If you love to sail, you need to understand ONE thing!

I hadn't considered the time of the OP being before hunters.

Even so, I find people nagging me to port to be more annoying than what this thread describes. And that's petty and negligible.
If it's really that hard to tolerate, stay out of Abassa. Problem solved.

I hadn't considered the time of the OP being before hunters.

Even so, I find people nagging me to port to be more annoying than what this thread describes. And that's petty and negligible.
If it's really that hard to tolerate, stay out of Abassa. Problem solved.
I avoid Abassa like the plague, and I still encounter this issue rather frequently. It doesn't bother me as much anymore as I have mastered sailing, but I feel bad for my crew, who aren't getting as much rep on cannon. As I've said, a rework on how rep is awarded at sea, would fix this problem in a heartbeat

Last edited:
It would be great if DEV steps in on this one. Even though everyone's input is valuable, I have to believe we are all speculating as this is in beta and lots of things are getting worked on. I've been trying to find the answers in the tlopo game forums and everywhere and nothing concise is being found. Is there a thread about this exact issue somewhere that I might have missed?

This issue is important to me as trying to help pirates was a no brainer, until now. I don't even want to go on other ships until I know whats what.
Are any game dev's seeing this thread and will answer my inquiry? Maybe this is answered in the tlopo wiki, but even that has speculation in it at times. Answering this question would probably settle the original op's thoughts.

Did you ever pause to consider that perhaps that captain might need some assistance? I've never shied away from team battles if the occasion requires. It's not about stealing half their loot - at least not for me - it's about helping a fellow pirate on the verge of losing their ship and going to jail.

Did you ever pause to consider that perhaps that captain might need some assistance? I've never shied away from team battles if the occasion requires. It's not about stealing half their loot - at least not for me - it's about helping a fellow pirate on the verge of losing their ship and going to jail.
I have considered that, but at the same time, not all players think like you do. The majority, do it to get quick, and easy loot. I'm not saying all do. I will say, for me, if I get involved in a battle that's too much for me to handle, I'll handle the consequences. Although I appreciate the players who want to help, there's no easy way to distinguish from the greedy players

I have considered that, but at the same time, not all players think like you do. The majority, do it to get quick, and easy loot. I'm not saying all do. I will say, for me, if I get involved in a battle that's too much for me to handle, I'll handle the consequences. Although I appreciate the players who want to help, there's no easy way to distinguish from the greedy players
I'm going to say this for the last time. I don't know for a fact that anything is lost at all in that scenario and players perceptions of rep and loot in that situation is still speculation as far as I'm concerned. I would like a game developer to answer this once and for all.
Does the original pirate lose ANYTHING from a second pirate tagging a ship. ANYTHING at all.
And why won't a DEV say anything? The original OP has a point, but it may be moot depending on the answers from the game people. NOT a player. No disrespect to anyone. If a dev doesn't see this here I will start a topic today.

Thanks

I'm going to say this for the last time. I don't know for a fact that anything is lost at all in that scenario and players perceptions of rep and loot in that situation is still speculation as far as I'm concerned. I would like a game developer to answer this once and for all.
Does the original pirate lose ANYTHING from a second pirate tagging a ship. ANYTHING at all.
And why won't a DEV say anything? The original OP has a point, but it may be moot depending on the answers from the game people. NOT a player. No disrespect to anyone. If a dev doesn't see this here I will start a topic today.

Thanks
PM a dev, or tag one, but this is the case, and it is accepted. It's a very easy thing to test if you don't believe people, it's not that difficult.

I think it's a mutual benefit type thing though.

Though they may be working on rep at that particular moment, that's not to say when they're on a looting run they won't do the same thing.

If we all just universally accept that it's beneficial to tag each others targets at least once to get the extra cargo, we'll all be happier. People will do it to you, but you'll do it to other people, and that's an equal exchange.

It's especially useful against hunters and warships, where even if five other ships tag my warship I'll still get max rep for it and it significantly reduces the time it takes to get a full material run if I tag their ships too. But that's just a bonus, the above lines are what's important.

Fair enough, but you'll never have a perfect system in any game, or in any aspect of life. Open world sailing comes with that kind of price, but I think it's worth it. There isn't anything we can do about it, no matter how much reprimanding we do. And, all things considered, among the many annoying things the trolls subject us to in the game, this is one of the more minor offenses. I don't really feel like this is worth outraging about.

I mean, it's not like we're running out of ships anytime soon! :laugh:

Fair enough, but you'll never have a perfect system in any game, or in any aspect of life. Open world sailing comes with that kind of price, but I think it's worth it. There isn't anything we can do about it, no matter how much reprimanding we do. And, all things considered, among the many annoying things the trolls subject us to in the game, this is one of the more minor offenses. I don't really feel like this is worth outraging about.

I mean, it's not like we're running out of ships anytime soon! :laugh:
If we aren't "running out of ships any time soon" Why do people feel the need to mooch off of my ships? I understand your argument, and again, there is a good fix. Just rework rep, to be awarded differently, as opposed to having a hit-based awarding system. I'm not outraged, I'm just trying to stand up for the pirates trying to level up their sailing and/or cannons. I've been there, it takes a long time to level up with people following me around the seas, and "helping" sink my ships

If you are sinking hunters for rep then you are wasting your time. You can sink lesser ships in less time and get more rep per minute than a hunter. If you want all the glory for yourself sail out beyond the islands and I doubt you will be interrupted. Definitely do not stay in front of Padres because that can become a ship sinking frenzy! I have more of a complaint of the people who join my ship that blaze away at anything that moves, do not repair, aim for the sails or use grape to boost their rep instead of sinking it quickly. And remember, this is a pirate based game. Pirates did not sail around, see another ship be attacked, and say, oh well, they had it first. They would jump it, too. Most people sink hunters for the ship material. If other ships "help" sink the one you shot then you are done faster like someone mentioned above. My working theory is the longer you stay out on a ship material run the better the chance you have of being dc'd (regardless if people are not repairing or off the cannons).

If you are sinking hunters for rep then you are wasting your time. You can sink lesser ships in less time and get more rep per minute than a hunter. If you want all the glory for yourself sail out beyond the islands and I doubt you will be interrupted. Definitely do not stay in front of Padres because that can become a ship sinking frenzy! I have more of a complaint of the people who join my ship that blaze away at anything that moves, do not repair, aim for the sails or use grape to boost their rep instead of sinking it quickly. And remember, this is a pirate based game. Pirates did not sail around, see another ship be attacked, and say, oh well, they had it first. They would jump it, too. Most people sink hunters for the ship material. If other ships "help" sink the one you shot then you are done faster like someone mentioned above. My working theory is the longer you stay out on a ship material run the better the chance you have of being dc'd (regardless if people are not repairing or off the cannons).
Yeah, pirate game, I get it. As I've said before, pirates also beheaded people, and hung them, can we do that? Next update maybe? I hate that argument so much. I have tried all of these "workarounds" I sail out far, away from people, I always avoided loud servers, so on so forth. The problem with going out far, is A. People expect that. And B. It glitches hunter spawns, and that seems to be what stops them from spawning. I don't go after hunters for rep, but for a sailor who happens to be new to the game, when every ship they tag is attacked, and sunk by pirates who see an easy, and quick kill, it's near impossible to level up, it took me a LOT of time. And, I personally care about how much rep my crew is getting. Yeah, we always hang on for good loot, but it's nice to level up and get good rep whilst still looting.

Then make it a more realistic target
There's nothing unrealistic about my point. Unless we completely change the game, and make it completely un-family friendly, it's not happening. Your response, I can only imagine, came from not having a reasonable rebutle. I don't understand what was so difficult to understand, but I guess I can't speak for everyone

I believe Stormtimbers was being funny. If possible it would be good for the main attacker to get the most rep but isn't rep based on who does the most damage primarily? Someone putting a shot or two into a hunter should not take that much rep away. If they are then maybe the developers can reduce that amount. I do not think there is anyway to prevent other people from attacking the ship. Perhaps they can make it so no one else gets any of the material by making it so you have to board the hunter like the flag ships? However, in the fighting age of sail any British ship that was just in sight of another enemy ship being captured shared in the prize money equally. At least in this game you actually have to contribute damage.

I believe Stormtimbers was being funny. If possible it would be good for the main attacker to get the most rep but isn't rep based on who does the most damage primarily? Someone putting a shot or two into a hunter should not take that much rep away. If they are then maybe the developers can reduce that amount. I do not think there is anyway to prevent other people from attacking the ship. Perhaps they can make it so no one else gets any of the material by making it so you have to board the hunter like the flag ships? However, in the fighting age of sail any British ship that was just in sight of another enemy ship being captured shared in the prize money equally. At least in this game you actually have to contribute damage.
Rep is dealt based on the number of hits upon an enemy. In POTCO, it was damage based for a while, but they changed it, to a hit based system. Both have a significant number of flaws, and I hope TLOPO can find a better rep system, as I believe this to be the main issue with rep while sailing

Back