If you love to sail, you need to understand ONE thing!

Why exactly is this such a big deal? I really don't care if anyone helps me take down ships, it makes the process a lot faster while not affecting my loot. If you have a problem with other ships helping you I would assume that you also have an issue with people gunning for you.
In some cases I may prefer to fly solo with no gunners. It affects rep, big time, and believe it or not, loot (see my previous replies). I don't mind gunners on my ship, but if I'm leveling my sailing or cannon, it's usually me on the ship, and at most, one other person

Two weeks have passed since posting the OP... and i'd like to add an addendum to it because there is another behavior that is disturbing.

Several times each day, not only does someone sink the ship I've taken the sails off and leveling sailing with... the actually sail right up to my ship and BLOCK my attempt at shooting my own ship.

So not only do they interfere with my game play... they block my game play.

Hopefully pirates who scan over this thread who do this behavior realize how offensive it is and discontinue the practice.

Because its over the top mean and selfish.
Your shots still carry through other pirates ships.

In some cases I may prefer to fly solo with no gunners. It affects rep, big time, and believe it or not, loot (see my previous replies). I don't mind gunners on my ship, but if I'm leveling my sailing or cannon, it's usually me on the ship, and at most, one other person
You mean the post where you said attacking hunters and warships isn't giving you loot? I think that's probably a glitch instead of being caused by another player.

You mean the post where you said attacking hunters and warships isn't giving you loot? I think that's probably a glitch instead of being caused by another player.
I would believe it were a glitch if it happened when they weren't being attacked by another player, but it only occurs to me, when another player engages my hunter/warship. Maybe it's a bug, but I really doubt it...

Here we go again, I guess...

Welcome to reality.
Yes, reality! Where this stuff doesn't matter. This is a very casual MMORPG. Losing a few points of rep isn't something that matters.
Morality doesn't go out the door cuz you want the excuse to behave badly.
It doesn't and it isn't. It is not immoral for me to play the game. It is not immoral to sink a ship that I have every right to sink. As the first one to attack it, you still don't have any rights to being the only one allowed to shoot that ship.
You choose to behave badly... you choose the consequences.
What consequences? lol

Yes, reality! Where this stuff doesn't matter. This is a very casual MMORPG. Losing a few points of rep isn't something that matters.
Though this may not be the case for you, it does not mean, that this is true for everyone. To some people the extra 40 rep they're losing, per ship, is a big deal, because that is a good bit of rep. When [most] people can only play the game for 3 hours at a time, at best, and sailing is as unstable as it is, 40 rep, is a big loss per ship. Just because your play style is different than everyone else's, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. You have to look at this from both sides, not just your own.

Though this may not be the case for you, it does not mean, that this is true for everyone. To some people the extra 40 rep they're losing, per ship, is a big deal, because that is a good bit of rep. When [most] people can only play the game for 3 hours at a time, at best, and sailing is as unstable as it is, 40 rep, is a big loss per ship. Just because your play style is different than everyone else's, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. You have to look at this from both sides, not just your own.
You misunderstand. I'm not saying that the 40 rep is unimportant in terms of the game. I'm saying that the 40 rep is unimportant in the grand scheme.

40 rep?? I get more than that from just one single broadside.

Minor confession...

Sometimes, when taking a long sail across the map, I will fire drive-by broadsides at enemy ships and keep going. I will not do this if I see the ship is engaged with a player. But once I've hit a few and continue on, when those guys are sunk - I get a little taste of the goodies.

I don't consider this the same level as stalking or shadowing another player for the soul purpose of rep stealing. In fact, the next person to come along gets an easier kill. More often if a smaller ship is shadowing me, I just zen it.

However, in the old days a good way of dealer with a shadowing rep thief was to lead them into a mass of enemy ships or aggro a bunch and turn them at'em - then sail onward, leaving them to their devices.

Exactly, and that's about what the other player is losing, when you stalk their kills, which is the point I was trying to make
I just think this is way too small of an issue to even be a debate. It's a super causal mmo. This isn't WoW. We're all here to have fun. Just let people play the game the way they want.

As many of you know, people pirate for different reasons! Some like to loot for rare items, some like to hang with their guild mates chatting about whatever, and some like to work their pirate.

Now that the game has fixed the ships... we all need to understand ONE thing:

It is RUDE beyond bad manners to shoot an enemy ship another captain has damaged. They have worked hard to disable the ship, to remove the sails, to risk damage to their own ship. I'm sure it bothers you to have it done to you and your ship mates when some other pirate comes by with massive damage skills and sinks your ship before you get a chance. Be considerate!!!

You may want the EASY loot... but the pirate removing the sails doesn't want loot. He wants to level up his sailing. I think many just don't understand what they're doing and how it makes you look. In the many, many years with my many, many pirates - I have NEVER intentionally sunk a damaged ship being worked on by another pirate.

Be kind. Be considerate. Do what you like and don't interfere in what they're doing.

THANKS!!!
Um........ I have never found this to be a problem. If someone ever shoots a ship I have damaged I don't care at all. I never pay attention to it. In fact sometimes I'm glad and think "Oh another ship maybe we can help eachother." I have never found this to be a problem so.... I don't know what you are trying to argue here..

I just think this is way too small of an issue to even be a debate. It's a super causal mmo. This isn't WoW. We're all here to have fun. Just let people play the game the way they want.
That argument is a double edged sword. By sailing up and mooching peoples kill, you aren't letting others play the game the way they want. Because if I want to play the game that way, and you come in and take the rep, you aren't letting me play the game the way I want. I hate the argument, "Let people play the game the way they want" because the people who use it neglect to apply it to themselves. I'm not saying that "you must all cease and desist attacking other players ships, for it is blah, blah, blah". What I am asking, is that the next time you go to attack a ship engaged by another pirate, who seems to have it under control, remember your "Just let people play the game the way they want" advice. I only quoted your reply because it was the most recent one I read, and do not at all mean this as a personal attack. I just ask anyone who uses that argument, to apply it to themselves as well.

That argument is a double edged sword. By sailing up and mooching peoples kill, you aren't letting others play the game the way they want. Because if I want to play the game that way, and you come in and take the rep, you aren't letting me play the game the way I want. I hate the argument, "Let people play the game the way they want" because the people who use it neglect to apply it to themselves. I'm not saying that "you must all cease and desist attacking other players ships, for it is blah, blah, blah". What I am asking, is that the next time you go to attack a ship engaged by another pirate, who seems to have it under control, remember your "Just let people play the game the way they want" advice. I only quoted your reply because it was the most recent one I read, and do not at all mean this as a personal attack. I just ask anyone who uses that argument, to apply it to themselves as well.
Which I have already done and I have no problem with someone attacking a ship I was fighting. If this changes in the future I'll let you guys know.

Which I have already done and I have no problem with someone attacking a ship I was fighting. If this changes in the future I'll let you guys know.
That's fine if you don't mind other players tagging along for the ride. But again, not everyone who plays the game, plays it that way. There are some, obviously by looking at this thread, who would rather be left alone. Again, I won't sail around attacking other people's ships, because that's not the way I play the game. If you're gonna use the argument "let people play the game the way they want" then make sure to let others (like myself, and others like me, who don't like being followed, and having the ships we've engaged sunk by someone else) to do the same.

Last edited:
Can somebody from dev's please respond if the first pirate fighting the ship when a second pirate comes and opens fire and together they sink the ship ACTUALLY loses any rep, loot or ANYTHING at all while receiving what would be the full compliment of loot? Does both parties receive the same loot and rep as if they were alone? This is important if nothing is lost at all to the first pirate, then this issue is just a morality issue. One point being, I didn't know this and haven't read all the manifest about tlopo and honestly thought I was helping out when I saw pirates fighting. It didn't enter my mind about the OP's point of view.

Have I been taking away something when I thought I was helping a fellow pirate? I really want to be clear about this and I want a DEV to explain it if possible. Or point me to the info area.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Can somebody from dev's please respond if the first pirate fighting the ship when a second pirate comes and opens fire and they sink the ship ACTUALLY loses any rep, loot or ANYTHING at all while receiving what would by the full compliment of loot? Does both parties receive the same loot and rep as if they were alone? This is important if nothing is lost at all to the first pirate, then this issue is just a morality issue. One point being, I didn't know this and haven't read all the manifest about tlopo and honestly thought I was helping out when I saw pirates fighting. It didn't enter my mind about the OP's point of view.

Have I been taking away something when I thought I was helping a fellow pirate? I really want to be clear about this and I want a DEV to explain it if possible. Or point me to the info area.
Thanks.
@Ecio ?

Can somebody from dev's please respond if the first pirate fighting the ship when a second pirate comes and opens fire and together they sink the ship ACTUALLY loses any rep, loot or ANYTHING at all while receiving what would be the full compliment of loot? Does both parties receive the same loot and rep as if they were alone? This is important if nothing is lost at all to the first pirate, then this issue is just a morality issue. One point being, I didn't know this and haven't read all the manifest about tlopo and honestly thought I was helping out when I saw pirates fighting. It didn't enter my mind about the OP's point of view.

Thanks.
I have run several tests on my own, with a friend. Loot is still hardbto gauge because it's still pretty much bad all around, but rep is definitely reduced. Around level 17 sailing we started running these tests, on EITC Ogres. If I engaged, battled, and defeated the ship on my own, without any outside interference, I received approximately 138 rep, give or take. Then we proceeded to have him fire one broadside in the ship before it sank, and it reduced me to about 115 rep a ship. When he engaged, and actually battled the ships I did, I got around 90-95 rep. I know, I'm not a dev, but I have extensively put this to the test. Again, loot is still really bad so, it's hard to tell if it's affected, but I can say with certainty, that rep is, simply due to the fact, that rep is totaled by the number of hits. If someone comes along, fights the ship, and helps sink it, naturally you get less hits, and less rep.

I have run several tests on my own, with a friend. Loot is still hardbto gauge because it's still pretty much bad all around, but rep is definitely reduced. Around level 17 sailing we started running these tests, on EITC Ogres. If I engaged, battled, and defeated the ship on my own, without any outside interference, I received approximately 138 rep, give or take. Then we proceeded to have him fire one broadside in the ship before it sank, and it reduced me to about 115 rep a ship. When he engaged, and actually battled the ships I did, I got around 90-95 rep. I know, I'm not a dev, but I have extensively put this to the test. Again, loot is still really bad so, it's hard to tell if it's affected, but I can say with certainty, that rep is, simply due to the fact, that rep is totaled by the number of hits. If someone comes along, fights the ship, and helps sink it, naturally you get less hits, and less rep.
I don't know. Is rep really tallied by each hit? I appreciate the response, but it would be nice to get an authority on this as well.
As with all other mutlimomo's or whatever they;re called today, pvp was the only time another player made a difference other than special events or world quest monsters, but in the world pve, if didn't matter who tagged it, who ever joined in got the same everything across the board.

If I can't effect or hit another players ship if not in pvp mode, why would I be able to effect what they're doing then in pve? Can a players ship take damage from me in non pvp mode just sailing around?

Last edited:
Back