Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading looks grand.
Though, would it be possible to look into trading gold as well?
Some folks got kids or are simply sitting on a huge pile of gold not sure what to do with it so they can help out others.
You can already trade gold in poker but it would be interesting to see an easier way to do so

In the screen shots of trading would it be possible in the confirm pop up to list in word form the trade?

Like player A drops Tyrant Blade into the trade box with a DB pair of Highwaters

player B accepts, but after the fact realizes that it is Tyrant Blade and not one of the others that look like it, or it's Cotton Highwaters instead of Linen or whatever? Not a major issue, but potentially a nice feature for confirmation if it's not too difficult. Obviously players should hover over prior to accepting. Also does the trade lock in prior to being able to accept or decline or is their a potential exploit of someone quickly switching an item out, because that would be problematic?

In the screen shots of trading would it be possible in the confirm pop up to list in word form the trade?

Like player A drops Tyrant Blade into the trade box with a DB pair of Highwaters

player B accepts, but after the fact realizes that it is Tyrant Blade and not one of the others that look like it, or it's Cotton Highwaters instead of Linen or whatever? Not a major issue, but potentially a nice feature for confirmation if it's not too difficult. Obviously players should hover over prior to accepting. Also does the trade lock in prior to being able to accept or decline or is their a potential exploit of someone quickly switching an item out, because that would be problematic?
That's a sound idea. Perhaps the devs could come up with a vertical display where the item icon is on the left and the item name is on the right. And maybe ten slots long. Like wow has it. I think if it's just a pop up bubble that may be problematic if more than a few items are on the list.

That's a sound idea. Perhaps the devs could come up with a vertical display where the item icon is on the left and the item name is on the right. And maybe ten slots long. Like wow has it. I think if it's just a pop up bubble that may be problematic if more than a few items are on the list.
The display of icon and text for trade items on the table does sound good. Has anyone posted the WoW layout you mentioned? That could be used as a possible reference for the TLOPO trade panel layout.

Regarding the current trading setup, I'm guessing the selling panel was cloned for trading, in the interest of getting it running quickly. It definitely won't/can't be the final design, if anything other than selectable inventory items can be traded. (For example, currently no way to specify gold or mats trade quantities, if those wind up being applicable).

Good feedback everyone!

What does it matter if it's easier for pirate joe just because pirate jane did a multi hour grind standing in a bosses face?
I don't get everyones concern for what someone else does in this game. It's none of anyone's business. Basically because I can get the same legendary in 5 minutes that someone else took days to get. It's luck of the draw. Is it my fault I lucked out in 5 minutes?
No, and I'm sincerely sorry, but I don't give a parrots lips what anyone else does either.

If trade makes something easier, so be it. Maybe someone will stay playing the game instead of beating themselves against remy vicious and give up. I think the whole point to adding trading or any other feature is to keep players in game and show new players more options to play tlopo.

People make this game what they want it to be. People can be loners, teachers, guildies, beach bums ... it's an open game and fun that way.
Trading, and wisely using existing game elements that everyone is used to is brilliant.
Allow no limits, as limits mean someone has to design for that and put in all manner of code to regulate, conference meetings about valuation parameters, constant arguments on peoples sentiments of values, based on what? Their own grind time? etc etc etc.

It's not yours or my opinions that matters on what easy is for people, it's up to the people to decide to do things.
Trading is just more tools and options to enjoy.
Completely agree well said

I think that this would make level progression too easy, especially if we'll be given the opportunity to trade between alt accounts. The game is already very easy to play and reach max notoriety, I don't see why trading should be allowed to make it easier by giving players access to tiers of loot they haven't unlocked access to loot for themselves yet due to low level.
Isn't the very reason for having multi accounts for alts to make it easier to level up, quicker and get legendary quicker and easier? What does this have to do with trading? I'm sorry, but I see no connection there whatsoever.

And I don't believe there's such a thing as 'trading' between alts. It would be an extra unneeded step added to just transferring items between accounts. I believe almost all mmo's do this on a regular basis for decades.

Isn't the very reason for having multi accounts for alts to make it easier to level up, quicker and get legendary quicker and easier? What does this have to do with trading? I'm sorry, but I see no connection there whatsoever.

And I don't believe there's such a thing as 'trading' between alts. It would be an extra unneeded step added to just transferring items between accounts. I believe almost all mmo's do this on a regular basis for decades.

They invented storage solutions for that, like banks, vaults, chests etc.

Would not be a bad idea either, but it'd require a whole lot of extra infrastructure to centralize all the items per character in a spot. Not to mention programming hellfire to make it work. Perhaps after trading has been added? Not sure, would be neat.

Perhaps for ships too, but that might take it too far.

They invented storage solutions for that, like banks, vaults, chests etc.

Would not be a bad idea either, but it'd require a whole lot of extra infrastructure to centralize all the items per character in a spot. Not to mention programming hellfire to make it work. Perhaps after trading has been added? Not sure, would be neat.

Perhaps for ships too, but that might take it too far.
Agree. I wonder how much if any code like that already existed in the potco disney which they never got to. A lot of these ideas may boil down to raw server space and hosting services as a deciding factor.
Maybe I'm spoiled by the retail mmo's, but storage and banks seem like a natural progression.

Could make it to where you cant give someone an item that is above their notoriety level. No trading Legendary/Famed items, gold, ships, Materials, tattoos. If materials are tradable, I would say only regular materials, no trading Rare Materials because of how much work goes into it. And those who are wanting trade for rev ram, dont worry, rev ram is a rare item.
When in trading menu, other player should not be allowed to see your inventory. also have it to where if someone invites you to crew or friendship while trading, have it tell them you're busy just in case the menus glitch and leaves you not able to exit.

Edit: also no trading Quest Items.

Could make it to where you cant give someone an item that is above their notoriety level. No trading Legendary/Famed items, gold, ships, Materials, tattoos. If materials are tradable, I would say only regular materials, no trading Rare Materials because of how much work goes into it. And those who are wanting trade for rev ram, dont worry, rev ram is a rare item.
When in trading menu, other player should not be allowed to see your inventory. also have it to where if someone invites you to crew or friendship while trading, have it tell them you're busy just in case the menus glitch and leaves you not able to exit.

good ideas :)

What's the point in trading if you can only trade crude, common, and rare? I doubt many would trade if only those were tradeable, you might as well not create a trading system and no trading gold even though we can already do that via parlor games doesn't seem reasonable.

I love the idea of trading.

I don't anticipate people trading items that are extremely hard to get like Thunderspine for items that are super easy to get like Rusty Cutlass. On a very basic level, that doesn't make any sense. I don't understand why people believe that will be a thing outside of people trading with themselves via alt accounts. And if you're somehow able to swindle someone into trading you a legendary item for something of way lesser value, then good for you. That's low-key what a pirate would do.

I don't like the idea of forcing people to trade within levels of rarity (common for common, rare for rare, etc.)

I don't like the idea of a one-for-one exchange. I'd like to be able to trade multiple items for one and vise-versa if I want to.

Since it seems like part of the problem a lot of people are having with trading is that they feel that people are going to be able to easily obtain all items (and items that were very arduous for them to obtain), there should be more ways for people to obtain items that aren't so incredibly centered around looting.

Piggybacking off of that, I want to see more unique, un-lootable, discontinued items within the game. I elaborated more on this in another suggestion thread I posted a while back. I want to see more "discontinued" items (clothing, tattoos, weapons, etc.) in the game that are only given out to a handful of people (people who earned the items, like in contests). Items that will never be given out again. These items can come from contests, events, etc. But please make them items that are actually desirable, items that people will actually like, use, wear, etc.

Another suggestion I have is to make things way more expensive and make things harder to get. Along with this, make the gold count exponentially higher than it is now, or even better, make it limitless. Make materials, and any other currency-type materials (material pouch items like Haunted Bones) even harder to collect, and make the stuff you buy with them even more valuable (really powerful legendary items) and, of course, make them extremely expensive.

And last, 99.99% of what you loot is useless. Please give these items a purpose.

What's the point in trading if you can only trade crude, common, and rare? I doubt many would trade if only those were tradeable, you might as well not create a trading system and no trading gold even though we can already do that via parlor games doesn't seem reasonable.
ok yeah, i think we should be able to trade famed. dont know about gold though, i mean who has heard of a pirate giving away their gold?
could make everything trade worthy and whatever people dont want to trade, they dont trade.

Heck, why not just say don't add trading. None of those ideas are conductive to a trade system.

Ahoy fellow pirates!

I have not played TLOPO near as frequent as I previously did until here recently. When logging on I seen the "Upcoming Content Spotlight" and honestly, I was so excited about everything then I read the words "trading." Now, don't get off on the wrong foot I've read MOST of this discussion thread and I had to sit back and say "Okay it's coming, either way." So, the past day I've put a lot of thought into this and how it should be approached alternatively from saying “This is a terrible idea and will end TLOPO.” Which is an opinion my dearest TLOPO friends strictly enforce.

I've spent my fair share of time within TLOPO looting and even would consider myself a Looter. That being said, anytime a trading discussion came across the forums I was always hasty to contribute my negative thoughts towards the subject. Before my brainstorming I agreed with what many folks have said "It destroys (the looting aspect of) TLOPO." I see many positives and negatives of trading just as the rest of the community does but today, I'm going to give my 2 cents in a very civil manner.

Looting is an aspect of the game... it is a BIG part of the game and to say it will destroy it is in my opinion wrong. You loot for yourself and to represent your guild by having the best combined treasures (Example). When trading is an aspect of the game, if you care enough about looting, you're still going to loot for yourself. No one is making you trade. Yes, of course someone that plays 3 times a month can get elite loot, but they play 3 times a month. You (The community) don't know them, and a good 75% of the time... they don't know you.

(The difference in a traded versus looted item) This may contradict what I have previously said, but I'm saying it anyway. PLEASE give a notable difference in a traded item versus a looted item! Many pirates are known specifically for their looting ability and luck, and trading takes no luck or ability. Maybe even add a “First found by: *Pirate Name* on the item card. It’s is just a fair idea.

Many of you (The Community) do not think of this aspect I am about to bring you. Trading is almost another player type within TLOPO. We have the looters, sailors, PVP players, SVS players, questers, explorers and even role players. We could even add traders to that lineup. Think about it, how cool would it be to be trading materials with other guilds getting ready for a sailing event? However, someone just doesn’t have the material to upgrade their ship enough to withstand the competition and they find a trade merchant that has what the pirate is looking for. This can go a long way! Personally, after thinking of this aspect… I’d do it. I believe the trading role could be a simple supply and demand system. @TheCrew could go as far as making this another leveling system (Such as potions/fishing or PVP/SVS Infamy). Who can be the best trade merchant?

I firmly believe that trading requirements should be even with looting requirements! You cannot loot a weapon unless you are 5 levels away from the weapon level, and that should apply for weapons. Clothing also has a level cap, and you shouldn’t be able to trade bright clothing until you are the level required to loot that specific piece of clothing.

Lastly, three things that simply should be forbidden to trade:
-ANY Quest Item

- Ravens Cove Weapons before completion of the quest
-Legendary Weapons as a whole

Last edited:
Many items in this game were given an artificial value based on many player sentiments. Brights being one of them. Legendary as well.
Sack shorts have some value to someone. Weapons have level requirements mostly due to PVP balance, probably not derived from pve play.
Balance and fair play are important in pvp-svs, not necessary so much in pve, so forcing more level requirements just for trading doesn't make sense for pve players.

The game has item requirements in place, you can't use an item regardless whether you loot it or trade it. One can loot/quest higher level items and depending on how the training points are spent, may not be able to use it even if one is a high level pirate.
Trading allows collecting in the knowledge an item may not be usable til a later level.
There is no reason to restrict trading in anything, since the game still dictates what can be used when.

People do not have to play the game the way they want based by other peoples sentiment about effort expended on their personal parts.
Trading should not be limited or restricted based on other peoples egos. Or inventories.

Trading fundamentals should be designed on game play exclusively, not on the whim of player looting history sentiment.
It is very important not to place any limits on trading beyond game fundimentals at the start so the full benefits can be discovered and after a majority of players have experienced unbridled trade commerce, we can more realistically discover what tweaking needs to be done if any to the system. Player input after an open trade system has been used for awhile will then have more weight due to actual experience in using the trade system. Predictions of failure before even implementation of the system usually causes failure.

• No limits, with item or gold.
  • Any item for any item.
  • No limits on level participation for trading or items. A level one pirate should be allowed to trade.
  • It's up to the player if they want to trade for legendary, quests or even raven items as is it's up to other players to trade such items to players looking for them. None of these trades has any impact on the gaming community, but only in peoples personal minds.
  • No restrictions on any item, just because "they are so hard to get, they should be special" mentality. Because it is based only on personal gain and time spent which has no real world impact on any other player in the game and never has and tlopo does not officially sanction those sentiments as set rules.
  • The posted trade cards are a great start, but should include more spaces.
  • Have visual of item plus a word description... ie: 'electric blue puffy shirt'
  • Trade should equally include gold monetary units as well.
  • Trade should be open to combination type transactions, gold for item, gold and item for item, etc.
  • Storage should be increased or create banks or personal treasure chests for long term storage.
  • Allow transfer of goods/gold to other alts or accounts. Not related to trade, but probably a progressive idea that could be investigated.
So far today.

Last edited:
I personally think all items and materials should be tradeable, with certain extra valuable items (e.g., legendaries) possibly only being tradeable once. Cursed weapons definitely should not be accessible to people who haven't completed RC yet. And obvi plenty of security on the back end to ensure fair trading for all parties involved.

Hi all! Thank you to everyone working on the game and for asking for input!
After reading through every response, here are my two cents about a good starting point. (tl;dr: read this stuff)

Yes: Items that are not required and do not heavily influence game progress. Warnings, exceptions, and daily caps applied as needed.
  • Garb, all materials, ammo, jewelry, tattoos, potions, cheat cards, charms, cannon rams
  • Crude, common, rare items
  • Restrict first few trades to “item(s) for item(s) of equivalent value” to prevent accidental big losses. After that you should have the hang of it and can willingly sell a valuable item for next to nothing if you so choose, or maybe even gift items.
  • Gold… though I guess then it'd be a sale, not trade at that point. Great for when you’re maxed out.
  • Ships. But… prices may be insanely high due to various upgrades, so the “sellers” may always get the short end of the stick.
  • Trading between pirates of our own account- the items are still ours, we worked for them
  • Items you cannot even use yet. Existing built-in skill and level caps already limit their use, so there would not really be an unfair gameplay advantage just by having it sit idly in one’s inventory. I can foresee many players running out of inventory space. *hint hint* :D
  • Multi-step process for trading… Make it EXPLICITLY CLEAR which items are in the trade slots (maybe show the entire item description card), and lock them in to prevent last-second swapping.
No: Rewards/incentives that keep alive the goal of progressing through the entire game and encouraging the completion of the trinket collections. Nothing to do with items' sentimental values, only game participation. If the rewards lose importance, so may everything else.
  • Treasures (My personal favorite to collect, would love to see more!)
  • Famed, Legendary items of any kind.
  • Any items needed for quests
  • Quest rewards
  • Special event items
  • Items redeemed only via codes
Eye for an eye trading is fairest… Crude sword for crude sword, common boots for common boots, etc… but could be circumvented if both parties agree to an inequal trade. It’d be easiest to ignore any skill boosts and existing item value amount, but if they were part of the whole equation, perhaps a couple coins could be included to make up the difference in item value. That may be overcomplicating things though. (But if Runescape can maintain a massive Grand Exchange, and other online games can handle trading, then surely WE can do this successfully as well!)

Having traded within other free online games, I do realize there are many pros and cons. There will always be someone looking for an opportunity to exploit others. There will always be someone who gets more emotionally attached to their pirate and puts way more sentimental value into their achievements and weapons. Everyone is different, and that’s okay. Is it worth quitting the game over? Not for me, no. No matter how much I love it, it’s still just a game.
Just because this aspect will eventually be implemented in the game, doesn’t mean that everyone has to or will participate… much less will immediately go and trade all of their best weapons. Even if they do, then so what? Their items, their choice. As long as the trading process is fair and secure, few will receive something for nothing and no one should naturally attain an unfair advantage over others.

Remember, this game, this community… is made of people coming together and having a good time, no matter how many hours we spend playing, which activities we partake in, which guild we join, which weapons we use, how many legendaries we score... or don’t, or how much sentimental value we do or don’t put into the game and in-game items. Other player’s trading, bragging, or gameplay styles won’t inherently take that experience and enjoyment away from us unless we allow it.

Slight tangent: As others have mentioned, I’ve always liked the idea of having leaderboards to reflect various achievements. Since naturally looting high-level weapons seems to be a hot topic… perhaps that can now be something to be acknowledged/rewarded for. Personally, I think a fun way to display such achievements would be unique “infamy” badges to wear either on our nametag or pirate profile card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back