Can we have an honest discussion about the moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most contexts, @Grace O Maille is correct, once creating an account one must agree to the terms of service (I think) and those are the guidlines that bind us to be good, and those are the guidlines that bind us to be held accountable for our actions.

When breaking the rules, one shouldn't complain, after all, the rules will not bend for one. The rules stay the same for one and for all.

My honest opinion? I have barely encountered bad behaviour in the game, I for one have not recieved any bans or kicks, which most definitely indicates that:

• The moderation team is doing their jobs to the best of their ability, and is working.
  • I am a good behaved boy

I would like to conclude by saying that every action has a reaction, and whether you want to break the rules, you know what follows.

I love the irony of playing a pirate game, and yet sometimes it feels like North Korea. I've escaped from the gallows once or twice. Fell off a few forts too trying to say, "this is the day you will always remember as the day you almost caught captain Jay..."

Discord is the place to be. It's like Tortuga - free from the navy.

Not entirely sure if the new moderation procedures are well-known, so I am posting this.
Trust me when I say that we are taking into consideration your ideas and tips, we're reshaping the entire system.
Give us time, please.
As promised, as of July, the banning procedures have been modified.
If I could offer one small piece of constructive criticism, it would have to do with the swear filter that's currently in-game and can auto-ban players if too many bad words are said.
This bot was disabled. You no longer get a 24 hour ban for using 3 blacklisted words. In fact, we now ban for intent. Players who try to intimidate, harass, disrespect, troll, autoclick, share/request personal information are the ones getting banned.

We took into consideration the fact that most people don't read the Terms of Service, in which we warn about what is bannable. Because of this, we email warnings to whoever is found violating the TOS. Therefore, their first violation is essentially forgiven. If they continue to behave inappropriately after the warning, they get banned. The exceptions to this: autoclicking and if your chat logs are massively inappropriate (a large amount of messages). These result in an immediate 48 hour ban.

Examples of warnings:

0b4408d88793489fbde54e9d954e10a6.png Capture.PNGUntitled44.png
you simply cant just terminate someone after 4 bans only
We took this into consideration as well. We no longer terminate for 4 bans, we have a points system set up. After a ban, you get a certain amount of points (depending on how severe the offense was). After reaching 10 points, the account gets terminated. Honestly, it has become pretty hard to get a termination.

Regarding Open Chat: Like Davy said, it won't happen. This decision has been discussed and debated many times, but the decision is final. The game will continue to run on a white and black list.

Bans have decreased greatly. The system is working and it will only get better.
If anyone has more constructive criticism that they can present in a respectful manner like @Benjamin Calicovane, we will be more than glad to listen in.

Last edited:
@MMDR....I meant like a "time-out" even after someone is banned from forums and come back, that their posts be "pre-approved"? Maybe thats done and I've mispoke. In any case, I don't like seeing mods or the devs getting bashed...and if this is an agree to disagree, free speech kind of thing... thats my opinion . :sunny:

Last edited:
@MMDR....I meant like a "time-out" even after someone is banned from forums and come back, that their posts be "pre-approved"?

Thank you for your suggestion, Im sure the Pirates Forums staff appreciate it.
To clarify to everyone who is confused: TLOPO doesn't own the Pirates Forums. They are two different teams and have a different moderation team and system.

my only question is the rule on "trolling". how far can someone go before they get banned?

It honestly depends on the severity. If you go around telling people that deleting system 32 will prevent crashing, you will likely get banned.

If you get kicked for Trolling and you continue to do what got you kicked, this might also get you banned. (Ex: getting kicked for cheering a player and logging in after a kick to repeat the action)

Mods are not required to warn before kicking, but we still do it in some occasions.

Overall, avoid being a troll altogether and you will be fine. I hope this answered your question.

Last edited:

We took this into consideration as well. We no longer terminate for 4 bans, we have a points system set up. After a ban, you get a certain amount of points (depending on how severe the offense was). After reaching 10 points, the account gets terminated. Honestly, it has become pretty hard to get a termination
I wrote that message like a year ago I think. :impatient:

The changes to moderation policy are great and a good improvement, only leaving me with one gripe about moderation. The general attitude of the moderation team is quite immature.

Whenever the topic of moderation is brought up on the forums there always seems to be a good deal of passive-aggressive responses and behavior by many members of the moderation team. I understand you are perhaps annoyed by people constantly bringing these topics up, but not everyone has the time to go searching through the forums looking for a buried post about their question or gripe. Acting as if you are above other members of the community, 'trolling' in a similar matter that you may take procedures against in-game, trying to be funny by waving your moderation ban-hammer taunting people. In my opinion this is one large cause of why there is so much backlash at the moderation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against any of the team personally. You are all great people, I'm just suggesting that the attitude that some of you display could be improved to reflect better on what you are trying to enforce.

TL;DR:: Just read it, and don't reply on impulse. Please think about it.

The changes to moderation policy are great and a good improvement, only leaving me with one gripe about moderation. The general attitude of the moderation team is quite immature.

Whenever the topic of moderation is brought up on the forums there always seems to be a good deal of passive-aggressive responses and behavior by many members of the moderation team. I understand you are perhaps annoyed by people constantly bringing these topics up, but not everyone has the time to go searching through the forums looking for a buried post about their question or gripe. Acting as if you are above other members of the community, 'trolling' in a similar matter that you may take procedures against in-game, trying to be funny by waving your moderation ban-hammer taunting people. In my opinion this is one large cause of why there is so much backlash at the moderation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against any of the team personally. You are all great people, I'm just suggesting that the attitude that some of you display could be improved to reflect better on what you are trying to enforce.

I believe this to be some valuable insight. I will work with my team to see what we can do to improve our image from a public relations standpoint. Thank you for your input!

These are exactly my thoughts, albeit put in a much nicer way :p.

I agree with every word you wrote and couldn't have reflected my thoughts in a better way.

I feel like some members of the team simply lack the professionalism required to become a moderator. As Bart stated, flaunting power and actively joking while moderating is not something we expect of a moderator. This isn't an insult towards anyone, since I believe that the issue may be due to the fact that their personal and professional accounts coexist or simply because they lack the professional integrity (which isn't easy to adjust to) tied to moderation.

A few ideas that could be implemented + suggestions:

Since moderation should be treated as a job rather than a side-activity; separate accounts or personas could be made purely for moderation purposes.

Players should not know the identity of the moderators who they are interacting with and moderation should not take place during moderator playing sessions.

Moderators should not be allowed to perform any actions not implemented into the game (eg: knocking out players) regardless of whatever justifications they think of.

Moderators should refrain from using any unprofessional vocabulary when conducting a conversation with a TLOPO player and should not use any offensive or belittling terms.

Moderators should treat players with the utmost respect (as should players) to prevent any unwanted issues or blame. (eg: "This moderator said this or that, thus triggering me into saying or doing that!")​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back