POTCO... Whats Disney been up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think that disney has kept some glitches that are useful because they help players and they dont have to fix them, if you know what i mean but im not that bothered about glitches and bugs apart from when i drink a tonic and it doesn't help my health and then i die, which ill be emailing them about.
I dont think disney kept any glitch because they are helpful to players. They ask for us to send bug reports for every glitch that we find so they should fix everything. The reality of this seems to be that they either dont know how to fix them since many of these issues have been around since some new content was introduced years ago or they cannot fix them with the current software without messing it up in some other way. I remember they fixed the swift foot but a new simple way was found with in days of after the fix.... We also cannot be picky in what we report and we cannot ask them to keep glitches in the game because they will then just Ignore everything, be lazy and here we are discussing their issues. We have to report everything from bugs and glitches to the server/software issues to lack of content.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note to all: For future reference, please do not turn this into good glitch bad glitch argument.

I dont think disney kept any glitch because they are helpful to players. They ask for us to send bug reports for every glitch that we find so they should fix everything. The reality of this seems to be that they either dont know how to fix them since many of these issues have been around since some new content was introduced years ago or they cannot fix them with the current software without messing it up in some other way. I remember they fixed the swift foot but a new simple way was found with in days of after the fix.... We also cannot be picky in what we report and we cannot ask them to keep glitches in the game because they will then just Ignore everything, be lazy and here we are discussing their issues. We have to report everything from bugs and glitches to the server/software issues to lack of content.
i get it now, disney wouldnt want to help us! if they wanted to help us they would be fixing the issues.

It will be kinda a waste of time I'f pirates online closes I'll try to do what ever I can to help out with the game ask a few friends that don't play this game and try to help out there are lots off ways for us to help out

Well, it'd be a shame if POTCO was lost, but at the rate it's going, it's sure not going to last long. They need to do something big, something epic-and they need to do it fast.
Also, a question-if POTCO goes, will we all unite somewhere else?

Here is something interesting I found here is an interview with the old developer
Internal Interview and Screenshots
The folks at Disney Online have provided us with this new, internal Q&A with Pirates of the Caribbean Online Game Developer Jason Yeung on the game and what's coming. They have also provided us with six new screenshots!
Interviews By Guest Writer on May 02, 2008
Q: So what’s the deal with Davy Jones and the Kraken? Do you have plans to add them to the game? Any hints on when that might happen?
A: Yes, we are definitely planning on adding Davy Jones and the Kraken to the game, and along with them will be all new Quests. Stay tuned for more details!
Q: Is it possible to solo your way through the game, or do you need to join a Crew and/or Guild? Which would you recommend?
A: It is possible to solo, but a core part of our game is the ability for players to assemble a crew of friends. Crews and Guilds are both useful in different ways. Joining a Crew is like playing a pickup basketball game, where you play with different people every time. Crews work together and treasure is split according to the Pirate Code. Joining a Guild is more like playing in a league – you play with the same people every time.
Q: Will you be adding more Guild features to the game?
A: We do have plans to add more Guild features. We don’t have a full design yet, but keep a lookout for more details in the future.
Q: Any plans to add pets to the game? Possibly parrots? Or is that too Pirate-cliché?
A: We love the idea of adding pets to the game, and that is definitely an option for future expansions. However, we have other major features we are focusing on rolling out first that will introduce more gameplay.
Q: What is the biggest challenge you, or the development team as a whole, has faced with Pirates Online?
A: The biggest challenge has been introducing new content fast enough for our really hardcore fans. We are constantly having to strike a balance among bug fixes, broadening the content offering (e.g. clothing/tattoos/jewelry shops), and introducing more content for advanced players (Black Pearl, Davy Jones, etc).
Q: Do the developers actually read any of the feedback that players send in or does Customer Service handle all of that?
A: Yes, we definitely do! We are constantly shaping the game according to player feedback we receive through Customer Service and from what we read on fan forums.

Here is something interesting I found here is an interview with the old developer
Internal Interview and Screenshots
The folks at Disney Online have provided us with this new, internal Q&A with Pirates of the Caribbean Online Game Developer Jason Yeung on the game and what's coming. They have also provided us with six new screenshots!
Interviews By Guest Writer on May 02, 2008
Q: So what’s the deal with Davy Jones and the Kraken? Do you have plans to add them to the game? Any hints on when that might happen?
A: Yes, we are definitely planning on adding Davy Jones and the Kraken to the game, and along with them will be all new Quests. Stay tuned for more details!
Q: Is it possible to solo your way through the game, or do you need to join a Crew and/or Guild? Which would you recommend?
A: It is possible to solo, but a core part of our game is the ability for players to assemble a crew of friends. Crews and Guilds are both useful in different ways. Joining a Crew is like playing a pickup basketball game, where you play with different people every time. Crews work together and treasure is split according to the Pirate Code. Joining a Guild is more like playing in a league – you play with the same people every time.
Q: Will you be adding more Guild features to the game?
A: We do have plans to add more Guild features. We don’t have a full design yet, but keep a lookout for more details in the future.
Q: Any plans to add pets to the game? Possibly parrots? Or is that too Pirate-cliché?
A: We love the idea of adding pets to the game, and that is definitely an option for future expansions. However, we have other major features we are focusing on rolling out first that will introduce more gameplay.
Q: What is the biggest challenge you, or the development team as a whole, has faced with Pirates Online?
A: The biggest challenge has been introducing new content fast enough for our really hardcore fans. We are constantly having to strike a balance among bug fixes, broadening the content offering (e.g. clothing/tattoos/jewelry shops), and introducing more content for advanced players (Black Pearl, Davy Jones, etc).
Q: Do the developers actually read any of the feedback that players send in or does Customer Service handle all of that?
A: Yes, we definitely do! We are constantly shaping the game according to player feedback we receive through Customer Service and from what we read on fan forums.

really? lol

WoW. That was my reaction when I logged in tonight in Andaba. NPC ships are basically not moving at all. The ships are stop for 5-10 seconds and skip... It would be better if they took the whole server out if that's how they want to maintain it. Totally pathetic. I am still wondering what is so hard about just doing a simple reset or maintenance to 'clean' the servers from any 'bugs' that mess with their performance. If you are on right now and read this, simply pay andaba a vidit yourself and set sail from a regular island to see how nice it is...

william prowskull
That's the interview of Jason Yeung from 2007 or 2008 so that is really no more reliable information. A little information about him. Jason was one of the main developers since the POTCO plan was made. After the game was published, he was the lead game designer until April 2009. After that, he became the manager of POTCO''s game design until Novermber 2010. After that, he moved to a different company.

In that interview, everything was already scripted for him though because he had to say what was appealing for Disney and the game. As POTCO costumers, we know the promises they have kept, ignored or have slacked on.

I doubt any developers looks at player ideas. But supposedly if they did, they go through them and ignore them. I'll take infamy for example. I had different ideas for SvS. They made infamy like the pvpers/svsers dream in the spotlight... I even got quoted(seemed like a fail since they didn't actually use my same words). In the end, it was more of a bribe to shut the pvp/svs comunity up of asking for something else. In no way did it make svs more fun to play. They just added some ranks that everyone could achieve. It did not fix any issues. And if this did come form a player suggestion, I and all my friends who svs regularly got completely ignored (2 maxed and what were active guild have quit completely to move to either WOW or LOTRO). I am not sure if there is any content that was added because of player suggestion. And before you argue, ship customization or something else, keep in mind that they had promised us that and a lot other in 2007. So this is the reality of that last question.

As he had claimed under the name of the entire development crew, it was adding new content fast, expanding content fast, fixing bugs and other issues, etc. He had just basically stated what the developing teams job was. I'm not gonna go into depth with this. Everyone knows what an "amazing" job they are doing. Just look at the purpose of this thread.

He also had stated that they were DEFINITELY planning on adding Davy Jones and the Kraken.
As you can see, almost everything they said back then, is a failure now.

It's quite obvious to anybody who avidly plays this game that there are many problems that are discussed by the players, but are never truly addressed by the game itself. Since the game became live in 2007, we've been asking for two major updates: Ship Customization, and..... THE KRAKEN! We've only received Ship Customization of those two (I give it a 7/10, it was heading in the opposite direction I hoped, but that's off topic), and after how long? It took the staff at PotCO about 4 years to release Ship Customization. FOUR! YEARS! Some may disagree out there, but I think that's quite ridiculous for something that's been asked for for quite a few years now. As far as the kraken goes.... I think that idea is water under the bridge right now. However, that's only the content aspects of the game. As far as the performance of the game goes.... it's not good. I remember when I decided to give the game yet another try a few months back, and for a while after I downloaded it again, it would crash 1-2 times a day on me. Now, keep in mind, I don't use a Commodore 64 or anything; I use a laptop..... a very expensive, newer laptop. When this happened, I would literally want to yell at the top of my lungs "Y U NO WOOOORK?!" To get to the end here, there isn't much to say about PotCO except that PotCO needs to work harder on these issues that are present in their game. I used to make a joke about how the PotCO staff was composed of the janitors that work at the Disney HQ, and quite frankly, I don't think it's a terrible exaggeration...

I remember that game xD
I remember it too! Maybe they need to combine the games for us into "Club Pirate" or "Pirate Penguins"
penguins.jpeg
Nah, nvm, a waddling Pirate wouldn't be the same as Potco :mad: (overtired and I won't remember having said this tomorrow- forgive me :eek:lol )
- But seriously, I think we should start a petition to see if we can get some action, for real. IT won't hurt to try.

I tried sending one the other day and kept getting an error and the webpage was freezing. I got a email saying they received the report but i've never got a response from anyone so i'm unsure if they really did.

I am sorry to say about that it does not work and i know that i have tried it and it has never worked i have a glitch That is have found on the game before and i sent it to them but i did not get eneything back from them.

I remember it too! Maybe they need to combine the games for us into "Club Pirate" or "Pirate Penguins"
View attachment 34732 Nah, nvm, a waddling Pirate wouldn't be the same as Potco :mad: (overtired and I won't remember having said this tomorrow- forgive me :eek:lol )
- But seriously, I think we should start a petition to see if we can get some action, for real. IT won't hurt to try.

Pirate penguin :D

I tried sending one the other day and kept getting an error and the webpage was freezing. I got a email saying they received the report but i've never got a response from anyone so i'm unsure if they really did.
I got the site was unavailable after I sent feedback. :/ like a proxy error. So uh like I said earlier do we need an angry mob to march up to their HQ and demand answers or what? :mad:

I googled DIMG to see where our Potco stood in the entire map of DIMG, trying to understand our chances with the game. I always understood that Potco was just one of the games that was operated under DIMG, among all other Disney games and Disney online sites. And I also understood that Potco was way less popular than other Disney games, which was catered towards children (and family - note that the 'family' part is in very small letters) - namely Club Penguin.

But it was still blew my mind, that our Potco was referred to no where but in one 'virtual worlds' games section of Disney (not on Wiki - but please put in perspective about when this Wiki was last updated). Certainly Potco is not popular enough to be mentioned in the DIMG site. No wonder that it gets very little attention from the management of Disney/DIMG. It is such a small part of so many areas of interest that Disney banks its funding on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Interactive_Media_Group
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-companies/disney-interactive-media-group
http://disney.go.com/games/#/games/

As pessimistic as it sounds, I'd have to second all opinions which stated that Potco does not have long time to live anymore. :sad1:

So, back to the first question: What's Disney (maybe more of the Potco team) been up to?
I'd say not much. Just holding the status quo; rolling every day as a routine, patchy-working on stuff as they always do, without much passion and integrity anymore. I would not expect much anymore from game developer team. If they had not listened to their customer much all this time, they are not going to start listening now, unfortunately.

Unless they get a new shot of 'blood' in the system.
And what it that? New management, new fresh point of view of this game (that this game is worth of some value, to revive and to maintain), new team of development, new funding.

And how could we - as players - contribute anything at all, if all possible at all?
Maybe instead of 'chewing' the developer team up, we need to aim our voice to the higher level - meaning the to the higher management. We probably need to focus our attention to the WHY we need to keep this game first (what kind of potentials it has, what type of market segment it hits, how great it was to begin with, how passionate the launching team was with this game in the beginning, the connection with the very successful movie sequels, and anything else you can think of). Then, after the 'why', we can move on to the HOW and WHAT to improve.

I have a feeling that - like others had mentioned - the developer team already knew what needed to be done, or how it should get done, but they probably could care less for such a small game out of the big, complex entities run by DIMG (the fact that Potco team developer does not get as much attention as other popular Disney games). They have lost their passions towards this game themselves, and of course no one in there would not admit that to the customers/players. They basically just keep the ball rolling and could not, or would not, shake anything.

I wish I knew the email address of any of the management team of DIMG that we could shoot emails to, to voice our opinions. That would be a great start, because as of right now, all of our emails, phone calls, as long as they go to the same ppl, they are just going to get stuck there, and not going to get followed up anywhere.

Well, it'd be a shame if POTCO was lost, but at the rate it's going, it's sure not going to last long. They need to do something big, something epic-and they need to do it fast.
Also, a question-if POTCO goes, will we all unite somewhere else?

That's a very good question, Ben. It's kind of a 'morbid' thing, talking about the day after Potco was gone (hypothetical statement). This community is becoming like an online family. The thing that we started as a common interest in a game called Disney Potco, has evolved into something more like a friendship. Without Potco, it's going to be difficult to maintain the identity of this Forums, but it is not impossible to maintain the friendship and personalities of the Forums as a media, and of us as the ppl who form the community. After all, we share a lot of wisdoms in this Forums, not just about Potco, even though as of right now, Potco is the glue of this community. But I feel confident of the bond of our community. :)

I agree with you, Jade. I think that if the worst were to happen to POTCO, I'm quite positive that we will still have the friendships and community that we strongly built because, like you said, although POTCO was the main thing that got us all here on the forums, its no longer the only thing keeping us here. ;)

I agree with you, Jade. I think that if the worst were to happen to POTCO, I'm quite positive that we will still have the friendships and community that we strongly built because, like you said, although POTCO was the main thing that got us all here on the forums, its no longer the only thing keeping us here. ;)

What else is it then mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back