Pirates Online Closing 8/20/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a little research to check out reasons for killing potco and other Disney "worlds". From an article in USA Today earlier this month:

"Disney's interactive entertainment unit continues to struggle. Revenue during the quarter fell 7% and the group posted a loss of $58 million. The lack of new video game hardware until later this year is a depressant on the industry."

That is a projected loss of well over 200 million for the year. Although the loss includes all video games and not just potco, (some of the loss is even development of infinity) it would take a lot of pirates to make Disney Interactive come close to breaking even. With only 5000 playing daily including the basic access players, our community was just too small to make it in the corporate world.

Maybe if they threw in frequent updates, or at least a sign that we hadn't been neglected, more pirates would have been online daily.....

What was the point in giving us new weapons a few days ago just to throw in the stupidish announcement that they are closing the game down

I think the only reason they released Desert Claw and Viper's Kiss were to say, "Well, we WERE kinda working on a new scimitar sword class, but since we're closing down, here's what we made so far. We'll jack up the stats on Viper's Kiss just to distract you players from the fact that the game is closing, so that you won't protest and spam our customer services with emails and phone calls and everything."

Well... I know that I will never support any of Disney's games, movies, or anything ever again in the future... And I know it won't help, but I'm probably gonna call them up soon and give them a "rough time" to say the least... Almost 6 years of hard work, hundreds of dollars, and a large chunk of my childhood... right down the drain... Love you too Disney <3

Good, don't support them. After closing these games, they've shown their true colors. Club Penguin isn't a better game, it's just making more money. So what do they do? They close these games to make CP even more profitable because they don't care about the customer in the end... they only care about the money. I say we boycott them.

I think they knew exactly when they were closing it when they stopped selling game cards.

Agreed. The decision was likely made long ago. Initially Infinity was to be launched in the spring to hit all the kids getting out of school but was pushed back. In hindsight, POTCO was probably slated to close several months ago but was spared because of the infinity delay.

Agreed. The decision was likely made long ago. Initially Infinity was to be launched in the spring to hit all the kids getting out of school but was pushed back. In hindsight, POTCO was probably slated to close several months ago but was spared because of the infinity delay.

That's probably why we got probably Heart of Padres.

Anyone here getting Infinity? Anyone that was going to get it but now will not because of this?

No infinity for me. Beyond the fact that I am still upset with Disney, Infinity is a very different product. Basically Infinity is an old fashioned video game that can interact online. You buy the game like old video games and play on your game system with these character toys that get plugged into the system. The game is meant for 1-4 players and takes much more money up front.

With Pirates, you can play for a while for free to learn the game and decide if you want it.

With infinity, you will easily spend $75+ up front even if you use the game for just one day. Infinity also has several ways to get more cash like purchasing additional figures (required if you want to play 2 or more players in the same world together) and purchasing extra worlds. The characters are also toys that can be broken which requires more cost to replace. "Power ups" are an additional cost for each character as well.

No thanks. There are so many other good regular video games out there.

this is what I found out about view counts about pirates online

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-21-17-16-44.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-21-17-16-44.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 88
this is what I found out about view counts about pirates online

Thanks for the information. Clearly this shows the club penguin is far more popular world wide than pirates and why Disney would keep club penguin over Pirates. Sad but the executives look a the numbers and the numbers were not in our favor.

Thanks for the information. Clearly this shows the club penguin is far more popular world wide than pirates and why Disney would keep club penguin over Pirates. Sad but the executives look a the numbers and the numbers were not in our favor.
How is CP appealing anyway? THEIR PENGUINS! Who thought of that idea? It's Disney's most popular MMO today so it's adding to Disney's stupid decisions today.

How is CP appealing anyway? THEIR PENGUINS! Who thought of that idea? It's Disney's most popular MMO today so it's adding to Disney's stupid decisions today.

Sigh, idk. My only guess is that they are targeting that 5-12 age group which matches their main tv network. Most potco players are a little older than the CP players and include lots of adults. Potco was a different demographic that is less important. It does make some sense though. There are few new video games that target the very young and Disney dominates that market. Other companies like EA dominate the teenager and older video game markets.

I don't think an any way Disney expects the average Pirate to move over to CP.

Lets just start off by saying the email i sent to disney about my hacked account the response is complete bull Heres what it says
Hello,

After reviewing your account, I see it has been terminated for not following the Pirates Online Rules.

We are available toll free at 1-888-507-9507, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30am – 12:30pm Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Krista
Pirates Online

How did we do? Please take the short survey below to give us feedback about your experience with our support team.

https://www.disneysurvey.com/wix/p11263340.aspx

If you require further assistance, please respond to this email. We will include the survey link in every reply so that you can take the survey whenever you like.
<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>
ORIGINAL MESSAGE - do not edit below this line

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>
> From: ********* > Date: Aug 16, 2013 - 09:37 AM> To: *********>
> Email Address: **********
>
> From Name:
>
> Detected Id: notloggedin
>
> Account Id: andonpeterson1369
>
> Feedback from Pirates of the Caribbean Online : Ok so ill start off saying my password wont work, and neither is my email password to recover, the email i will send u is my alt email if my main email doesn't work.. here's the story, my main pirate, Sparkee is founder of the guild Dark Place. this morning i tried logging on to see my friends again and bam password doesn't work. here's info to prove
>
> Original password:semmes
> New password i made a month ago:phoenix
> dob (classified)
> and i'm quite sad i cant play again (wanting db french assassin)
> um whats next
>
> name of acct creation: monkayys
> if this is kelly u helped my find my old account back from 2008, thanks so much if there's any other info i need
I feel no need to cross out any info to the account, since my account is inaccessible for the rest of my life

Anyone here getting Infinity? Anyone that was going to get it but now will not because of this?
You can't play with anyone on-line. However, if you know a person's Disney Display Name, you can ask them to be a friend, and then you can 'chat' with them on the game. However, you cannot play with them.

What is the point?

To answer your question, heck no!!! I will not be getting this game.

Sigh, idk. My only guess is that they are targeting that 5-12 age group which matches their main tv network. Most potco players are a little older than the CP players and include lots of adults. Potco was a different demographic that is less important. It does make some sense though. There are few new video games that target the very young and Disney dominates that market. Other companies like EA dominate the teenager and older video game markets.

I don't think an any way Disney expects the average Pirate to move over to CP.
EA and 2k split the fans now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back