Can we have an honest discussion about the moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have not terminated an incredible amount of players, the number is actually pretty low.

Getting terminated is fairly hard to do and can be avoided by reading the Terms of Service. Honestly, just learn from your mistakes. If you get banned for autoclicking, dont be a brickhead and autoclick again.

Im going to mention for a third time that the banning procedures are being modified, therefore getting terminated will become even harder.

I love how the TLOPO moderation team enables me to play in a clean environment.
I agree with you 100% Stephen

I don't have any problems with the team, however I don't exactly agree with the anti-profanity rules. Most of the people playing the game now played the game when they were very young, and are now 18+. I feel like there should at least be an option to disable the profanity filter for players aged 18+. Just an opinion though, I understand why they need to protect the lads.
Now see I constantly here people say this thing but some people just do not want to curse or hear curse words like myself for one reason or another. It does not matter how old they are some people just do not want to hear or In this case See curse words.

I personally feel like both of the moderation teams have done an excellent job since TLOPO came into being. I can only imagine how tough monitoring such a large number of people on both the forums and the game could get, and considering that they're all volunteers I think it's just amazing :)

If I could offer one small piece of constructive criticism, it would have to do with the swear filter that's currently in game and can auto-ban players if too many bad words are said. Since messages that contain profanity are automatically blocked from being sent, I don't see how punishing the player does any good considering the fact that nobody else sees their message.

I believe swear-related punishment should only be handed out to players who intentionally try to bypass the filter, and have their profanity-containing messages sent to everyone around them. Doing that is clearly breaking the rules and deserves punishment. However, saying a normal swear word causes your message to be voided, therefore nobody sees it and no harm is done because the filter works so well. It doesn't make sense to me how punishing these players does any good.

If a message containing a bad word is sent, the sender could receive a reminder on their screen saying something along the lines of "Your message was not sent due to it containing profanity. Remember, swearing or attempting to avoid the filter are against the rules!". But no action would be taken unless the sender intentionally tries to bypass the filter.

All in all, the teams do an amazing job with this game that means so much to us. Personally I feel as if the rules on language are a little too harsh, and I've offered a suggestion that I think is more fair to players who simply make a mistake out of habit or accidently make a typo. Only going out of one's way to get a profane message across should warrant action, and I hope the team takes this suggestion into consideration :)

Sorry for the rant! I saw this thread and thought I should share some things of my past experiences.

Forums
I have had many . . . disputes, with the forums team. I got banned from here for the stupidest stuff. I partially agree with what @MarkPlankwalker said. Someone told me that forums staff had spoken to him about being 'on to me' or 'cautious of me', something along those lines. In your position, you can't just say that. Whether you did or not, debatable, but you cater to a large community. How's it look when you go talking trash about them? Another thing is I believe the punishments are unfair, which I have an example of below. I also have been banned without warning which I was apologized too for. It was no biggie, but if you are going to go out and say that in every case the person was warned, I might as well say this. Also, perhaps it wasn't the kindest thing to yell at an almost-senior citizen? I understand people can be annoying, but in your position, is it right to lose your temper? Also, while this is helpful, it also seems rude.

Recent Forums 'Incident'
Recently I had posted a thread called "Davy McShot", in which I told everyone I was coming back to the community. Another individual, who I now speak with on a daily basis ( :) ) openly slandered and lied here based on information that was shared with him (which I might have just done in my last paragraph). For doing so, he received a 1-day ban. I received a 7-day ban for my followup. The followup only took his points and addressed each directly, and included I had a video of the conversation I had with him (which he had mentioned in his post).

TLOPO
I have not had any real "run-in"'s with the TLOPO staff team. I do agree with this whole idea of not banning someone for something that's already censored. Also, I had recently reported several issues I had been facing recently as far as bugs go. I am having serious bugs though that make the game almost unplayable or unenjoyable. I reported these bugs and was told they were reported to the Developers. I spoke to one of the developers and he had said he had no idea I was having those issues. Another thing, I can't find the screenshot atm, but I have a screenshot of a TLOPO staff member calling an almost senior citizen annoying basically. ANOTHER thing, I have seen many google docs posts about the 'other remake'. One was made by a TLOPO staff member whom I actually like. Why you gotta do that man? Just to start more drama?

A message from me to both TLOPO & Forums Staff
Perhaps not put the same, singular person in the position of running both your email accounts (on top of everything else)?
It takes a while for my emails to get back to me, and this specific person often mentions how she hates running the emails, and how she is suffering from doing all the things she does.

Which leads to another thing- I love this specific person, but please stop complaining.
You got the job for a reason, and you wouldn't have gotten it had you not accepted it.

Debunking Statements that claim I am Biased
While you may say I have bias due to my former affiliation to the 'other remake' staff team, I am writing this thread with them completely out-of-mind. Also, if you say this, you obviously are without a clue as to what I did to their team (Hint: 3 people were fired or left the team within 3 days of my being there).

What I dislike the most (for the most part, unrelated to TLOPO or Forums Staff)
What I dislike the most isn't even the staff. It's just the way some things were handled as they were, as well as some people in the community. People try to hide behind their "freedom of speech", even though this is a privately-run Website/Forums. Everything is handled at the discretion of the staff here.

People openly make fun of each other and if the staff team doesn't care, they just don't (and I know this for a fact, because I along with others have reported this specific post with no response back to the report). Many things have been said to me on the forums alone which are just extremely rude, unwanted and unfunny. Not to say this person is the only one, but recently a thread was posted about how Hippie was unable to communicate in local chat, but he wasn't muted. I am also experiencing this issue, as well as others. Strange. . .
Someone who I guess doesn't know who Hippie is, but knows of me (not who I am) basically said Hippie might just have some weird bug, but Davy's definitely muted. Why would I definitely be muted? What did I do to deserve a mute? You don't know, but you'll publicly say that. I have confirmation from the Staff Team that my account is bugged, and certainly not muted. It's saddening. I have been called many names, harassed and the very mentioning of my name on certain discords results in an immediate ban on the person who is assumed to be me. Such acceptance, am I right? The fact that I have never spoken to the large majority of you just makes it incredible when someone says something about me or has a problem with me before I even speak to them. I am still getting people telling me that I deleted an entire person's computer, despite the fact that -that specific person has already publicly apologized to me and realized her files are still there.

So, what I dislike is the community (as a whole; I actually love the community, there is just a big group that's extremely wrong) and especially how things get spread so quickly despite their truthfulness (or lack there of).

This is all just my life though, so I can't complain or post things like this too much.
I felt like I had more to say but here's this extremely long post. :)

P.S.- Any staff who read this, please do not take it personally. I love all you guys, and appreciate every single day you do what you do for pirates nerds like me, but there are just some things I needed to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of that post is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with moderation @Davy McShot. This post is also irrelevant and I want to apologize to the Pirates Forums staff for making it and de-railing the conversation, delete it if you wish.

Perhaps not put the same, singular person in the position of running both your email accounts (on top of everything else)?

I'm honored that you think that I run all of TLOPO. However, that's not true. While I do run the email, I dont run social media, other staff members do.

It takes a while for my emails to get back to me
Well of course it does. I get about 60-80 emails per day, not just yours.

and this specific person often mentions how she hates running the emails,
Let's make this clear: I love my job and I love helping people. What I detest is answering silly questions like "how do I get a beta key?".

and how she is suffering from doing all the things she does.
I have 0 idea what you're talking about here. If I hated working @ TLOPO, I wouldve quit ages ago.

I love this specific person, but please stop complaining.
No, I can complain as much as you all do. If my posts bother you so much, put the ignore feature to use.

You got the job for a reason, and you wouldn't have gotten it had you not accepted it.
One of the few things that are correct on this thread.

Next time, @ me.

There are countless other things that I want to correct in that thread. but it just isnt worth my effort.

Again, sorry to the mods for this post. Keep up the good work.

Addressing TLOPO's Moderation (not the Pirates Forums):

I dont mean to cut anyone one off, but it seems like most of you are repeating yourselves.
I've read almost all the threads in which players share their opinions about our Banning Procedures, and Im seeing the same ideas again here.

Trust me when I say that we are taking into consideration your ideas and tips, we're reshaping the entire system.

Repeating the same things over and over again isnt helping us, creating thread after thread complaining about a Ban isnt helping us.

Give us time, please.

Isn't repetition a way to show the support of a majority, rather than a minority? I would like to hope suggestions with a lot of support is taken into consideration more than suggestions with little support.

My suggestion: If TLOPO staff (nobody will be specifically mentioned by me) complain about their "job" and have low patience when handling issues, then other eager volunteers should be looked at to replace them. There are plenty of eager, willing people playing TLOPO who played POTCO and would love to serve as genuine, respectful people. Just a piece of advice.... negative attitudes aren't good in any aspects in life, like jobs, family, schools..... in the real world you are respectful and patient or you are replaced, or just lose what you have. That being said, TLOPO does have staff that is helpful, dedicated, and friendly. There are a few sour grapes in every batch.

I'm enjoying tlopo very much. The mods have a hard job, and some are learning. I don't like drama but meh, sticks and stones. However, I personally think the mods should pre-approve stuff from previously banned or warned people(including myself ^^), and not let personal attacks veiled with "i like you , but..." warrant stuff gets posted. Why rant at all? Why post every rant? and lock more threads.

I do appreciate the elimination of smut talk in game, and there were too many ***ual references in Disney but not TLOPO.

And I have to commend the forums staff for allowing this discussion to continue. Now that is setting a good example!

Cuz EVERYONE, including forums staff, game staff, and wannabes, needs to stop overreacting to free speech here on the forums - particularly by ganging up - and BE GOOD :)

I love how the TLOPO moderation team enables me to play in a clean environment.

This... Agreed Stephen! There is enough filth and drama in real life. I like being able to come home and enjoy a game with a bunch of awesome people without all of that junk. I hope to play with my daughter one day. There are a myriad of games available for everyone to play if they want that junk in their gaming experience to make them feel complete some how. Myself, no one in my guild, nor any friend I have in-game has had any run in that I'm aware of with a moderator. Honestly, I am confused how anyone playing TLOPO CAN be having persistent problems with Moderators... All I do is conduct myself in the manner in which the agreement specified... And that's not too hard to do... Basically in a nut shell... Be nice........ What I will continue to suggest for everyone is to treat each other the way you want to be treated... In the game and in the forums. Be constructive and DO NOT read a post "only to respond to it" ... But read a post and really take in what concept is being presented. Then think about it... THEN respond. :)

I would love to know how this particular community feels about 'gravedigging', the reviving of long-since dead threads or discussions, such as this thread. In other forums, I have seen people AGGRESSIVELY targeted for engaging in gravedigging, and frankly when a discussion is several months/years old there is a good chance that many of the users that initially participated in the discussion are no longer active, or if they are, that they don't care.

As for the question since I'm already here, I would love for a community poll concerning the return of Open Chat. It is rather off-putting to be talking about a very specific topic in-game involving unconventional jargon, only for half the message to be blocked. I understand that anyone can submit new words for the chat whitelist -- however this process is slow and tedious, especially when you will only ever be saying one of these particular words once or twice. I'm sure the staff team has addressed this before, that they are strictly opposed to keeping track of a blacklist, et cetera, but I can't help but think this stance could change if they only saw for themselves the massive collective support for the feature.

So I say make a poll. Sticky it, even. Make an announcement at the top of the page, "Vote on the return of open chat!" Really get it out there.
Leave it up for a month and I can tell you with fully unabated confidence that this is what the people have been missing. And I can tell you it will show.

I'm chill now.
To everyone else, please be constructive and civilized, let's discuss the real problems here in a way that will not get this thread immediately locked.

I would love to know how this particular community feels about 'gravedigging', the reviving of long-since dead threads or discussions, such as this thread. In other forums, I have seen people AGGRESSIVELY targeted for engaging in gravedigging, and frankly when a discussion is several months/years old there is a good chance that many of the users that initially participated in the discussion are no longer active, or if they are, that they don't care.

As for the question since I'm already here, I would love for a community poll concerning the return of Open Chat. It is rather off-putting to be talking about a very specific topic in-game involving unconventional jargon, only for half the message to be blocked. I understand that anyone can submit new words for the chat whitelist -- however this process is slow and tedious, especially when you will only ever be saying one of these particular words once or twice. I'm sure the staff team has addressed this before, that they are strictly opposed to keeping track of a blacklist, et cetera, but I can't help but think this stance could change if they only saw for themselves the massive collective support for the feature.

So I say make a poll. Sticky it, even. Make an announcement at the top of the page, "Vote on the return of open chat!" Really get it out there.
Leave it up for a month and I can tell you with fully unabated confidence that this is what the people have been missing. And I can tell you it will show.

I'm chill now.
To everyone else, please be constructive and civilized, let's discuss the real problems here in a way that will not get this thread immediately locked.

Well spoken. The only reason I do not have a problem with this particular thread being revived is because, sadly, it appears that players who are professing moderation issues have been quite active in the forums lately. It's as good a time as any to dredge this thing up and hammer it out anew. Thanks for your input Deckshot! :)

This... Agreed Stephen! There is enough filth and drama in real life. I like being able to come home and enjoy a game with a bunch of awesome people without all of that junk. I hope to play with my daughter one day. There are a myriad of games available for everyone to play if they want that junk in their gaming experience to make them feel complete some how. Myself, no one in my guild, nor any friend I have in-game has had any run in that I'm aware of with a moderator. Honestly, I am confused how anyone playing TLOPO CAN be having persistent problems with Moderators... All I do is conduct myself in the manner in which the agreement specified... And that's not too hard to do... Basically in a nut shell... Be nice........ What I will continue to suggest for everyone is to treat each other the way you want to be treated... In the game and in the forums. Be constructive and DO NOT read a post "only to respond to it" ... But read a post and really take in what concept is being presented. Then think about it... THEN respond. :)

I'm chill now.
Assuming by open chat you mean open chat but there's still a black list???
If it was open chat meaning no black list than I would be very disappointed and if I have to I might even go as far as to quit the game because I do not want to see people freely chatting whatever they want.

As for your post @Remington
two unarmored thumbs up :D

Assuming by open chat you mean open chat but there's still a black list???
If it was open chat meaning no black list than I would be very disappointed and if I have to I might even go as far as to quit the game because I do not want to see people freely chatting whatever they want.

As for your post @Remington
two unarmored thumbs up :D
To make it clear I'm strongly against open chat, but I'm EXTREMEMLY against no blacklist open chat.

To make it clear I'm strongly against open chat, but I'm EXTREMEMLY against no blacklist open chat.

I am not advocating the removal of the blacklist, that would be a free-for-all and not family-friendly in any way. I fully support TLOPO as a family-friendly game like Disney intended.

Open Chat was a feature in POTCO that allowed you to say anything you wanted with few limits; there was a blacklist, a list of all the depraved and terrible words the developers could conceive, and if anything you said matched up with the list, your message would be partially blocked. In addition to this the game also had chat moderators which are discussed a little earlier in this thread.

It was never intended to be available to anyone under 13 (in accordance with COPPA) and even then it could be toggled between SafeChat Plus in the account settings.

It requires slightly heavier moderation, but their bases are still covered and the whitelist as it stands is a lot more expansive than Disney's was. I'm suggesting it because that whitelist isn't always enough for everyone.

It's not against the rules here, though a thread may be closed if a lot of time has passed and the discussion has been exhausted. In this particular case I'm not too concerned with it as long as the discussion stays grounded.

Unfortunately, open chat isn't on the table. I'd expect any poll to be nearly unanimous in favor of its return, without question. It's not really a matter of how many people want it though. We understand it's cumbersome, but there are external chat services if you feel restricted by in-game chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back