Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters

BullWhip Griffin

Wanted Pirate
The entire time i played POTCO i had wondered why there was no trading? but after potco closed i realized why. So I've had mixed feelings about trading and so have others, since it was brought up a long time ago i have been against it, but recently i have been thinking about it more and i'm starting to feel how it could be a good thing.

I feel trading should be in the game because it would feel more pirate-y because pirates would actually trade items for gold etc. like adding trading would allow. Also it would be easier for staff to host GM events like POTCO did where the winner would get gold or an item, instead of having to make a code for it the GM could just trade the item to the winner(s). Another reason i feel like trading should be added is because it allows guilds to do giveaways for their loyal players, although this would encourage bribing for new members or a higher rank, this will strengthen the bonds players have in guilds and make them want to help their guild more. Or just giveaways in general if someone wants to do it for their viewers in a stream or to a random person in the guild. Lastly, if a player wants to help a friend that is having a hard time getting a legendary drop they can lend their friend a legendary or if someone wants to have their own "guild war" they can lend their members weapons so they will be victorious.

Although there are some cons, for example, players could rush through the game by asking their friend for a legendary weapon and not have to do the looting themselves, and streamers could bribe for follows by doing giveaways of this sort, and the same with guilds, although guilds could do this without trying to bribe a new member, that member could join and act like they will be loyal then take the item and leave which will cause a lot of "guild hopping" which means players will join one guild for something then leave and search for another guild for the same reason they joined the first.

In conclusion i feel that the pros outweigh the cons and this will strengthen the community, especially in guilds and streaming communities. Thank you for taking the time to read this, please comment how you feel about trading and what you voted on the poll!

Sorry if i missed anything, comment and i may add it.

~Bullwhip Griffin ☠

Last edited:
I don't feel like it should be added, as it would take away from the time and dedication it takes in order to proudly say Hey, I finally got a Legendary Sword. Looting was such a fun aspect of the game (especially since it was one of few things you could do after achieving level 50 and maxing every weapon/skill). It would take away from this aspect greatly.

I don't feel like it should be added, as it would take away from the time and dedication it takes in order to proudly say Hey, I finally got a Legendary Sword. Looting was such a fun aspect of the game (especially since it was one of few things you could do after achieving level 50 and maxing every weapon/skill). It would take away from this aspect greatly.
yeah i feel that too but if someone wants to just be lazy and not feel good about themselves for working for it then that is on them, i just made myself a lot of gold richer aha. also people will still have to work for the gold to buy it so pretty much looting it, this could just be if you are unlucky with drops like i was

yeah i feel that too but if someone wants to just be lazy and not feel good about themselves for working for it then that is on them, i just made myself a lot of gold richer aha. also people will still have to work for the gold to buy it so pretty much looting it, this could just be if you are unlucky with drops like i was
Gold is so much simpler to obtain. Anyone can get maxed gold by a number of ways including: Looting, Poker, Blackjack, Selling Items, Sailing, Loot Swap in SVS, etc etc. The fact that someone worked their butt off for days, weeks, or even months in order for it to be sold for something so obtainable is not good on their part. Work hard, and reap the rewards.

In response to your article BullWhipGriffin; trading has been a desired and expected feature for quite a while within the POTCO and TLOPO community. However, I feel that trading was never implemented as it completely destroys the idea of searching and thriving to discover that legendary or famed weapon you spent so long looking for (gold should not even be added as a part of the system). Even if so much as gold was added to this system, it would hit the game negatively, as people would just be able to buy massive ships and powerful weapons. What would be the point of playing the game when you have all the best weapons and ships just handed to you?

I would agree with you, but I feel the limit of trading items should ONLY be rare weapons. Even so much as giving somebody a rare weapon can easily destroy the idea of you looking for it, trading rare weapons can be just as effective as trading a legendary, more or less a famed weapon.

In the end, trading should not really be added, as it rids of an important part of the game, which is playing the game to find the weapons you want! I hope you can understand why I (and others) feel this way. Trading is a spectacular idea for the game, but in terms of having players spend time on the game and have fun, not so much. I hope you can understand why I came to this conclusion, I appreciate your article and ideas, but trading should only be limited from common to rare if was added.

Also it would be easier for staff to host GM events like POTCO did where the winner would get gold or an item, instead of having to make a code for it the GM could just trade the item to the winner(s).
Whenever someone won a contest (or when GMs were giving out items randomly), they simply added it to your inventory. I have personal experience with this, I got one of the Bloodfire swords that way.

Here's my outlook on implementing trading:
Trading should be implemented, but if it is, the gold cap should be removed. This would allow for a total player-driven economy (and also allows the playerbase to establish gold prices for each and every specific item, also based on color and rarity of color, ie: clothing and yes, even ships should be tradeable. A fully upgraded ship could be sold for a lot more than was put in, simply due to the convenience factor), which is seen in some successful MMOs, and turns out to be a very fun way of playing. It even adds another playstyle, which is one way I played in the game called Free Realms.

Complete player-driven economies only enhance the games that they are implemented into.

I understand the argument that trading would in theory take away the pride of finding more powerful weapons. But that only works if you find powerful weapons. My luck finding weapons in POTCO stunk. And it definitely was not for lack of trying. I spent hours upon hours upon hours looting everywhere. I tried recommended locations from people that found tons of strong stuff and that never really worked. I would be looting with people as they found famed and legendary, but all I got was measly rares or the same weapons I already had.

I guess it wouldn't necessarily be bad if trading was not implemented. But after my experience, it would only benefit the game. Especially players with my luck.

There will definitely be a problem with scamming if trading is implemented. I feel like it would be similar to RuneScape.

I thought about as well, but I can safely say I'm against it now. People should have to earn their legendary weapons. Plus, if someone hacks the game and gives himself weapons and stuff, we'll have all sorts of problems with hacked items.
I agree that people shouldn't be able to trade legendary items, but the chance of someone being able to hack the game is extremely low from what I know. I don't think anyone in POTCO figured out how to "hack the game" and I doubt they will in TLOPO either.

Trading should absolutely be added to the game. If someone wants to sell their hard earned weapon for gold, that's their prerogative, and I'm sure they won't part with it lightly. People who seem to think that it will devalue legendaries and whatnot don't seem to understand that these weapons will be extremely expensive, especially if gold is as easy to come by as you all claim. It's simple supply and demand. Keep in mind that you still need to be level 30 to use a legendary weapon, so it won't really help anyone "rush through the game" as some people have claimed.

Personally, I'd want it just so that my brother and I can trade between each other when we play in the future. I likely wouldn't plan to go out and cheat my own TLOPO experience by just buying the coveted items, because that would ruin the fun and reduce my goals/achievements. I could suggest making it so that only Player-Friends can trade, rather than just friends/guild mates/crews or random pirates, but that would be an easily avoidable limitation.

Trading within POTCO led to the game's demise (Disney received 'less' money for UA which in-turn, caused a trickle down effect leading themselves to not value POTCO as much). *On Youtube, "comments" made to videos in support of POTCO trading was epidemic! :sigh:

~ I do not support TLOPO "trading" because of what I do state above. In addition, when (trading) exchanges go bad...much angst in brought unnecessarily into the community which does not have to be if people would just remain satisfied with what they have!:smh:

Back