POTCO... Whats Disney been up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, Jade. I think that if the worst were to happen to POTCO, I'm quite positive that we will still have the friendships and community that we strongly built because, like you said, although POTCO was the main thing that got us all here on the forums, its no longer the only thing keeping us here. ;)
Time to prepare for what we need when we leave potco and prepare for the POTCO Apocalypse then? when it will all ends in 2 years or less (if it does)? Just out of curiosity when the game does end (if it keeps going the way it is right now with no fixes or new content and all) will we all go to another game? What's gonna happen to the forums? Sorry I know it's off topic... I just wondered.. :fight:

I emailed them a link to this thread and a full 3 paragraphs about why they NEED to listen to us. I think the only way we may be able to get them to do ANYTHING is if we ALL send this thread to them in an email. Maybe once they have a few thousand emails regarding the same thing, they'll stop being so hard-headed, and do what need be done.

Have they responded yet? Id like to see what they said

Time to prepare for what we need when we leave potco and prepare for the POTCO Apocalypse then? when it will all ends in 2 years or less (if it does)? Just out of curiosity when the game does end (if it keeps going the way it is right now with no fixes or new content and all) will we all go to another game? What's gonna happen to the forums? Sorry I know it's off topic... I just wondered.. :fight:
I honestly don't really know the answer to that (perhaps Davy is the better recipient of that question); but what I do know is that we have all made such wonderful bonds that I believe we will outlive POTCO. ;) I hope that is doesn't actually die out, hope for a miracle.

pirates is indeed going to die soon ill give it a few more years perhaps 2 more actually they should of never made the new islands that is what made the game so lagging, and old school players stop playing if i was Disney, i would put my foot down and say this is what needs to be done (this and that) and when and how we can help our players, well Disney listen to them and actually put your foot downs and do it!!

I'll start the why POTCO went down the drain first by the logical player answer and then by applying some research to it.

A regular player's why:
POTCO was started to follow the movies. Since the story line of the movies was not followed, they changed a lot of stuff around. Economy was bad, maybe less players played/payed, maybe funds decreased and maybe income decreased. However, those are all maybe's. As a player, I would say the POTCO crew relied to much on the veteran players thinking they would always stick with POTCO. This was maybe true for a good percentage of players but statistically, most would quit in a 3 year period either from maybe because real life needed them more but mostly from disappointed in the direction POTCO was headed. As time passed, POTCO advertisements also decreased bringing new players. With the advanced technology that exist today, POTCO was behind and issues continued to increase. The development team kept going on the same direction however their production got even slower. Maybe POTCO wasn't a priority anymore even though it was the second ever MMO game from Disney. Content never seemed to be fair. Higher levels were mainly left with only a couple of options after mastering their pirates. Looting for weapons or interaction with others either in guilds, events or fighting each other. This certainly did not help make the game better as we are now discussing this and I feel like a narrator in Documentary.

Now with a little research:
POTCO
Publisher: Disney Interactive Studios
Developer: Disney interactive Media Group
Distributor: Disney Media Group

POTCO is the second MMORPG game published by Disney with the first being Toontown. POTCO was first introduced in 2005 and was released in Octorber 31, 2007. What came out as a good commercial, appealing, and a fun game full of potential, started to take unpredictable directions. The original developers had set a plan in the beginning to release a bunch of updates for the future but most of what promised in that plan never came and most of what came, was late or overdue the logical timeline a player could expect to see the updates. Since the developers and their supervisors are the one who have complete control, much of the decision making for the game came directly from them with little to almost no player influence even though players seemed to be very hardcore and shared their own ideas throughout the POTCO adventure.

So what went on within the DIMG structure? And what effect did it have on the POTCO game?

In 2008, The Walt Disney internet group and Disney Interactive Studios were merged under Disney Interactive Media Group also knows as DIMG. The President of DIMG at the time was Steve Wadworth. This however, changed in 2010 when he left Disney. He was however credited for achievements such as expanding the companies online studios:

The Walt Disney Co. executive who oversaw a vast expansion of the studio's online and gaming ventures, but struggled to achieve profitability, is leaving the company.

Steve Wadsworth, president of Disney Interactive Media Group, sent an e-mail to his staff late Thursday, saying he had decided to leave after 11 years. He gained broad oversight of the media giant's sprawling digital operations in a 2008 reorganization, which combined the games group with the company's online operations.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/25/business/la-fi-ct-wadsworth-20100925
Wadsworth, who left Disney late last year, had been in charge of expanding the studio's online and gaming ventures. He had been at the company, where he was one of the founders of Disney Online in 1995, since 1993.
http://www.thewrap.com/media/column...rmer-disney-exec-steve-wadsworth-aboard-30175

Perhaps this might of been a turn around for the once celebrated POTCO. During this same time period, the former lead designer and then manager of designing, Jason Yeung also switched companies leaving DIMG and POTCO. This was another drastic move within the DIMG and POTCO crew movement. Around this time, POTCO started to be left behind where POTCO was not even mentioned a priority product of the game. Much of the actions of the game, under maybe a new and weaker leadership seemed to be letting POTCO and its communities down. Many of the problems had existed before the last changes in the DIMG studios however, it seemed that after this, everything was almost ignored.
Alright I'm done with this...:p. But really, Why the game went down hill doesn't really matter anymore. We are the players and we play no role as long as we play the game and for those of us who do pay, keep paying for it. When stuff changes, and it gets bad, it's mostly their job to fix this stuff. Were the customers, they the producers.

As for the forum, I agree partially with what was said above me. Yes we have created some "bonds" between each other but I will quote Jade on this that POTCO is the "Glue" of the community. Without it, it wouldn't really be Pirates Forums anymore but rather a regular social forum. So with that being said, I do say, everyone who does like the forum, should be fighting for this game to keep "living" and get well from this "cancerous" condition. Lets keep going on topic please.

A few people have recommended this idea and though I also have thought of it, it seemed like something that might result in another failure. Thinking about it again, it just might be worth the shot. I am talking about A PETITION.

If we are to make a "Save POTCO Petition", we would really need the cooperation of many many MANY players. I would say having about 500 or more players here in the forum, the game and other forums, sign it by posting pirate name, current level and maybe guild as well. 500 may sound like a lot but looking at how fast this forum grew, having close to 2000 members, 500 shouldn't be a problem. That is why I would also like the Admin's of this site opinion in helping towards this.

The petition would look something like this.

Text - about 300 words written by someone where the text is appealing, and explains what the purpose and goals of the petition are. Talks about the problems it wants to solve and the importance of POTCO.

List of Player signatures- A non argumentive thread is posted with the Tittle and Text where players post info like the sample below. Maybe there would be a message on the forums to help users direct them to that specific thread.
1.Pirate Name - Level # - Guild Name
2.Pirate Name - Level # - Guild Name
3.Pirate Name - Level # - Guild Name

Please share your opinion about this idea. If this is to be realized, it should be done as soon as possible.

A few people have recommended this idea and though I also have thought of it, it seemed like something that might result in another failure. Thinking about it again, it just might be worth the shot. I am talking about A PETITION.

If we are to make a "Save POTCO Petition", we would really need the cooperation of many many MANY players. I would say having about 500 or more players here in the forum, the game and other forums, sign it by posting pirate name, current level and maybe guild as well. 500 may sound like a lot but looking at how fast this forum grew, having close to 2000 members, 500 shouldn't be a problem. That is why I would also like the Admin's of this site opinion in helping towards this.

The petition would look something like this.

Text - about 300 words written by someone where the text is appealing, and explains what the purpose and goals of the petition are. Talks about the problems it wants to solve and the importance of POTCO.

List of Player signatures- A non argumentive thread is posted with the Tittle and Text where players post info like the sample below. Maybe there would be a message on the forums to help users direct them to that specific thread.
1.Pirate Name - Level # - Guild Name
2.Pirate Name - Level # - Guild Name
3.Pirate Name - Level # - Guild Name

Please share your opinion about this idea. If this is to be realized, it should be done as soon as possible.

Wonderful idea! Im 100000000000% with this.

Matthew McBreaker- lv 50 - Dark Archive

Reactions: LEO
Opinions and your ideas only for now. Save the signatures for when they are needed

I'm for this petition 100%! This game means a lot to me (not in a 'I have no life' kind of way). :) I have full confidence that we can get a lot of signatures. We could even post to the many Facebook fan pages dedicated to POTCO. I think that it is worth a try. I want to see this game thrive and I know that many people participate in and create these online petitions these days so I think it's a great idea.

I'm for this 100% as well. But I say once we have all of these signatures, I say we have someone who lives near the Pirates Online HQ and show them the signatures instead of sending them a link or print off the petition and drop it off at their HQ so we know that it's at their office. :fight: I mean remember way back when they said in the Developer's Diary for us to "basically chill and this is our game and that they work for us etc." that took a lot of player feedback for them to finally speak up. My question about that is "How did we get them to speak up and say then what are you guys doing with the game?"

Reactions: LEO
yes they work on toontown too much and i went on one time and NOBODY was there and plus i didnt go on for a month and they deleted my character!

I like the idea of having a petition, then deliver the petition to all media that could get attention to Potco. However, I would only sign a petition that is well formulated, not misleading and missing the point.

I'd like to present some suggestions:
1. Referring to the title of the petition itself. "Save Potco", while the phrase is short and 'catchy', it might be misinterpreted that harm has already been done (in this case, there was already a decision to close Potco down), which, in this case, is not what is happening. We have not had any decision yet as of for how long Potco will survive, even though its condition is deteriorating. We do not want to be trapped into 'sentencing' Potco into its end; there is a 'chance' that it could get better, and that 'chance' is what we are fighting for.

There might be a better terminology, such as "Revive Potco" or something along that line.

2. It might be better to create a small team to formulate the petition itself. The content may include:
- The purpose of petition ("what")
- Reasonings behind the purpose: ("why")
- Situation that we notice on the game
- Statement of the significance/importance of the game (potentials, movie-related, etc.)
- Ideas of improvement ("how")
- Signature sheets

Since Leo had the original idea, he could lead this team.

3. There are forums (Pirates Online Forums/fan site/the Castle, this Pirates Forums, and other forums out there), Wikia and Facebook that we can post this petition to.

I think it should start with something like "We the players/community of Disney Online's Pirates of the Caribbean Online request the following bla bla bla" something like that. I believe that it needs to sound professional as well. Not that it wouldn't anyway. Also should signatures be signed in real life or online. In my opinion I think they will look more convincing signed in real. Jade: You suggested all media. Were you referring to the YouTube game reviewers, TV (CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX?) and various game sites as well as the Pirates Online Community sites? :fight:I agree with you though. I think Leo should be in charge of this, as well as others who are willing to help write this petition.

Jade: You suggested all media. Were you referring to the YouTube game reviewers, TV (CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX?) and various game sites as well as the Pirates Online Community sites?

No, James ... Weather channel, CBS, Discovery Channel, SciFi, Animal Planets too ...
Jk ... :p, sorry, couldn't resist ... :D

In all seriousness, I meant "all media that could get attention to Potco", meaning through different 'channel'/means of communication, such as emailing (sending the link to the petition itself, if the petition is held on this Forums, or other online sites), sending snail mail (giving the print out - perhaps), through Facebook, Wikia, etc. And it is directed not only to the Management of DIMG, but also to the developer team of Potco (even though we have not been heard so far by them, but send again anyway). I personally do not have any idea what address/email address to send these to, and maybe other members could help with this.

We could even hold an in-game event to gather and read our petition there, and if we announce it ahead of time (on the petition itself), a lot of pirates/players will be able to attend. And if it is announced in all Potco-related Forums, Wikia, Facebook, maybe guild websites (if guilds support this petition/event), it will get GMs' attention, or at least Potco Game Moderators' attention behind the scene.

You mentioned about YouTube, and that is a very good idea, if somebody would like to make a special presentation for it (it takes a lot of time for a volunteer to do this). It needs to be 'moving' and 'inspiring', and if there was a video like this, the link could be attached to the petition as well. This video could also function as an invitation to all players out there to get involved in this, and to attend an in-game event to read the petition, if they love Potco enough and would like to see it thrive.

This plan could revolve into a big movement, if we desire to make it that way.

A little side experience with Facebook; it is easy to create a group event in it and send an invitation to every pirate friend on our list, and it could spread like a wildfire. A few months back, a pirate friend invited me (and a lot of others) to 'sign' a petition, or to boycot Potco by not coming online for one day (at designated time). As a protest of a ban. It turned out that the pirate himself was at fault of using a foul language. I was like ... "???" But regardless, tens of pirates just joined the event no matter what the cause and purpose of the event were. Several pirates questioned this event, and I had to write a one-page of explanation on how inappropriate that invitation was. Yes, that was Jade talking. We cannot easily invite others just for an unclear cause. And even for that, a lot of pirates were willing to join the event. Btw, the organizer eventually decided to ask public to just meet online (create an online gathering) to voice their opinion . But my point is, if we have a clear and strong cause, we should be able to collect abundant supports from pirates/players out there, including the ones who are not members of any of the Forums, but are religiously active on Facebook.

The purpose of having a small team is, other than to formulate the petition itself, to help out with publications of this petition. It will take a lot of energy to do all of this, depending on how serious and how big and widespread we would like this event to be.

As far as sending this petition to various game sites, I'm not sure if it would be effective. Players other than Potco players may not have any knowledge of what this petition is all about. I could be wrong on this. But if all Potco-related Forums are invited to get involve in spreading the petition and feature it on each of their sites, it would get attention of their members.

Although I'm not very good with making videos and such, I would love to be involved in whatever way. I think that this petition is a great idea and I have full confidence in us making a difference with it. Also, we could send it to the big official Disney (address/email) as well? This day and time, online petitions seem to be highly effective.

No, James ... Weather channel, CBS, Discovery Channel, SciFi, Animal Planets too ...
Jk ... :p, sorry, couldn't resist ... :D

In all seriousness, I meant "all media that could get attention to Potco", meaning through different 'channel'/means of communication, such as emailing (sending the link to the petition itself, if the petition is held on this Forums, or other online sites), sending snail mail (giving the print out - perhaps), through Facebook, Wikia, etc. And it is directed not only to the Management of DIMG, but also to the developer team of Potco (even though we have not been heard so far by them, but send again anyway). I personally do not have any idea what address/email address to send these to, and maybe other members could help with this.

We could even hold an in-game event to gather and read our petition there, and if we announce it ahead of time (on the petition itself), a lot of pirates/players will be able to attend. And if it is announced in all Potco-related Forums, Wikia, Facebook, maybe guild websites (if guilds support this petition/event), it will get GMs' attention, or at least Potco Game Moderators' attention behind the scene.

You mentioned about YouTube, and that is a very good idea, if somebody would like to make a special presentation for it (it takes a lot of time for a volunteer to do this). It needs to be 'moving' and 'inspiring', and if there was a video like this, the link could be attached to the petition as well. This video could also function as an invitation to all players out there to get involved in this, and to attend an in-game event to read the petition, if they love Potco enough and would like to see it thrive.

This plan could revolve into a big movement, if we desire to make it that way.

A little side experience with Facebook; it is easy to create a group event in it and send an invitation to every pirate friend on our list, and it could spread like a wildfire. A few months back, a pirate friend invited me (and a lot of others) to 'sign' a petition, or to boycot Potco by not coming online for one day (at designated time). As a protest of a ban. It turned out that the pirate himself was at fault of using a foul language. I was like ... "???" But regardless, tens of pirates just joined the event no matter what the cause and purpose of the event were. Several pirates questioned this event, and I had to write a one-page of explanation on how inappropriate that invitation was. Yes, that was Jade talking. We cannot easily invite others just for an unclear cause. And even for that, a lot of pirates were willing to join the event. Btw, the organizer eventually decided to ask public to just meet online (create an online gathering) to voice their opinion . But my point is, if we have a clear and strong cause, we should be able to collect abundant supports from pirates/players out there, including the ones who are not members of any of the Forums, but are religiously active on Facebook.

The purpose of having a small team is, other than to formulate the petition itself, to help out with publications of this petition. It will take a lot of energy to do all of this, depending on how serious and how big and widespread we would like this event to be.

As far as sending this petition to various game sites, I'm not sure if it would be effective. Players other than Potco players may not have any knowledge of what this petition is all about. I could be wrong on this. But if all Potco-related Forums are invited to get involve in spreading the petition and feature it on each of their sites, it would get attention of their members.

Jade that is a BRILLIANT IDEA!!! I will help in WHATEVER way i can :)

Today, I asked a friend who has writing in her occupation to start the text off with the task that included the criteria that Jade, others and myself have mentioned so far. She said that she will have something with in a couple of days so once she finishes it, i will post it here and then gather your opinions on whether it is something we should use or if there is stuff to improve. She has been playing POTCO since it's release so she does have the knowledge of the game to develop the purpose, issues and importance of the petition.

Also, since Jade brought up some good points about the tittle, "revive POTCO" is great. Another tittle was "Preserve POTCO" recommended. The tittle is something we can chose later as well.

As for sending this. A lot of studios, including that of DIMG, have websites that include the contact us information. If we have to, we could even send it to Bob Iger...though I doubt he would care look into it. The 'signatures' would have to be done over online with a sample like I had saidearlier where you include one pirate per person with your level and maybe including guild name as well since real signatures would be really just impossible.

Some stuff can be build as we go on with the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back