MEH Curse of the Muerto Moon

Well, I'd like to remind everyone that this is Beta. The game is not perfect (not like it was when Disney was running POTCO) and yes there are bugs and issues with coding. A few people have noticed that they have turned early and stayed a zombie longer than they should have. We've all also noticed that the warnings we get... well the timing is off. But as stated above, the curse turns you at the top of the hour, so best advice is to watch the clock on your computer.

Sitting here catching up on the posts since last night, I noticed someone mentioned that an island for the curse to happen on would go against the story line. I've realized that since we all slept (a lot) since the close of POTCO and definitely since the Curse of the Muertos Moon first started. So, I'm going to do a little digging on the POTCO wiki and get the history of it all.

Now, IF I am remembering this correctly, this all started with a quest event. A quest given to us by Tia Dalma. It lead to something being found on Port Royal, I believe, which then lead to the curse and then to the invasions... So, off to do some research...

Also, as a friendly reminder from the staff, please keep this thread and all threads on topic and refrain from name calling, nit picking and general sourness. This thread, as well as most if not all here, are meant for discussion purposes which should be done in a civilized manner. Voicing our opinions and reporting bugs will always be encouraged. However, rule breaking will not be tolerated. Please keep the flow of this thread on topic. Thanks!

Thank you, and the rest of the staff for your tireless efforts to keep this community going and free of the drama that often besieges many forums of various topics. :) HUZZAH!

I'm going to chime in. For those of us without Beta keys, your gameplay time options all begin at the top of the hour. That means you spawn in just after the event has begun, whether you would like to avoid it or not. My experience today was spawning in, being immediately sent to jail, wasting a little time in there hoping things would simmer down, leaving the jail, taking 2 steps and being sent right back in. So I waited in jail until I got the message the curse was done (15 minute duration, not 5 as has been misstated), exited the jail, only to crash. Logged back to an empty inventory and reset to Note 1. Had to quit and re-enter again. It was 21 minutes after the hour when I finally got back in with restored Note and inventory.

Yeah, yeah, not the end of the world. But when you only have 3 hours to begin with and you waste over a 1/3 of your first hour literally not being able to play, it is frustrating.

Having said that, I do understand that this will soon end (today I hope - I've got tomorrow off and would love to play without the MM curse active), and in the big scheme of things, when we're all playing a game we haven't spent a thin dime on, that's still in Beta, I should be grateful the game is in existence. And I am. But I'll also be glad when Jolly takes a hike.

I'm going to chime in. For those of us without Beta keys, your gameplay time options all begin at the top of the hour. That means you spawn in just after the event has begun, whether you would like to avoid it or not. My experience today was spawning in, being immediately sent to jail, wasting a little time in there hoping things would simmer down, leaving the jail, taking 2 steps and being sent right back in. So I waited in jail until I got the message the curse was done (15 minute duration, not 5 as has been misstated), exited the jail, only to crash. Logged back to an empty inventory and reset to Note 1. Had to quit and re-enter again. It was 21 minutes after the hour when I finally got back in with restored Note and inventory.

Yeah, yeah, not the end of the world. But when you only have 3 hours to begin with and you waste over a 1/3 of your first hour literally not being able to play, it is frustrating.

Having said that, I do understand that this will soon end (today I hope - I've got tomorrow off and would love to play without the MM curse active), and in the big scheme of things, when we're all playing a game we haven't spent a thin dime on, that's still in Beta, I should be grateful the game is in existence. And I am. But I'll also be glad when Jolly takes a hike.

That and this event happens AT THE TOP OF EVERY HOUR on the hour which means that those of us without beta keys end up wasting 45 minutes on this stuff when clearly, we want to be doing other things such as questing, leveling and looking for beta keys of our own. Even if we wanted to participate in the fun, there is still the issue of crippling lag during the event and not to mention the crashes that we all have to endure. Again, NOT A PROBLEM for those of you fortunate enough to have found a beta key, but this is a HUGE issue for those of us whom still have to procure a beta key. I would venture to guess that, on average, about half of our time is spent trying to get a clean login after being kicked off for this reason or that and that would include time spent dinking around with the rigors of this event as well.

That and this event happens AT THE TOP OF EVERY HOUR on the hour which means that those of us without beta keys end up wasting 45 minutes on this stuff when clearly, we want to be doing other things such as questing, leveling and looking for beta keys of our own. Even if we wanted to participate in the fun, there is still the issue of crippling lag during the event and not to mention the crashes that we all have to endure. Again, NOT A PROBLEM for those of you fortunate enough to have found a beta key, but this is a HUGE issue for those of us whom still have to procure a beta key. I would venture to guess that, on average, about half of our time is spent trying to get a clean login after being kicked off for this reason or that and that would include time spent dinking around with the rigors of this event as well.
Funny, I've been searching for a key for the past 5 days, still have not found one, and yet, the past couple of days of this event haven't proved problematic to me. Obviously, you must be doing something wrong.

I'm not saying it is problematic in JUST finding a beta key but it IS problematic to do any dry land quests on any of the inhabited island. The beta key hunting is secondary.

Just one really quick question on the beta keys, can they be found in the loot sacks/treasure chests/loot skull chests that you get from sinking ships??? I always wondered if this was a thing or if I should concentrate my efforts to land based activities to find a key? (just wondering if anyone has an answer to this)

and How would I know it if, in fact, I find one? (Just so I know what to look for in-game)

Funny, I've been searching for a key for the past 5 days, still have not found one, and yet, the past couple of days of this event haven't proved problematic to me. Obviously, you must be doing something wrong.

Well, for some reason unknown atm (to me at least) some people do tend to crash more than others. I think the guess atm is graphics cards. I'm using an older one. Just happen to be using the same computer I used in POTCO before the game closed. But I know many people with higher end/newer graphics cards have problems with multiple crashes during game play. So, I don't think that people are necessarily doing anything wrong themselves per say.

The other lap top that we have here at the house does struggle to play TLOPO, yet we also used it before the end of POTCO so my kids could play POTCO with me. I have to disable Malwarebytes and turn off rain particles and lower the graphic options for TLOPO on that computer. The computer I use is an Alienware laptop and I'm usually good in game, rarely crashing. However, even I'm experiencing the horrible lag issue of late. Which is another reason that I've tried to not log in during the Muertos moon or be on my ship getting the skeleton ships I need during that time.

BTW, I'm still doing my research about the Muertos Moon history. Had to take the oldest to JR High baseball tryouts which interrupted my searching. I'll post what I find soon.

Well, soon the curse will be gone. Some will miss it, others will rejoice.
I tell you what I've noticed though; a spike in ships sailing from Cuba to Tormenta, etc, and a general sailing of ships around the seas when the 5 minute warnings appear.
So it's safe to assume that several savvy players not wishing to partake in the "Hunger Games" have a few decent options for game play.
Enjoy!

Well, soon the curse will be gone. Some will miss it, others will rejoice.
I tell you what I've noticed though; a spike in ships sailing from Cuba to Tormenta, etc, and a general sailing of ships around the seas when the 5 minute warnings appear.
So it's safe to assume that several savvy players not wishing to partake in the "Hunger Games" have a few decent options for game play.
Enjoy!

I have also noticed like a LOT of fishing ships around Padres during hunger games as well... (lol hunger games -- nice comparison there (I wonder if the hunger games were crippled by lag too, come to think of it...))

Ok all I found it!

Now, bear with me here....

There was a quest that lead up to the Invasions, not the Muertos Moon. It was called The Muertos on Port Royal. It was a very short lived quest line because it was used as a story event to lead up to the invasions coming to the game. Here is the link for quest lines where you can find it listed under Misc Fortune Quests: http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Quests . Now that link takes you to the story of the Casa De Muertos guild: http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Casa_de_Muertos .

So, the quest I remember didn't have anything to do with the Muertos Moon itself... other than the fact that moon appears with Jolly on it during the invasions as well.

Here is the story and history of the Muertos Moon event (notice the game not about people reporting being turned in the caves and jungles too!):
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Muertos_Moon .

I LOVE how we have a record of our beloved game!

Anyway, the first even happened around Halloween in 2008! Each year things changed. Either the time schedules or the changes happening randomly.

Hope you all enjoy that bit of info. Oh and btw, any links that are suppose to go to the POTCO website, wont work anymore. Disney took that site down years ago. :(

I have also noticed like a LOT of fishing ships around Padres during hunger games as well... (lol hunger games -- nice comparison there (I wonder if the hunger games were crippled by lag too, come to think of it...))
Yeah, the fishing ships are honestly really strange... but I think they have to do with people spawning them in, and losing connection immediately after they board them.

Yeah, the fishing ships are honestly really strange... but I think they have to do with people spawning them in, and losing connection immediately after they board them.

Unless they just like fishing during the zombie event? This could also be a thing too. I always notice them when I am out in my boat sinking ships during the zombie thing.

Well, for some reason unknown atm (to me at least) some people do tend to crash more than others. I think the guess atm is graphics cards. I'm using an older one. Just happen to be using the same computer I used in POTCO before the game closed. But I know many people with higher end/newer graphics cards have problems with multiple crashes during game play. So, I don't think that people are necessarily doing anything wrong themselves per say.

The other lap top that we have here at the house does struggle to play TLOPO, yet we also used it before the end of POTCO so my kids could play POTCO with me. I have to disable Malwarebytes and turn off rain particles and lower the graphic options for TLOPO on that computer. The computer I use is an Alienware laptop and I'm usually good in game, rarely crashing. However, even I'm experiencing the horrible lag issue of late. Which is another reason that I've tried to not log in during the Muertos moon or be on my ship getting the skeleton ships I need during that time.

BTW, I'm still doing my research about the Muertos Moon history. Had to take the oldest to JR High baseball tryouts which interrupted my searching. I'll post what I find soon.

I don't know about that graphics card theory. I have two computers, a really old laptop with a gts 360m, and my kinda recently built desktop with a gtx 1070. My laptop crashes a *ton* but my desktop rarely crashes without an in game trigger that would crash regardless of system specs. So I guess my experience has been the opposite of what you say yours has been.

I don't know about that graphics card theory. I have two computers, a really old laptop with a gts 360m, and my kinda recently built desktop with a gtx 1070. My laptop crashes a *ton* but my desktop rarely crashes without an in game trigger that would crash regardless of system specs. So I guess my experience has been the opposite of what you say yours has been.

I can see your point, either way, the crashes need to be discovered and fixed! GO TLOPO STAFF GO!!!!

Here is a new one that wasn't in the game previously. I just got sunk by a player ship DURING the event! Wow!

or if it was in the potco game, I never knew it at least.

Last edited:
Ok all I found it!

Now, bear with me here....

There was a quest that lead up to the Invasions, not the Muertos Moon. It was called The Muertos on Port Royal. It was a very short lived quest line because it was used as a story event to lead up to the invasions coming to the game. Here is the link for quest lines where you can find it listed under Misc Fortune Quests: http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Quests . Now that link takes you to the story of the Casa De Muertos guild: http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Casa_de_Muertos .

So, the quest I remember didn't have anything to do with the Muertos Moon itself... other than the fact that moon appears with Jolly on it during the invasions as well.

Here is the story and history of the Muertos Moon event (notice the game not about people reporting being turned in the caves and jungles too!):
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Muertos_Moon .

I LOVE how we have a record of our beloved game!

Anyway, the first even happened around Halloween in 2008! Each year things changed. Either the time schedules or the changes happening randomly.

Hope you all enjoy that bit of info. Oh and btw, any links that are suppose to go to the POTCO website, wont work anymore. Disney took that site down years ago. :(
If you type in "piratesonline.go.com" it will re-direct you to the Disney Interactive Website.

Here is a new one that wasn't in the game previously. I just got sunk by a player ship DURING the event! Wow!

or if it was in the potco game, I never knew it at least.
I think you should make a separate thread for this in the bug reports section lol, that's really odd.

Back