POTCO... Whats Disney been up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEO

Site Founder
It's been a while since I've posted my own thread especially about the game and the issues players face almost every time they play. So here I go with another attempt which hopefully you mates may support and take it to Mickeys ears so that they may do something.

I will start this with the thing you are most familiar with.

Content:
Here is POTCO's last release note on April 11th
Updates:
  • Five brand new sail emblems created by your fellow Pirates are now available at the Shipwrights!
  • General maintenance performed on holidays, including fixes for holiday messaging and clothing items.
Known Issue:
  • Skeletons may sometimes fall through the terrain during Invasions.
  • Bonuses from Sea Charms and Navigational Charts are not being applied correctly.
I am not sure if that even counts as content. They added 5 new player made emblems (which could have been a lot better choices). Lets suppose this counts though. We are in the last couple weeks of June. If this content counts, it's been more than 2 months and a half with no sign of anything being added to the game in the near future. If you are like me and don't count this, meaning the last real content came on March 22 when ship customization, its been 3 full months. About a year ago, Scoundrel of the seas was added (June 28th). After "Scoundrel of the seas", the only major content DIMG has added to the game has been ship customization(December) and an expansion to it(March). So in about 12 months, We have gotten ONLY one thing and that is Ship customization with upgrades to level 6 and the Brig which was a good addition to the game but very overdue considering it was 4 years after the promise was made. I don't know in what way you have to read this to not see the picture I am trying to create.

It is summer and this is the season that games usually do get most populated since kids especially are out of school. But little should that matter since this is a game in which those who pay to play expect to see new content added regularly. Test server has also shown no sign of new content since the 5 emblems added. So what is Disney's DIMG up to?

Those statistics by the way are Directly from the Release notes which Disney provides us.
http://piratesonline.go.com/#/news/releasenotes.html

The second thing or rather things are the many issues players face in POTCO.
Bugs and other issues:

Take a look at the last release notes above which I quoted think about what you see. It mentions adding content and doing a maintenance. What I find interesting and pathetic if you look at it from a technical point of view is that they ended with two known issues. I've given up on invasions after doing them so many times a long time ago but I am certain neither of them ever got fixed. The sea charts, I am certain that their boosts do not work other than navigation which makes skills recharge faster. This has been broken since they were added to the game in 2009. It took them about 2 years to put it in the release notes and here we are almost 3 months later and still nothing.

I have never complained much about these problems but had to state their own fallacies. The bigger issues are still in the game which include very old problems such as Swift Foot glitch, Leadership messing up skills, Boarding permission,hunters/warships getting stuck in the sea after player ports, etc.

Rather than talk about this, Just take a look at this video which I made almost a year ago. Keep in mind that the issues mentioned on the video were not new.
For more, check the description of the video on Youtube. Some new issues include:
  • After a player reaches scoundrel, does what he/she does and then ports, the ships following end up sometimes getting stuck. This creates more server lag as it has to carry the extra weight.
  • I've mentioned this before, and you can try timing it yourself with and without it. If by any chance your work, call me over your ship and hopefully prove me wrong. None of the rigging upgrades have any effect on ships.
  • The recent hacking. I don't think I have to explain this. Just take a look at other thread on the forum even videos on youtube. Whether it's game hacking or account hacking, it doesn't matter. It's still Disney's job to handle this issue.
Lag:
As far as lag goes, this is something that has always existed in POTCO but as years have gone by, it has gotten worse. As many of you may know, I play svs a lot. That is perhaps the first out of two reasons(seconds being friends) that I still pay and play this game. Andaba happens to be the seconds server so it is the unofficial SvS server since Abassa cannot handle everything. That means I like to play with other players and interact like MMO games are meant to be played. In the last couple of months, I have been getting tired of the massive Lag in andaba now being followed by very bad delays upon acting. I sent bug reports, and they in return have told me to move to a quiet server. That is one of the most annoying and unhelpful tip someone can give you in a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER GAME because first, I want to play the game with other players and second, it is a multiplayer game, and third I want to play it how I enjoy playing with the stuff Disney offered us to play with. They also attempted to blame my graphics card and followed it by telling me to change some stuff in the game options which resulted in even worse game play. In all these bug reports, all the replies were very unhelpful to solve any issue as they never take responsibility in the issues that exist within the game.

This is mostly in Disney’s hands to fix as it is they who control the servers and the software which makes the game available. I could bet that everyone who plays or who has played the game for more than a couple of months has faced lag at some point. I have hosted some SvS events and have attended some others such as Del’s events or others. I know for sure that everyone in those events had some lag due to there being a big crowd. This means that in most cases it’s the weak servers and the limited software of POTCO that create this issue. At least in most cases but I am certain in this because most players do have a good enough computer and a fast enough internet for the game to work without ANY problem since it does not require much to work. One simple fix to this is having regular maintenances or server restarts/resets like once a week or maybe once every three days if they want to be really nice. Though temporary, this always seems to ease things up in the game so if repeated, lag would be at minimum in POTCO’s standards. But even this suggestion they seem to be ignoring as POTCO gets maintenances like every 2 months or only when there is something added. So what is Disney’s DIMG up to?

This last thing, I am going to keep short. That is customer service.
The only thing POTCO’s customer service seems to be good is account management and billing support. As far as game issues such as ones mentioned above, they will either say something to assure you that they are working on which in reality never has a positive result, or they will give us a tip or blame our computers. Now, it’s even worse since they took live chat away. So from 3 options, only one is available in the open with calls being invincible on the site.
==================================================================
I have noticed when I made the video that some blamed my computer or my internet. First of all, IDK how bugs can be a computers fault. As for lag, the computer plays a role to some extent but this is POTCO which requires the technology of a smartphone to run. So here are my PC information:
speed test.pngping test.png my pc.png

Here are three consecutive latency tests in Andaba. Latency also is part of lag or something like that.(Search up game latency)
screenshot_2012-06-20_17-31-07.jpgscreenshot_2012-06-20_17-31-01.jpgscreenshot_2012-06-20_17-30-47.jpg
======================================================
I am posting this thread hoping that all who read this do send contact Disney about the lack of content, bugs, lag, and all the issues the game faces. I see this game as "endangered" at the moment. Recently DIMG has put more work to their mobile game than POTCO. If you do contact Disney, hopefully they will realize to some extent the importance of POTCO and hopefully wake up and go to work.

I agree with you 100% here, Leo. Game quality has gone down the drain since I joined back in 2008.

On a defensive side however, the developer team has gotten smaller and thus, not able to produce content as fast.

Their lead developer - who's name escapes my memory - left to go to SWTOR. He played Captain Walter, and of course the dev team obviously tries to cover it up like nothing happened with some lore. I am then positive that everything took a nose-dive from there, like a domino effect.

With this lack of content comes a lack of funding and money flow to actually pay the developers to do some work. Therefore, this sudden drop in quality is self inflicted. You would assume they would try to do something about this, but nope - they just keep downgrading and dismantling themselves from the inside out.

On the customer support and GM side to this, let me just say that the Pirates team doesn't even hold a candle up to the other top notch games out there. Take Rift - it's another game I play on a daily basis - Kat Five Knives knows what I'm talking about. I know I'm getting a bit off topic here, but their team actually interacts with the users - today we attended a test release of some new content on their test server. The GMs would actually come in game and take feedback and ideas from the players, and help us test it out. They also have record timing on handling issues the players might have - if you send in a ticket for a problem, a GM will be right with you in a few moments.
What does the Pirates team do compared to this? Come out for a few hours for an event? That's nothing. I will say this again - they are only dismantling themselves from the inside out.

I hate to say it, but honestly I think this game will last only another year, perhaps two if lucky. I'd hate to see this game go... I really do. But if they continue at their slow pace and terrible support, they will never get anywhere.

I only wish that the POTCO team would take the advice of so many great ideas a lot of people have shared here on the forums (after all, it isn't like they don't know of the forum's existence)! This is a great post and I fully agree with you. I love this game and the whole concept so much. If they would only update things, it would remain my favorite.
Look at other Disney games. Club Penguin is more successful- and it's just a creative world filled with penguins who wear fashionable clothing! POTCO has huge potential- especially because it doesn't just cater to one small age group range- it is for children, teens, and adults! It saddens me to think of this game coming to an end but everything about it has continued to deteriorate throughout the years.
I also think you are very correct on what you say about their costumer service. I have found them extremely nice and pretty helpful when it came to billing issues. Responding to my concerned emails about other things (gaming issues, etc.)?- not so much. I have played many other games- even some just starting off- and have never experienced such a lack of content, lack of proper costumer service, and such a huge amount of gaming issues.
I am definitely going to continue sending them a 'ship load' of emails in hopes of them realizing that something must be done. I'm sure some people may think I sound a little dramatic- but only true pirates realize the importance of this game to some people. ;)

i would actually start playing and paying for it if they released new content enough. i mean come on even if it was just a piece of clothing or a new weapon to hunt every month. but bc they dont care they assume that what few ppl they do have left will "stay loyal" which i dont think will last much longer. i mean how long can you bare to send them 10 bucks a month to do the same old same old. as leo said NO NEW GOOD CONTENT IN A YEAR? heck skyrim is about to release a whole dlc thats bigger than potco and the game hasnt been out a year yet. its time they do something. at least give us "proof" that your doing something other than sitting in a bean bag chair eating cheetos everyday while we send you $.

I'm planning on getting a new laptop what's a good laptop to play pirates online this is my current laptop I'm wanting to get HP 2000-428dx Laptop Computer / 15.6-inch HD Display Screen / 4GB Memory / AMD Dual-Core E-450 1.65GHz Processor / 320GB Hard Drive / Double-layer DVD±RW Optical Drive / 6-cell Battery / Windows 7 Home Premium / Charcoal Gray
you can play it on just about anything. i ran it on my old comp and it was 7 years old with .98 gigs of RAM.

Well, maybe they're letting us "enjoy" their "work." Lemme tell you, im NOT enjoying it. The peddler outfits are unappealing, i can't find any cursed, and upgrades cost WAY too many materials! Ik im sounding negative, but... Come on, Disney!

I remember in 2008 and 2007 how fun and appealing this game was to the public. It was popular too. I agree with every one here that since then, the very popular game we used to know has dropped in quality...dramatically. It feels very sad that this game might soon die. However there is a small chance for very good improvements.

It's always exiting and scary when a new update comes
Couldn't agree with you more here... Yes it is very exciting when they actually do release something, but there is a good chance that there will be more glitches and server problems. They rush things out of test server with abundant issues that still need to be fixed - that's terrible and scary, as you said. The fact that they can't even apply a new update to their game correctly without having issues afterwards is just horrible. And to know that something will go wrong every update - it's a bad influence.

If Disney is working something big, it might as well be too late. If something big was added right now on test server, it would take another 2 months unless they really rush it like everything in the past, to just test it. By then, it would really be to late because more than half the year would have passed. If they really would like to please us, they could start by upgrading their servers to handle more players, more memory/content, fix issues and add something big that is well thought out and is long term content rather than something that gets boring in two tries. But what would be considered as big in POTCO... Level increase? A second story quest as long as the Pearl? A new island? There are just so many things that are already overdue. Starting from game play and ending with content which may be to late to do at once considering we know in whose hands POTCO is.

John Foulroberts
I agree with your first post that everything is like a domino effect. The first domino however is being pushed by Disney. Unless there are real life factors which in most cases from what I know it isn't since players are just moving to different games, players are giving up on POTCO. This is the result of DIMG careless act of not putting POTCO as a priority game. he order moves something like this. DIMG lessens their work on POTCO, game production such as content and fixing is reduced, subscribers slowly stop paying for POTCO, there is an income reduction, development crew is either reduced or cheap amateur developers come in, content, performance and issues go downhill, players quit more rapidly, Disney closes POTCO. So first in the list is Disneys's DIMG as they are the cause. Players quitting is a consequence of their actions which leads to even more consequences such as lack of funds, etc. In the end, it is not our fault that the development team had to reduced due to the lack of funds because it is a consequence of DIMG's work on POTCO.

william prowskull
About any commuter works with POTCO. You shouldn't buy a computer just for POTCO ut for yourself. POTCO requirements can be found on a smartphone nowadays. Anything with more than 2gb of ram, a decent graphics card should be able to handle POTCO with no Lag at all. But like I said, POTCO is at a point where it doesn't matter how great your computer is because the issues are internal.

I emailed them a link to this thread and a full 3 paragraphs about why they NEED to listen to us. I think the only way we may be able to get them to do ANYTHING is if we ALL send this thread to them in an email. Maybe once they have a few thousand emails regarding the same thing, they'll stop being so hard-headed, and do what need be done.

Thats good to hear Jim. If you do send them this thread in an email, please post their reply here as well if you can.

Remember that you can also send them your concerns in your own words. Their phone number is also available if you want to directly express your concern and support the game so hopefully there is a positive change in the near future.

Thats good to hear Jim. If you do send them this thread in an email, please post their reply here as well if you can.

Remember that you can also send them your concerns in your own words. Their phone number is also available if you want to directly express your concern and support the game so hopefully there is a positive change in the near future.
Aye, I'll be sure to post their reply. And I heard from a few people that they've shut down their call service as well. Don't know if it's true or not.

I emailed them twice now about content, and what's going on, on their end etc. (which of course we all know/can guess money etc.). I never got a response. So I'm thinking this... Me: Hey uh Disney Pirates Online Crew are you guys gonna fix the game and also add new content? Disney: uh sure... (they think oh shoot we worked on other disney games too long and think oh wow 1 player is mad thats not a problem). I'm sorry but do we need to honestly get an angry mob to go to California outside of their HQ and protest here? I agree with John, the game is ending fast unless Disney can remarkably pull off some "magic" miracle of new content and bug fixes. I see the game only lasting until March 2013. :fight:

i think that disney has kept some glitches that are useful because they help players and they dont have to fix them, if you know what i mean but im not that bothered about glitches and bugs apart from when i drink a tonic and it doesn't help my health and then i die, which ill be emailing them about.

i think that disney has kept some glitches that are useful because they help players and they dont have to fix them, if you know what i mean but im not that bothered about glitches and bugs apart from when i drink a tonic and it doesn't help my health and then i die, which ill be emailing them about.
I highly doubt Disney cares about helping players..
And there are no useful glitches that help players, they are all bad and cause game problems.

Reactions: LEO
They also probably dont care anymore. They are a multi BILLION dollar company. They have the money and they dont care. Even if everyone stopped paying for potco and it shut down... Thats like taking the little leaf off a huge oak tree. Im pretty sure everyone can understand/agree with that statement. They make toys games movies and tv shows.. So a game prpbably doesnt matter to them.

But hopefully with all of us banding together, they will not ruin future games with their blindsided ignorance of the players needs amd wants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back