Revive Pirates of the Caribbean Online

The newer generations of POTCO would be proud as they look back at POTCO history and say "Dang I wish I was with these pirates and join them on that bodacious revival."
This has always been my own opinion, on the matter...

Let's assume that POTCO will be around for at least 2015 (the year the 5th installment of the POTC movie will be released). In all of that time (2 years from now, to be exact), will you - as a POTCO gamer - have done all that you can to contribute to the welfare of the game for the better or, will it be known by at least yourself that within that amount of time you did "nothing?"

*Whichever decision you do make, you will ultimately have to live with, savvy? ;) There arrrr no second chances with this.

I wrote to potco this week listing things I would love to be added to the game. They wrote back to me specifically mentioning the kraken battle idea....... check it out below. The first part is the email I sent, under that is how they responded to me.

Question/Comment/Suggestion :

Hello.
POTCO is still a viable money maker for Disney Interactive. It is a great game and has a lot of great aspects to it that other virtual world games don't have.
What the game needs is new content though, it hasn't had any new content in almost 2 years. As a continuous paying customer (unlimited access since Sept. 2009) I am disappointed that you haven't continued to add new content and fix lag, bugs, etc. Players continue to play because the game is so entertaining but it could be even more interesting if you put some extra developers on it to make it even better. Also, if you added new content and advertised it you could get more players to buy memberships to it as well as bring back old players who have left because of lack of new content. Please revive this game to its former and future glory, it can be a huge money maker for the company!
Some suggestions to add:
1. new quests for mastered pirates (there are many people who have mastered their pirates and have no more quests)
2. raise notoriety cap
3. Add new islands and quests associated with exploring the new islands
4. add more storage for pirates items (clothing, weapons, etc)
5. add the kraken as a new battle on the sea, people can battle it not only with their ship's cannons but with pirates on board fighting the tentacles coming over the ships railings with their weapons. The kraken can just randomly attack the ship.
6. A mastered pirate island (only pirates that are level 50 can go on that island) to fight high level bosses, etc.
7. Have more interaction with characters from the POTC movies like Davy Jones, Blackbeard, mermaids.
8. Would love to have the option to dress like some of the characters from the movie (elizabeth's dresses, will's outfit, jack sparrows outfit)
9. Guild houses where guilds can have guild meetings without outside pirates interrupting.
10. Pets for pirates like parrots or dogs.

With Pirates of the Caribbean #5 and #6 coming out in the next few years this online world still have a lot to give to fans.

This truly is a viable game that just needs some new content and attention and then advertisements to get old and new players to come check it out. Back in 2009 and 2010 this game was fantastic and it can be that way again. Please heed the fan's wishes and improve it.

HERE IS THE RESPONSE I GOT TODAY (ONLY TOOK 2 DAYS TO RESPOND TO ME)

Hi there Kelly,

Thank you for your email. It is always great to hear from our players about what they want to see happen in the game.

All of your suggestions do sound like they would add a bit more fun and excitement to the Caribbean. Fighting the kraken would be quite a fun and thrilling to witness.

While I cannot guarantee that we will be able to make this happen, we will always consider new ways to make Pirates Online fun regardless of whether you have a membership or not. It is with suggestions from you and your fellow Pirates that helps make Pirates Online better and better.

Sincerely,

Randy B
Pirates of the Caribbean Online Member Services

The "rumor" is true, then (smiles; points up above to Kelly's email :D).

*I have heard that if Disney or Disney Interactive receives such emails (or letter) of concern written in such a way that the message comes from the writer's own "heart," that they are more willing to respond to such correspondence.

Thanks to Kelly's effort, this is a perfect example of how to inform Disney/DIMG to understand our plight as POTCO players. :)

The "rumor" is true, then (smiles; points up above to Kelly's email :D).

*I have heard that if Disney or Disney Interactive receives such emails (or letter) of concern written in such a way that the message comes from the writer's own "heart," that they are more willing to respond to such correspondence.

Thanks to Kelly's effort, this is a perfect example of how to inform Disney/DIMG to understand our plight as POTCO players. :)

I forgot to mention, at the end of the email was a link specific to me for a customer satisfaction survey asking if my problem was resolved, how was the customer service response, etc. about 10 questions in total. That was a very hopeful sign I felt, they are actually tracking customers experiences......

I wonder what they'd do if we held an event on Club Penguin..... oh and hand written letters, good 'ole fashion style with a stamp.. would that persuade them we're serious?

I forgot to mention, at the end of the email was a link specific to me for a customer satisfaction survey asking if my problem was resolved, how was the customer service response, etc. about 10 questions in total. That was a very hopeful sign I felt, they are actually tracking customers experiences......

Kelly, your list was great! Did you send that to Potco through the "contact us" on their home page?
Or can you share the email address you used?

I think all of us should send more emails like this, asap. To get their attention more. Before it's too late.

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but I had sent a letter like this to them back in 2011,
and did receive a reply...
letter.PNG

Honestly considering this is Disney they won't shut the game down until it starts losing money. However also considering this is Disney they will attempt to prolong this without spending much. If you look back at Disney's past online game attempts it's all very similar. Now considering this was one of Disney's first attempt's at making an MMO (unless I am mistaken) it is not on their top priority list. Now add that to the lucasarts deal with new Star Wars movies and the success of the avengers and other marvel movies I think it's safe to say we won't be getting much help on this endeavor.

As for what shamus has said in a previous post I am afraid to say Disney is in it for a quick buck, as if you take a look at their previous pirates of the Caribbean games most were buggy poorly thought out and relied on the brand name to sell. I honestly hope that they either add something to the game or make a new one that can top the current game.

Captain Hi,

Pirates has been losing money for the past couple of years. The entire division has. Which is why staff was cut to the bone, support was relocated and there's been no development.

Disney no longer develops many of its games, licensing them to other companies. It's cheaper and they assume a lot less risk.

For ye pirates whom have a Twitter:pirate1: account, contact Chris Heatherly, Vice President and General Manager of Disney Interactive Worlds (i.e., 'the boss' in charge of managing DIMG's virtual worlds including POTCO, Pixie Hollows, Toontown, and Club Penguin).
Avast! "Tweet":parrot:Mr. Heatherly and remind him that POTCO needs "revived!" The sources to where I obtained the information above ^ concerning Chris Heatherly's Twitter include:
Moreover, Chris Heatherly is the man whom is pretty high up on the DIMG totem pole when it comes to the division's "virtual, online worlds" (i.e., POTCO, Pixie Hollows, Toontown, and Club Penguin). No other individual(s) other than both of DIMG's Presidents - John Pleasants and James Pitaro - have such influence upon the success (or failure) of POTCO.

*If you happen to be registered on the site - LinkedIn, I encourage everyone to review Chris Heatherly's qualifications he lists upon the site. For ease and to save everyone some time, I will include below Mr. Heatherly's "accomplishments":
Accomplishments:
Oversaw Toontown Online, Pirates of the Carribean Online, Pixie Hollow
Online, and Club Penguin.
Restored Club Penguin to growth by revitalizing the content and
marketing strategy.
Established partnerships with Marvel and Disney Channel to expand Club
Penguin franchise.
Shipped Puffle Launch, a Top 5 Paid app globally that has over 4m
downloads.
Launched Disney Fairies Fashion Boutique, a top 10 iPad and top 25
iPhone app
Expanded Club Penguin brand through a series of video shorts, and music
with Walt Disney Records. Over 16m views on YouTube to date.
Introduced microtransactions into the Pixie Hollow virtual world along
with a hybrid subscription/MTX offering.
Established a data-informed culture for in-game content & marketing with
an emphasis on real-time monitoring.
Championed the transition to the Agile methodology across four studios
While Club Penguin is an infatuation of Mr. Heatherly's, so too was that game with Lane Merrifield (and Disney, as a corporation, as a whole). :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I sent an email to the "contact us" link at POTCO and basically cut and pasted the same message I sent to them last month to see if they would notice. And surprise, surprise they actually did! I'm encouraged to hear them say "I can assure you that they have been heard". See the below response:

Hello Kelly,

Thank you for your suggestions to add more things to Pirates. I can see you have sent us the same list of suggestions about the game before. We have passed this along to the right area for review. Again we can't promise you that your suggestions will be used but I can assure you that they have been heard.

Feel free to email us again if you have any questions about Pirates Online.

Stay Savvy,

Shanna
Pirates of the Caribbean Online Member Services​

lol I sent an email to the "contact us" link at POTCO and basically cut and pasted the same message I sent to them last month to see if they would notice. And surprise, surprise they actually did! I'm encouraged to hear them say "I can assure you that they have been heard". See the below response:​
Hello Kelly,​
Thank you for your suggestions to add more things to Pirates. I can see you have sent us the same list of suggestions about the game before. We have passed this along to the right area for review. Again we can't promise you that your suggestions will be used but I can assure you that they have been heard.​
Feel free to email us again if you have any questions about Pirates Online.​
Stay Savvy,​
Shanna​
Pirates of the Caribbean Online Member Services​

Shanna is a very good person :) not like Krista. You might be lucky kelly :)

Back