If you love to sail, you need to understand ONE thing!

I don't mean to be rude here, but you're just whining for the sake of whining. It's a PIRATE GAME! Let the other player do what they want. Don't go sailing on Abassa expecting nobody to touch a ship you've damaged. Anyone's ship can be sunk by anyone, there's no ownership.

I tell ya this; after the hunters and warships got into the mix, there's not many pirates sailing that don't want all the extra help they can get lately.
EXCEPT IF YOU BLOCK MY EVER-TURNING SHIP WITH YOURS YOU WALNUTS. Every SINGLE time when I'm circling that Battle Royale. Ugh.

XD

Last edited:
I find at least with the hunters and warships, I'm fine with people running between me and the enemy, because that means they are the ones more likely to get nailed by an explosive broadside than I am, and if anything they are acting like a shield. :p
Not that I position my ship in a way that it happens frequently or anything...

I don't mean to be rude here, but you're just whining for the sake of whining. It's a PIRATE GAME! Let the other player do what they want. Don't go sailing on Abassa expecting nobody to touch a ship you've damaged. Anyone's ship can be sunk by anyone, there's no ownership.
I don't necessarily know that anyone is "whining" for the sake of whining. It's not all too fun, when people lie in wait for you to get your hunters and warships, and then plant themselves between you and the warship/hunter, so that you can't get any broadsides to hit. I was the one to work for that bounty, not them. And as I have mentioned prior, it has been affecting my loot. If someone intervenes, depending on how much damage they deal, or when they intervene (haven't found out which) I get lesser loot from hunters and warships. AKA, no materials, which is what I'm shooting them for. Yes, for the millionth time, I get it's a pirate game, and an MMO, but its still wrong. If you don't mind people following you around and getting between you and your loot/rep/materials, you do you, but not everyone is like that. Not to mention, the game can't handle too much happening on screen at once. When you have two, fully crewed player ships, a hunter, and a warship, all firing at each other, it leads to really bad lag, and in many cases, a crash. Then it really does affect me, and my loot.

Last edited:
I find at least with the hunters and warships, I'm fine with people running between me and the enemy, because that means they are the ones more likely to get nailed by an explosive broadside than I am, and if anything they are acting like a shield. :p
Not that I position my ship in a way that it happens frequently or anything...
Yes but when people block you so you can't move so you get hit by explosive broadsides.

I don't necessarily know that anyone is "whining" for the sake of whining. It's not all to fun, when people lie in wait for you to get your hunters and warships, and then plant themselves between you and the warship/hunter, so that you can't get any broadsides to hit. I was the one to work for that bounty, not them. And as I have mentioned prior, it has been affecting my loot. If someone intervenes, depending on how much damage they deal, or when they intervene (haven't found out which) I get lesser loot from hunters and warships. AKA, no materials, which is what I'm shooting them for. Yes, for the millionth time, I get it's a pirate game, and an MMO, but its still wrong. If you don't mind people following you around and getting between you and your loot/rep/materials, you do you, but not everyone is like that. Not to mention, the game can't handle too much happening on screen at once. When you have two, fully crewed player ships, a hunter, and a warship, all firing at each other, it leads to really bad lag, and in many cases, a crash. Then it really does affect me, and my loot.
I understand 100%. It sucks and I agree that it sucks, but there's not much you can do other than asking them to stop. I do agree, though, that multiple ships shooting multiple hunters and warships can cause bad lag even on good rigs.

I understand 100%. It sucks and I agree that it sucks, but there's not much you can do other than asking them to stop. I do agree, though, that multiple ships shooting multiple hunters and warships can cause bad lag even on good rigs.
And I do realize there is nothing to do at the time being, trust me I do lol, its just beyond frustrating, because it gets to feeling like I'm doing someone else's work for them, which is no fun. And yeah, the lag gets really bad, and I do have a good rig lol

I've read through this entire thread and responses on both sides. I hadn't realized that this was an issue so I went sailing alone and made a point to stay clear of other ships. I would pull out one ship to have them follow me so I could battle away from large groups. I noticed that it didn't take long for other, and much larger ships to come and start shooting. Mind you I was away from them but they made it a point especially if I was going against something big with my little light galleon.

Did it annoy me? Not so much. Did it give me less rep which is what I was after? Absolutely! The ships I battled alone gave me way more rep points than the ones that had others swoop in to shoot.

Bottom line...everyone seems to do it. But it is a pirate game so I don't let it bother me. I am late to start the game. I signed up last year and managed to log on then only to crash or freeze or have nothing to do. Then of course it was down for a while. Never being able to find or obtain a key I just gave up for a while. So right now for me it's all about leveling up and this is true for many of my friends. In the end I'm happy the game is now functioning so well.

My advice...try not to let it bother you and enjoy the game.

You know, it might be an easy solution to just make it where you get the same amount of rep regardless of whether or not there's another ship involved.

I've never noticed, does the same kind of rep splitting occur when you fight enemies with a group on land?

You know, it might be an easy solution to just make it where you get the same amount of rep regardless of whether or not there's another ship involved.

I've never noticed, does the same kind of rep splitting occur when you fight enemies with a group on land?
Yes and no, the amount of rep you get is based on how many hits you get on the enemy, and naturally if there are other people hitting them then you are going to hit them less and get less rep.

Two understandings about your post:
One: You're WRONG about not the pirate not losing anything from it. They wasted time, energy, effort to get the ship ready for destruction before you sailed in and destroyed it. They missed out on about 100 points of sailing notoriety. They watched someone take away their effort.

Two: You're actually admitting that YOUR WANTS EXCEED the wants of the pirate working on the ship you destroyed. Bottom line: Selfish, Greedy, and obviously from above, Ignorant.

I value others work... I respect their progress. I was hoping that this post would open the eyes of ne'er do wells and check their behavior so that they would curb their behavior. In the three days I've been able to get online... I've hardly been able to level my pirate's sailing levels without someone taking "A CHEAP SHOT" and having to start all over again.

FYI: this kind of behavior was infrequent until Disney opened up Ravens Cove and therefore, looting at the final stretch of their game management. Once kids/adults learned that loot was the motivation, this behavior has become rampant.

My only hope is that TLOPO has enough oceans so that pirates trying to level their sailing can accomplish without interruption. Otherwise... the population of pirates will increase initially... and then drop off once they realize that the game supports that kind of behavior.

Let me just say I have never given this a thought in my time on potco or tlopo, its a pirates game and all pirates want to get their share of loot so I will continue to sink any ship that I want and yes it is selfish but I don't care. I'm a pirate and the number one priority on my mind is getting loot because my sailing is maxed. Also there is one huge flaw in your logic of being respectful and kind, how do you know that the other captain of the ships sailing isn't maxed? I'm not going to just sail by an enemy ship and not sink it because the other guy who attacked it first sailing might not be maxed. You go ahead and continue to miss out on loot and waste more time finding your own ship while ill be getting my sailing runs done in half the time.

Currently, Legends has an issue that adds to this debate.

Perhaps it's just me BUT I often do not see another player's ship until I'm almost on top of it. Enemy ships show up fairly early and I've had it happen more than once where I will open fire only to suddenly have another player ship POP up. They were there the whole time but I didn't see them until I was much closer.

Also, as to the idea of theft, another issue Pirates is having are the ship patterns. The enemies are not only appearing the wrong places but they are grouping up or sailing in numbers not solo. This means that ships are clumping together and it reduces the amount of ocean real estate you can hunt in.

I don't expect to claim ownership of a cluster of ships but I certainly hope others will respect a pirate going after a flagship. So far flagships still sail solo and should be considered first come, first served. If a pirate is engaged against a flagship, i will try and avoid it.

As many of you know, people pirate for different reasons! Some like to loot for rare items, some like to hang with their guild mates chatting about whatever, and some like to work their pirate.

Now that the game has fixed the ships... we all need to understand ONE thing:

It is RUDE beyond bad manners to shoot an enemy ship another captain has damaged. They have worked hard to disable the ship, to remove the sails, to risk damage to their own ship. I'm sure it bothers you to have it done to you and your ship mates when some other pirate comes by with massive damage skills and sinks your ship before you get a chance. Be considerate!!!

You may want the EASY loot... but the pirate removing the sails doesn't want loot. He wants to level up his sailing. I think many just don't understand what they're doing and how it makes you look. In the many, many years with my many, many pirates - I have NEVER intentionally sunk a damaged ship being worked on by another pirate.

Be kind. Be considerate. Do what you like and don't interfere in what they're doing.

THANKS!!!

I agree morally, yes, and I myself have never done it, but in some jerks defense, this is a game about piracy.
:walk the plank:

hehe... ok... I've read many, oh so many posts about justifying behavior... " cuz you're pirates"... and after I stopped laughing at that illogical position... here's the deal:

Welcome to reality.

You're playing a video game. You are NOT a pirate. If you played Disney's Club Penguin, ya weren't a penguin. If you play Grand Auto, Mafia Wars, Farm guano, Sims, whatever.... YOU ARE NOT a penguin, a car thief, a Mafioso, a farmer, etc. etc.

You're a human being playing a game. Morality doesn't go out the door cuz you want the excuse to behave badly. Morality exists in reality and in video games. You choose to behave badly... you choose the consequences.

hehe... ok... I've read many, oh so many posts about justifying behavior... " cuz you're pirates"... and after I stopped laughing at that illogical position... here's the deal:

Welcome to reality.

You're playing a video game. You are NOT a pirate. If you played Disney's Club Penguin, ya weren't a penguin. If you play Grand Auto, Mafia Wars, Farm guano, Sims, whatever.... YOU ARE NOT a penguin, a car thief, a Mafioso, a farmer, etc. etc.

You're a human being playing a game. Morality doesn't go out the door cuz you want the excuse to behave badly. Morality exists in reality and in video games. You choose to behave badly... you choose the consequences.
Dude, give it up. You're exactly right in saying this is a GAME. An mmo, in fact. You need to understand that it's not your decision to decide weather or not someone deserves to shoot "your" ship. Allow other people to play the game the way they want to. If you don't like it, stop playing.

Currently, Legends has an issue that adds to this debate.

Perhaps it's just me BUT I often do not see another player's ship until I'm almost on top of it. Enemy ships show up fairly early and I've had it happen more than once where I will open fire only to suddenly have another player ship POP up. They were there the whole time but I didn't see them until I was much closer.

I have the same issue and have shot at a few that others were working on.

I like having my ships left alone so I can get the xp. I am out there most of the time to level. I have had other pirates sail past a whole fleet of ships and park near me and shoot at the one I'm working on. In this case I think it is fair to say they can't or won't sail on their own and are trying to cash in on my work. I understand it is going to happen though and sometimes I welcome it ( 10 ships in on a quest to sink 20 - I enjoy the speed up ). If you shoot at one I'm working on I will not think twice about returning the favor as you have sent me a "I think this is ok" message. I will avoid it out of courtesy in all other accounts

I would like to point out, that if you pass me, and fire a shot or two to "tag" my ship for loot, and continue on by, that really doesn't bother me. I believe the OP is referring to players who sit and "help" others. And by help, I mean, tailing others, and plopping themselves a comfortable distance of another players target, and shooting it. I have a problem with those things. You want to fire a shot or two on a ship that I have already engaged, that's fine, so long as you keep going along your merry way, but I disagree with people following me around, and mooching off of my work. Yes, I know someone's gonna say "But Les, its a pirate game, that's what pirates do." I really don't think that argument holds much water (no pun intended). They also murdered and beheaded people, but that's not in the game, so I really don't think you can make that argument. It's in bad taste, that's my stance on it

Why exactly is this such a big deal? I really don't care if anyone helps me take down ships, it makes the process a lot faster while not affecting my loot. If you have a problem with other ships helping you I would assume that you also have an issue with people gunning for you.

Back