your memory will continue to rise with or without the audio, but it will rise way quicker with audio enabled because the audio files are contributing greatly to those resources that aren't being dumped correctly. I think you agree with me but are just confused on how memory leaks work and what they are. You have the definition yes, but you are arguing against me on something we aren't even on opposite sides on. I'm not saying that disabling audio will remove all forms of memory leaks in the game, it is not the only thing leaking, but it is probably one of the biggest sources of memory leaks in the game at the moment.

"I don't think it's a failure to dump the unused audio resources, it's a failure to dump any resources."

I am not sure if you mean that the memory leaks can come from anything or that you are trying to say that TLOPO has no form of garbage collection. If they had no form of garbage collection the game would crash waaaay sooner I assure you. If you are trying to say that the memory leaks can come from anything, then I'm not arguing against that, that is completely true.

Basically, there are multiple sources of memory leaks, I'm not trying to argue that audio is the only source of it, it's just a large one. The crashing at a specific memory isn't really memory leak related, it's simply the game running out of resources to use, no memory leak affects the point in which it runs out of memory, it just makes it run out of memory. So yes, memory related crashes will always be around the same point regardless of the cause (whether it be audio related or something completely different). I am going to stop here because I believe I'm reaching the extent of my knowledge, may have even inferred or assumed a few things outside what I really know, but that is the gist of it. Anyone out there that sees something they know to be incorrect please do correct me.

I think you are confused friend. Memory leaks themselves are not audio specific, of course. There is a failure to dump the unused audio resources. There are other resources that are also not being dumped correctly, and so yes your memory will continue to rise with or without the audio, but it will rise way quicker with audio enabled because the audio files are contributing greatly to those resources that aren't being dumped correctly. I think you agree with me but are just confused on how memory leaks work and what they are. You have the definition yes, but you are arguing against me on something we aren't even on opposite sides on. I'm not saying that disabling audio will remove all forms of memory leaks in the game, it is not the only thing leaking, but it is probably one of the biggest sources of memory leaks in the game at the moment.

"I don't think it's a failure to dump the unused audio resources, it's a failure to dump any resources."

I am not sure if you mean that the memory leaks can come from anything or that you are trying to say that TLOPO has no form of garbage collection. If they had no form of garbage collection the game would crash waaaay sooner I assure you. If you are trying to say that the memory leaks can come from anything, then I'm not arguing against that, that is completely true.

Basically, there are multiple sources of memory leaks, I'm not trying to argue that audio is the only source of it, it's just a large one. The crashing at a specific memory isn't really memory leak related, it's simply the game running out of resources to use, no memory leak affects the point in which it runs out of memory, it just makes it run out of memory. So yes, memory related crashes will always be around the same point regardless of the cause (whether it be audio related or something completely different). I am going to stop here because I believe I'm reaching the extent of my knowledge, may have even inferred or assumed a few things outside what I really know, but that is the gist of it. Anyone out there that sees something they know to be incorrect please do correct me.
Yes, but I will say, when I think about it, audio is literally everywhere in the game. You're always loading audio, which may be one of the reasons it rises so quickly with audio. The busier the audio is, the higher it will rise. I don't know, just my amateur opinion. We will just have to wait and see

Back