The Memory Leak caused by Sound Effects

Yes, but I will say, when I think about it, audio is literally everywhere in the game. You're always loading audio, which may be one of the reasons it rises so quickly with audio. The busier the audio is, the higher it will rise. I don't know, just my amateur opinion. We will just have to wait and see
That is why it's a memory leak. When an audio file is no longer being used it should undergo garbage collection so that it is no longer using resources. The memory continues to rise because that is not happening. So an audio files gets used once and then it sticks around until the client is closed, and in the case of the sound effects you'll have a single sound file being used dozens and dozens of times all of which taking up resources because it was never disposed of after it was done being used and once it was used again it started using new resources (while the old one continues to use them needlessly.

Hi! I just wanted to support the idea that audio could be causing crashes. I have absolutely no concrete evidence. The only evidence I have is experience. Before turning audio off, I would crash when sailing, specifically when attacking more than 1 ship at once, or when taking damage, shooting cannons, and broadsiding (many sounds). I also sometimes crashed when a ton of people were at darkhart, all using different weapons. After turning audio off, I feel as though I crash less frequently altogether , although I have no concrete evidence.

Specs(not sure if it makes a difference?): i7 7700k 4.2ghz, gtx 1080, 16 gb ddr4 RAM, ASUS TUF Z270 MB. I'm not sure a beefy pc does any good in this game, considering it was made for older pcs.

I wanted to post this last night, but just had to go to bed, I was too tired. I have been monitoring my memory usage on TLOPO every time I play, trying to see what's going on, and for the first time last night, I saw something I haven't seen before. It seemed to actually perform proper garbage collection. Once it initially reached 1300 megabytes, it dropped to 800, then 700, then 600, then 550. After this, it never climbed higher than 600, and it honestly, was still gradually decreasing. This was performed with sound off (I didn't want to try sound, for fear of losing the good haul I had on my ship) but it WAS working right. Figured I would let you all know!

I can confirm that putting off the sound and all unnecessary options in the options tab does keep the memory leak controlled I was able to do a total of 10 successful material runs while keeping the a close eye on the memory in task manager, It cannot go over 2000mb. A crash will happen when near that value.

I hope this information is helpful

I played around with compatibility yesterday and had settings at 640 x 480, disabled DPI and 8 bit 256 color and I could not crash, no matter how much I sailed, etc.
Of course, the game looks and feels horrible in that mode, but it suggests the game was intended and designed for it, as that was common fare back in the early 2000s, when the game was in design and development.
Just saying.

I started recieving the echo after being attuned with the doll which has brcome glitched , You still show arruned after being unattuned and the One that was healing still shows the doll effect in hand ! An Old POTCO Bug ! Started 2 -3 days ago !

We're aware that the game sometimes runs out of memory. It's certainly possible to address, as Disney had the same 2GB constraint and were able to make things work well enough. Unfortunately we're not entirely aware of what circumstances lead to the game approaching the limit at this time, and not much can be done until such a determination is made.
Is there any chance that the devs will ever make the game compatible with over 2gb of RAM? Or is that too difficult or require too much? I would love to see that in the future, I feel it would solve many issues. Or at least make it so the game can take advantage of a paging file.

Back