New Queue Login System

At the moment, this particular game is in semi-open beta. The question is not what one does with a game, it's what one does with a beta test.

• a trial of machinery, software, or other products, in the final stages of its development, carried out by a party unconnected with its development.
The purpose of the game right now is to test it, and ensure it makes it to the final product in one piece. Guild events take a back seat to that, and are not our priority - our priority is to recreate the game and get it out of beta, as it always has been.

Hey Johnny,

My reply was initially aimed towards an individual who called out a player for playing the game.

I'm aware of the definition of a beta. The semi-open betas aim is purely related to testing, however users are not restricted nor bound by an NDA to do nothing but test the game. I am aware of the teams priority, as it is the whole communitys priority as well.

As the term testing is loosely defined when it comes to an open or "semi-open" beta (remember that people play for different reasons), playing the game in any way you'd like should not be prohibited. Whether that way is through organizing guild events, levelling up weapons or purely socializing.

You shouldn't overuse the 'testing' point since most people aren't actually testing the game and the critical testing usually occurs during the alpha stage. Sure, playing and sending feedback might be considered as testing - but the primary reason that people dedicate so much time into this game is to just play it.

Since we aren't taking notes with pen and paper, playing the questline from start to end multiple times in different ways and undertaking a plethora of boring and procedural tasks to ensure that the game works as expected under extreme and normal conditions - I do not consider this as proper testing. Casual testing, maybe.

So yeah, people are playing the beta test.

We aren't talking about guild events we are talking about basic quality of life here. If I am doing a material run I have no idea when my crew on board will be disconnecting since now its any random time instead of just by the hour. Queue system is nice in the fact that we dont have to camp out the website for a slot. But we have lost some control in when and what and how.

Was referring to this post, thank you:

My problem is my guild can never schedule a good time for events or meetings now. The time slot system wasn't perfect, but it was easier to schedule important stuff. Now we have no idea when people will be able to get online or how long they'll have when they actually do.

You can be supportive and point out the problems with something at the same time. Ignoring the problems exist is not beneficial to fixing them.

To which I'd like to point out, I was referring to post such as this:

Perhaps they'll do it when they realize this system is trash.

Oh yeah, posts like that just insulting and not pointing out actual flaws need to go lol. The developer team is here to learn the problems and take care of them, just screeching "ITS GARBO MATE" isn't going to help them know how to improve it.

You can be supportive and point out the problems with something at the same time. Ignoring the problems exist is not beneficial to fixing them.

There are countless posts about the same thing, I think it was way before now when everyone got it.
Happiness is not the absence of problems, it's the ability to deal with them.

NICE!!! Congrats Dev Team

Attachments

• screenshot_2017-06-28_16-00-45.jpg
    screenshot_2017-06-28_16-00-45.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 98
I thought about it for a while and I think the devs should make regional servers like in larger MMOs where people connect to the server in their region. This will improve the overall problem people have with queues or reserving a playtime.

Hey Johnny,

My reply was initially aimed towards an individual who called out a player for playing the game.

I'm aware of the definition of a beta. The semi-open betas aim is purely related to testing, however users are not restricted nor bound by an NDA to do nothing but test the game. I am aware of the teams priority, as it is the whole communitys priority as well.

As the term testing is loosely defined when it comes to an open or "semi-open" beta (remember that people play for different reasons), playing the game in any way you'd like should not be prohibited. Whether that way is through organizing guild events, levelling up weapons or purely socializing.

You shouldn't overuse the 'testing' point since most people aren't actually testing the game and the critical testing usually occurs during the alpha stage. Sure, playing and sending feedback might be considered as testing - but the primary reason that people dedicate so much time into this game is to just play it.

Since we aren't taking notes with pen and paper, playing the questline from start to end multiple times in different ways and undertaking a plethora of boring and procedural tasks to ensure that the game works as expected under extreme and normal conditions - I do not consider this as proper testing. Casual testing, maybe.

Hey there Darkslinger!

however users are not restricted nor bound by an NDA to do nothing but test the game.

Just a note, but an NDA would not apply to a semi-open beta, nor would it mean you only test. An NDA is something that says you will not reveal what you test to anyone, and keep everything you see behind closed doors. For more reading on what an NDA is: https://www.rocketlawyer.com/form/non-disclosure-agreement.rl#/

As the term testing is loosely defined when it comes to an open or "semi-open" beta (remember that people play for different reasons), playing the game in any way you'd like should not be prohibited.

It is not loosely defined, we have defined it pretty clearly through the timeline of the game. Testing means that, while you can play the game, you should expect crashes, rollbacks, loss of inventory, or any other kind of bug - as the purpose of a beta is to stabilize and finish a game.

We do not prohibit you from playing how you want, unless how you play violates our Terms of Service. I am saying that if the way you play is temporarily interrupted while we test something, it should not be unexpected, as we've made may disclaimers about the nature of beta and will attempt to fix anything that breaks as quickly as we can.

We are not overusing it. The game is literally in a semi-open beta, a testing stage, that is the whole point of it and that will not change. If you wish to only play the game and not submit feedback whatsoever, then you should be aware this delays us fixing it in a timely manner. We can't fix what we don't know about.

The same can be said of just insulting a new system instead of providing helpful feedback. It does not help.

That is not how betas generally function, you're thinking of the job of a QA Tester in software/hardware development. If you play the betas for most any other game, they are similar to this, but players are made very aware that the purpose is to test... just as they are here. We did not say don't play the game, we are saying play to test it so it can be finished quicker.

Guild events are not a feature we develop, it's not something we can receive a bug report about and fix nor does it really help test the game. So, while you're certainly able to do guild events, they will take a back seat in favour of fixing the game.

The queue system allows more people online, which means more chances for a bug report. I only see this as a useful and extremely useful thing.

Yes, you are playing a beta to test it.

Those arguing my point are not understanding that my statement isn't
None taken. I'm aware of that. I was just trying to give constructive feedback. :)
No worries, Johnny really summed up what I did not have the time to write. Check out his posts. :)

Chris

Might as well make an update to my previous controversial posts...

... A week literally went by and my optimistic expectations about the new system have exceeded :)
I was able to get in today, same hour as last week, within 10 minutes. Being able to login immediately during the nightly hours is such a huge bonus too.

Ty devs. Sorry being so inpatient and ignorant pirate ^^

Update: After this system has been out for a while, it seems like it has improved. Queues are generally shorter now, it doesn't cause as much crashing, and it really does seem to allow for increased playtime. Maybe it really is better than playtimes, ha. The main issue I still have is that I wish you could just cancel your playtime early and just go back into queue so you can do things like mat runs without worrying sooner.

I gives kudos to T.C.O.T.B.P. for single handed created what was thought impossible. To Rear Admiral Wass, I'm humbly honor in enjoying the arisen of The Black Pearl. Those Developer to which I have not seen, I rise my shot of Wray & Nephew Rum. I'm honor to sever as a beta tester again for Sparrow Pearl.
P.S. T.C.O.T.B.P. means The Crew of The Black Pearl.

Last edited:
Back