Please Be Careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Del

Pirate
Ahoy pirates,

Very recently it seems that the hacking that has been going on in the Caribbean has reached a new level; a very small group of pirates has gained the ability to steal a pirate's account information simply by being in contact with your pirate.

These pirates are using scanner hackers which allow them to tap in to the information of your pirate, which then allows them to see any information ranging from your pirates D-name right down to your password and account name.

Currently there are a few pirates in particular who are targeting a certain guild in these waters, and using the scanner to take pirates from that guild and then place them in to theirs - while wiping clean that pirates' inventory. There is no clear reason as to why these pirates have targeted that specific guild.

I implore that all pirates keep a low profile over the next few days - this means, do not go to servers that are normally crowded, as this is where much of the trouble has been stirring over the past few weeks.

I am withholding specific information on names of the pirates and guilds involved so to not stir controversy - however, if I have permission from the moderators/administrators, I would be more than glad to provide them.

Please stay safe.

~ Del

Being in contact in what way? Friends list? Whispers? If this is true Disney must address this.

Its clear at the moment that anything as much as standing in his view is enough to allow him to hack in to your pirate. Friends List and whispering only make it more convenient for him.

I've come in contact with one. He almost stole my main account, consisting of the pirates you can view on my profile. Click here for the thread.

They are not to be handled lightly.

If you see someone who you assume or know is a hacker log off and come back on a different server also be sure to ignore them. The longer you stay and chat with them then that's just giving them more time to collect information.

Here we go again!

Please stop this! This type of activity will destroy this game. Please do not bully people in this game please!

As a father it is bad enough to guide your kids through real bullying in the real world, but now I have to do it on a Disney game. Come on now please stop this. Please stop this!

Wow... Ok so the other day, I was looting on Blackbeard, and a pirate in my guild, John Scurvyrage, a close friend, called an open tp for Foulberto Smasho on a quiet server with a couple of friends. So me and Eric Bluehawk, had teleported to him. So I'd been there for about 5 or so minutes, when I notice a member of Ocean's Cult had shown up where we were. His name was Bomber a lvl 44 ( I had later learned that that pirate had been hacked) and so Bomber whispers to me:
" Why hello there Blackbeard. "
" It's me Leon. "
So I left the cave immediately to avoid any future trouble. After I had left I announced to my guild that Bomber was Leon and to leave the Cave of the Lost Souls immediately, Eric had said to me:
"LOL BB"
"Bomber is my friend"
So after he had said that, I went to Cuba out of pure boredom to make some potions with Jim Hexskull and my other friend Nate Swordmenace. And after I had my encounter with Bomber, Eric random tp's to me. So I whisper to Eric:
"Eric please ask to tp next time, it's a guild rule."
Then Eric whispered to me:
"Hello again, Blackbeard, it's me Leon."
And for half an hour, him and I talked, and he bashed me with insults constantly saying things such as:
"My daddy could buy you."
"I only steal accounts out of pure entertainment"
"Blackbeard, do me a favor and tell everyone, that I'm back and gonna be stealing more accounts then ever."
After he had left he had put Eric in Ocean's Cult.
And earlier today Leon had stolen John Scurvyrage. He had deleted everything in John's inventory and put John in Ocean's Cult. I'm honestly sick of this and hate seeing this game fall apart. I agree with Del, please keep a low profile until things calm down. One of Leon's main targets is Emerald Regiment, and earlier today also, the GM of Emerald Regiment, Blade, had confronted Leon while he was on Eric and John, and Leon insulted him for awhile until he had left.
Ocean's Cult is known for hacking and the GM has quite an attitude and is sabotaging the minds of the members in their by making them hack and glitch. Please just avoid them. They like spending there time on Abassa tricking people into sharing info. If this offends anyone on this Forum that belongs to Ocean's Cult, I'm sorry but, I really care that people's accounts stay safe.

This is just morally wrong but I guess good morals are hard to be found in some. These people need to be stopped and something must be done to prevent it from happening on the future or at least make it supper difficult where only "professional" hackers (like anonymous) who would not really care about games, could hack... this can be the result of only Disney's action to make POTCO better...

I must say however. The only one who is more irresponsible than the hackers is Disney. This hacking did not just start now. I remember seeing threads long time ago about account hacking... not too long ago there were game hacks... now this is really just combined and is getting even more out of control. If the bugs and lag were not enough. Now were not even ensured of our own security while we are paying for Disney's service. That's just horrible customer service and support though I guess this is all known by most who have been playing POTCO for a while now since progress has never been POTCO's thing...

Its clear at the moment that anything as much as standing in his view is enough to allow him to hack in to your pirate. Friends List and whispering only make it more convenient for him.

For you all who are computer-savvy, please enlighten me how standing by the view of the pirate hacker is enough to draw information about others' accounts? Whispering or befriending him/her which causes the hacker to know the D-name kind of make sense to me, but Idk how a hacker could access others' info without ever get in contact with them, sending them a hacking virus link or without the other pirates voluntarily disclose their info to the hackers?

Btw, thank you all who have warned us about this.

For you all who are computer-savvy, please enlighten me how standing by the view of the pirate hacker is enough to draw information about others' accounts?
Not much to say about it, the hacking tools probably enable a hacker to view things like account and avatar IDs just by interacting with a pirate in any way. When a pirate enters your vicinity, you just see the name and character on the screen but a lot is happening behind the scenes. Your avatar name, account access level, and likely account and avatar IDs are sent across the network to make the game work. The hacker likely is able to view this information.

Total disaster ... User ID can be shown in there, but Password ... We were informed to change password periodically, make it very unique and make it different every time, along with different password for every account we have online, no matter what account that is (if all possible to remember or to write down somewhere). If even Password would show up on the network to make the game work, when what good is it to have to change/make a unique one? That would be the end of all privacy we have, if we could not count on our password to at least do something from our side to barricade ourselves?

undefined Total disaster ... User ID can be shown in there, but Password ... We were informed to change password periodically, make it very unique and make it different every time, along with different password for every account we have online, no matter what account that is (if all possible to remember or to write down somewhere). If even Password would show up on the network to make the game work, when what good is it to have to change/make a unique one? That would be the end of all privacy we have, if we could not count on our password to at least do something from our side to barricade ourselves?
Passwords would definitely not be sent across the network, not to mention it's probably hashed. Hard to explain what that means but basically it wouldn't be sent in plain text anyways, it'd be sent in a special format that humans can't understand or decode.

Passwords would definitely not be sent across the network, not to mention it's probably hashed. Hard to explain what that means but basically it wouldn't be sent in plain text anyways, it'd be sent in a special format that humans can't understand or decode.

Ahh, THANK YOU for the clarification ... That makes a HUGE difference in understanding how to protect ourselves, with a small step that we all can handle within our power. There, everyone ... a great tip to do your part to protect your account. Your password is probably one little piece of most important info that you can control to protect yourself.

P.S.: Could we put 1,000,000 likes on Davy's answer please? :)

Hacking is actually a lot easier than people realize. First off there are programs that will do the work for you and if your offline your actually more vulnerable.

Hackers break into the system and steal the encrypted password file or eavesdrop on an encrypted exchange off the internet. Once they do that they're pretty much free to decrypt. With the system they are now able to run it and it can guess passwords at a rate of 1 billion guesses a second.

The reason people have long passwords is because there not as easy to hack.

Here's the time it takes this system to hack your password with numbers and letter
  • 5 characters=10 seconds
  • 6 characters = 1,000 seconds
  • 7 characters = 1 day
  • 8 characters = 115 days
There are also the password guessers which are just random people who found out someones username and then just took a random shot in the dark and got lucky. Never make your password something obvious like password which unfortunately a lot of people are dumb enough to choose as their password. Also it's smarter to not have it include any of your personal info like b-day, name, or ss number which other than ss number are very easy to find. Also no catch phrases, guild names, or the name of something you do constantly.​
I can't remember the name but there's actually a website which has all your information including your family's information as well. This info ranges from addresses, numbers, and even your credit score. And idk why but somehow it's legal. You can go to the site and request all your information be hidden and if I could remember the name I would post the link for all to hide their information.​

From what I understand, the hackers can easily hack anyone. You just need to be in contact with them, and zip, there goes your account. Seriously, everyone should call Disney right now and tell them to move their lazy butts and protect everyone or the game will die a fiery death.

Through social media "updates" sent to my email, I had read about this earlier this morning & it was suggested for pirates to do their best on the game to stay away from "busy" servers & oceans.

For what it's worth, I just wanted to pass this (little bit) of information along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back