Discussion How do you feel about trading in the game?

What do you think about trading?

• Total voters
Trading will ruin the game if it is added.
Thats what a lot of people are saying, but nobodys back these claims up.
If they do add trade, it should be like the SWTOR trading. You saw what the other player was trading, you got to see all of stats and everything. You both would click submit trade offer or whatever so you cant go and change what you are trading, then you trade it if you both accept. Then there is always the market, where you just put it up for a price and the first person with the cash to buy it gets it. I like this alot, cause depending on the item, prices could rise and fall. An example of this is the Rolans Dire Helmet. I got it for 5k credits, now it can go anywhere in the millions

Thats what a lot of people are saying, but nobodys back these claims up.
If they do add trade, it should be like the SWTOR trading. You saw what the other player was trading, you got to see all of stats and everything. You both would click submit trade offer or whatever so you cant go and change what you are trading, then you trade it if you both accept. Then there is always the market, where you just put it up for a price and the first person with the cash to buy it gets it. I like this alot, cause depending on the item, prices could rise and fall. An example of this is the Rolans Dire Helmet. I got it for 5k credits, now it can go anywhere in the millions
You say I won't back up my claim? Ok, here's exactly why I don't want trading in the game.

Simply, it will destroy the purpose and experience of looting for legendary weapons. I was a pretty big looter in POTCO. By the time the game closed, I had 4 legendary cursed weapons and almost 3 whole vertical rows in my inventory of famed cursed (though some of them were repeats haha). I spent so much time looting for those weapons, and it was honestly quite an experience. I met so many cool people while looting, people that would later go on to become very good friends in-game with me. All those memories that were made, all the great people I met, I would never have gotten to experience if you could trade. If we were to give people an opportunity to bypass all that and just pick up a repeat famed or legendary weapon from their friend, in my opinion that would be terrible.

And in addition to all that, it would be idiotic how geared out some lower-leveled players would be. You cannot deny that there will be level 30's running around with multiple legendary cursed and full sets of bright clothing because they "traded" with their friends to get them, when it should only be the most experienced and dedicated level 50's who have the possibility of having all those things.

You say I won't back up my claim? Ok, here's exactly why I don't want trading in the game.

Simply, it will destroy the purpose and experience of looting for legendary weapons. I was a pretty big looter in POTCO. By the time the game closed, I had 4 legendary cursed weapons and almost 3 whole vertical rows in my inventory of famed cursed (though some of them were repeats haha). I spent so much time looting for those weapons, and it was honestly quite an experience. I met so many cool people while looting, people that would later go on to become very good friends in-game with me. All those memories that were made, all the great people I met, I would never have gotten to experience if you could trade. If we were to give people an opportunity to bypass all that and just pick up a repeat famed or legendary weapon from their friend, in my opinion that would be terrible.

And in addition to all that, it would be idiotic how geared out some lower-leveled players would be. You cannot deny that there will be level 30's running around with multiple legendary cursed and full sets of bright clothing because they "traded" with their friends to get them, when it should only be the most experienced and dedicated level 50's who have the possibility of having all those things.
There will still be low levels with brights and legendary's. I got my 8th by the time I was 35. And its not like people will be selling their brights and weapons for cheap. Theyll probably go for the price of a Frigate, and low levels wont have the cash to really afford it.

Errr it will not defeat the point of looting for legendaries. If nobody loots, there are no legendaries to sell/trade in the first place xD The looters only benefit from trading because they get to sell dupe items and make a fortune. And brights look gross anyways, Captn Black set ftw xD

I think this would /reduce/ account stealing greatly because what's the point in stealing an account for a legendary when you can legitimately trade for said legendary yourself? Same with acc sharing, old players that are leaving could just give away stuff instead of their account
Edit: sorry please merge... accidental double post
You can legitimately trade for a knife in CSGO but people still scam for them...

There will still be low levels with brights and legendary's. I got my 8th by the time I was 35. And its not like people will be selling their brights and weapons for cheap. Theyll probably go for the price of a Frigate, and low levels wont have the cash to really afford it.
Errr it will not defeat the point of looting for legendaries. If nobody loots, there are no legendaries to sell/trade in the first place xD The looters only benefit from trading because they get to sell dupe items and make a fortune. And brights look gross anyways, Captn Black set ftw xD
I see what you guys are saying.

MAYBE: if trading was added, there would be a minimum level required to trade items (it would be high, like 45+), and clothing and famed weapons could be traded, but not legendaries.

My big problem with trading is that I don't feel like legendaries should be traded.

You can legitimately trade for a knife in CSGO but people still scam for them...
I don't play CS:GO but as a general rule, %95 of the time people get scammed it's because of their own stupidity... if it's too good to be true don't fall for it. When you trade you take the risk of being cheated out of your money, just like in real life and in the real Carribean at the times...

That's like saying that you should have to have tons of hours and be level 50 to even have access to looting locations where legendaries can be dropped.

I'm sorry, what? I genuinely don't see how you got that from what I wrote, lol.
Having a level requirement on trading just limits people without reason - what's the harm if a lowbie trades a lowbie a duplicate common item? Likewise, what's the harm if a lv50 trades his newbie friend a extra legendary? If there's no trading he could just let the lowbie leech him in a high level area for loot anyways so that he could get a legendary

Having a level requirement on trading just limits people without reason - what's the harm if a lowbie trades a lowbie a duplicate common item? Likewise, what's the harm if a lv50 trades his newbie friend a extra legendary? If there's no trading he could just let the lowbie leech him in a high level area for loot anyways so that he could get a legendary
It's not "without reason" - legendaries in POTCO were extremely rare and hard to obtain, and in TLOPO they should stay like that.
"it should only be the most experienced and dedicated level 50's who have the possibility of having all those things."

Directly quoted from your prior post.
Your "having access to certain places" example is quite silly (even though in many games you can only get to certain places if you are high leveled). However, I see nothing wrong with the statement that you need to be an experienced player to have earned many sets of bright clothing and many legendary weapons, you should not be able to get all that stuff being so low-leveled.

First age weapons are hard to get in LOTRO
They get sold there... the economy is great.
Artifact gear is hard to get in SWTOR.
It gets sold there... the economy is great.
Vostakus Ingots are hard to get in Life is Feudal
They get traded there... the economy is great and completely player-run.
See where I'm going?

First age weapons are hard to get in LOTRO
They get sold there... the economy is great.
Artifact gear is hard to get in SWTOR.
It gets sold there... the economy is great.
Vostakus Ingots are hard to get in Life is Feudal
They get traded there... the economy is great and completely player-run.
See where I'm going?
I'm not familiar with those games, and it's great that trading works well in them. But in POTCO, trading was never a feature, and the game was not designed to accommodate trading.

Like I've said before, I'd be OK with trading if it...
  • Was only available to players of a higher level (like 45+)
  • Only allowed weapons famed and under to be traded (anything else, like cosmetics (clothing, jewelry, tattoos, would be fine)
Just not legendary weapons, they're too rare and valuable to be traded.

Last edited:
They really weren't all you're cracking them up to be. I got one from a free code lol and it was better than any of the looted ones. All players should be able to trade, maybe limit the trading of legendaries alone to 45. But honestly it should be completely free-trade

They really weren't all you're cracking them up to be. I got one from a free code lol and it was better than any of the looted ones. All players should be able to trade, maybe limit the trading of legendaries alone to 45. But honestly it should be completely free-trade
That reminds me of another point I'll have to bring up when the game is released :p no more redeem code or contest-only legendary weapons!

Anyway, free trade ftw. BUT... you could make it so that legendary weapon trading is "Illegal" and there is a chance the item is seized and you both get sent to jail when you're at port to discourage it... and makes RP sense too

...I find that one of the updates that SOE added to the Trading in Free Realms would be a wonderful solution to all of our "concerns" of adding Trading to TLOPO.

They simply added a second confirmation screen in the Trading window. You would add your items to the screen (both players could see what each was offering) and then you could click either Accept or Decline. Then, there would be another confirmation, stating something like "Are your sure you wish to complete this trade?" (the items would all be highlighted and frozen in the trading windows, neither party able to add/remove anything) and you'd have to either Accept or Decline again...

My suggestion eliminates all of the problems/concerns having to do with scamming and such.
...2. How does giving lower level pirates famed weapons defeat the purpose? Those lower level pirates still must have the required level to wield the weapon.

I get the whole second confirmation/accept or decline functionality. However, such safe-guard only prevents errors from being made during the trade itself. What about afterwards and much later? :confused: Let me explain below.

*A big problem POTCO had was a lack of available space given for both garb and weapons. OK, so let's say a player is looting heavily on TLOPO one day and given the lack of inventory space this player accidentally deletes a traded TLOPO weapon (acquired from someone else) for the purpose of continually adding bling into their own inventory. (Within the heat of the moment on POTCO, such mistakes have been made don't ye agree)?

So...the whole entire point about a trade never resulting into any potential mistake or regret is void in my opinion given the above scenario. In the end, one party has sufficiently gained a weapon of value over another which ruined the initial intent of trade leading to complete and absolute fairness for both parties involved. (Note: I am concerned with/I am referring to weapon trades only).

...To me, trading ruins all the fun of having to loot for a weapon.

You can just rely on your buddies to give you cool swords instead of earning them yourself. And what you said about if someone accidentally trades away a legendary weapon, then it's "their fault"? What if they misclick? What if they are still a relatively low-leveled player who gets a legendary and they're still not familiar with how the trading system works, should it be "their fault" if they get scammed out of a good weapon?

And you talked about raising the gold cap to a higher amount to make it "like you're earning it" when you make a trade. Tbh no amount of gold can be equal to the time, gameplay, memories you make, and people you meet while on the quest for legendary weapons.

...I know that during my time of playing POTCO, I did wish for trading to be added. However, I now realize that looting among other things were the reason that I kept coming back to POTCO...
I absolutely agree with the statements above to which I had colored in bold. :iagree:

You know, I am not the smartest pirate out there but...haven't we lost 3 years of productive time, memory, and game-play all on account of POTCO's closing? Can somebody please tell me why then you would purposefully want to speed right through TLOPO only to ultimately master your own pirates (assisted in-part by implemented [in-game] weapon trading)?

*Where's the logic to trading when it only rushes yourself through the entire gaming process? :confused: Would you grow bored with TLOPO then and move onto something else? (How would that then affect the continuation of community)?

Trading weapons = stronger pirates = quicker gains = a race towards your own TLOPO end? And a few of you are OK with this? :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the whole second confirmation/accept or decline functionality. However, such safe-guard only prevents errors from being made during the trade itself. What about afterwards and much later? :confused: Let me explain below.

*A big problem POTCO had was a lack of available space given for both garb and weapons. OK, so let's say a player is looting heavily on TLOPO one day and given the lack of inventory space this player accidentally deletes a traded TLOPO weapon (acquired from someone else) for the purpose of continually adding bling into their own inventory. (Within the heat of the moment on POTCO, such mistakes have been made don't ye agree)?

So...the whole entire point about a trade never resulting into any potential mistake or regret is void in my opinion given the above scenario. In the end, one party has sufficiently gained a weapon of value over another which ruined the initial intent of trade leading to complete and absolute fairness for both parties involved. (Note: I am concerned with/I am referring to weapon trades only).

I absolutely agree with the statements above to which I had colored in bold. :iagree:

You know, I am not the smartest pirate out there but...haven't we lost 3 years of productive time, memory, and game-play all on account of POTCO's closing? Can somebody please tell me why then you would purposefully want to speed right through TLOPO only to ultimately master your own pirates (assisted in-part by implemented [in-game] weapon trading)?

*Where's the logic to trading when it only rushes yourself through the entire gaming process? :confused: Would you grow bored with TLOPO then and move onto something else? (How would that then affect the continuation of community)?

Trading weapons = stronger pirates = quicker gains = a race towards your own TLOPO end? And a few of you are OK with this? :facepalm:
Definitely agreed with what ya said! Legendary weapons are just too special to be thrown around between owners, it belongs to the pirate who discovered it and nobody else! :D

Back