Pirates Online Closing 8/20/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be crazy or whatever but... I had a dream last night. I think it was a premonition. Basically, my dog died out of know where! and then it slowly came back to life somehow. This might be a coincidence or not, but what if that is kind of like Potco?

My dog (potco) died out of know where (like potco, today suddenly). Then it took awhile for him to heal up. Then he was better then ever at the end. Maybe this might be a sign (or I am insanely crazy lol) potco is dead now. But what about later? potc5 is coming out.. It might come back then idk.

My thoughts :(

Well this is odd. Apparently Disney as of late really wanted to target the teenage male demographic, thus acquiring Lucasfilm and Marvel but yet they close POTCO. I don't really blame them since it quite obviously wasn't making money, but you would think keeping one of their more prevalent movie lines active during years in between films would hold value to them. Guess not. Watch out, here comes Planes Online I bet.

By the way Blade send me a PM if you read this.

I was looking at YouTube today. I saw a video. I kept my old PiratesOnlinePlayer YouTube account because I was subscribed to so many people. Of course, there were still active POTCO YouTubers. It said "Pirates Online Closing". I knew once I saw that video I must log on to the forums to write this message and give a farewell to all of you. Also, I knew I must log on to the game and record 3 ( I think? I didn't play for the first year and I quit a year ago ) years of progress on Pirates Online. I'm about to do this. You all are awesome. I suggest all POTCO sites such as this should not close down so the community can still contact each other and remember POTCO. Also, after I quit I moved onto Minecraft. As some of you may know, I love to PvP. The PvP on there is great and there are many types of it (though it is DEFINITELY not the only thing you can do), so I know it might be a little insensitive but I would suggest to move on to Minecraft. It's a truly great game. Anyway, thank you all for the memories you've given me.

Farewell and Let You All Fare Well Through Life,
Lord Drake

Please excuse my use of an expletive, but what the hell? I am extremely disappointed in Disney/DIMG. This proves to me once and for all that they don't care about the players of POTCO. If they did, they would take some time (and yes, money) and try to fix what they broke by not paying attention to the needs of the game in the first place.

POTCO was my first MMO, and I will greatly miss this game. I think this by far is the greatest mistake Disney has ever made. I am, however, glad for all of the friends I have made along the way, and for the Pirates Forums, which I hope will continue to flourish in the face of this adversity. Even though I unofficially had stopped playing the game, I will definitely be going online to enjoy the last month of POTCO.

In closing, it's been a lot of fun, fellow pirates, and I will miss the great memories of this great game.

Even though I've seen this coming for a while, it's still a surprise. I always had some hope that they would either do another update someday or just leave the game be and let us continue to play. As far as POTCO not making money, I don't feel like they gave the game much of a chance the last couple years. I've always felt if they had game cards available everywhere like Club Penguin does (you see them all over the place) there would've been a much greater chance of getting new customers, and easier for a lot of existing customers to get unlimited membership. It's just sad the way they've turned their back on us, so many of us have been very loyal even though there had been no updates etc. for a very long time.

Personally, I was so close to having looted every single legendary and famed weapon, and bright clothes in existence. It was a goal that I now feel has been a waste of time, but I loved this game and am thankful to have played it for so long. I've been playing since March of 2008 and have seen a lot of good friends come and go, mates I will never forget. I really respect mates like myself that have stuck with it. I have so many great memories, it's going to be tough to let this game go even though it has frustrated me a lot recently. Guess it's just finally time for me to move on.

~ Davy Redfoote ~

Overall leaderboards: top 20 enemies defeated, top 30 ships sunk, top 60 blackjack hands won

I suppose I should have seen this coming but..... I'm speechless. There goes 5 years of my life and AT LEAST $500 in UA payments.

I don't see why Disney/DIMG is so afraid to keep the game running. Sure it will mean -Gasp- work and, God forbid spending some money, but this is still worth it in the long run, especially with POTC5 coming out.

Now I guess all that's left to do is make this last month the best time we've ever had in POTCO, make our last farewells, and find another game to move to.

I might move to RIFT and get a membership there, since I won't have to pay for POTCO anymore.

Let's look at it this way:

We are all veteran pirates, who have sailed with Jack Sparrow and the crew of the Black Pearl (not literally, but you get the meaning), battled the forces of the EITC, Navy, and Jolly Roger sometimes single-handedly and sometimes as a legion of swashbucklers and marauders, and made hundreds of new friends while we were at it. At least we are the group of people lucky enough to be able to say that, as well as experience the thrill that is hanging out on POTCO with our guildies and looting peeps.

If everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE from POTCO moves to a new game, and creates a new guild, why not call it something like the POTCO Legion, in honor of our unfortunately fallen game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back