Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see it. Why in the world would I pay real money for an item I can get trading with game valuables, and for a weapon I don't have decent room to store nor can I upgrade any weapons in tlopo. One of the main aspects driving outside money is upgrades and items to upgrade another item. None of those exist on tlopo at this time.
Again, the thread is about ideas for the coming trading features and idea input. Not about why trading won't work. Let's keep it on topic.
I did not say you inparticular, but a very large portion of this community will be selling and buying weapons and clothes.

Last edited:
Yes, yours is authentic. I really don't see how this is hard to understand. When you trade a weapon it becomes less special.
Although I kind of get your point, since I don't subscribe to the 'special' attachment because I looted for 20 hours crowd.
To me that's a special in the eyes of the beholder/looter sentiment. Because I feel no obligation to your game involvement or depth of, I've never been able to imbibe in the looting euphoria drug.
I play for stuff that improves my pirate in whatever endeavor I embark on, on basically place no value on hours wast...spent in game.
I still spend most of my time trying to beta test. Remember that? Since I don't give hardly any weight to my accomplishments, maybe a legendary or two, I will always be for trading and auction type features and believe them to be great options.

Of all your posts, I see no mention of your ideas for trading mechanics. Mostly why it won't work. Please, join the topic and give us some ideas that you may feel to be acceptable to your desires.

I don't really have much of an opinion on trading other than I do not wish to see legendaries be tradable. I have spent hours looting, rage quits and all, and my small amount of legendaries that I do have i happen to take great pride in. I hope others get to feel that same joy instead of trading for it without putting in the time. Also, the topic is regarding trading and our thoughts on it. Expressing our opinions about trading would therefore be considered on-topic. Let's not insult each other or berate others for therefore expressing their opinions. I can see that this is a very heated topic, lets try to keep it civil.

It’s amusing to think that the “The Looters of Pirates Online” meme was not received by the devs as a sign that they should start adding content for other kinds of players. I’m starting to wonder if it was taken as a sign that they should start going out of their way to deliberately anger players who enjoy looting.

It really is pretty bizarre that the team has opted to implement the only new feature that many players have been begging them not add for years. Hopefully, it’s going to be done for a very good reason and with very careful thought behind it.

The bottom line is this: my little corner of the community feels like our time playing this game has been wasted because of this announcement. We’re many of the game’s most avid players. We’ve started guilds, helped grow the game’s metacommunity, and have helped foster the excitement for this game that has driven many of us to keep logging on.

But now? We’re wondering why we wasted our time the last two years, and we certainly don’t feel inclined to waste any more of it. I’d like to think that the devs are invested in their players’ interest in the game, yes? Say what you will about the pettiness of “bragging rights,” but it’s what’s been driving many players to dump hundreds (or thousands) of hours into this game. That sense of pride and accomplishment vanishes when certain weapons become transferable between accounts. And please, do not tell us how we’d feel when something we worked hard for can be acquired by someone who did not earn it. We are already well aware.

Is alienating, discouraging, and angering your game’s most dedicated and enthusiastic players really worth getting to finally add trading? Think very carefully about that.

But if trading must be added, legendaries have to be off the table. They must be bound to their finder on pickup. If this restriction is made...

• People may still feel like legendary finds are ‘special,’ earned, and worthy of those often-mocked bragging rights. You should just take your community’s word for it that this barely-visible coin is no substitute for the “oooh, ahhh” that comes from seeing someone unsheathing a legendary weapon and knowing that it’s because they earned it.
  • There will be far less behind-the-scenes transactions for irl currency. Such behavior is standard in every other online game with trading. There are people who make a living off of selling CS:GO skins for PayPal. It will happen here, too, but you can minimize its effect by protecting the game’s most valuable weapons.
  • Players will not have as much to lose from scams. You will not receive support emails from distressed ten year olds who accidentally gave away their Leviathan. There is no way to eliminate all scams, but you can minimize the risk of excessively large losses from them.
This update will drive away certain players no matter how you implement it. Some people have already left. But if you don’t want to shoo away the game’s looting community completely, it would be really, really stupid to delegitimize the reason that looters play in the first place.
About the only thing I can glean from that massive off topic post is the possibility of my framerates improving.

I don't really have much of an opinion on trading other than I do not wish to see legendaries be tradable. I have spent hours looting, rage quits and all, and my small amount of legendaries that I do have i happen to take great pride in. I hope others get to feel that same joy instead of trading for it without putting in the time. Also, the topic is regarding trading and our thoughts on it. Expressing our opinions about trading would therefore be considered on-topic. Let's not insult each other or berate others for therefore expressing their opinions. I can see that this is a very heated topic, lets try to keep it civil.
I looted for many hours for brights that I adore and wish players wouldn't be able to trade for brights. You see instead of legendaries you could say you spent hours looting brights, weapons or whatever else and say people shouldn't be able to trade for those items. It's not just about you or me it's about the community as a whole and I feel the majority of the community wants to trade for any item.

Personally, I think putting almost no restrictions except the obvious ones would work fine, but...

I think applying the "eye for an eye" concept to Legendary trading specifically would work perfectly. People would still have to go through the traditional route of getting a Legendary, but they'll be able to get the one they want by trading the Legendary they already worked for (if need be, some "common" legendaries such as Silver Freeze could be excluded). Most people would be happy with this, I think.

An eventual poll should decide the restrictions, but the topic of Legendary trading will be the most important.

I looted for many hours for brights that I adore and wish players wouldn't be able to trade for brights. You see instead of legendaries you could say you spent hours looting brights, weapons or whatever else and say people shouldn't be able to trade for those items. It's not just about you or me it's about the community as a whole and I feel the majority of the community wants to trade for any item.
I mean, thats fair. There's a ton that is going to go into this development and its going to be incredibly difficult to pick apart what should and shouldn't be eligible for trade. I think starting small scale, such as a certain class of items and test running that, would be a decent way to go. I could see the trade of legendaries causing more problems than it might initially be worth though.

The thread has been reopened.

We request everyone to stay on topic and civil. If this doesn't happen, the thread will be closed permanently.
Thank you. Now I would like to say I would actually enjoy trading a lot if legendaries just weren't tradeable. Clothing item trading will be awesome in my personal opinion, but maybe thats just because I dress like a homeless person. I just don't want the game to become revolved around trading for legendaries rather than finding them. Thats just my personal opinion.

On another note, I'd like to say that saying trading is the worst thing to happen and that it shouldn't be added will do nothing. The staff has already said it's coming no matter what. I urge people to keep this in mind when they comment as this thread was created to shape the feature through feedback.

It'd be really swell if legendaries were not tradeable

What I see missing in this thread [and why it is becoming so hostel myself included] is we haven't agreed upon the BENEFITS and CONSEQUENCES of adding trading. Why? and Why not? In other words, we cannot form a middle ground which is required in a respectful discussion, so I have a proposal that will hopefully promote a more engaging and friendly dialog.

In order to keep it SIMPLE, before replying to someone please list 3 points of each pro/cons of what you think is GOOD and BAD about trading. [No matter what side of the argument you're on.] Please list the 3 points of the side you DISAGREE with first. [For example I am anti-trading, so I will start with the benefits of trading first.] You don't have to explain your 3 pros/cons unless someone ask you. The purpose of this is to make everyone [once again, myself included] more open minded of BOTH sides of the discussion at hand..

Hopefully, we can actually create a more sensible groundwork to debate in this manner. I'll start...
[I am going under the assumption this is UNRESTRICTED TRADING. Anything goes.]

Pros of trading:
1. Lower level pirates are easier to level up.
2. Repeat weapons amount to value in the late game.
3. People are more encouraged to make friends in order to trade.

Cons of trading:
1. Legendary value/rarity is decreased substantially.
2. Exploits/account spamming is more encouraged to abuse in this system.
3. Community drama/bad trades are more likely to occur.

[If you reply to me, please respond in the same format with a rebuttal and/or questions.]

I am not putting my reasoning below the first post since I have not been asked a question nor am replying to anyone. If you do please explain UNDER your 6 Pros/Cons.

What I see missing in this thread [and why it is becoming so hostel myself included] is we haven't agreed upon the BENEFITS and CONSEQUENCES of adding trading. Why? and Why not? In other words, we cannot form a middle ground which is required in a respectful discussion, so I have a proposal that will hopefully promote a more engaging and friendly dialog.

In order to keep it SIMPLE, before replying to someone please list 3 points of each pro/cons of what you think is GOOD and BAD about trading. [No matter what side of the argument you're on.] Please list the 3 points of the side you DISAGREE with first. [For example I am anti-trading, so I will start with the benefits of trading first.] You don't have to explain your 3 pros/cons unless someone ask you. The purpose of this is to make everyone [once again, myself included] more open minded of BOTH sides of the discussion at hand..

Hopefully, we can actually create a more sensible groundwork to debate in this manner. I'll start...
[I am going under the assumption this is UNRESTRICTED TRADING. Anything goes.]

Pros of trading:
1. Lower level pirates are easier to level up.
2. Repeat weapons amount to value in the late game.
3. People are more encouraged to make friends in order to trade.

Cons of trading:
1. Legendary value/rarity is decreased substantially.
2. Exploits/account spamming is more encouraged to abuse in this system.
3. Community drama/bad trades are more likely to occur.

[If you reply to me, please respond in the same format with a rebuttal and/or questions.]

I am not putting my reasoning below the first post since I have not been asked a question nor am replying to anyone. If you do please explain UNDER your 6 Pros/Cons.
Hi Charles,
As originally stated, this thread is about ideas on how to make TLOPO's upcoming addition of trading fair and balanced for the game, to make it fit in with TLOPO. The thread is for players to submit their ideas on how we should develop trading, as it is currently at a very early stage of development. This thread is not to discuss why our upcoming feature should not be added, but I encourage you to create a separate one for pro's and con's!
Fair Winds,
JM

This thread is not (and has not) been about opinions on trading. While the team enjoys hearing your opinions about the game, this thread was originally intended to ask for ideas on how to implement trading. Whether you like it or not, the implementation of trading is inevitable. We'd like some assistance gauging the manner in which we should approach its structuring to reach a happy medium with the community.

It's fine if you don't like trading. It's also fine if you like it. All of these opinionated posts go nowhere and are extremely unproductive in the grand scheme of things since we've heard every single pro or con trading argument umpteen-million times already.

Please assist us in being productive and contributing your ideas as to what should/should not be traded or even ideas for further trading incorporation (like NPCs, perhaps?). If you cannot be civil and resort to arguments, you are contributing to the original reason why this thread was locked in the first place. If you cannot contain your disdain for trading, please direct your opinions elsewhere. As stated before, this isn't a possibility - it's an eventuality that everyone will have to come to terms with if they choose to want to continue to play.

Blunt post over.

Next to Fish and Legendary fish, there are two open indexes for collectibles. Could we have one for 'Weapons' and one for 'Clothing'? These would contain every item possible to be found in the game, and they remain blank circles (like my two undiscovered Legendary Fish) until you find them (trading does not find them). Then take this collectibles menu of Weapons Found and Clothing Found, and make it a public leaderboard? Is this possible to code in time for a release of trading?

Edit: in case it isn't clear the purpose would be to have the benefits of trading, but maintain the competitive spirit and excitement of finding the legendaries, as well as a sense of accomplishment and public praise for finding things. A side benefit would be even uncommonly sought after items would become sought after by completionists, and additionally it would ease some inventory space issues.
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 8.48.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 8.50.47 PM.png

Hi Charles,
As originally stated, this thread is about ideas on how to make TLOPO's upcoming addition of trading fair and balanced for the game, to make it fit in with TLOPO. The thread is for players to submit their ideas on how we should develop trading, as it is currently at a very early stage of development. This thread is not to discuss why our upcoming feature should not be added, but I encourage you to create a separate one for pro's and con's!
Fair Winds,
JM
This thread is not (and has not) been about opinions on trading. While the team enjoys hearing your opinions about the game, this thread was originally intended to ask for ideas on how to implement trading. Whether you like it or not, the implementation of trading is inevitable. We'd like some assistance gauging the manner in which we should approach its structuring to reach a happy medium with the community.

It's fine if you don't like trading. It's also fine if you like it. All of these opinionated posts go nowhere and are extremely unproductive in the grand scheme of things since we've heard every single pro or con trading argument umpteen-million times already.

Please assist us in being productive and contributing your ideas as to what should/should not be traded or even ideas for further trading incorporation (like NPCs, perhaps?). If you cannot be civil and resort to arguments, you are contributing to the original reason why this thread was locked in the first place. If you cannot contain your disdain for trading, please direct your opinions elsewhere. As stated before, this isn't a possibility - it's an eventuality that everyone will have to come to terms with if they choose to want to continue to play.

Blunt post over.
I understand, but on that note I would like to see @The Crew be a little more opened to debating IF new game changing content SHOULD be added before it is FORCED onto the community in the future.... Especially since it's been a controversial topic of a topic for I don't know how many years... However, I am assuming you already put so much work into it you feel it NEEDS to be added now so I digress.

Onto the thread's topic then, since we no longer a choice on this update...

We still need a groundwork for this thread, so my proposal is the same but with different format in place.

Propose YOUR restrictions on trading. [If any] Then list 3 Pros & Cons of this system. [You will ALWAYS start with Cons.]

After, someone will reply with their questions for YOUR system, the follow up their questions with their OWN system & Pros/Cons. Creating a [Hopefully] peaceful flowing discussion. I shall start,

Charles Warmonk's Trading system:
Restrictions: Can ONLY trade between your own pirate account. [Aka your 8 pirates on one account]

Cons:
1. Trading for single pirate accounts will be nearly unaffected.
2. Trading between your own pirates will result in a faster completion of the game, resulting in quitting sooner.
3. Trading between your own pirates will render all alts currently pointless due to the ability to trade all good weapons to main/most used pirate.

Pros:
1. All efforts of looting will be rewarded to the individual and not strictly the pirate.
2. Name changes/pirate re-creation is now possible since all inventory can be transferred over.
3. Limited items redeemed on main can now be saved/stored on alts like storage space, rather than having to give them up for inventory/bright space.

[Since I am once again starting this format, I not unable to respond/discuss my reasoning after my points till someone else does the same by ask a questions after they follow the format above.]

:cheers: Feel free to ask me any questions AND create your own trading system.

I understand, but on that note I would like to see @The Crew be a little more opened to debating new game changing content SHOULD be added before it is FORCED onto the community in the future.... However, I am assuming you already put so much work into it you feel it NEEDS to be added now so I digress.

We still need a groundwork for this thread, so my proposal is the same but with different format in place.

Propose YOUR restrictions on trading. [If any] Then list 3 Pros & Cons of this system. [You will ALWAYS start with Cons.]

After, someone will reply with their questions for YOUR system, the follow up their questions with their OWN system & Pros/Cons. Creating a [Hopefully] peaceful flowing discussion. I shall start,

Restrictions: Can ONLY trade between your own pirate account. [Aka your 8 pirates on one account]

Cons:
2. Trading between your own pirates will result in a faster completion of the game, resulting in quitting sooner.
3. Trading between your own pirates will render all alts currently pointless due to the ability to trade all good weapons to main/most used pirate.

Pros:
1. All efforts of looting will be rewarded to the individual and not strictly the pirate.
2. Name changes/pirate re-creation is now possible since all inventory can be transferred over.
3. Limited items redeemed on main can now be saved/stored on alts like storage space, rather than having to give them up for inventory/bright space.

[Since I am once again starting this format, I not unable to respond/discuss my reasoning after my points till someone else does the same by ask a questions after they follow the format above.]

What if.... we can trade the tlopo music I make? I receive 30% royalties though..

I understand, but on that note I would like to see @The Crew be a little more opened to debating IF new game changing content SHOULD be added before it is FORCED onto the community in the future.... Especially since it's been a controversial topic of a topic for I don't know how many years... However, I am assuming you already put so much work into it you feel it NEEDS to be added now so I digress.

Cons:

Pros:

Thanks for the feedback Charles,
This sounds more like a banking system to me, but in a much more convoluted way. TLOPO is not currently looking into a banking system. Trading, as stated in the original post will be between players and will be accessed through the player card by hitting the trading button.
See:
Currently trading starts through the player card, where one player can request to trade with another. If the trade request is accepted by the requested player, both players will be able to swap items in their inventory and trade them. It is currently a basic system with very little functionality.
These are some questions we proposed as a launching point into further suggestions, to gather the communities ideas around how to build the trading system.
  1. What items should not be tradeable?
  2. Should materials (gold, bones, moonstones and ship materials) be tradeable?
  3. What kind of “checks” should be made?
    1. Examples:
      1. Requiring Raven’s Cove completion before trading Cursed items.
      2. A warning message to players before trading certain items.
      3. Level requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back