Glitch Update removed all my Cannon Rams

To answer both of these, Benjamin there's really no way for the developers to tell when a person got a ram
Wait, what? That seems like some pretty weak event logging in the server code. POTCO isn't like dealing with something like WoW where players have hundreds of high tier items stored in dozens of bank tabs, it would take a couple of KB to store the whens and wheres of a character's non-trash inventory.

So i'd like to start off with how unacceptable this is... First of all yes there was a glitch in the game and yes we exploited the glitch because well, We're pirates. Nobody expected anything less, we take what we can and give nothing back, (Well apparently we do give things back.)
Second we, the pirates, shouldn't be punished for a glitch that was not our fault, but the developers fault. It's a glitch that got past you guys not us, we're trying to get cannon rams because cannons rams just make the game more enjoyable. Oh But why would we want the game to be more enjoyable?
Before you start getting angry at me and saying " it was unfair for you to get these rams " or " Don't you want to earn those cannons rams ?" No, No i do not.... I don't know if i mentioned it earlier.... but we're pirates, we take what we get and don't look back.
Anyway before you yell at me for this post saying things like " If you're just gonna hate on the game don't play it." I'm not hating on the game.. I love the game, I've been playing since potco beta so why would i want to stop playing it now?
I really just want the developers to see this and hopefully Understand that it isn't about the cannon rams... It's about taking away the fun of the game
Sincerely, One Epic Llama
P.s. i'd like to note that i didn't realize there was a glitch after 90, I thought this whole issue was about the ice not leaving. that was a glitch in potco so i didn't think of it.
No

Wait, what? That seems like some pretty weak event logging in the server code. POTCO isn't like dealing with something like WoW where players have hundreds of high tier items stored in dozens of bank tabs, it would take a couple of KB to store the whens and wheres of a character's non-trash inventory.
Hmm well perhaps you'd care to elaborate WHY we would normally need to timestamp when items are acquired in players' inventories??

With current gameplay, the only requirement is knowing WHAT items are currently present, not WHERE or WHEN or HOW the player got them.

Instead of complaining, why doesn't everyone do something more constructive?...like, I don't know, maybe plan an event for when Cannon Defense returns where we all come together to help each other race through the Cannon Defense rounds and get the rams we lost.

All this and I am laughing at losing my cannon ram a few days ago to accidentally selling it. :p Found it fishing yet not upset even if it were taken away since they can be acquired again later on.

All this mumbo jumbo could've been avoided if beta pirates were wiped out like alpha pirates. People wouldn't care if we knew the end game was that it wouldn't matter. Oh well though, I'm not hashing the devs or anything, it's just that game breaking things like this wouldn't have such an impact overall.

Instead of complaining, why doesn't everyone do something more constructive?...like, I don't know, maybe plan an event for when Cannon Defense returns where we all come together to help each other race through the Cannon Defense rounds and get the rams we lost.
My guild already has this in mind.

Problem is it doesn't matter how good you are it still takes forever.

Hmm well perhaps you'd care to elaborate WHY we would normally need to timestamp when items are acquired in players' inventories??

With current gameplay, the only requirement is knowing WHAT items are currently present, not WHERE or WHEN or HOW the player got them.
In general just because it's a powerful tool for moderators at basically zero cost, but specifically? To avoid situations like some players taking advantage of a bug to acquire an item while others spend hours obtaining it legitimately, and the only recourse available to the support team is to remove it from everybody. Imagine if this had happened after implementing player trading!

Event logging is vital for policing exploits in multiplayer games, in the same way that chat logs are vital for policing harassment. Without them, all you can do is keep the whole class in after school until someone owns up.

Yada yada yada. Enough complaining, it's in Beta (as said numerous times).
Isn't the purpose of beta to notice systemic vulnerabilities like this and fix them before going live?

Last edited:
Isn't the purpose of beta to notice systemic vulnerabilities like this and fix them before going live?
Yes, it is. BUT, the only systematic vulnerability here is the exploitation of the game when it clearly states in the TOS that this is not allowed. So what if we lost a few rams, the devs decided this was the best way to handle the situation. Also, if you're worried about future hiccups, the development team always has our best interest at hand, not only do they try to implement ways in which they can prevent things like this from happening, they also took the time to think about how this would affect everybody before doing it. Disney would've just wiped everyone's rams without a second thought. Since I know they're still deciding on whether or not to implement trading, I'm sure that they are planning to put things in place to prevent anything of this sort from happening in the future, especially in regards to the possible trade system.

In every game I have played I notice that exploits that give an unfair advantage to players knowing and using the exploit, rather it be by gaining a hard to get item or making the grind to higher levels harder, are kept secret and handed out to only a few friends and friends of friends. All the posts by players saying nothing was wrong with using the glitch make me wonder then why they did not post it and show everyone how to do it, after all, if nothing was wrong with gaining the item that way.. why not show all of us? If nothing is wrong with the exploit used to gain these things then why don't the users post the exploit, what is gained, and how to do it so Everyone can get the advantage?
The fact that they didn't and don't, in and of itself, shows that they know what they are doing is wrong and they certainly know they are getting some unfair advantage over other players who are kept in the dark. The fact that no one reported this... sigh.. maybe shows why some players are so concerned in the why can't we have trading on this game thread. Enough said. The players who legitimately gained their items maybe should place their anger and annoyance toward the players who used and never reported the exploit and not the devs who are seemingly trying to correct the problem and maybe over corrected for now. Also, use caution in how much time and effort from your real life that you choose to put into a game that is still in Beta, no one can predict what may happen from day to day, week to week, until the game is totally Open.

Last edited:
In every game I have played I notice that exploits that give an unfair advantage to players knowing and using the exploit, rather it be by gaining a hard to get item or making the grind to higher levels harder, are kept secret and handed out to only a few friends and friends of friends. All the posts by players saying nothing was wrong with using the glitch make me wonder then why they did not post it and show everyone how to do it, after all, if nothing was wrong with gaining the item that way.. why not show all of us? If nothing is wrong with the exploit used to gain these things then why don't the users post the exploit, what is gained, and how to do it so Everyone can get the advantage?
The fact that they didn't and don't, in and of itself, shows that they know what they are doing is wrong and they certainly know they are getting some unfair advantage over other players who are kept in the dark. The fact that no one reported this... sigh.. maybe shows why some players are so concerned in the why can't we have trading on this game thread. Enough said. The players who legitimately gained their items maybe should place their anger and annoyance toward the players who used and never reported the exploit and not the devs who are seemingly trying to correct the problem and maybe over corrected for now. Also, use caution in how much time and effort from your real life that you choose to put into a game that is still in Beta, no one can predict what may happen from day to day, week to week, until the game is totally Open.

Very few people think what they did wasn't wrong. The thing everyone was mad about was how people that didn't exploit were punished.

Very few people think what they did wasn't wrong. The thing everyone was mad about was how people that didn't exploit were punished.
Yes, I understand that and addressed it in my post. It is unfortunate, but the anger may best be directed toward the exploiters instead of the people responsible for fixing things and as I also stated perhaps the wholesale removal was an overreaction. Hopefully they will come up with a way to compensate or add back the item/s for those who were not exploiting to obtain them.

I'm sure that they are planning to put things in place to prevent anything of this sort from happening in the future, especially in regards to the possible trade system.
I hope so, but that is my concern here - the response seemed like "It's unfortunate, but this is the best we can do with the tools at hand" with no suggestion that there's any plan to improve those tools, even hostility that I suggested the need. Without better transaction logging, the trade system is dead in the water before it starts, it's no use blanket deleting items if the player that abused an exploit gets to keep the profits and the guy they scammed gets to eat it.

Back