Unity

I have to disagree about the idea of game masters. I think having game masters would:

a) Allow game masters to use their gm account for casual play, and take advantage of other players or gain advantages
b) Allow gms to favor themselves or their friends, which is extremely unprofessional
c) Be unnecessary: with a large enough community special event rewards would be better given in codes so nobody misses out
d) And finally, most large scale mmos ONLY have game masters for help and support, not to host in-game events

:2 cents:

If everyone thinks that by making their own remake, or by being part of the dev team for a remake, they're going to have GM access, then everyone will go make their own private servers that they rule over and nothing will ever get finished...

If everyone makes their own remake, they have a right to have GM access, because they helped bring POTCO back in the first place.

I have to disagree about the idea of game masters. I think having game masters would:

a) Allow game masters to use their gm account for casual play, and take advantage of other players or gain advantages
b) Allow gms to favor themselves or their friends, which is extremely unprofessional
c) Be unnecessary: with a large enough community special event rewards would be better given in codes so nobody misses out
d) And finally, most large scale mmos ONLY have game masters for help and support, not to host in-game events

:2 cents:
That's why I suggested we vote them in. If they are caught using their accounts for casual play, favoring people, etc. they get "impeached" and lose their status, and someone else is voted in. Btw most MMOs do have game masters for in-game events... POTCO had them for RP events , like the islands changing and such (those just can't be done with NPCs or basic accounts), LOTRO and DDO do item drops every so often, things like that...

If everyone makes their own remake, they have a right to have GM access, because they helped bring POTCO back in the first place.
If everyone tries to make a remake, this will happen:
1. It will take forever to finish one, if one ever does finish.
2. The community will be so shattered, it won't be like the original POTCO

That's kind of the point of this entire thread :/

EDIT: Sorry for double post, feel free to merge

Sigh.. if everyone continues to try to make their own remake, so be it. We'll never get to play POTCO again, or it will be years and years before we play again. Is it really worth it everyone, to postpone the release by years, shatter the community, and possibly spell out the end of POTCO, just because you have some sort of dream of being a GM? Everyone has always wanted to be able to have that sort of power, but ask yourself this - which is better... having POTCO back, just like it was, and not being a GM... or having no POTCO at all. Stop being greedy people, we need to band together, and put aside our selfish desires so we can get POTCO back. Then, we can discuss GMs... if you help out and appeal to the community, who knows, you could become one. But no POTCO = no GMs.

EDIT:
That's true, and if they do want game master privileges it's not something I care about enough to miss out on a remake
Then you'd better be really careful... say something that mildly irratates the wrong person at the wrong time and you've got yourself a permaban.

The community will be so shattered, it won't be like the original POTCO

I honestly dislike it a lot when people call this community "shattered" or "broken". From what i've seen, over on the wiki we've become more close & better friends since POTCO closed, if anything. There isn't any drama about who gets to rule what country or who won what PvP match or any of that garbage. If anything, this community has been better without POTCO, yeah, I said it. The game isn't gonna be like the original POTCO anyways. The memories are gone, whether we want to admit it or not. It'd be great to have POTCO back, but it's not gonna be the same. Long story short, stop calling this community shattered and broken, because it's not. Far from it, in fact.

I honestly dislike it a lot when people call this community "shattered" or "broken". From what i've seen, over on the wiki we've become more close & better friends since POTCO closed, if anything. There isn't any drama about who gets to rule what country or who won what PvP match or any of that garbage. If anything, this community has been better without POTCO, yeah, I said it. The game isn't gonna be like the original POTCO anyways. The memories are gone, whether we want to admit it or not. It'd be great to have POTCO back, but it's not gonna be the same. Long story short, stop calling this community shattered and broken, because it's not. Far from it, in fact.
I'm not saying it's shattered right now, not even close. I'm saying, that this is how you break it. If everyone is playing on whatever server their friend is a GM on, then we're just going to have a ton of tiny low pop servers, nobody will be able to crew up, you won't be able to fully man your ship.. that alone takes away the fun of the game. What if one of your friends is on x server, and the other is on y server? Do you make an account on both servers and have to manage both characters? Do you force your y server friend to abandon their pirate and go to x server? The forums will be pointless now, for most matters at least, because each server would be different with the content, events, etc. In this case, another remake might as well have just made their single player version and called it quits, because whatever comes out of 15-20 private servers (and yes, once some are finished and the code is more readily available, it would be this way) isn't and MMO, It's a normal multiplayer game, that's designed horribly because it's not meant to be that, it's meant to be an MMO.

How about we just don't have GMs? Besides the fact, who said it was up to you? It's not up to me either. It's up to the people who make the remakes. Either way, it really doesn't matter.

Gahhhh... you don't understand what I'm saying! I'm trying to say, nobody "makes" the remake, anyone who can and wants to contribute to the project does, there is no "supreme leader" figure, and everyone is equal. Nobody said it is up to anyone, nor is it up to anyone. I am suggesting this, I'm not forcing anyone to do it. Truth is, GMs are rather necessary, at least for in-game support. No offense, but if you have a better way that this power would be distributed, please tell us. I proposed a vote so that we would have trustworthy people with this power. Look at the history of these projects already how many malcontent and selfish people have you already seen trying to ruin projects or changing things for their personal gain?

Gahhhh... you don't understand what I'm saying! I'm trying to say, nobody "makes" the remake, anyone who can and wants to contribute to the project does, there is no "supreme leader" figure, and everyone is equal. Nobody said it is up to anyone, nor is it up to anyone. I am suggesting this, I'm not forcing anyone to do it. Truth is, GMs are rather necessary, at least for in-game support. No offense, but if you have a better way that this power would be distributed, please tell us. I proposed a vote so that we would have trustworthy people with this power. Look at the history of these projects already how many malcontent and selfish people have you already seen trying to ruin projects or changing things for their personal gain?
We've been ruining POTCO and changing things for our personal gain? Interesting...

No, that is not what I meant. I meant all the times someone has gained the trust of a team, and then done something selfish or mean just to be a general jerk, or for personal reasons (feud with a dev, etc.) I can count quite a few. I won't name names, but in another remake, I saw people DDoSing the forums (Distributed Denial of Service for those of you who don't know, basically spamming a server with information or malformed inormation until it crashed), actually hacking the websites and putting up their own text, people claiming to be from development who weren't, forum moderators gone haywire, and more. I have no problem with the development teams, I think they are doing a great job, just they could be doing better if they all helped each other instead of making this a competition... there's no $$$ involved, I don't see why people need to seize the glory. Just like what's happening with TLOPO, everyone needs to merge into a single project and work together, that is the only way we will see POTCO soon. TLOPO has basically gotten the majority of all the remake-devs right now... all we need to make sure is that any remaining projects join up., and people are informed and don't make new projects because they don't know there is one already. I fully support TLOPO and hope that it succeeds... heck, I asked a few times about helping out on the team.

We've been ruining POTCO and changing things for our personal gain? Interesting...
I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's trying to say it would be best if all the projects were united (hence the thread title), see this post https://piratesforums.co/threads/unity.10324/#post-162581

I have a feeling that not all the projects would be able to unite, but some more unification might help speed up the process and allow for a great game to be produced

In my personal opinion, having non-programmers on a team is just having a couple people grabbing at a chance for glory.
And a team composed entirely of all coders/programmers is different how so to the argument you state above where "people grabbing at a chance for glory?" :confused:

Thus far, only a few coders/programmers within the community have been transparent enough to explain their past identity during the time of their own POTCO experience (where the majority represented come from POTCO 'new game' efforts [such as BFO] and not emulator/remake projects). Therefore, why should key and prominent members of the ex-POTCO community be excluded entirely from the decision-making and planning process for POTCO to be returned?

Such identities, after all, are known by players within the very community said coders/programmers are making a point to cater their interests towards.
Everyone seems to want the community in charge of EVERYTHING... it just can't be that way. We need a team to handle most things for the project. If we give all power to the community, then it would be chaos with a bunch of servers, etc.
The word - EVERYTHING - is a bit of an exaggeration, don't ye think? And, if you sincerely value the community you are hoping to attract (as a result of 'everything' you do hope to achieve), where's the harm in yourself and others implementing non-coders/programmers into a cooperative, community-based team?

*Remember, just because someone can code and program a game's source code doesn't mean that these same skills can be apprenticed off towards "other" areas pertinent to the daily managing and moderation of a successful emulator. IF so, share key CREDENTIALS which prove otherwise (to let it be known).

And so, that remains my argument in the matter...

And a team composed entirely of all coders/programmers is different how so to the argument you state above where "people grabbing at a chance for glory?" :confused:

Thus far, only a few coders/programmers within the community have been transparent enough to explain their past identity during the time of their own POTCO experience (where the majority represented come from POTCO 'new game' efforts [such as BFO] and not emulator/remake projects). Therefore, why should key and prominent members of the ex-POTCO community be excluded entirely from the decision-making and planning process for POTCO to be returned?

Such identities, after all, are known by players within the very community said coders/programmers are making a point to cater their interests towards.

The word - EVERYTHING - is a bit of an exaggeration, don't ye think? And, if you sincerely value the community you are hoping to attract (as a result of 'everything' you do hope to achieve), where's the harm in yourself and others implementing non-coders/programmers into a cooperative, community-based team?

*Remember, just because someone can code and program a game's source code doesn't mean that these same skills can be apprenticed off towards "other" areas pertinent to the daily managing and moderation of a successful emulator. IF so, share key CREDENTIALS which prove otherwise (to let it be known).

We don't want a team that's too big. We already have enough team members that don't code. If we have too many team members that aren't game developers, then it will be too filled and it would get chaotic. We all agree that the team shouldn't be too big.

We don't want a team that's too big. We already have enough team members that don't code. If we have too many team members that aren't game developers, then it will be too filled and it would get chaotic. We all agree that the team shouldn't be too big.
Sorry, but the suggestion on this thread isn't rallying at TLOPO or any other emulator's "we" (I mean no disrespect). At it's core, it's simply and most basically centered around the ex-POTCO community (as a whole, and not partial). :piratemickey:

We don't have to have a large development team to integrate the community, and we're not suggesting a 500 person Community Congress to decide on every aspect of an emulator. But what we do need is to recruit people who have the community's interests at heart. More @Shamus The Brute 's, @Davy Darkrage 's, @Charles Warmonk 's etc. Have people like them in important management spots whether it be managing development or other necessary aspects of the emulator. Recruit these people with their understanding being that the only thing they truly have to gain from managing is being able to re-experience POTCO without the "politics" of emulating the game (If you ask me, the fact that arguing is so bad that we can call it politics is pretty terrible.... Not that I'm not guilty of participating in them earlier on.). A project of Unity should happen. It has to. We're so behind. Even if another remake and TLOPO have been delayed, backstopped, restarted, we should still be further than we are. I'm sure people that lead some of these emulators can agree that due to the politics of things with this emulation process that it has made it much harder to develop. another remake has a history of 3 people in leadership because of politics. TLOPO was spawned out of politics with the emulation of the game and distrust with another remake. I don't mean to bring any negative attention to the people who run them, I'm more so trying to illustrate the fact that there's so much internal fighting how will we ever expect to emulate our beloved game when all we do is shoot at each other and not keep to the Pirate Codex?

In essence:

• Unify all the emulation projects into a conglomerate of concerned people with different progress or expertise.
  • "Appoint" Community leaders with the Community's interests at heart in key emulation positions.

Back