Loot is random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion the loot is not completely random considering a few facts that we know:
- system records the number of kills per player.
- system awards loot based on the ratio mob/player level.
- system adapts and awards loot based on the missing inventory (ammunition, tonics etc.).
- system favour loot to the newer created characters.
There is a RNG but it is affected by certain conditions set in the program based on our characters dynamic interaction within the game environment. Just my 50 cents.

Yes, yes. Basic game mechanics. The game does select a weapon from a list of all possible items that may be looted in that area. The weapon it chooses is random.

I never really read Charles' Guide thoroughly, but if I read it correctly, all it really is persistence. Anyways, I dont get why this is made such a big deal that it is random and that we need the company or even experts to confirm it. I would think we would have figured this out ourselves.

I never really read Charles' Guide thoroughly, but if I read it correctly, all it really is persistence. Anyways, I dont get why this is made such a big deal that it is random and that we need the company or even experts to confirm it. I would think we would have figured this out ourselves.
There is no big deal, we just expressing our opinions within the forum environment. :)
Yes, yes. Basic game mechanics. The game does select a weapon from a list of all possible items that may be looted in that area. The weapon it chooses is random.
I agree with that the specific item choosen is random. The probability to loot a legendary or famed it is different from a player to another at a specific time based on their previous actions hence the reason why everyone gets their own specific loot as well. Example: two players approach the same loot have a different chance to get a legendary based on their previous actions. As I mentioned before within the program there obviously are true/false and if's conditions to be met before certain loot is awarded. Just a basic example: any loot pouch, chests have a certain amount of slots now if the game detects you are in need of tonics, steel shots, viper nests that will take priority and push some other items out that have a lower percentage looting chance like a famed or legendary. These are just my observations which I felt sharing so no disrespect to anyone. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, just getting any misconceptions about any tricks people might think get them better loot out of the way. The only things you can do are persevere and be at the right place at the right time.

I dont think you can really call them "misconceptions". I dont see any misconceptions stated anywhere, what I do see is theories, theories that have been working for others interestingly enough. I dont think we can say just because Disney said loot is random that IT IS random. Im confused as to why you believe these are "misconceptions".

I personally believe it's an RNG ( Random Number Generator ) program that determines loot, roughly based on SOME conditions. I have noticed that when I use items in my inventory ( daggers, steel shot) it magically begins to appear in my loot. I don't think that's an accident. But when it comes to weapons drops I do think it's mostly a random process. I also think that after you complete the raven's cove quests, your chances of getting a legendary are increased if you spend more time on Tormenta and Raven's Cove, as you are eligible for a larger pool of legendary drops than at, say, Darkheart.

As far as those with looting guides, more power to ya!! It's a bit like a baseball player with his lucky socks. If he believes it works for him, then it does. Keep tracking that data Charles!! ((( Charles )))
(((((( COUGAR )))))) My method is posted or other players, however yes I always use it and it is kinda my trump card to looting. :3
As a programmer, being efficient with your coding is imperative. Less lines of code mean less work for you. What is my point, you may ask?

I am fairly certain I know how the developers programmed the overall loot system. Variables do exist, such as different weapons only being able to drop at certain locations. My conjecture is this: they created a random number formula that assigns values to certain items, then randomly distributes these values, implementing them into the loot container. This would save SO much time - imagine how TIME CONSUMING it would be to type out a million different conditional if/else if/else statements. Again, this is just a conjecture; it is not confirmed, but rather an educated guess based on experience.

As opulent as I have been in my looting experience, I can confirm that loot is definitely random. I don't know how you expect me to prove that it is; it just is. Believe what you will - if it works for you, then it works for you. Looting is a bit like religion, in a way. There are many different styles and you can believe what you can, but all revolve around the same general concept. The one concept that they share is that you are going out and killing enemies. That is the only way to get and collect loot. It is just a matter of getting lucky with the computer.

I do not think Lord Darknesz had any animosity towards your guide, Charles. He was simply providing it as an example, and it just so appears that your guide is one of the more prominent ones. No malice was intended.

I will also remind you all to keep this discussion mature and under control, as Kate stated previously. If drama sprouts, you are responsible for your own actions and may be subject to warnings.
Nothing I have done is 100% proven to work. - I say that in the method a lot. However john, I did see it as a insult to me not because he said my method does not work. I respect his point of view. However, posting and I am quoting from the e-mail "(He) just tricking to everyone". He is aimed at me. If he just said "Does this guide work?" or "Is this factual?" Maybe even saying "Is this Guide tricking everyone?" I would be fine. I just felt insulted when he used the word "he" is tricking everyone. Which I would never do to so many people unless I believed the method works 100% which I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my 2 cents: They key to Looting is patience along with a smidge of not wanting the item so bad. its like the theory that a watched pot never boils. Of course we know the pot will boil but we will perceive time moving slower when in fact it is not moving slower just our relation to the time line changes as we shift focus. The same with looting. Eventually after looting for and hour or so a Famed or Legendary may drop. Those of us who don't go after a specific item will perceive the drop rate as fair and balanced, the person going after "sliver" will find the experience grueling and lengthy. Anyway, chew on that for a bit! ~The IronKidd

Here is my 2 cents: They key to Looting is patience along with a smidge of not wanting the item so bad. its like the theory that a watched pot never boils. Of course we know the pot will boil but we will perceive time moving slower when in fact it is not moving slower just our relation to the time line changes as we shift focus. The same with looting. Eventually after looting for and hour or so a Famed or Legendary may drop. Those of us who don't go after a specific item will perceive the drop rate as fair and balanced, the person going after "sliver" will find the experience grueling and lengthy. Anyway, chew on that for a bit! ~The IronKidd

My problem is I expect a famed or legendary out of every skull. No loot catches me by surprise. The day I got thunderspine I decided I was going to get silver too. I went over to foulberto and got silver freeze in 5 minutes.

I used to believe loot is random, but I was curious a few days ago and I was looking through some of the POTCO files. I found in the file "etc" 23 files that can be opened with a simple text editor, (Notepad, Notepad ++, etc). I don't know what they are for, or what they specify. But in the file "Drop Globals" it seems to have every item that could be looted in the game. So I think that the numbers somehow tell how the game distributes the items.

Capture.JPG

If someone can decipher this, by all means do it. I'm curious to see what it says. :D

I realize your frustration with how I may have connoted that particular word. I shall define what the intended meaning of "tricking" is in my post for you. What tricking means is he is informing people via his popular guide that looting works in a way that it does not in actuality. They believe it when it is not necessarily the truth. That would be how it is used in my post. Thanks.
I'm way late on this post, but at least for once this guy made sense eyy mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back