Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters
I'd prefer a player market place, in which players put up items for sale in their personal shop. That would be neat. :)
When I first heard about POTCO WAAYYY back when, I thought that this area on Old Port Royal was gonna be a market place haha

latest
latest
latest

(Images from http://lawsbrigadetew.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Port_Royal_Gallery )

Last edited:
The whole idea is that legendary weapons should NOT be easily obtainable. They should shine like a badge. It is sort of like working out, in the sense that there's no way you could have gotten said weapons if you had not worked for them. You could not have stolen them or borrowed them. They're your own achievement and it doesn't make sense to let your other pirates / other pirates use the same weapons you worked for. I knew people that made separate accounts to hunt for legendary weapons because their other accounts had too many weapons and it got boring. The game should remain the same in its weapon mechanics. Trading should be solely for clothes and materials to upgrade your ship, IF that. Since the game is going to be unlimited access for all, no one should have an advantage over another. If you don't want your legendary weapons, there should be an improved system to sell them to NPCs. There should be a skill that allows you to trade legendary weapons for a much higher price (like in skyrim) which can increase the incentive to sell legendary weapons to merchants if pirates don't want them. It would not be fair to just *give* them to your friends, because there may be a pirate who worked for weeks and still has not obtained a legendary, yet, because you don't want your legendary you just gave it away like candy. That would ruin my incentive to play if I learned that people's friends just gave away legendaries if I may be quite honest.

My Verdict:
Trading should only be for upgrades for ships (since it is more realistic and what drove the actual Caribbean economy anyway) and clothing since they provide no use other than cosmetics. Trading potions might also be favorable since they are tedious to obtain but any pirate could craft them and they do not rely on chance to obtain. Having an "inventory bank" for all your pirates to use is not a good idea since it requires much implementation and ruins the incentive to play the game. If you want your other pirates to have legendaries then go earn them. As drewski said, if you don't spend hours looking for legendaries you don't deserve them. A trading system that allows weapon trading (even with balances / fairness) would ruin the uniqueness of these weapons, simple as that.
In csgo there are items that aren't meant supposed to be gotten easily obtained, like knife skins (range from $60ish - $1,500), or a Dragon Lore AWP skin which can get up to around $2,500. You can have a trading system and still have items be rare. Having a trading system doesn't alter the rarity of the item.

In csgo there are items that aren't meant supposed to be gotten easily obtained, like knife skins (range from $60ish - $1,500), or a Dragon Lore AWP skin which can get up to around $2,500. You can have a trading system and still have items be rare. Having a trading system doesn't alter the rarity of the item.
Exactly. Supply and demand does.

I think it should be in the game, but only for people who are around the same level as you, because some might take advantage of lower level players and trade them a worse weapon for a better one. To trade I think you'd have to have them on your friends list, and I think the trading should mainly be up to rares because they're easier to find than the famed, legendary, and cursed blades, and because it wouldn't take away the fun of trying to find the higher-power weapons.

I think it should be in the game, but only for people who are around the same level as you, because some might take advantage of lower level players and trade them a worse weapon for a better one. To trade I think you'd have to have them on your friends list, and I think the trading should mainly be up to rares because they're easier to find than the famed, legendary, and cursed blades, and because it wouldn't take away the fun of trying to find the higher-power weapons.
I think the part about trading with people of similar levels is a good idea, but one question--why would a low level play, 15-30 or so, have a legendary? Most of them aren't high enough level to be fighting at the places where legendary weapons drop.

I like the thing about the friends list, that way they will have a little more time to think the trade through when they are accepting the friend request, and it encourages trading with people you know and trust.

Finally, for the thousandth time, some people find more fun in handling virtual currency to trade for their items than going out and looting them. For me personally, in LOTRO I accumulated 50 gold by level 40 because I found it fun to sell my items to buy better equipment from others. It wasn't as fun for me to go out and grind to try and fight the weapon or armor piece that I wanted. Maybe you like looting, I like trading, and I know there are plenty of other people that like trading too.

I think the part about trading with people of similar levels is a good idea, but one question--why would a low level play, 15-30 or so, have a legendary? Most of them aren't high enough level to be fighting at the places where legendary weapons drop.

I like the thing about the friends list, that way they will have a little more time to think the trade through when they are accepting the friend request, and it encourages trading with people you know and trust.

Finally, for the thousandth time, some people find more fun in handling virtual currency to trade for their items than going out and looting them. For me personally, in LOTRO I accumulated 50 gold by level 40 because I found it fun to sell my items to buy better equipment from others. It wasn't as fun for me to go out and grind to try and fight the weapon or armor piece that I wanted. Maybe you like looting, I like trading, and I know there are plenty of other people that like trading too.
I'm a HUGE Trading enthusiast as well, I always love player-driven economies.

something that would help scamming is maybe you would have to have them added for like 7 days? it wont eliminate it but it would help. Combined with other suggestions like double confirmations etc., anyways people probably won't be stupid enough to trade a legendary for a common, and if they try to trust someone saying they will give them a legendary from their other pirate, that is their fault for trusting them, and we shouldnt be punished for them being stupid enough to trade with someone when they arent getting something in return, you should only trade something when you know you are getting something in return otherwise if the other person scams you that is your fault...

something that would help scamming is maybe you would have to have them added for like 7 days? it wont eliminate it but it would help. Combined with other suggestions like double confirmations etc., anyways people probably won't be stupid enough to trade a legendary for a common, and if they try to trust someone saying they will give them a legendary from their other pirate, that is their fault for trusting them, and we shouldnt be punished for them being stupid enough to trade with someone when they arent getting something in return, you should only trade something when you know you are getting something in return otherwise if the other person scams you that is your fault...
Trade delays and the like were done in Steam; the backlash on it was immense. People don't want to wait 7 days to get an item that they want now.

Trade delays and the like were done in Steam; the backlash on it was immense. People don't want to wait 7 days to get an item that they want now.
you only have to have the person added for 7 days, that isnt a big deal, if you want to trade with someone you will probably have had them added for at least 7 days.

you only have to have the person added for 7 days, that isnt a big deal, if you want to trade with someone you will probably have had them added for at least 7 days.
Maybe none of your friends have the item you want. Maybe they aren't online.

If trading is implemented, there will people people standing around on Tortuga or Port Royal saying stuff like "Trading World Eater for _____ gold" or "Buying any gun with infinite Silver Shot." These people will probably not be on your friends list. Maybe you see an offer that you like and want to trade. Nope, you have to wait 7 days and by that time they probably will have forgotten about you, and you about them. A 7 day period before you can trade with someone is definitely a big deal. It's a MASSIVE deal. This type of wait time would completely ruin the concept of marketing in-game items. People wouldn't be able to sell their goods to anyone except their friends. In games like LOTRO or Trove, you see plenty of people selling their items out in a public place. This would even add to the game the idea of a "town square" for the main islands where you can go to sell or buy anything.

Maybe none of your friends have the item you want. Maybe they aren't online.

If trading is implemented, there will people people standing around on Tortuga or Port Royal saying stuff like "Trading World Eater for _____ gold" or "Buying any gun with infinite Silver Shot." These people will probably not be on your friends list. Maybe you see an offer that you like and want to trade. Nope, you have to wait 7 days and by that time they probably will have forgotten about you, and you about them. A 7 day period before you can trade with someone is definitely a big deal. It's a MASSIVE deal. This type of wait time would completely ruin the concept of marketing in-game items. People wouldn't be able to sell their goods to anyone except their friends. In games like LOTRO or Trove, you see plenty of people selling their items out in a public place. This would even add to the game the idea of a "town square" for the main islands where you can go to sell or buy anything.
yeah scratch the 7 days, i realized what you said too but didnt want to admit it :p anyways we can have other precautions and if someone falls for a scam where they arent getting anything in return then they shouldnt have trusted them in the first place and we shouldnt be punished by not getting trading for them being stupid

I think a public square on the main islands would be a good idea. That way, it provides a central place for people looking to trade and so it's concentrated in a few areas and not scattered out in random places.
Well in games with player-driven economies, there's usually a huge Trading hub (a main location that most public trades take place), sometimes there's a few other big Trading areas as well.
But, the secretive, or private trades, usually take place in the shady places. (Like in TLOPO's case, they would probably be Rat's Nest, or at the South Idol, Gold Room, Thrall Room, etc.)

In TLOPO's case I think Port Royal's dock would be a great place for a hub, also Padres would be great hub
It depends on where the players choose to hang out most actually. Given POTCO's history and such, it would most likely be that the beaches of Tortuga would be the main Trading hub where Pirates gather and shout out offers and such in the chat.

Just wanted to toss my hat in saying that I like the shared vault idea since I had terrible luck and would get 3-4 of the same sword on one character but couldn't for the life of me get it on another one so I'm all for being able to give those swords away to another character.

That's just :2 cents: however.

in regards to trading, i think it would be a good piratey thing to do -- use doubloons and not RW cash; whereas the concept of "vaults" erks my piratey soul.

i can understand the desire to stow something away, but i don't think the bank/clerk is the way to go. if a pirate hasn't spent it all, they might hide it. we have alot of boxes, barrels, beds, and other 'things' that be used for stowage. if you can make an item a clickable thing, hide your treasures -- making it your very own vault. burying your own things would sound cliche tho very piratey ..not sure if that'll be possible..

however, finding someone else's stowed/buried treasure would be more advantageous than going to a 'bank' and make the stower be more creative in keeping their effects safe.

Back