Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get how people play 5 different pirates at once and you'd have to do that for hours since looting is random luck. This to me isn't enough of a problem to not add trading/trade legendaries. If someone does somehow play 5 different pirates and loots on all those pirates at once then that's a huge accomplish in my eyes and they should be able to give all the legendaries they obtain to one pirate, they still worked hard to get the legendaries, probably harder than most people.

This my friend is why multi-boxing and heavy scripting is used, i have a baisc into C#, C++, C, and Lua 5.1, and i can tell you i can write a script myself to do exactly that even on the same machine, checking for win:tlopo.exe to be active at any time and then running multi-layered sand boxed scripts on like 4 Virtual Machines to do the exact same thing, press left click, move like once, and then press shift and loot all based on screen resolution, and understandably its extremely easy to write a hotkey script to do this as well

Farmers have always been a thing in any MMORPG, regardless or not if it has trading

Ridiculous. I know dozens of people who have already played on five (or more) pirates at once and have gotten plenty of legendaries doing it. It’s not difficult and it’s definitely not an accomplishment. Attributing finds collected across multiple pirates to one pirate is cheating, end of story. Trading should not be set up in such a way that it enables that cheating.

A pirate’s inventory should only be reflective of the loot that pirate has collected. Trading is already going to mess that up, but if legendaries are off the table then at least something will still be reflective of effort alone.
That's why I said in my eyes it is an accomplishment. Most PEOPLE STILL WILL NEED TO LOOT A LEGENDARY TO TRADE IT FOR ANOTHER and obviously that will take effort. Do you honestly feel like people will give out legendaries like candy? Also how is giving your other pirates items cheating when it might not be against the trading rules if we even have any trading rules?

This my friend is why multi-boxing and heavy scripting is used, i have a baisc into C#, C++, C, and Lua 5.1, and i can tell you i can write a script myself to do exactly that even on the same machine, checking for win:tlopo.exe to be active at any time and then running multi-layered sand boxed scripts on like 4 Virtual Machines to do the exact same thing, press left click, move like once, and then press shift and loot all based on screen resolution, and understandably its extremely easy to write a hotkey script to do this as well

Farmers have always been a thing in any MMORPG, regardless or not if it has trading
Thank you for the explanation.

Do you honestly feel like people will give out legendaries like candy?
Yeah. I would. There are plenty of people who have enough repeat legendaries to trade for every other legendary in the game and still have some to give away to friends.
Also how is giving your other pirates items cheating when it might not be against the trading rules if we even have any trading rules?
...because it compromises the legitimacy of the weapon. Getting a legendary is a token of the effort you expended in order to find it. That’s why people loot in the first place. If you could have just traded for the weapon or used alts to harvest for it, the legitimacy of the ‘token’ effect vanishes and the game’s entire incentive structure for looting disappears in a puff of smoke. Dedicated players will lose interest, and the game will tend towards its demise even quicker than it already is.

Yeah. I would. There are plenty of people who have enough repeat legendaries to trade for every other legendary in the game and still have some to give away to friends.

...because it compromises the legitimacy of the weapon. Getting a legendary is a token of the effort you expended in order to find it. That’s why people loot in the first place. If you could have just traded for the weapon or used alts to harvest for it, the legitimacy of the ‘token’ effect vanishes and the game’s entire incentive structure for looting disappears in a puff of smoke. Dedicated players will lose interest, and the game will tend towards its demise even quicker than it already is.
Just because you have repeats doesn't mean you'll be able to trade them for better legendaries, like for example I highly doubt many people would be willing to trade their yore for someone's duplicate el patron. Not being able to trade legendaries would just mean you don't fully own it.

Just because you have repeats doesn't mean you'll be able to trade them for better legendaries, like for example I highly doubt many people would be willing to trade their yore for someone's duplicate el patron.
Nah, but i’d trade my third web for someone else’s third emerald curse.

And there shouldn't be any issues with that.
It does seem nice on its face, doesn’t it? But when you give it a moment’s thought, ways to abuse this new system become apparent fairly quickly. What if I just want to be generous to a friend? What if i’m trading with my own accounts? What if i’m trading a lost sword for a world eater blade, but have also promised to send the buyer some PayPal cash behind the scenes?

But the heart of the issue is that we loot for legendaries because they’re special. If someone can get one illegitimately through trading, they will no longer feel special, and we just won’t feel like looting anymore.

It does seem nice on its face, doesn’t it? But when you give it a moment’s thought, ways to abuse this new system become apparent fairly quickly. What if I just want to be generous to a friend? What if i’m trading with my own accounts? What if i’m trading a lost sword for a world eater blade, but have also promised to send the buyer some PayPal cash behind the scenes?

But the heart of the issue is that we loot for legendaries because they’re special. If someone can get one illegitimately through trading, they will no longer feel special, and we just won’t feel like looting anymore.
I see your point but I could just say that brights are special to me and that I won't feel like looting anymore but I'm not that selfish, sure there will be people who use paypal but honestly there's nothing stopping people from using paypal right now for another account or maybe someone wants someone else to level for them in exchange for money, I feel like the majority of players won't use such methods with trading.

The trading feature should be implemented to TLOPO?

my Feedback:

I've noticed that TLOPO community is divided into two sides: People that Believe it will kill the game? / and people that like the idea and looking forward to the New update.

Trading should be used for:

Examples:
1. to trade repeated weapons like El Patron and Silver Freeze.
2. repeated clothes like Brights, Dark Black.
3. Ship materials.

Legendary weapons should remain as they are at the moment and not being treatable.
Moonstones and Bones should not be for trade because they are for special events like Hollowed Woods and Yuletide Manor.
Overall, I'm excited about the incoming game updates and the new changes with them.

Keep up the good work, TLOPO Team! :thumbsup::happy:

While I do agree the current longevity of the game is flawed, I don't agree that it wouldn't be affected by trading. Trading would definitely make it incredibly easy to get anything you want. I know plenty of people who have spare legendaries and legendary duplicated who would be willing trade them to someone who doesn't. Additionally, there are plenty of players who already have a lot of legendaries, but simply have them scattered across different pirates. If legendaries became trade-able, there would be players with all the most sought after items within 24 hours of the update.

Again, trading would make items "magically" more common. That's exactly the fear of every looter protesting this feature. As far as people quitting the game, I think you seriously underestimate how many people would do this. And remember, these are the game's most active players. So when they're gone, the whole game is gonna be a lot quieter.
Again, trading would make items "magically" more common.
Correct, more common, not magical, but just by people that want to trade. If elootist don't want to trade they don't have to.

That's exactly the fear of every looter protesting this feature.
I recall when joining as a beta tester, I was following tlopo's game rules, I didn't and still don't see a sub category of 'looters' rules that tlopo sanctions.

As far as people quitting the game, I think you seriously underestimate how many people would do this. And remember, these are the game's most active players. So when they're gone, the whole game is gonna be a lot quieter.
Is this a threat to tlopo staff? I think that's a little strong unsubstantiated statement to make to the forums. I don't think that's a fair assessment of the tlopo gaming community of the whole.

Again this thread is about ideas for trading mechanics, not personal views for and against.

GL.

Not sure if this has been asked in this thread, but will we be able to trade ship materials?
I hope so. I think one could sail as much as they want to earn their mats, however, lots of people just reach a burn out level and may want a break by trading or buying some mats. Other games do this well, were some mats still need combos and such.

That could definitely be on the trading card as a tradeable item. <- you know, I don't think tradeable is a real word. It should be.

"Ridiculous. I know dozens of people who have already played on five (or more) pirates at once and have gotten plenty of legendaries doing it. It’s not difficult and it’s definitely not an accomplishment. Attributing finds collected across multiple pirates to one pirate is cheating, end of story. Trading should not be set up in such a way that it enables that cheating."

I've never read from anyone that playing alts is cheating, because trading is coming, why is it cheating now?

A pirate’s inventory should only be reflective of the loot that pirate has collected. Trading is already going to mess that up, but if legendaries are off the table then at least something will still be reflective of effort alone.

Is there a link to the tlopo terms of service and game rules where I can read about that particular rule?

tbh im prob the only one who would like to trade a el patron for a silver freeze if legendaries where to be alloud it should be rubbish ones like them 2 honestally cursed legends are still a no go

tbh im prob the only one who would like to trade a el patron for a silver freeze if legendaries where to be alloud it should be rubbish ones like them 2 honestally cursed legends are still a no go
Well to me I feel like the onyx curse is pretty rubbish so I guess with your idea I could trade it. I don't see why people's personal values on each items would convince the developers to not make those certain items tradeable.

Is this a threat to tlopo staff? I think that's a little strong unsubstantiated statement to make to the forums. I don't think that's a fair assessment of the tlopo gaming community of the whole.
TLOPO is well aware of the dangers trading imposes. The fact that they decided to pursue trading anyways, is baffling to me. Like I said in my initial statement on this thread, "I don't think there is anyway to add trading without upsetting an incredibly large amount of people." There are a few ways to make those people less upset, like blacklisted legendaries from trading, but I don't think the frustration is completely unavoidable.

As for my statement about looters, I don't think it's unsubstantiated at all. Looting is one of the only aspects of the game that draws people into playing for such long periods. It's addictive. It's not unreasonable that the most active players are looters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back