Question Unapproved Pirate Name

WilyJaymes

Honorable Pirate
I recently made a new pirate for the lulz, and as a break from max level boredom. The name I had chosen for this guy, "Watermelon Jones," was not approved. Um...What?

It's a combination of a generic name, and a variety of fruit. I'm just a little confused by this. What is the objective standard for names exactly? Are the 3 listed criteria in game not accurate? If I were to name a pirate "Coconut Robert," would this also be rejected? It seems quite silly to me.

Disclaimer: No, this is not a troll thread. It actually happened.

Last edited:
In a certain circumstance that name could actually be seen as racially insensitive, whether or not that was the reason for it being declined who knows. Is that even something to care about? I'm sure people have opinions either way. They decline all kinds of names, even ones that seemingly have no bad connotation in any circumstance. Resubmit it, or come up with another name is all you can do.

In a certain circumstance, almost anything could be seen as offensive it seems. *shrugs* Anyway, just thought I would ask, because it honestly shocked me a little when that wasn't approved. Cheers.

I recently made a new pirate for the lulz, a break from max level boredom and all that. The name I had chosen for this guy -- "Watermelon Jones" -- was not approved. Um...What?

A combination of a generic name, and a variety of fruit. I'm just a little confused by this. What is the objective standard for names exactly? Are the 3 listed criteria in game not accurate? If I were to name a pirate "Coconut Robert," would this also be rejected? It seems quite silly to me.

Disclaimer: No, this is not troll thread. It actually happened.

It's a variation of the name "Davy Jones" which falls under the rule quoted below.

No exact characters from the Pirates movies (explicit or implied), and no mixing of exact character names. For example: Elizabeth Turner, William Sparrow.

Naming Guidelines can be found here https://tlopo.com/help/terms/

It's a variation of the name "Davy Jones" which falls under the rule quoted below.

Oh you guys really make me laugh sometimes...Turn to page 3856 in your law books, class! Today we'll be discussing clause 47B, which states that one cannot consume peanuts while walking their lizard on the sidewalks on Sundays from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Hah, thanks for information, though. Cleared up the questions.

Wait, one of those guidelines were "No names of criminals." So, does that mean we can't name our characters after historical pirates, or have PIRATE names in general? :pirate:

Lol...I'm sorry, couldn't resist. I'll stop!

If that is seriously the reason it was denied that's pretty sad and illogical. Jones is an extremely common last name and the name doesn't represent Davy Jones in the slightest. At least my reasoning had some sort of "sense" to it. Oh well.

If that is seriously the reason it was denied that's pretty sad and illogical. Jones is an extremely common last name and the name doesn't represent Davy Jones in the slightest. At least my reasoning had some sort of "sense" to it. Oh well.
So is the last name Turner. I think the idea is to not even permit the tiniest “hint” of the approval of the use of ANY Disney-affiliated character names. (POTCO had such a rule too, as you know).

What is ironic about this is that TLOPO incorporates actual (Pirates of the Caribbean) film characters into the remake itself just as Toontown Rewritten has done (but in TTR’s case ‘actual’ Disney theme-park characters instead). This hasn’t caused a major issue yet nor catastrophe. At one time, I really thought it would but...I always seem to be wrong about these things, lol.

As far as criminal names are concerned, I think the point is to not pick a name at all that is already heavily used outside the game. That way, there is no second-guessing on anyone’s part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted the name Toxic Blonde for one of my toons and was told no because that was the name of a band..
1. You could google any pirate name in this game and probably find someone/something its already tied to in SOME way.
2. If that is the case, why are names like Penny Dreadful (no disrespect to this pirate, just an example lol) allowed, as it is a movie.. plus a host of other pirates I have seen running around.

It's NOT a big deal, not trying to make it one. It's just frustrating. Makes you wonder if its just luck of the draw with who might be minding the pirate names on a particular day lol.

-Sigh-

I've seen some weird names. Not trying to call attention to this particular person, but they're called Azazel - the name of a literal freaking demon, and that's somehow fine? It really makes you scratch your head. Lol

I've seen some weird names. Not trying to call attention to this particular person, but they're called Azazel - the name of a literal freaking demon, and that's somehow fine? It really makes you scratch your head. Lol
Then the fact there's someone named Broccoli yet they refuse to put it on the whitelist because it "could be used to refer to an illegal green plant." Really a whole lot of inconsistencies and weird practices on naming/whitelisting.

Then the fact there's someone named Broccoli yet they refuse to put it on the whitelist because it "could be used to refer to an illegal green plant." Really a whole lot of inconsistencies and weird practices on naming/whitelisting.

I really don't understand why pirate names don't automatically get white listed anyway.

Lol my name ends with "Jones" and it wasn't denied. This is the pirate name I had in the original game too, since 2007. And another one of my characters is named after a band and it got accepted so idk

I wanted the name Toxic Blonde for one of my toons and was told no because that was the name of a band..
1. You could google any pirate name in this game and probably find someone/something its already tied to in SOME way.
2. If that is the case, why are names like Penny Dreadful (no disrespect to this pirate, just an example lol) allowed, as it is a movie.. plus a host of other pirates I have seen running around.

It's NOT a big deal, not trying to make it one. It's just frustrating. Makes you wonder if its just luck of the draw with who might be minding the pirate names on a particular day lol.

-Sigh-
Could it be an autopilot thing by tlopo? A program first runs through a list and if a name strikes too many matches it's refused?

Back