Can we have an honest discussion about the moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

skolotun

Honorable Pirate
Over many different threads I've visited, I've seen numerous opinions thrown out about the moderation of this forum and of TLOPO itself and how people feel about it. I was wondering, and hoping, that we could just make one thread for the discussion of how people really feel about the moderation here, what can be done to fix any potential problems, and overall just to throw out everyone's opinions on the subject matter.

Notice in my title, I said "Can we have an honest discussion". This grammar implies that I hope that everyone will use discretion about what they post, and discuss the policies and rules set forth by the TLOPO staff. I want to avoid coming after the staff as people and slandering their names, since they're all doing us a great service by getting this game up and running again. They deserve nothing but respect, even if you disagree with what they're doing.

If this kind of thread isn't allowed, I'm sorry in advance, but I saw nothing about this subject matter being prohibited in the FAQs.

This type of discussion is most certainly allowed (I believe it's a disservice to censor constructive criticism). I can only speak for the forums, but I do welcome feedback on our moderation procedures. With that said, please, if you want this discussion to be fruitful, follow the rules. That means:
  • Try to be constructive (ie: offer solutions) rather than just complaining, and keep any complaints reasonable.
  • Don't call out any particular people. You may get in touch privately if you have a personal issue with someone, but doing so publicly is considered naming and shaming.
  • Be respectful of others opinions. Do not start one-on-one arguments. Take those to private conversations if you must. Insulting others is considered flaming.
  • Don't use inappropriate language or profanity.
  • Don't derail the thread.
If things do wind up getting out of hand, the thread will have to be locked.

I think that the TLOPO team is absolutely amazing and I'd like to thank all of our mods for working so hard everyday <3

TLOPO has plans to change the current banning procedures based on the feedback we have collected. These plans are 70% near completion and will be implemented to the game PROMPTLY.

<3 stay out of trouble

To be very honest, I see nothing wrong with the team one bit in terms of moderation.

( Other than the fact they didn't like my résumé ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , but that's HR )

This type of discussion is most certainly allowed (I believe it's a disservice to censor constructive criticism). I can only speak for the forums, but I do welcome feedback on our moderation procedures. With that said, please, if you want this discussion to be fruitful, follow the rules. That means:
  • Try to be constructive (ie: offer solutions) rather than just complaining, and keep any complaints reasonable.
  • Don't call out any particular people. You may get in touch privately if you have a personal issue with someone, but doing so publicly is considered naming and shaming.
  • Be respectful of others opinions. Do not start one-on-one arguments. Take those to private conversations if you must. Insulting others is considered flaming.

• Be respectful of others opinions. Do not start one on one arguments. Take those to private conversations if you must. Insulting others is considered flaming.

Nice, thank you. Gonna add this to the OP

Ok first of all, the Forums moderation staff and the TLOPO moderation staff (for the most part) are completely separate people. I do not know how the TLOPO moderation staff operate but here at the forums, many posts that people find are breaking rules are reported. Once a post has been reported, the moderation staff are required to either take an action, or reject the report.

If it's something simple like a post out of place, that's a minor thing. If it's in the right area but there's a better thread, there's no 'punishment' for that. However, any time we edit, move, delete, or modify a post in any way, we have to go through a process and the person
who authored the post (or thread) must be notified. We do not do things behind the backs of our members. We are up front and honest.

If the post has questionable content, that is usually discussed by several of us on the moderation team. Some discussions last for days as we debate back and forth as to what was the intent of the post, did they cross the line, etc.

Secondly, I've been a part of many teams in my life and I assure you the staff here at the forums are some of the most professional acting people I've ever met. If it seems like the moderators are "picking on you", how about keeping your toes off the line of what is and is not acceptable here according to our terms, which you can read at any time (just click HERE).

KFK

I love how the TLOPO moderation team enables me to play in a clean environment.

You're welcome, random citizen

15ac1d329d5fd23d3e650799e31549af.png

I think the team is doing well, here is my suggestion:

• Update the beta key subforum, current pinned topic is very out of date with regard current game
  • Enforce threads asking/demanding updates, beta keys, etc. the most recent topics in the beta key subforum are all asking the same question and it's annoying

I don't have any problems with the team, however I don't exactly agree with the anti-profanity rules. Most of the people playing the game now played the game when they were very young, and are now 18+. I feel like there should at least be an option to disable the profanity filter for players aged 18+. Just an opinion though, I understand why they need to protect the lads.

I don't have any problems with the team, however I don't exactly agree with the anti-profanity rules. Most of the people playing the game now played the game when they were very young, and are now 18+. I feel like there should at least be an option to disable the profanity filter for players aged 18+. Just an opinion though, I understand why they need to protect the lads.

This takes the classiness away from the game; especially when this didn't exist in POTCO.

Extremely too strict. Usually the reasons for them moderating you are perfectly understandable but the severity of punishments, as well as the tone taken is way too strict and way too serious. Also terminating on only the 4th ban is way too harsh especially since if you make only one slip up out of the ordinary you can get banned easily. in a instant, with no warnings, with no chance. And just 4 of those tiny slip ups and everything you've worked for is gone.

The rules themselves and the reasons for punishing = 100% fine
The severity of the punishments and the extreme harshness of the actions taken against someone: Way uncool.

Don't like swear words? Fine with me, but don't ban somebody if you're already censoring it and no one can see it anyways. Some people type fast and slip up.
Just my opinion.
Exactly my thoughts. I can count various times in which I've let a curse word slip. Many of my friends have also gotten banned for days for this very reason.

Don't like swear words? Fine with me, but don't ban somebody if you're already censoring it and no one can see it anyways. Some people type fast and slip up.
Just my opinion.

Now this I can agree with. If it's not on the list of words you can use, why bother banning people when it isn't going to be processed in game?

Extremely too strict. Usually the reasons for them moderating you are perfectly understandable but the severity of punishments, as well as the tone taken is way too strict and way too serious. Also terminating on only the 4th ban is way too harsh especially since if you make only one slip up out of the ordinary you can get banned easily. in a instant, with no warnings, with no chance. And just 4 of those tiny slip ups and everything you've worked for is gone.

The rules themselves and the reasons for punishing = 100% fine
The severity of the punishments and the extreme harshness of the actions taken against someone: Way uncool.

Disney was even stricter than the TLOPO team from my experiences.

I've been playing since the game opened and I've not had any issues other than a pop up when I said the word "bang". I was referring to the "big bang" when the Universe supposedly started so I changed it to "Big Explosion".

I've had no issues communicating with friends and guild following the rules in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back