Another TLOPO forum?

...What we need is people like @JohnnyDaPirate , @Davy Darkrage, @Shamus The Brute, @John Foulroberts, Jacob O'Fury, @Deleted member 4172 to come to the table and sit down willing to have a reasonable discussion on the matters at hand with our community before we really should even IMAGINE to make a new forums to replace and combine the 2848294893 ones out there. I'm not saying these people are the very dole reason we are fragmented, quite the contrary some of them are advocates who can afect change and understand our community like the back of their hand. A community wide strategy to bring us all together is needed.
I believe my own opinions have already been expressed the best within what I gave mention to within this thread (note: project name/identity must now be changed thanks to a past 'circumstance'): https://piratesforums.co/threads/unity.10324/. Problem is, everyone was basically against the idea which only goes to show that within our community everyone has grown extremely impatient about the idea of coming together as one (even at the expense of relying upon 'other' players from a separate community to develop our POTCO world with the exception of 2-3 talented ex-POTCO players/indie developers).

Everyone is soooooo...preoccupied with the thought of playing POTCO again that the idea of coming together rightfully so as a singular and whole community has become an afterthought, rather than a main focus. Anyway, that's my own opinion on the matter (as I have already turned blue in the face by publicly voicing such an opinion).

When it doubt, just let it out. :crab::congrats:
do you mean let it go (waits for some one to say cue idina menzel )
I'm @Tom O'fury here :)

I like this idea Steve, always have. I don't really enjoy coming on here. I don't like a lot of the ideology behind this site, and I honestly, haven't cared for this site since the start of it. My issues here aren't something I can drop in a suggestion box and move along with. I attempted to make a TLOPO-only website and since my (internet sarcasm) "complete and total lust for power" got in the way, I decided to just basically say screw it. I'm not planning on starting drama but I will say that the issues with us giving up on the fansite was entirely due to the TLOPO dev team, as well as other members of the community.

I'll say this though Steve, this community doesn't like change. Some of us can handle it and others just freak out, and they certainly can't just stick to themselves either. In theory, there are probably several less vocal people that would love to see you run a forum website separate from this one. While, we can always hope that those nay sayers to your forums would just stay off of them and mind their own. We both know that would never happen.
There's too many aliases xD I don't think its community members though as much as community figures or community leaders that are really against the change. I'd say its a "well if ____ thinks its bad then they're probably right" and hence why I reference in my post that the best remedy I can think of is to bring leadership and influential figures to the table and be reasonable. Perhaps some (Who I wouldn't dare say)may not be this way, but I say if anyone wants anything to get done it starts there.

It's hard to bring people to a mutual understanding and/or cooperative agreement when half of them have knives at each other's throats on a regular basis.

Here's my point of view, sitting comfortably in the sidelines as an observer, lets say.

Back in the day there were 3 or 4 active potco related forums and I joined all of them. Some were more reliable than others, more active than others, with smaller or greater populations. The ones I most often visited were the 'other' site to this one, and the castle where Sorrow used to post her stories.

Since potco closed, I spend a lot of time on facebook, because that's where a lot of pirates went to stay in touch with guildmates and friends from the game.

Then I joined the another remake forum because I thought that was a case of following the cause with the best chance of actually remaking potco. I was reasonably active on there.

I revived my membership here so I could keep track of what was going on and the games everyone was playing, posted a few things and mostly I just lurk, logging in now and then to see what's happening.

The point is....you have to figure out what the ex potco community wants. It's no good having the most amazing, all bells and whistles forum idea if that's not what people are looking or hoping for. Given that, here's what I want to see...

1, A place (like this) with centralised news of everything going on in the ex potco community and the potential potco revival community. Interesting, intelligent opinions and ideas and posts, without the constant 'when will it be released', 'can i have my old ship back', 'i think you should include space rockets' type of post.

2. One TLOPO website with direct link to community activities and forum, maybe guild pages, perhaps leaderboards, competitions, news, facebook/twitter/youtube, screenshots, live feeds, etc etc. That one site should be the launching point to get to any other TLOPO related content.

Personally I don't want to be playing treasure hunt around the internet trying to find the latest news or games that people have found, it's extremely irritating. Johnny does a fantastic job of posting news and videos and links atm on fb and youtube.

Here's my point of view, sitting comfortably in the sidelines as an observer, lets say.

Back in the day there were 3 or 4 active potco related forums and I joined all of them. Some were more reliable than others, more active than others, with smaller or greater populations. The ones I most often visited were the 'other' site to this one, and the castle where Sorrow used to post her stories.

Since potco closed, I spend a lot of time on facebook, because that's where a lot of pirates went to stay in touch with guildmates and friends from the game.

Then I joined the another remake forum because I thought that was a case of following the cause with the best chance of actually remaking potco. I was reasonably active on there.

I revived my membership here so I could keep track of what was going on and the games everyone was playing, posted a few things and mostly I just lurk, logging in now and then to see what's happening.

The point is....you have to figure out what the ex potco community wants. It's no good having the most amazing, all bells and whistles forum idea if that's not what people are looking or hoping for. Given that, here's what I want to see...

1, A place (like this) with centralised news of everything going on in the ex potco community and the potential potco revival community. Interesting, intelligent opinions and ideas and posts, without the constant 'when will it be released', 'can i have my old ship back', 'i think you should include space rockets' type of post.

2. One TLOPO website with direct link to community activities and forum, maybe guild pages, perhaps leaderboards, competitions, news, facebook/twitter/youtube, screenshots, live feeds, etc etc. That one site should be the launching point to get to any other TLOPO related content.

Personally I don't want to be playing treasure hunt around the internet trying to find the latest news or games that people have found, it's extremely irritating. Johnny does a fantastic job of posting news and videos and links atm on fb and youtube.
I 100% agree with you, but it seems like everybody is more downing the idea. I just don't see whats wrong with another forum (granted IF it's done properly as you said above). I just don't see why its a downer for a new innovative/interactive forum

That's exactly the problem, 'another forum', but I wouldn't say don't do it, I would ask you - what can you do on that forum that will attract and hold people's interest and which isn't already being done anywhere else that the potco community frequent?
Interactions with the community through youtube, streams, forum contests, little facts about the pirate movies, section dedicated for certain things. In my eyes, a forum staff interacting with the community and doing interactive things with the community will show them that their willing to go the extra mile for the community (not saying that this forum doesnt. I'm just saying). Just my opinion. I have ideas but I dont really want to put them all up because then whats the fun in that

So, this is exactly what the tlopo fansite was aiming for. We wanted to be a place for all news, but the devs didn't like it. They thought we were somehow "in competition" with them making a game which led to a ton of drama that was more behind the scenes, we attempted to run contests to give out our set of alpha keys... but that led into more issues with the developers, as they seemed to want to be the only place people looked to for keys. Unfortunately, this isn't the entire dev team but it was a good few. I honestly think the tlopo devs don't want the community to do anything ourselves, there has even been talks of them creating an official forums and have asked a few of the ex-fansite staff to work with them.

Last edited:
Quit wasting your time on new forums, if you want to waste it by all means go for it. Chasing sites to shutdown just distracts the Dev's even more so just be patient and wait for the game. Let them focus on the game and not the community being a community! Dev's should never interact with the community because all the do is egg on the drama it's so stupid! So making more forums is just going to cause them to worry about something else when they are already moving as slow as a tortoise!

Last edited:
I 100% honestly think there should not be a new forums. The community is divided enough as it is, we don't need it divided more.

I like and agree with what @John Foulroberts said, "we should not be focusing on creating more - we should be building upon one another."
I'm with Mike...

I am so over new forums!

When TLOPO is up and running it will have it's own forum (as I understand it) I think it would be great if William M was able to be an active part of that as he has suggested.

That forum and the TLOPO site should have clear links and ties to this forum, maybe a facebook page or whatever but seriously there isn't enough time in the day to play POTCO/TLOPO and run around a million different Forum Sites... what's the point. We do need to stay focused and united.

Remember there will be thousands of Old/New Pirates returning to the forums when TLOPO launches, we need to have a united voice for meaningful reflection on that which will be discussed directly in game.

My 2 cents worth and as Yogi Berra said "The future ain't what it used to be!"
:sunny::pirate ship::sunny:

Last edited:
just seems like the discussion is going around in circles. you probably won't "persuade" anyone, steve. just create whatever you want. it still won't be official backed by the TLOPO game.

i'll just stay where i'm currently at. just let sam have his laughs and tickles.

...In my eyes, a forum staff interacting with the community and doing interactive things with the community will show them that their willing to go the extra mile for the community (not saying that this forum doesnt. I'm just saying). Just my opinion...
You certainly propose a interesting vision for this idea of a forums that you're considering but there is one important factor you are forgetting and that is a forums staff whom is not only "interactive" in scope but also (and here's the kicker) fair and mature enough to handle the occasional responsibility and demands which play into moderating a forums site successfully. *In my opinion, those candidates whom can best achieve this are those individuals whom have proven themselves to contribute positively :D not only within today's present but also...yesterday's past.

As difficult as it is to ponder, it is imperative to resolve (and not just strictly alone by a 'new' forums site administrator/founder) the question if there are even individuals out there within our community whom express such an interest whom also parallel the criteria I give mention to above taking into consideration their present/past contribution made within the community (post September 19, 2013).

In retrospect, I find it extremely worrisome that so little emphasis and attention has been placed upon the actual staff whom are expected to moderate these NEW forums. Given the fact that our community has witnessed numerous births and deaths of forums sites, I think it's safe to say that at best people aren't quite thinking through things well enough :mad: when it comes to how such forums are to be staffed and moderated fairly/successfully.

*In hindsight, there is no greater assurance than experience!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to bring people to a mutual understanding and/or cooperative agreement when half of them have knives at each other's throats on a regular basis.
A slight bit off-topic here but discord and distrust have "always" remained a problem between some POTCO players (or between one guild faction with another). When it comes to thinking about this issue post-POTCO, the only thing any of us have to go off of now is someone's actions or words external from the environment of any shared game.

Trust must be earned...and that only comes with time. Public apologies (which I 'heavily' support) lessen the clock time. ;)

You certainly propose a interesting vision for this idea of a forums that you're considering but there is one important factor you are forgetting and that is a forums staff whom is not only "interactive" in scope but also (and here's the kicker) fair and mature enough to handle the occasional responsibility and demands which play into moderating a forums site successfully. *In my opinion, those candidates whom can best achieve this are those individuals whom have proven themselves to contribute positively :D not only within today's present but also...yesterday's past.

As difficult as it is to ponder, it is imperative to resolve (and not just strictly alone by a 'new' forums site administrator/founder) the question if there are even individuals out there within our community whom express such an interest whom also parallel the criteria I give mention to above taking into consideration their present/past contribution made within the community (post September 19, 2013).

In retrospect, I find it extremely worrisome that so little emphasis and attention has been placed upon the actual staff whom are expected to moderate these NEW forums. Given the fact that our community has witnessed numerous births and deaths of forums sites, I think it's safe to say that at best people aren't quite thinking through things well enough :mad: when it comes to how such forums are to be staffed and moderated fairly/successfully.

*In hindsight, there is no greater assurance than experience!
The trick, Shamus, as I have learned very quickly in life, is to be two steps ahead of people, but never let them know your two steps ahead of them. I have already taken this in consideration and have already taken precautions and steps to ensure that if I were to open a forums, that they will be as interactive as I am because I want to make it an enjoyable experience for both the staff and the community. Not a chore.

I thank you for your concern in the matter though.

The trick, Shamus, as I have learned very quickly in life, is to be two steps ahead of people, but never let them know your two steps ahead of them. I have already taken this in consideration and have already taken precautions and steps to ensure that if I were to open a forums, that they will be as interactive as I am because I want to make it an enjoyable experience for both the staff and the community. Not a chore.

I thank you for your concern in the matter though.

ok boo. it seems that you had this planned out from the start with your "theory." since you're already 2 steps ahead. you most likely have your staff already in the hold and only want to build up some talk regarding you owning/managing a forum.

so again. what's stopping you from sharing the links and have people start joining your location? if they want to be "interactive" with you then they will. just do it already cuz we know it's coming. why beat around the blasted, bloody bush, mate? you're troweling at roots and cursed dirt. make your site open and public already.

ok boo. it seems that you had this planned out from the start with your "theory." since you're already 2 steps ahead. you most likely have your staff already in the hold and only want to build up some talk regarding you owning/managing a forum.

so again. what's stopping you from sharing the links and have people start joining your location? if they want to be "interactive" with you then they will. just do it already cuz we know it's coming. why beat around the blasted, bloody bush, mate? you're troweling at roots and cursed dirt. make your site open and public already.
Your just putting words in my mouth Jaq. I said above that I already thought about and taken precautions as to what Shamus said because what he said was true and it would come up sometime if I did make a site.

I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't start assuming things. And I'm not beating or blasting anything. This was a very nice, calm discussion. I never said the site was made did I?

I have respected everybody on this thread's idea's and comments. Because to a point, most are valid, good points or statements.

Also on a side note, I take that rather insultingly that you think I just created this thread just to build up talk... I genuinely wanted peoples thoughts on the idea, and yes I did think a lot through before I posted this thread on uh beginning of the week. So I have already thought some things through and certain things that would be asked or come up.

Last edited:
so...
  • based on all the input you've gathered here so far, @William Morgan, what's the layout/setup/scaffolding for this theoretical forum site?
  • are you still stuck on making it a 'tlopo' community site?
  • are you willing to change your original idea?
  • do you see yourself working with other places/groups/individuals or them working with you as associates in your site?
  • what will you do if the general consensus is -- again, based upon the accumulated feedback here -- that people aren't ready for your theoretical site?
  • what would be the lengths you'd go to possibly enhance a pre-existing site geared toward tlopo?
  • what would be the lengths you'd go to make/see your site a reality?

These are answers to your questions. These answers DO NOT mean that its written in stone that I'm creating this site.

Question: based on all the input you've gathered here so far, @William Morgan, what's the layout/setup of this theoretical forum site?

Answer: As a designer, I always push for innovative, creative creations that are user friendly. So something clean, fun, 21st century, easy to use and interactive. This site wouldn't have to be based around forums. It can INCLUDE a forums, but I don't want a solely based forum site. Which is what can make it unique and draw peoples attention. People are looking for information at a click of a button, so with that in mind, a forum would be rather tucked away in the site, than in your face, look at the forum layout. A forum should be a second option for news, not the first.

Question: are you still stuck on making it a 'tlopo' community site?

Answer: I am, I have many other ideas for sites, and have talked with other people outside of this community in real life to get them started.

Question: are you willing to change your original idea?

Answer: Yes and No. I assume what your saying is the possibility to scrap the TLOPO website idea.

Question: do you see yourself working with other places/groups/individuals or them working with you as associates in your site?

Answer: I am willing to work with other places/groups/individuals as a team effort to work together to build up the community to it's former state. One should not work for the other. They should simply work together to build a strong community.

Question: what will you do if the general consensus is -- again, based upon the accumulated feedback here -- that people aren't ready for your theoretical site?

Answer: Well since only about 6 people or so replied to this thread, I'd say that they are a small part of the community. They don't speak for the entire community. I strongly believe that there are people are ready for my theoretical site. I think people need to give it a chance instead of immediately downing it. What if that site is the very key to bringing people together? Nobody has that answer due to the fact that nobody can tell the future.

Question: what would be the lengths you'd go to possibly enhance a pre-existing site geared toward tlopo?

Answer: Depends on the willingness of the current owner to change and what that process would be. I don't plan on just giving my ideas out and then that's it and life goes on.

Question: what would be the lengths you'd go to make/see your site a reality?

Answer: Well it's more just a matter of time lengths, so I'd take as many hours as it needs to make the site I envision. I am a perfectionist when it comes to design (you sort of become OCD). A design isn't something that can be thrown together. It's a process of sketches, drafts and then actually doing it. Sometimes plans change, so you must be flexible, which takes up a lot of time.

I hope I answered your questions. If you have any more, please ask.

Cheers

Back