Discussion Is combining Raven's Cove Quest and Black Pearl Quest really a good idea?

Combine Ravens and Black Pearl?

• Yes

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 95 77.9%

• Total voters
In theory it sounds like a sensible idea given the chronology of the game story, but knowing what doing the Black Pearl quest line from start to finish entails like most people here, it's a really, really bad idea. No offense dev team, as you guys do exceptional work with the game, but the notion it will all be okay simply because the Raven's Cove story will provide a motivator to complete the Black Pearl quest line doesn't add up. I see far more people not bothering to do either or just quitting the game instead, based on my own experience. Forgive me if I sound harsh, but I'm only critical here because I want the game to thrive like everyone else. I'll trust in your judgement, but I don't see how this concept as is works out favorably for anyone.

Last edited:
What if TLOPO made a large incentive to finish the Black Pearl Quest?

What if the reward(s) was so good, everyone would want to complete it?
Then yes im cool with it.

I also wanna point out how everytime I had this opinion and stated it people got mad at me but now people agree with me somewhat <_<

What if TLOPO made a large incentive to finish the Black Pearl Quest?

What if the reward(s) was so good, everyone would want to complete it?
It's still off-putting to new players. It's that first impression of endless grinding FedEx and Collect 50 Badger Spleens missions that's the problem.

It's still off-putting to new players. It's that first impression of endless grinding FedEx and Collect 50 Badger Spleens missions that's the problem.
its like black pearl quest you do it cause it is always there ravens cove quest now that's something you look forward to doing.

Hmmm..

I remember when I first discovered POTCO. I was probably around 7 yrs old--my first incentive in the game WAS to complete the Black Pearl storyline.

Maybe that incentive is outdated; I guess everyone is expecting the unexpected now, for example, Guild Wars 2..

I guess I'm unique in the fact that I want to complete the Black Pearl Quest as an achievement of sorts.

If TLOPO tweaked the rewards :treasure::treasure::treasure: and made them more enticing and/or scaling down the quest itself, I could potentially see people completing the quest for fun!

Wasn't this how it was in POTCO? (Edit: nevermind) Even if it wasn't, there's really no issue. Trust me, there are games that are far more grind-y than this. And the BP quest isn't even horrendously lengthy. I've played games where you have to do at least 10 times the amount of questing as is in the BP to beat the game, or even to get to significantly rewarding checkpoints. And yes, it's all the same repetitive kind of stuff you see in POTCO. Not the end of the world. The incentive for finishing the BP quest, to me, is the boss battle. Aside from that, you afterwards get to move on to the Raven's quest and get cursed blades. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Wasn't this how it was in POTCO? (Edit: nevermind) Even if it wasn't, there's really no issue. Trust me, there are games that are far more grind-y than this. And the BP quest isn't even horrendously lengthy. I've played games where you have to do at least 10 times the amount of questing as is in the BP to beat the game, or even to get to significantly rewarding checkpoints. And yes, it's all the same repetitive kind of stuff you see in POTCO. Not the end of the world. The incentive for finishing the BP quest, to me, is the boss battle. Aside from that, you afterwards get to move on to the Raven's quest and get cursed blades. That's good enough for me.
aka runescape.

BP quest definitely needs a better reward, possibly a new line of loot similar to how the cursed line is unlocked after ravens.

I can understand people not wanting to 'have to' do the Black Pearl in order to get to the Raven's quest. Afterall, we're lazy pirates and who wants to have to do anything? I honestly don't know, but IF this happens to happen, there could possibly a reason behind it that we don't know yet. I don't think that anyone said, "Let's make this as grueling for them as we can". I'm just thinking positive that there may be more to it than we're seeing right now. *shrugs*

Best not to speculate, and let the developers do what they're doing. If they have come this far in developing the game, I think we can trust where it's going. However, the quest on a whole is pretty long and (if) we have to finish it, could we please kill off Giladoga and Mary Lash? Perhaps they can face some unexpected wonderful tragedy.
They don't even help with the final battle, so who really needs them? ;)

I think the simplest and best idea on this thread is to unlock Raven's on a per-account basis and not require players to repeat the full storyline for every character they create.

I say we get the choice! Choice is always better then no choice! Pirates are only pirates so we can be free. Free from all responsibility and law. Thats why we sail the seas, savvy?

The only way I can see the quests being combined is if the Black Pearl Quest was totally reworked to become more like the Ravens Cove quest - short and fun. Forcing players to do such an extremely long and boring quest that they obviously don't want to do (just take a look at the poll) would be an awful idea. I really hope this isn't implemented, and the developers decide to listen to the community on this one...

I can understand people not wanting to 'have to' do the Black Pearl in order to get to the Raven's quest. Afterall, we're lazy pirates and who wants to have to do anything? I honestly don't know, but IF this happens to happen, there could possibly a reason behind it that we don't know yet. I don't think that anyone said, "Let's make this as grueling for them as we can". I'm just thinking positive that there may be more to it than we're seeing right now. *shrugs*

Best not to speculate, and let the developers do what they're doing. If they have come this far in developing the game, I think we can trust where it's going. However, the quest on a whole is pretty long and (if) we have to finish it, could we please kill off Giladoga and Mary Lash? Perhaps they can face some unexpected wonderful tragedy.

This is why I say trust us! You guys can't see everything we can, so of course it may seem bad at first glance, but we've got some awesome stuff planned that will make it worth it. Trust is important! Storyline Developers are good at what they do ;)

I think the simplest and best idea on this thread is to unlock Raven's on a per-account basis and not require players to repeat the full storyline for every character they create.

Good suggestion!

The only way I can see the quests being combined is if the Black Pearl Quest was totally reworked to become more like the Ravens Cove quest - short and fun. Forcing players to do such an extremely long and boring quest that they obviously don't want to do (just take a look at the poll) would be an awful idea. I really hope this isn't implemented, and the developers decide to listen to the community on this one...

Sorry to say, the community does not consist of one thread on the forums, nor one poll on the forums. Just because you think it's an awful idea doesn't mean it is - after all, you're not able to see the full picture just yet, just put some trust in the Storyline and Game developers, yea? ;)

It'll be okay guys, no need to panic and say something's going to be terrible when you haven't even tried it out! Just be patient, and don't assume we're going to ruin your experience. We know what we're doing, it'll be okay :p

However, the quest on a whole is pretty long and (if) we have to finish it, could we please kill off Giladoga and Mary Lash? Perhaps they can face some unexpected wonderful tragedy.
Not Mary! She's like the easiest one! Tradgedies for Gordon Greer and Gunner and Giladoga. The people with G names are too long and tedious anyway. What sad accidents :( ;)

Back