Mature section but without the X-Rating?

I suspect both are possible. Social media accounts are easy to falsify.
Ohh. I get the social media part, but not the in-game part. Yeah people can fake their age on social media accounts and link them on to here. Another game forum that I'm on has a subforum dedicated to the older players. I thought it would be a good idea to suggest it on this forum.

Ohh. I get the social media part, but not the in-game part. Yeah people can fake their age on social media accounts and link them on to here. Another game forum that I'm on has a subforum dedicated to the older players. I thought it would be a good idea to suggest it on this forum.
I don't know how detailed security checks are here so it is my lack of knowledge in this area that contribute to my concern. If the Devs believe that they can make such sections and place them in the game then I know that the staff are in control. :)

I think a lot of those who have commented anew on this have missed the thought process some of us in favor of having an 18+ section would like.

We aren't asking that the younger audience be subjected to swearing or profanity.

We aren't asking it be implemented on TLOPO (as someone who is in favor of this thread, I fully support keeping all emulations at E10+ Language)

We merely wish something that could cater to the older audience, even if it were say a hidden subforum only older members would be able to access.

Myself would be even willing to adhere to stricter rules and moderation after it being a hidden forum to thoroughly protect the younger audience. I'm not sure if everyone else has caught onto that. It isn't necessarily asking for the right to say rough words just because reasons.

In any case, I'm sure this thread should be locked as Davy previously stated the subject at the moment is not under consideration.

I'm sure this thread should be locked as Davy previously stated the subject at the moment is not under consideration.

This is definitely a sensitive topic that should be discussed more if enough of the community gets involved. I think it is important for everyone to feel like they can communicate and maybe a mature section could be used for that, I don't know.

They could always have an age verification when you first sign up to play you put in your age and then in game (after they have an account) there is a server without chat restrictions... but have it so if they try to connect and your age isn't the correct age it doesn't let you (it just says cannot connect if your age is under 18 and does not say why) and if a user is above the age of 18 it automatically bypasses and lets them in the server?

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Especially since, and I'm just guessing here, a lot of us who played the original POTCO were kids or young adults back then, but now 3 years after it closed I guess we're all pretty much adults or close to that, so I see no problem with some more mature themes and conversational topics. I've seen a thread somewhere recently about someone starting a community organized discord channel, and I don't know how active it is, but I guess that could be somewhat of a more matureish audience and have a more lenient policy.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but POTCO was my first MMORPG, and was probably many peoples first MMORPG. At the time we were much younger, and stricter boundaries for language and content were pretty essential :p However, as we have grown in game and out, we have developed into foul-mouthed, swashbuckling, carnal, beasts of the seas, and if there was a place where we could speak with less restrictions, I wouldn't be opposed to that. That being said there isn't really a need for it. It would just be a cool, interesting, little experiment!

I'm a bit shocked that you responded this way. I only say this because some of us on here have said we wouldn't be looking for it to expand onto the emulations, just the site itself. This site isn't just the official forums for TLOPO, either. If it is only the official forums, then perhaps there should be a memo making that clear. This site is for a displaced community. Some of us have stated that all we wish for is some kind of way to cater to the more mature audience that exists in some way, even if it can be found stricter than normal.

In terms of what you said with regard to TLOPO, its precisely why I myself haven't and refuse to support further than a board on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit shocked that you responded this way. I only say this because some of us on here have said we wouldn't be looking for it to expand onto the emulations, just the site itself.
It's been a long time since I looked at this thread beyond the last page (and posts) written and so I mistaken the issue at-hand with what I thought pertained to in-game play, flexibility, and changes.
...This site isn't just the official forums for TLOPO, either. If it is only the official forums, then perhaps there should be a memo making that clear. This site is for a displaced community.
If the consensus is that it isn't "official," when representatives for TLOPO both utilize and say that this forums is their home what exactly about that is unclear possibly to you and/or others?
...Some of us have stated that all we wish for is some kind of way to cater to the more mature audience that exists in some way, even if it can be found stricter than normal.
So if you basically take the examples I give and apply them only to a forums environment, what end-result would actually change? :confused: In my opinion, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference if you're concerned about (possible) outcomes in lieu of such changes.

There is something about the POTCO/TLOPO community that is uniquely enjoyable. I guess it's the nature of the game and the players. In my opinion, I see the language filter integral in this environment. I know some people might want to discuss politics and current events, but that might increase unnecessary tension and negativity between players. And in game, there is so much to talk about already!

The biggest problem I had in POTCO were all the creeps there who would target my kids and others and try to speedchat perversions with them. More than once this happened during the game and was a serious issue for me. I think anyone needing to have a "mature" conversation can do it off the game, like on an IRC channel or whatnot. Just doesn't seem to be relevant to game play in my opinion.

Back