Workaround MEGATHREAD: Infinite loading screen workarounds

Update: I played around 9 hours with no infinite loading screen (with fancy loading screen off) which is a massive improvement as I was getting them about 6 times per hour.
I started having the problem again yesterday evening and I'm not usually online then. It seems the problem starts when Abassa reaches 120+ population as I've had no problems when it's under 100 (when I'm usually on).
So perhaps this is also something to do with the amount of traffic on the servers at that time?
It appears to be a combo of things including server overload, options set and how many players are in the proximity. On my windows, I have fancy turned off on everything, yet I get what I think is the fancy loading, and full sky, but maybe to the low water graphics.

The loading screens show full screen vistas and a aztek looking wheel thing at the bottom which animates. Even balbosa shows up with his monkey. Isn't this the fancy screens? Should 'off ' show just the guy front and back to the left of a ship?

I'm still not convinced that there isn't a ghost item that's causing people to disconnect. I will try this when I get the chance though, thanks.

I've just started using the FPS meter to see if anything changes.
Ma be a dumb question for some but what is the Vsync and sky dome option about? Should I try turning them off too?

Ma be a dumb question for some but what is the Vsync and sky dome option about? Should I try turning them off too?
Luna, vsync I believe is a throw back to earlier times games and analog screen refresh rates, I don't believe it's too much involved in digital graphic cards and lcd screens. I could be wrong. And the sky dome is what I think is the high graphic setting for visible sky globe we can see that has moving clouds and stuff.

I'm still not convinced that there isn't a ghost item that's causing people to disconnect. I will try this when I get the chance though, thanks.
I haven't tried this yet, but start a timer as soon as you start to play and see if the dc is around 2 hours and 59 minutes, which was the old auto dc.
Perhaps there's still coding around that effects some servers or something.

Vsync limits your refresh rate to your monitor's refresh rate. Usually it is not needed, and actually will decrease your preformance. However people who experience screen tearing should keep it on.
Pd5le42.jpg

I haven't tried this yet, but start a timer as soon as you start to play and see if the dc is around 2 hours and 59 minutes, which was the old auto dc.
Perhaps there's still coding around that effects some servers or something.

Would be interesting to try, but it seems more so that this happens while porting from docking. The old disconnect happened regardless of if you're mid-battle or not, at least from my experiences. I've also played for longer than three hours concurrently.

Vsync limits your refresh rate to your monitor's refresh rate. Usually it is not needed, and actually will decrease your preformance. However people who experience screen tearing should keep it on.
Pd5le42.jpg
I have always had Vsync on and I have never had screen tearing. Though I do use my flat screen TV as a month motor via a HDMI cable so I don't know if that would cause any issues. It hasn't with other games so I m assuming it don't need any special option changes.
Im wondering whether my issues are simply because I have a rubbish pc. It has a 4 gig RAM but says in system info there is only 2.4 Gig available.

I downloaded Razer game booster but like with others I've tried in the past it seems to run multiple processes in the background making it use up as much (if not more) RAM than its "saving". Also tried setting TLOPO as priority in Task Manager and that hasn't made a difference either.

Boy this is a fascinating thread :) I really enjoy testing things out and brainstorming with the community :D

I have always had Vsync on and I have never had screen tearing. Though I do use my flat screen TV as a month motor via a HDMI cable so I don't know if that would cause any issues. It hasn't with other games so I m assuming it don't need any special option changes.
Im wondering whether my issues are simply because I have a rubbish pc. It has a 4 gig RAM but says in system info there is only 2.4 Gig available.

I downloaded Razer game booster but like with others I've tried in the past it seems to run multiple processes in the background making it use up as much (if not more) RAM than its "saving". Also tried setting TLOPO as priority in Task Manager and that hasn't made a difference either.

Boy this is a fascinating thread :) I really enjoy testing things out and brainstorming with the community :D
The game just has issues. I have a pretty great PC compared to most. 16gb of ram (though the game can only use about 3.8 at max before crashing), a GTX 1070, and an i5-7600k. I still get infinite loading screens when porting. Pretty much 100% of the time when porting on Tortuga, and less problems with all other islands, Devil's Anvil having never gotten an infinite loading screen. Even with this "fix." I'm pretty sure it just has to do with loading either players or just the islands in general. It's hard to say because Tortuga has both the most players on it AND the most objects to load in in general.

The game just has issues. I have a pretty great PC compared to most. 16gb of ram (though the game can only use about 3.8 at max before crashing), a GTX 1070, and an i5-7600k. I still get infinite loading screens when porting. Pretty much 100% of the time when porting on Tortuga, and less problems with all other islands, Devil's Anvil having never gotten an infinite loading screen. Even with this "fix." I'm pretty sure it just has to do with loading either players or just the islands in general. It's hard to say because Tortuga has both the most players on it AND the most objects to load in in general.

Can confirm, I have 32GB RAM, 2 GTX 980s in an SLI Bridge, I7 6700k, etc etc etc, and I still crash.

I've crashed porting at Devil's Anvil before, but I don't recall the details. I've also docked at Tortuga, with no issues while having been sailing for over an hour. I wasn't paying attention to what server I was on, so if it is due to players, then that could be a possibility. Perhaps different things trigger it for different players, but that seems unlikely.

Pd5le42.jpg
Correct, but isn't a real factor in lcd/led modern panels as they don't refresh technically, as in old raster vernacular that drew lines of resolution back and forth down the pixels. Lcd/led either repaints the whole screen or half the screen at a time based on frames per second, and the marketers instead of going through the trouble of defining it correctly, kept the older label of 'refresh' rates. I believe now the tearing you see has more to do with Mhrz and frames per second between redraws. If someone else already said this, I apologize as I didn't read the whole thread this time.

CRT's which are going the way of floppy discs had all that tearing stuff happening so vsync like you said was a timing treatment in the process of drawing whatever it was trying to draw.

And the paradigm shift from analog to digital was quite intense. But not as bad as the industry said it was going to be. Worse, the marketers of anything media- ex: Smart TV's, dvd players- iphones wanted this all to come together and still are trying to do that but have tremendously muddied the waters for the layman and woman.

It's not our systems or internet connections, it's tlopo. And I say that not in a bad way, it just looks like more work is being done and may need to be done to optimize their server handling of the game. I have always lagged badly as soon as 2 or more pirates show up in my proximity. That's not my end. If tlopo gets this figured out, this game could go far. There's really nothing else like it.

Last edited:

What OS are you running this on? Pre win8 and win7 like XP could only see 4 gigs of memory, and usually hogged a whole 1 gig of ram for itself.
If you have Win8 or win7 or even 10 your system should reconize up to 8 gigs for win 7/8 and well over that for win10.
Did you try turning off vsync? Run the tlopo frame rate thing first, play a few minutes and log off and on about 3 times, record those frame rates, then turn off vsync and play and log off another 3 times. You'll see an average of each setting for a better idea. I think benchmarks should always be run in multiple runs for a better average idea.

Keep us posted if you try any of this.

Alright I literally had about an 80% chance of having an infinite loading screen on porting.
I must've lost easily 80-90 Loot skull chests in my runs because of this.
Only after going into my settings did I realize that Fancy Loading screen was checked.
I Unchecked it and VOILA!
I was able to do the rest of my mat runs (about 9) without a single infinite loading screen!
I was ecstatic!
Just wish I knew what was in all those loot skulls I lost.
Im level 42 with only 2 famed, so I can only imagine.
I tried this and it didn't work at all for me.

So early this morning when I decided to hop on I figured I'd help pass some time while grinding to get copperhead on my ship by hooking up my second monitor so I can have youtube videos playing. Well While playing, every time I swapped over to youtube the game would minimize and eventually I decided to play in windowed mode and just maximize the window to my screen.

I played all throughout the day and it randomly hit me... I haven't crashed in a long time? So while playing I put it to the test. I went on about 6 runs in fullscreen and got the infinite load screen at least 4 times. Then I put back to windowed mode and went through like 10 runs back to back without a single crash.

I've been playing in windowed mode since and aside from the regular "scheduled" Abassa crashes, I havent had a single infinite load screen or random disconnection. I could be getting lucky and that luck turned this method in to a placebo but it really doesn't seem like a coincidence.

I really hope someone can give me some good news that this helps them out as well.

TL;DR - Randomly tried windowed mode and the game stopped crashing when porting.

Back