Unity

I'm not going to even reply to these comments anymore. I do not find them as valid excuses as to why all of the projects shouldn't work together.
I will say these three things:

*The community will not be divided by the project being open source. I highly doubt that people other than us would have the resources and manpower to run an actual gameserver. Sure, they may make a very small server to mess around on, but they'll still use our populated one for their playing. The Toontown community has not been harshly divided, and they have multiple emulators, not mentioning that the source code to those were leaked.

*A leadership of representatives from different parts of the PotCO community is the best way to go. It lets the people easily voice their concerns and opinions to the development team, as those representatives will make sure their voices are heard. The project will not be led by mob rule.

*If compiling and hacking is a problem that TLOPO has a solution for, then there will be no issue with this project. Why? Because TLOPO will be a part of this project.
It's ignorant to say they haven't been harshly divided. There are 2 main servers now: Toontown Rewritten and Toontown Infinite. There has been a server war going on since early 2014. Everyone talks about which is better, TTR or TTI. It's not as worse as it was when Toontown Infinite would just hack other servers, but it's still pretty big. We don't want our source code to be public. We only want one server, not even little private servers, one big server.

It's ignorant to say they haven't been harshly divided. There are 2 main servers now: Toontown Rewritten and Toontown Infinite. There has been a server war going on since early 2014. Everyone talks about which is better, TTR or TTI. It's not as worse as it was when Toontown Infinite would just hack other servers, but it's still pretty big. We don't want our source code to be public. We only want one server, not even little private servers, one big server.
You are not the only voice of the community though, that is the problem. TLOPO has already expressed that it has no interest in what the community has to say, and has already failed that point. I do not forsee TLOPO keeping the community in it's mindset when running a POTCO emulator, there is not a server "war" I don't think anyone is being damaged by having more than one ToonTown server open. It allows the burden to be spread out amongst two servers, and allows people to play which server they feel has better leadership.

You are not the only voice of the community though, that is the problem. TLOPO has already expressed that it has no interest in what the community has to say, and has already failed that point. I do not forsee TLOPO keeping the community in it's mindset when running a POTCO emulator, there is not a server "war" I don't think anyone is being damaged by having more than one ToonTown server open. It allows the burden to be spread out amongst two servers, and allows people to play which server they feel has better leadership.
Do not put words in our mouths. We have never said that. We do consider everything the community says but you must remember, we are players too. We aren't just running and developing the server. We want to play it too. We want to implement what WE want as well and that's the least we could get as we're bringing your game back. However, it looks like we're just slaves that don't deserve any say... or at least that's what you guys want. I'm not saying there is a server war or will be but after all our hard work, we don't want just anyone to have it and just go make their own server without permission. Also, saying the community can help more if it's open source isn't a good pro, because they can already do that. They could apply as a developer or suggest things.

Do not put words in our mouths. We have never said that. We do consider everything the community says but you must remember, we are players too. We aren't just running and developing the server. We want to play it too. We want to implement what WE want as well and that's the least we could get as we're bringing your game back. However, it looks like we're just slaves that don't deserve any say... or at least that's what you guys want. I'm not saying there is a server war or will be but after all our hard work, we don't want just anyone to have it and just go make their own server without permission. Also, saying the community can help more if it's open source isn't a good pro, because they can already do that. They could apply as a developer or suggest things.
I am not putting words into anyone's mouth. I am telling you the expressions in which you made in your thread TLOPO, that it is the way several community members feel. So, you are saying that you want to claim all this work to be yours, and not just let anyone create a server when that is in fact what you are doing to Disney. You are making an emulator without permissions so what is the issue with the community creating their own servers as well?

I am not putting words into anyone's mouth. I am telling you the expressions in which you made in your thread TLOPO, that it is the way several community members feel. So, you are saying that you want to claim all this work to be yours, and not just let anyone create a server when that is in fact what you are doing to Disney. You are making an emulator without permissions so what is the issue with the community creating their own servers as well?
You must understand how hard this is. Unlike creating a Toontown server, the POTCO source doesn't come with most of its AIs unlike Toontown. The most important things do not have Disney's AIs in them unlike Toontown. We have had to write AIs and fix so much code and it takes a long time. People can create their own server off of Disney's code or whatever, but why should they have to use ours? If they want to run a server, they should learn how to code it, not just host it. Yes, we're using Disney's code, but without it it would take... probably all this time since we started off of Disney's code just to get Make a Pirate complete (and we have more than Make a Pirate right now, that was finished many months ago). Not only that, but Disney's legal team themselves say it's okay as long as you don't profit off of it. We obviously wouldn't have a copyright or anything to stop people if we got leaked, but you see what I'm saying.

You must understand how hard this is. Unlike creating a Toontown server, the POTCO source doesn't come with most of its AIs unlike Toontown. The most important things do not have Disney's AIs in them unlike Toontown. We have had to write AIs and fix so much code and it takes a long time. People can create their own server off of Disney's code or whatever, but why should they have to use ours? If they want to run a server, they should learn how to code it, not just host it. Yes, we're using Disney's code, but without it it would take... probably all this time since we started off of Disney's code just to get Make a Pirate complete (and we have more than Make a Pirate right now, that was finished many months ago). Not only that, but Disney's legal team themselves say it's okay as long as you don't profit off of it. We obviously wouldn't have a copyright or anything to stop people if we got leaked, but you see what I'm saying.
Where did Disney's legal team tell you themselves it was okay as long as profit wasn't made? I'm sure that even if you don't make it open source it will more than likely get leaked. Making it open source combines the efforts of anyone wanting to take part in a POTCO remake, and then allows each project to go off and create the server that they had in mind. This isn't going to be hundreds of servers, because people aren't going to play hundreds of servers. It realistically would be probably around 3 or 4 major servers. Similar to the current TT servers.

Working together with other groups would make it more efficient and easier to make the game. Each group has a different set of skills. Having more people working together on the game will also get the game out faster. We have been waiting for years, and this is the time to ban together and recreate our favorite game in existence.

Just my 2 cents as a fan of the community and POTCO since 2008.

Where did Disney's legal team tell you themselves it was okay as long as profit wasn't made? I'm sure that even if you don't make it open source it will more than likely get leaked. Making it open source combines the efforts of anyone wanting to take part in a POTCO remake, and then allows each project to go off and create the server that they had in mind. This isn't going to be hundreds of servers, because people aren't going to play hundreds of servers. It realistically would be probably around 3 or 4 major servers. Similar to the current TT servers.
3 or 4 major servers... yeah, the community will be split up for sure, broham.

Working together with other groups would make it more efficient and easier to make the game. Each group has a different set of skills. Having more people working together on the game will also get the game out faster. We have been waiting for years, and this is the time to ban together and recreate our favorite game in existence.

Just my 2 cents as a fan of the community and POTCO since 2008.
It would be nice for all servers to unite but it looks like there are different ideas. But it looks like everyone likes to criticize TLOPO for not supporting the community... woo

3 or 4 major servers... yeah, the community will be split up for sure, broham.
The community will be split no matter what.. lol I mean, I'm not going to log in one day and decide to hang out with an entirely different type of people. The server's reflect the type of people that want to play it. There is a TT server that allows you to request your old toon back and ask for different levels, because they just want to go out and experience certain parts of the game again. There could be a heavy role-playing server that everyone on that server is completely full of role-players, there are hundreds of ideas in which a POTCO emulator could be ran, but it is limited if only one project that doesn't have the community in mind creates the game and chooses to do whatever they want to do with it because they are the developers, rather than taking on key leaders of the current POTCO community that has been here for a while, to include people such as Shamus the Brute, Davy, Captain Starr and all those others that have been here for such a long time that have always had the community at heart.

The community will be split no matter what.. lol I mean, I'm not going to log in one day and decide to hang out with an entirely different type of people. The server's reflect the type of people that want to play it. There is a TT server that allows you to request your old toon back and ask for different levels, because they just want to go out and experience certain parts of the game again. There could be a heavy role-playing server that everyone on that server is completely full of role-players, there are hundreds of ideas in which a POTCO emulator could be ran, but it is limited if only one project that doesn't have the community in mind creates the game and chooses to do whatever they want to do with it because they are the developers, rather than taking on key leaders of the current POTCO community that has been here for a while, to include people such as Shamus the Brute, Davy, Captain Starr and all those others that have been here for such a long time that have always had the community at heart.
1. you can lie about your old toon easily

2. first of all we aren't listening to the community... now you saying shamus, davy, and captain starr etc are the only ones that really need to suggest anything

3. that's not what we're going to do, we always have the community in mind and we plan to get their input for a lot of things, but we deserve the ability to do some things we want as well.

4. you will be able to role play on TLOPO

2. first of all we aren't listening to the community... now you saying shamus, davy, and captain starr etc are the only ones that really need to suggest anything

3. that's not what we're going to do, we always have the community in mind and we plan to get their input for a lot of things, but we deserve the ability to do some things we want as well.

You clearly didn't take any of that in the way I intended because none of those answers addressed anything. I'm done commenting here. Sorry folks! The POTCO community can hope and dream for a consolidated effort but it will clearly never happen because of some simple disagreements, egos, and personal issues with people.

You clearly didn't take any of that in the way I intended because none of those answers addressed anything. I'm done commenting here. Sorry folks! The POTCO community can hope and dream for a consolidated effort but it will clearly never happen because of some simple disagreements, egos, and personal issues with people.

Ladies, ladies please. You are both equally ugly. Now calm down and start acting mature.
thx

I know for a fact that I don't have to read the thread in order to know there's quite the ping pong going on 'round these here parts. As I've stated in other threads while it may not be my jurisdiction, it doesn't mean my words have no merit to them. I advise that any arguing not continue-I don't care who started it or who's said more bla bla bla. It best be to lay down our arms.

Something else some of you should consider when arguing about POTCO Emulators/Remakes in general (this is non moderation advisement): This is a POTCO Community and everyone wants it back. It should be a community effort. ToonTown if they were as advanced as us in terms of how their game worked they'd still have gottne their game up faster than we can because of the constant who knows best sentiment. There is no one, but many in which many equates to the community.

Let's not argue over petty things. The fact that this isn't the only thread where there's controversy that treads along the line of breaking policy concerns me that we can not be able to discuss something of close importance to us maturely and without breaking out into punches. Furthermore it would be a shame if this forced more stricter policies in the future, which is not new to this site.

Again, I'm not the Forum Mod here, but I've moderated long enough (over a year) to know that this just can't fly.

I think everyone needs to help make the game with expectations not to be a GM. Basically, one admin account is given to one trustworthy person who isn't going to play the emulator after it's finished (I nominate Shamus). Then we hold votes for who gets to be a GM for x categoty, like who is the RP Event GM, who are the in game support GMs, etc... then the person with the "master account" could promote the winners of the vote. If this isn't how it'd done and its done in the code, then there is no need for a master account, and the developers can just code the people we vote for in as GMs.

I think everyone needs to help make the game with expectations not to be a GM. Basically, one admin account is given to one trustworthy person who isn't going to play the emulator after it's finished (I nominate Shamus). Then we hold votes for who gets to be a GM for x categoty, like who is the RP Event GM, who are the in game support GMs, etc... then the person with the "master account" could promote the winners of the vote. If this isn't how it'd done and its done in the code, then there is no need for a master account, and the developers can just code the people we vote for in as GMs.

The problem with this is that, well, gimme a minute.
#1 why should someone who isn't playing the game be an admin
#2 why should the community be able to decide who GM's are. That's not how good MMORPG's happen.
#3 having different GM's for different categories would be pointless, why not just have GM's with no category? I don't recall POTCO having certain GM's for certain events.

Maybe it's just me, but everything written here is just not a good idea. No offense.

The problem with this is that, well, gimme a minute.
#1 why should someone who isn't playing the game be an admin
#2 why should the community be able to decide who GM's are. That's not how good MMORPG's happen.the bas
#3 having different GM's for different categories would be pointless, why not just have GM's with no category? I don't recall POTCO having certain GM's for certain events.

Maybe it's just me, but everything written here is just not a good idea. No offense.

1. Because they aren't going to be biased or corrupt, or do anything with the admi account they shouldn't. They aren't playing the game, just going into the temporary "master account" once to set the real admins
2. That we we are sure we get people we trust, and we can vote them off if they are corrupt... a little analogy: If the president of the U.S. was elected by the government alone, and no one had any say in it how would that turn out? Then what if they couldn't be impeached for doing something horrible?
3. In POTCO, there were GMs that dealed with the community (Q&A guys), RP events (The Marcelene Guild, Black Guard, Royal Navy), Support (in-game assistance, POTCO didn't really have this that much, but it's a key feature in MMOs that should be added), and testing/developer purposes.

If everyone thinks that by making their own remake, or by being part of the dev team for a remake, they're going to have GM access, then everyone will go make their own private servers that they rule over and nothing will ever get finished...

Back