Unity

My goal was to just point out the technical stuff, and how combining with other projects would(n't) work. But on the other hand, when it comes to how the community should be involved, I believe the community as a whole should have a voice.

What I think TLOPO should do is build the game like it originally was. Once everything is back to the way it was, they have the community, as a whole, vote on what they want. So this means if we want, say, custom guild ranks added (hint hint) the community will vote on it, and if the majority votes yes, they should attempt to add it. If no, they wont add it. And voting should last at least a week, this way plenty of people have the time to vote, and possibly change their vote.

The only thing that would prevent the projects combining is a lack of cooperation. Also, while I think voting is a good idea, there should be community representatives to directly address issues and concerns. If there were no people to represent the community, then the development team could just ignore everything the people have to say.

The only thing that would prevent the projects combining is a lack of cooperation. Also, while I think voting is a good idea, there should be community representatives to directly address issues and concerns. If there were no people to represent the community, then the development team could just ignore everything the people have to say.
How would individuals be chosen throughout the community to represent the community?

In my personal opinion, having non-programmers on a team is just having a couple people grabbing at a chance for glory.

And from a programming side of things, there is zilch than can be used from POI, since they have no Python programmers, and the whole team was pretty much made up of artists and 3D modelers, which are not needed in recreating a game with the models already made for them.

I agree! That was one of the main things I always found annoying about not only another remake, but all the remakes I ever looked at... they couldn't keep an open mind and rejected people. "We already have a full team of story-writers" - You never have a full team, the more people there are to share , suggest, inspire and edit stories the better they will be! "The head graphic designer doesn't want any more people on the team" - Well, POTCO wasn't his game, so he has no right to tell anyone they can't help bring it back! Note that these aren't real scenarios, I just made them up, and they don't apply to any specific remake. I think that to bring back POTCO the way it was originally, we need all the help we can get. I understand making new wannabe developers gain the trust of the team before being given the "real work", as when you share the code with them, they could turn around and reverse engineer it, or screw it up really bad... so those sort of sensitive positions should require a test of skill. With things like story writing, graphic design, and weapon and item development, it doesn't matter if the person is amazing at it, as the ideas are only rough drafts, and can be polished up by other members easily, unlike code which would have to be rewritten, or restored to an earlier version if someone screwed it up really bad.

EDIT: However, besides the forums I recommend new official sites. Things like the original POTCO wiki shouldn't be changing their articles to accommodate us, they are a archive for the game now, so we should make our own wiki. With the fanon wiki, I think unless it goes back to pure POTCO, then there should be a new one, maybe the gamer one could link to it, and people in charge there could be admins of the new POTCO one too, but again, as with the other wiki, it's kind of a historical archive of POTCO, but in this case it is an archive of the POTCO RP lore. Imagine it as a museum... you're not going to go put some document just written yesterday into a museum, it's a different era, and it hasn't proven it's historical value.

EDIT EDIT: Wow this post is getting long. Anyway, those with absolutely no computer/tech skills whatsoever, as you mentioned Shamus, aren't going to know exactly what can and can't be done in the engine... for example, people would push for better graphics, but with the resources available, that just isn't going to happen. I think that any reasonable suggestions should definitely be taken into account though, it's just people have to start understanding, if you can't do something with the resources given, you can't do it, no ifs or buts. I know from experience doing it, people like to look things up on google and try to prove the devs wrong, "Hey it can be done, you're just too lazy to do it!", but most of these things cannot be done without rebuilding the game from scratch in a new engine, which could take years. I'm not saying everyone is going to do this, just saying... I've definitely seen it before. :)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Lol I just noticed I spelled absolutely wrong, and it contained a word in the filter :p Fixed it, just so you mods know I didn't say anything bad xD

Last edited:
EDIT: However, besides the forums I recommend new official sites. Things like the original POTCO wiki shouldn't be changing their articles to accommodate us, they are a archive for the game now, so we should make our own wiki. With the fanon wiki, I think unless it goes back to pure POTCO, then there should be a new one, maybe the gamer one could link to it, and people in charge there could be admins of the new POTCO one too, but again, as with the other wiki, it's kind of a historical archive of POTCO, but in this case it is an archive of the POTCO RP lore. Imagine it as a museum... you're not going to go put some document just written yesterday into a museum, it's a different era, and it hasn't proven it's historical value.

I don't see why we should move backwards. POTCO is a game, that we happened to write fanon for. That era is over. No sense in moving back.

I don't see why we should move backwards. POTCO is a game, that we happened to write fanon for. That era is over. No sense in moving back.
I was saying we need a new wiki for the new game's fanon/RP :) As you say, no need in moving back, but you can't just tell people no fanon this time, we already did that :p We would have new stories, a new wiki, and new features to accommodate RP
EDIT: Lol already talking like I'm part of the team, all these "we"s

What?! Opposed to roleplay? People used to do it all the time, many people played solely for it! :p Also, not everyone want's to play as part of the navy, so a british themed one won''t really work as our main wiki. I have one that's been sitting around some time now I never used, the POTCO Lorebook: http://piratesonlinelorebook.wikia.com/wiki/Piratesonlinelorebook_Wiki - I need to clean it up a lot, I mostly used it to learn wikia, but something like this (maybe a new one with a rename) that services everyone would be better.
Also I think that whatever the official one is NEEDS to have a '1700s only" rule. People RPing robo crocodiles and genetically modified organisms in the 1700s kinda ruins things for the majority who wants to actually RP as a pirate in the 1700s. Not saying they can't do it, but like with the new rules on the old fanon wiki, they can go make their own wiki for it.

Last edited:
I think this is the best idea, rather than having a ton of emulators trying to be high and mighty with bringing about the success of a POTCO remake, that it should just be done as an open source project, there may be something that you get stuck on that someone else in the community may now how to get past, someone that doesn't want to get involved with emulators for whatever reason. This also allows for more than one server which may not be such a bad thing, then it will simply come down to who can actually run it better and who can keep the community involved the most. ToonTown has about 3 servers that I view as pretty legit, did they all build it on their own? No. An open source project would allow the entire POTCO community to remake their game, then allow different community leaders to create servers if they have the time and the money to run it, and run their server the way that they feel will entertain the most people. Besides that point, nobody is making any money here, so there really is no point in it being secretive and closed source. In the eyes of copyright, an open source project being used to educate those working on it is much more likely to be seen as fair use, then a bunch of groups trying to secretively remake a game and run it how they see fit.
I highly disagree with this. You're saying you want the community to be split up by having a source code make public and anyone have the ability to make a server?

Which is fine but...such a decision is still working with the mindset that a project is being held over the heads of the community rather than the "community" held over the head of said project (any particular project, I mean).

Unlike the TTO community, we likely only have "one" opportunity to get this completely right. (Time is ticking away, is it not)?

*Let's not get blasted by our OWN shrapnel...
Everyone seems to want the community in charge of EVERYTHING... it just can't be that way. We need a team to handle most things for the project. If we give all power to the community, then it would be chaos with a bunch of servers, etc.

My goal was to just point out the technical stuff, and how combining with other projects would(n't) work. But on the other hand, when it comes to how the community should be involved, I believe the community as a whole should have a voice.

What I think TLOPO should do is build the game like it originally was. Once everything is back to the way it was, they have the community, as a whole, vote on what they want. So this means if we want, say, custom guild ranks added (hint hint) the community will vote on it, and if the majority votes yes, they should attempt to add it. If no, they wont add it. And voting should last at least a week, this way plenty of people have the time to vote, and possibly change their vote.
This is what we are going to do.

One problem I must note with other servers is how they compile. Most likely they will be using Freeze. If a server uses Freeze, then they are prone to the Python program and other hacks. It would not be hard for someone who knows what they are doing to hack a server that uses Freeze (even if not Freeze, it would still be easy). I'm saying this because this would get to be a big problem with other servers that will use Freeze. Even if they don't use Freeze, most likely whatever compiler they use will be prone to easy injection. This won't be a problem for TLOPO as we will be using a private compiler that definitely won't allow injection, but if Tom's idea happens, that would mean there would be a bunch of servers that could easily be hacked unless they make their own compiler.

I'm not going to even reply to these comments anymore. I do not find them as valid excuses as to why all of the projects shouldn't work together.
I will say these three things:

*The community will not be divided by the project being open source. I highly doubt that people other than us would have the resources and manpower to run an actual gameserver. Sure, they may make a very small server to mess around on, but they'll still use our populated one for their playing. The Toontown community has not been harshly divided, and they have multiple emulators, not mentioning that the source code to those were leaked.

*A leadership of representatives from different parts of the PotCO community is the best way to go. It lets the people easily voice their concerns and opinions to the development team, as those representatives will make sure their voices are heard. The project will not be led by mob rule.

*If compiling and hacking is a problem that TLOPO has a solution for, then there will be no issue with this project. Why? Because TLOPO will be a part of this project.

Back