Revive Pirates of the Caribbean Online

How successful has this been? I mean I've signed it and all but is it doing any good?
When you say, "is it doing any good," my response to that would have to be that if we did absolutely nothing at all for POTCO, would you be inclined to ask the very same question? My guess is that you probably wouldn't because doing absolutely nothing at all in LIFE gets you nowhere when it comes to making a difference or changing things for the better.

Look, I am not going to lie to anyone. :) There are MANY challenges standing in the way for POTCO to be revived. This was the risk the petition organizers and myself were willing to partake, for the welfare and continuity of the game.

As petition signees such as yourself - Davy, it is my hope that everyone understands that reviving POTCO will not be a quick fix! This means the proposals we have presented to Disney/DIMG within the petition "Letters" may ultimately occur on Disney/DIMG's own terms and their own time. There is nothing we can do as pirates to rush this process!

While each day that passes within the Caribbean to where we hear nothing at all from Disney/DIMG, please realize that by signing the Revive POTCO petition, you most certainly have made a difference because not even Disney nor DIMG can ignore our voice forever!

*Whatever outcome results from this, whether Disney/DIMG in favor of reviving POTCO or not, please understand that POTCO is much better off than if you would have done nothing at all. If I am wrong, then as a petition organizer why do I keep hearing that they have in fact "heard" our voice, as POTCO players?:piratemickey:

The choice now in making a decision is up to Disney and Disney Interactive. From this article, there are 2 things I would like to highlight and to have everyone understand:
  1. (Somewhat) bad news for Disney Interactive and its divisional "gaming" efforts in general:
    -- Disney is not, strictly speaking, a movie company. In fiscal 2012, the entire studio entertainment division generated $5.8 billion in revenue, or 13.8% of the corporate total, and kicked in a mere 7.2% of Disney’s operating income. Walt Disney is basically a cable-network juggernaut, with a nifty little film studio, several impressive theme parks and a nice mouse-ear-hat and toy-licensing business on the side.
    Media networks, predominantly ESPN and Disney Channel’s global outlets, generate about two-thirds of company profits. Until cable-fee economics change for the worse (which could happen) or a nasty recession saps theme-park pricing and attendance, Disney’s basic profit machine hums along nicely.
  2. (Potential) good news for POTCO:
    A strong priority was placed on producing new franchises, character sets that resonate across theaters, television, theme-park attractions and merchandising. Disney Princesses, “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “Cars” and “The Avengers” all apply. This is fabulously valuable intellectual property that lowers the volatility of Disney’s overall release slate...
Personally, I still feel confident that the POTC "brand" will continue to remain a high priority for them (i.e., Disney the corporation). As such, POTCO does provides for them an outlet they can use to make money and take advantage of such a name brand.

*Disney only needs to acknowledge the true potential POTCO could have (if they would divulge the adequate funding for it) as no other initiative they have within DIMG's gaming portfolio (besides 'Star Wars') has such a diverse, global, and recognizable "brand" than POTC. This might be an inappropriate place to post this video but - as pirates :pirate dual: - if ye were to listen carefully to the lyrics of this song, it actually speaks a lot of why POTCO needs revived and why (in my opinion) we all cling to the hope that Disney should "give us a little love." :shark:

Last edited by a moderator:
3%2C000_signs%21.PNG

Let's keep it rising, shall we? ;)

Even though that is an AMAZING feat for the petition, at least 300 of those are duplicate signatures.

Signers, please do not sign more than the requested amount. Doing so just provides us with more work sifting through the duplicate names.
Thanks for your understanding and support.
:pirate ship:

Even though that is an AMAZING feat for the petition, at least 300 of those are duplicate signatures.

Signers, please do not sign more than the requested amount. Doing so just provides us with more work sifting through the duplicate names.
Thanks for your understanding and support.
:pirate ship:
I was under the impression that a person could only sign twice...

dont think potco gets it, we are tired of all this garbage, its time for an event they will notice.. any ideas?

Someone should start a kickstarter. Not to be mean or offend anyone, but this hasn't been that successful the way it is unfolding. I mean, that's a great feat, 3000 signatures. Congrats on that! But, POTCO obviously has chosen to ignore the voices of people wanting a better game. If I were in charge of this; I would probably start a Kickstarter. They can't refuse people giving them money. They can refuse people just asking for a better game. Just an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

...a Kickstarter. They can't refuse people giving them money.They can refuse people just asking for a better game. Just an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
While I certainly respect your idea, wouldn't the logistics of this remain in violation of Disney's terms of service? :confused:

While reviewing the WDIG terms of service (if I am interrupting them correctly), such a move towards any "kickstarter" idea would ultimately violate such policy. Below are the statements to which make me wonder:

POTCO "member services agreement"
By using this Service, you agree to this Pirates of the Caribbean Online Game Member Agreement, the Disney Terms of Use [http://disney.go.com/legal/conditions_of_use.html], and the Disney House Rules [http://disney.go.com/guestservices/netiquette.html] (collectively, the "Agreement").
Walt Disney Internet Group (WDIG) "terms of use"
(Listed under 'submissions' section)
Our long-standing company policy does not allow us to accept or consider Unsolicited Submissions so please do not Distribute Unsolicited Submissions on or through any WDIG Sites. We want to avoid the possibility of future misunderstandings when projects developed by us or under our direction might seem to others to be similar to their own creative work. We therefore ask that you not Distribute any Unsolicited Submission. In any event, you agree that any Submissions you make is not being made in confidence or trust and that no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created between you and us in any way, and that you have no expectation of any review, compensation or consideration of any type (other than any stated Consideration)..
The legal, mumbo jumbo is often difficult to understand at times.

While I certainly respect your idea, wouldn't the logistics of this remain in violation of Disney's terms of service? :confused:

While reviewing the WDIG terms of service (if I am interrupting them correctly), such a move towards any "kickstarter" idea would ultimately violate such policy. Below are the statements to which make me wonder:

So what's the plan then? This petition hasn't gotten what we have asked for. I'm just saying, that's the fact. The game is declining. You guys started a petition to "Revive" it. Unless, they are going for a major update with everything we want and more later this year (which would be an awful business decision, considering they would lose more money, because people have left the game and they're have been no updates.)

This isn't going so well. We all know it. The petition isn't working as everyone thought it would a year ago. I think most people were under the impression that the petition was like Superman and would save the game. Which it has obviously done not. Just saying, something needs to be done by us. Most things in history have involved breaking the rules.

So what's the plan then? This petition hasn't gotten what we have asked for. I'm just saying, that's the fact. The game is declining. You guys started a petition to "Revive" it. Unless, they are going for a major update with everything we want and more later this year (which would be an awful business decision, considering they would lose more money, because people have left the game and they're have been no updates.)

This isn't going so well. We all know it. The petition isn't working as everyone thought it would a year ago. I think most people were under the impression that the petition was like Superman and would save the game. Which it has obviously done not. Just saying, something needs to be done by us. Most things in history have involved breaking the rules.

What are you suggesting, Sires? What rule is there to break which would get us anywhere? If you are suggesting Hacking the game, you need to re-evaulate the situation.

Here is the sequence of events for what happens when games are hacked. THESE ARE ONLY A FEW OF THE MANY CONSEQUENCES!
1. You get a hack.
  • hack devloper/instructor is supported
    • makes new instructions/hacks
      • more people download (goto 1st full pt)
2. You hack the game
  • people see you hacking
    • people get mad
      • Stop playing game
  • people go and download hack (goto 1st full pt)
  • lag starts occurring from abnormal code being sent to server constantly
  • game starts to break, codes not being sent from server to client (caused by point above)
3. Game devlopers resources turn to trying to keep the game running/patching hacks
  • New content not being released
    • people stop playing
4. People stop playing
  • stop paying
    • people are fired from jobs
      • barely anything done to game
    • game devlopers run out of money
5. Game is closed

There is nothing we can do other than spread this petition around. We have done our part, DIMG now has to do theirs. It is DIMG's game afterall, there is nothing we can do to change that, or their final decisions.

So what's the plan then?
I can tell you that petition organizers have "brain-stormed" like crazy to think of ways to incite Disney to respond. Obviously to date, they have not.

Within our discussions, some talk was even initiated by myself to possibly organize a POTCO boycott for a day. It took a few people within the group to step-up and challenge this notion and I can tell you that I am so very glad that they did on account of myself learning from them that such an act would not contribute or solve anything.

Look, I think the point I am trying to make is that Disney will do only what Disney wants, and most usually their attention will not be swayed unless some major "news" broke out within the MEDIA, to which they would only respond then as a result of feeling obligated to do so.

As petition organizers, we have tried to organize numerous efforts to contact such major forms of MEDIA (i.e., reporters working for LA TIMES for example). There was even an individual I personally contacted myself on account of knowing him in real as a result of our mutual friendship during the days of our youth together. This person is listed on my personal facebook and to whom was a actual ABC News broadcaster for the station overnight.

*Despite all of these efforts, not a single person has yet agreed to get on the bandwagon with Revive POTCO organizers into trying to help spread the story of our plight (besides a handful of 'gaming' websites).

It seems the only difference that can be made is if Disney/DIMG would actually respond (officially) to us as players. It's sad to say but really at this point, I have an inclination that such an idea in support of a "kickstarter" effort would not produce the results ye seek. And, this goes for a lot of other ideas and angles that may also exist out there.

Until Disney responds, I am just left scratching my head of the whole ordeal - remembering at the same time the point we first communicated to them, explaining that the basis for the whole Revive POTCO effort was in fact "peaceful."

I am just appalled as to why they haven't even acknowledged the effort to date (whether 'for' or 'against') the petition.

July 30, 2012 (19 pages ago) this Petition was started.

The title is
"Revive Pirates of the Caribbean Online
This is a petition to instigate change and revive Pirates of the Caribbean Online."
All of us who love this game come to this thread to discuss ideas because we all want the game revived, with new game content and changes.​
Everyone here is concerned, everyone cares. I know many of you/us have tried in different ways, either here, in game, at events, or by contacting Potco directly. I sent a letter today to Potco support, and will start to send the letter to other parts of Potco. I think people sending individual letters in on a regular basis will get some attention. Maybe not, but I am guessing it would.​
Again, I know a lot of you send letters to Potco asking for changes. I'm just saying what I did.
This is just my opinion, I don't know everything except what I feel in my heart and in my mind, so​
honestly, I don't care if someone disagrees with me, or feels they have to "Quote" part of my response here, as some like to do. ;)
I'd like to mention also, working together on this remains important, and not to single out others who care, like Sires who did not imply hacking.​
I love the forum, I'm just a lil tired of certain people getting attacked (including me) for no reason when we try to post something.​
Any replies or partial quotes now to try and make me look bad too? :p
We all care, or else we wouldn't be here. :D
<3, Pie

In plain man's terms, if you send us any ideas, etc... and we use them, you don't get any credit. Its just a statement they put in so if they do use an idea, you can't sue them for using it, because by sending it into them you gave up your rights to it.

Back