Unity

We don't have to have a large development team to integrate the community, and we're not suggesting a 500 person Community Congress to decide on every aspect of an emulator. But what we do need is to recruit people who have the community's interests at heart. More @Shamus The Brute 's, @Davy Darkrage 's, @Charles Warmonk 's etc. Have people like them in important management spots whether it be managing development or other necessary aspects of the emulator. Recruit these people with their understanding being that the only thing they truly have to gain from managing is being able to re-experience POTCO without the "politics" of emulating the game (If you ask me, the fact that arguing is so bad that we can call it politics is pretty terrible.... Not that I'm not guilty of participating in them earlier on.). A project of Unity should happen. It has to. We're so behind. Even if another remake and TLOPO have been delayed, backstopped, restarted, we should still be further than we are. I'm sure people that lead some of these emulators can agree that due to the politics of things with this emulation process that it has made it much harder to develop. another remake has a history of 3 people in leadership because of politics. TLOPO was spawned out of politics with the emulation of the game and distrust with another remake. I don't mean to bring any negative attention to the people who run them, I'm more so trying to illustrate the fact that there's so much internal fighting how will we ever expect to emulate our beloved game when all we do is shoot at each other and not keep to the Pirate Codex?

In essence:

• Unify all the emulation projects into a conglomerate of concerned people with different progress or expertise.
  • "Appoint" Community leaders with the Community's interests at heart in key emulation positions.
I won't go on about what I've done wrong in my experience of another remake, and other gaming communities. I will simply say my statement on what I (Myself) believe our general POTCO community needs to do. Not that a Pirates Of The Caribbean Online is a bad idea. I simply think we need something to do while they are in development. Since my personal experience with programming is that, it's not done in a year or 2. Trust me. Anyways, here is what I think (My belief not fact) should do to keep the community alive! <3

(Step 1) Come make a account here on Pirates Forums. (Step 2) Finds your crewmates, friends, and guild mates. (Step 3) Then start a conversation of game type of games you like and as THAT particular group move to the game together. (Step 4) Then share you experiences with our community here on the Pirates Forums and over time... We will slowly, but surly re-connect the severed bond of gaming that we call, our beloved, POTCO Community.

@John Foulroberts and @Kat Five Knives have done this and moved to RIFT and are building a wonderful guild.

@Johnny Sea Slasher and others have moved to SWTOR and are having a blast.

@Punkin Pie and myself have moved to LOTRO and are already catching up on good POTCO memories while making friends and in a crazy fun community.

Sadly, everyone else who has not moved to a game or have just moved to a "another remake forums" and are just sitting waiting for the game seem to just disappear everyday... and more of my old friends I want to talk to disappear from the forums here :( I don't care if you want to wait for another remake or if you want to move to a game besides LOTRO, or if you simply can't play a game and stay with us on forums. Just don't sit and wait for POTCO to come back... stay and connect with us. The legend of Pirates Of The Caribbean is long from dead.... it's right here.

That's my option, and this is my home. <3

This is why we're hosting Pirates of the Caribbean Online: Minecraft. We understand that the developmental process is a long and tiring one, truly, We do. This is why we're providing both a haven and a refuge for former POTCO players who can still relive the POTCO experience, but without having to wait for another year or two. In fact, we're open beta in a couple of days. Not single player, multiplayer. All of the staff here at POTCO MC have a passion for what we do and strive to please this community, and keep hope alive. As our mission statement clearly states: "We're restoring lost hope to a very special community."

I won't go on about what I've done wrong in my experience of another remake, and other gaming communities. I will simply say my statement on what I (Myself) believe our general POTCO community needs to do. Not that a Pirates Of The Caribbean Online is a bad idea. I simply think we need something to do while they are in development. Since my personal experience with programming is that, it's not done in a year or 2. Trust me. Anyways, here is what I think (My belief not fact) should do to keep the community alive! <3

(Step 1) Come make a account here on Pirates Forums. (Step 2) Finds your crewmates, friends, and guild mates. (Step 3) Then start a conversation of game type of games you like and as THAT particular group move to the game together. (Step 4) Then share you experiences with our community here on the Pirates Forums and over time... We will slowly, but surly re-connect the severed bond of gaming that we call, our beloved, POTCO Community.

@John Foulroberts and @Kat Five Knives have done this and moved to RIFT and are building a wonderful guild.

@Johnny Sea Slasher and others have moved to SWTOR and are having a blast.

@Punkin Pie and myself have moved to LOTRO and are already catching up on good POTCO memories while making friends and in a crazy fun community.

Sadly, everyone else who has not moved to a game or have just moved to a "another remake forums" and are just sitting waiting for the game seem to just disappear everyday... and more of my old friends I want to talk to disappear from the forums here :( I don't care if you want to wait for another remake or if you want to move to a game besides LOTRO, or if you simply can't play a game and stay with us on forums. Just don't sit and wait for POTCO to come back... stay and connect with us. The legend of Pirates Of The Caribbean is long from dead.... it's right here.

That's my option, and this is my home. <3

Indeed, while something is in development we really shouldn't have a whole dang dedicated community of people just waiting.... and waiting... and waiting... They ought to do something. If we do unify all the emulators with no "party bias" but community interests at heart, I'd say it ought to be here that is discussed in a "neutral" territory.

I was trying to avoid this controversy but I feel like I need to throw my doubloons in the barrel. (I'm coming back for them later, though :gold: )

I feel like TLOPO currently has a good steady pace with what it's doing now. I don't want anything to change with that. I can be patient and wait, I've got school and stuff I should focus on anyway. But my concern is that all of this talk of unifying all the POTCO projects (if there's any besides TLOPO/another remake which have already merged) will just make things harder for them.

Picture this scenario: you've been saving up to buy a new car for a while. You're now able to, and you decide to go out and tell all your friends because you're proud of the car and you know they'll love it (TLOPO going public). Now they all start ganging up on you saying that they want to drive it too. Everyone wants to drive your new car, because they are part of your friend group. Half of them don't even have their license yet.

This is the stage we're at now. Everyone wants to drive the TLOPO car, put their feet up on the dash, and go for a spin. When in truth, it's theirs, and they have rights to decide what they want to do with it. Once they start putting rims, paint, etc. on the car, they'll ask their friends (the community) what they think should be done with it (TLOPO). But first they need to get the car paid for, registered, and running smoothly (finish the game as it was before POTCO closed).

I'm not against unity of the POTCO community, but I'm against invading the personal space of those that are working hard to bring back this game. Have some patience, let them do what they need to do to get the game rolling, then make proposals after. Right now all of this is just putting more stress on them than what is needed, and causing a lot of drama in the community. If people from other projects want to join them, they can apply to join and go from there!

I hope you liked/understood my metaphor.

TLDR: Stahp! Stress & over-complication! Don't crash the car!

I was trying to avoid this controversy but I feel like I need to throw my doubloons in the barrel. (I'm coming back for them later, though :gold: )

I feel like TLOPO currently has a good steady pace with what it's doing now. I don't want anything to change with that. I can be patient and wait, I've got school and stuff I should focus on anyway. But my concern is that all of this talk of unifying all the POTCO projects (if there's any besides TLOPO/another remake which have already merged) will just make things harder for them.

Picture this scenario: you've been saving up to buy a new car for a while. You're now able to, and you decide to go out and tell all your friends because you're proud of the car and you know they'll love it (TLOPO going public). Now they all start ganging up on you saying that they want to drive it too. Everyone wants to drive your new car, because they are part of your friend group. Half of them don't even have their license yet.

This is the stage we're at now. Everyone wants to drive the TLOPO car, put their feet up on the dash, and go for a spin. When in truth, it's theirs, and they have rights to decide what they want to do with it. Once they start putting rims, paint, etc. on the car, they'll ask their friends (the community) what they think should be done with it (TLOPO). But first they need to get the car paid for, registered, and running smoothly (finish the game as it was before POTCO closed).

I'm not against unity of the POTCO community, but I'm against invading the personal space of those that are working hard to bring back this game. Have some patience, let them do what they need to do to get the game rolling, then make proposals after. Right now all of this is just putting more stress on them than what is needed, and causing a lot of drama in the community. If people from other projects want to join them, they can apply to join and go from there!

that was beautiful :')

...Everyone wants to drive the TLOPO car, put their feet up on the dash, and go for a spin. When in truth, it's theirs, and they have rights to decide what they want to do with it. Once they start putting rims, paint, etc. on the car, they'll ask their friends (the community) what they think should be done with it (TLOPO). But first they need to get the car paid for, registered, and running smoothly (finish the game as it was before POTCO closed).
Ahoy. :ahoy: I understand what you're trying to say and I respect the point above you have tried to make. However, I do think that you (along with others) are missing the point of the initial purpose of this whole thread. In addition to that, this thread isn't just about TLOPO. It's about all POTCO emulators in general, and not just about TLOPO!

Referring to the "car" analogy you suggest above, you are absolutely right! Each POTCO emulator project has the right to do what they want, how they want. Regardless, there is one thing you and some of these developers are forgetting which every car needs (in order for the enjoyment of the ride to last); fuel.

Drawing from this scenario, a car or vehicle cannot get very far without relying upon "fuel," aye? In the same way, a POTCO emulator cannot get very far without the ex-POTCO community. In essence, fuel = the community (in relationship to this analogy you have presented).

Look. The issue at-hand isn't about power.:walk the plank:And it's not about wanting to take over the wheel of the car from the passenger's seat and drive a totally different direction! It's about mutual dependency, and at times, a full reliance upon cooperative power shared to prevent the car from veering off the road because some skunk decided to prance onto the roadway with his/her tail up in the air.

:pepe:

*If a POTCO emulator is going to sustain itself by utilizing the fuel it needs to get from point A to point B, then said project needs to be willing to accept this fact and not overly ignore the empty (fuel) can rolling around on the floor in the car's back-seat!

:happy:

No drama ever results if people are willing to discuss things openly without trying to cause drama. Therefore, where's the harm in discussing and talking about things which, ultimately, could improve things further down "the road?"

That could be the best comparison I have seen so far.

that was beautiful :')
That could be the best comparison I have seen so far.
Lol thanks guys :) glad you like it.
Ahoy. :ahoy: I understand what you're trying to say and I respect the point above you have tried to make. However, I do think that you (along with others) are missing the point of the initial purpose of this whole thread. In addition to that, this thread isn't just about TLOPO. It's about all POTCO emulators in general, and not just about TLOPO!

Referring to the "car" analogy you suggest above, you are absolutely right! Each POTCO emulator project has the right to do what they want, how they want. Regardless, there is one thing you and some of these developers are forgetting which every car needs (in order for the enjoyment of the ride to last); fuel.

Drawing from this scenario, a car or vehicle cannot get very far without relying upon "fuel," aye? In the same way, a POTCO emulator cannot get very far without the ex-POTCO community. In essence, fuel = the community (in relationship to this analogy you have presented).

Look. The issue at-hand isn't about power.:walk the plank:And it's not about wanting to take over the wheel of the car from the passenger's seat and drive a totally different direction! It's about mutual dependency, and at times, a full reliance upon cooperative power shared to prevent the car from veering off the road because some skunk decided to prance onto the roadway with his/her tail up in the air.

:pepe:

*If a POTCO emulator is going to sustain itself by utilizing the fuel it needs to get from point A to point B, then said project needs to be willing to accept this fact and not overly ignore the empty (fuel) can rolling around on the floor in the car's back-seat!

:happy:

No drama ever results if people are willing to discuss things openly without trying to cause drama. Therefore, where's the harm in discussing and talking about things which, ultimately, could improve things further down "the road?"
Ok, I like the addition of fuel to the analogy. But from what I can see, the tank isn't empty rolling around in the back seat. The remakes have plenty of community support (fuel) as it is right now! For example, TLOPO's forum has been open for one month (since April 10th). They already have 58 members on that forum alone. And look at all the support that comes on this forum!

Let me restate my main point: I'm not against the idea of getting the community involved closer with actual development of this game. But I would hold off until the game is returned to the state it was in when POTCO closed. After that, once the team(s) start to make changes and additions to the game, then by all means go for it! But currently they have the goal to make it as it was when it closed, and changes aren't really needed until then. They have a game plan until that point, I say let that take shape first.

P.S. I keep using TLOPO as my example because ("to my knowledge") most other remakes are either innactive/dying, or simply quiet (no offense to any of them if this misrepresents them in any way), and because they actually have a stress test timeline in mind.

Oh also, as far as the drama thing: if a thread has 2 points of view, there will generally be arguments, which tends to lead to drama at times. But we're all friends here ;) And personally I'm not arguing, just stating my point of view.

Let me restate my main point: I'm not against the idea of getting the community involved closer with actual development of this game. But I would hold off until the game is returned to the state it was in when POTCO closed. After that, once the team(s) start to make changes and additions to the game, then by all means go for it! But currently they have the goal to make it as it was when it closed, and changes aren't really needed until then. They have a game plan until that point, I say let that take shape first.
It's a good point to be made. And I totally understand the necessity for the "order" of things to be carried out in a specific way. However...

...who's to say that every decision made would be carried out in a way which benefits (and not hinders) the welfare of the community? (@Myst Hexbones - I'm tagging you here with the hope of 'preventing' yourself from becoming overly angry with the very words above that I speak. Granted, I understand everyone's prior frustration in consideration to this kind of doubt. Clearly, an emulator is actually going out of their way to benefit the community as a whole in a general sense. But what about in a specific sense, pertaining to sub-issues). Let me explain.

In my opinion, this thread likely began out of concerns that have previously been raised as to HOW a successful emulator goes about sustaining itself (while keeping one eye on the community while the other eye remains on Disney) for purposes of not drawing unwanted attention onto itself. @xXWilee999Xx - I know you laugh at the thought of everyone being so paranoid but here's the truth of the matter...it's well-deserving and warranted! For one thing, TLOPO seems bent on the idea of keeping things exactly the same. This wouldn't be an issue at all if not for the "trademarked" characters that would remain unchanged within TLOPO. You think I'm wrong about this? Tell me, when you click on this URL link (http://pirates.disney.com/characters) which Disney characters visible on that webpage are not protected still by Disney whom are also expected to be incorporated into TLOPO game-play if such a decision is made? Can you find even one? :confused:

Concerning use of such characters, your naïve to think that a comparison can even be drawn between characters used between a POTCO emulator and a TTO emulator. Know why? Because the TTO brand at face-value (regardless of any 'toon' theme-park influence) is unequivocally dead in the eyes of Disney in comparison to the POTC brand.:piratemickey: "Pirates of the Caribbean" is a current brand which is capable of standing upon it's own two feet. If you disagree with this comparison, must I then give mention of Disney Infinity (shivers)?

So you see, this is just one challenge which - if implemented - does not have the community's best interest in mind. If it did, then as indie developer you would have gone out of your way to prevent the game from being shut down unexpectedly due to a preventable mistake. Thus, I feel it beneficial for our community to develop an emulator "based" upon the input gained from all individuals involved whom individual expertise could help to assure that a decision is made appropriately given the apparent risks versus the reward, in this one issue shared above.

"based" upon the input gained from all individuals involved whom individual expertise could help to assure that a decision is made appropriately given the apparent risks versus the reward, in this one issue shared above.
The idea that comes to my mind based on this: perhaps you would consider making a new thread to discuss these risky issues and potentially problematic content in all emulators/remakes as a community. That way, the community gets to express their opinions. From there, it's up to the remake teams if they want to inherit these ideas or not (because as we've already said, in the end it's their project and they have the right to do what they will with it).

The idea that comes to my mind based on this: perhaps you would consider making a new thread to discuss these risky issues and potentially problematic content in all emulators/remakes as a community. That way, the community gets to express their opinions. From there, it's up to the remake teams if they want to inherit these ideas or not (because as we've already said, in the end it's their project and they have the right to do what they will with it).
I'd like to think we could wait for such a thing until all the projects unify and then make a thread for the discussion of who what where when why how.

Side note: I would be interested in helping organize an official unification, not in the interest of myself, but to get the party started and see true progress begin. If it was eventually determined by the community that I ought to help in a unified reconstruction/emulation of POTCO I'd help, but for now I am merely offering to begin the first course of our dinner of reconstructing POTCO.

...That way, the community gets to express their opinions. From there, it's up to the remake teams if they want to inherit these ideas or not (because as we've already said, in the end it's their project and they have the right to do what they will with it).
Which would help but you see, the power of the decision-making process is still up to the individualized team. The community has "no" final say in the matter, which is the exact opposite this thread proposes.

Don't get me wrong. From a developer stand-point, it's quite easy for me to see how everyone would be opposed to the sharing of some of the decision-making "contribution." It's a completely different mindset which is quite foreign to what everyone else has been trying to do thus far. It remains arguably impractical as well (given not only the point I make above but also the 'need' for everyone to WANT to remain in-charge of a POTCO emulator).

For purposes of this thread, I do agree that this is a step in the right direction! I also feel quite strongly that just because someone can code/program a game back from the dead doesn't magically make them mature/responsible/"management" savvy enough to handle an emulated community on a day-to-day basis. The skills needed to do both can be intermingled but, the odds of the same staff excelling in most every facet required would be few and far between.

Which would help but you see, the power of the decision-making process is still up to the individualized team. The community has "no" final say in the matter, which is the exact opposite this thread proposes.

Don't get me wrong. From a developer stand-point, it's quite easy for me to see how everyone would be opposed to the sharing of some of the decision-making "contribution." It's a completely different mindset which is quite foreign to what everyone else has been trying to do thus far. It remains arguably impractical as well (given not only the point I make above but also the 'need' for everyone to WANT to remain in-charge of a POTCO emulator).

For purposes of this thread, I do agree that this is a step in the right direction! I also feel quite strongly that just because someone can code/program a game back from the dead doesn't magically make them mature/responsible/"management" savvy enough to handle an emulated community on a day-to-day basis. The skills needed to do both can be intermingled but, the odds of the same staff excelling in most every facet required would be few and far between.

Indeed, just because they code doesn't mean they're cut out for leadership in a community format. Its for this reason why I've offered my help to various projects and is why I consider myself a consultant. I currently moderate BFO not only for the fact that I want them to win out, but because I don't want them to had made the mistake or make the mistake that many other projects did with leadership.

Enough of myself and more on the point: any given emulator should seek for a leader in which has had outstanding experience or a renown reputation as a great community leader, someone who's job as a leader wasn't on solely emulator projects but on sites like here, Gamers Fanon Wiki (I consider anyone who moderated there or led there though to be one of the most prepared leaders since they had to deal with quite the drama queens), Pirates Online Wiki, etc. That's something most if not all emulators have had an issue with: not having a qualified leader.

Indeed, just because they code doesn't mean they're cut out for leadership in a community format. Its for this reason why I've offered my help to various projects and is why I consider myself a consultant. I currently moderate BFO not only for the fact that I want them to win out, but because I don't want them to had made the mistake or make the mistake that many other projects did with leadership.

Enough of myself and more on the point: any given emulator should seek for a leader in which has had outstanding experience or a renown reputation as a great community leader, someone who's job as a leader wasn't on solely emulator projects but on sites like here, Gamers Fanon Wiki (I consider anyone who moderated there or led there though to be one of the most prepared leaders since they had to deal with quite the drama queens), Pirates Online Wiki, etc. That's something most if not all emulators have had an issue with: not having a qualified leader.
Just sayin', unrelated to all of this, I think that @Jack Wildwrecker is a pretty good leader for BFO :p

It's a good point to be made. And I totally understand the necessity for the "order" of things to be carried out in a specific way. However...

...who's to say that every decision made would be carried out in a way which benefits (and not hinders) the welfare of the community? (@Myst Hexbones - I'm tagging you here with the hope of 'preventing' yourself from becoming overly angry with the very words above that I speak. Granted, I understand everyone's prior frustration in consideration to this kind of doubt. Clearly, an emulator is actually going out of their way to benefit the community as a whole in a general sense. But what about in a specific sense, pertaining to sub-issues). Let me explain.

In my opinion, this thread likely began out of concerns that have previously been raised as to HOW a successful emulator goes about sustaining itself (while keeping one eye on the community while the other eye remains on Disney) for purposes of not drawing unwanted attention onto itself. @xXWilee999Xx - I know you laugh at the thought of everyone being so paranoid but here's the truth of the matter...it's well-deserving and warranted! For one thing, TLOPO seems bent on the idea of keeping things exactly the same. This wouldn't be an issue at all if not for the "trademarked" characters that would remain unchanged within TLOPO. You think I'm wrong about this? Tell me, when you click on this URL link (http://pirates.disney.com/characters) which Disney characters visible on that webpage are not protected still by Disney whom are also expected to be incorporated into TLOPO game-play if such a decision is made? Can you find even one? :confused:

Concerning use of such characters, your naïve to think that a comparison can even be drawn between characters used between a POTCO emulator and a TTO emulator. Know why? Because the TTO brand at face-value (regardless of any 'toon' theme-park influence) is unequivocally dead in the eyes of Disney in comparison to the POTC brand.:piratemickey: "Pirates of the Caribbean" is a current brand which is capable of standing upon it's own two feet. If you disagree with this comparison, must I then give mention of Disney Infinity (shivers)?

So you see, this is just one challenge which - if implemented - does not have the community's best interest in mind. If it did, then as indie developer you would have gone out of your way to prevent the game from being shut down unexpectedly due to a preventable mistake. Thus, I feel it beneficial for our community to develop an emulator "based" upon the input gained from all individuals involved whom individual expertise could help to assure that a decision is made appropriately given the apparent risks versus the reward, in this one issue shared above.

Wont get mad, you have my promise + I completely agree with you :)
Edit: fuel part is awesome however fuel != community, fuel == glory, fame and money. Rare people care for community, and those who do get furious over trivial things ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also, if those "friends" helped pay for their share for the car, then they deserve to drive it ;)

Also, if those "friends" helped pay for their share for the car, then they deserve to drive it ;)
They didn't help pay for it in that scenario though lol. The community currently isn't helping make the game. And although that's what this thread is requesting, I've said multiple times that I feel it should stay that way to some extent until the game is restored to its former glory.

Okay.

The community is not creating the game. We are. We are making the game FOR the community. If we're making a game for a community, why should the community be complaining about it? It's like giving food to starving children and them complaining that it's not good enough...
I think the point of this thread is proposing that other projects as well as yours combine to make a "Super POTCO Remake" for the community. In doing this, more people are involved, the game can be produced faster, and it is more of a community effort.

Back