TLOPO Trading Teaser

I personally don't think it should be bannable (at the moment) but I had bigger plans for PvP and SvS awhile back and maybe I'll get around to making a concept for it!
My bad, I should have said "potentially bannable"! Obviously it depends on the severity of the abuse lol

I really don't get what the big deal is. Literally EVERY other MMO has the ability to trade. Even Disney's VMK had a huge trading culture.

Do you all play other MMOs and get angry over the ability to trade there too, or what? Despite the ability to trade on these other MMOs, I still couldn't get my hands on super rare items because I had to give up something just as equally valuable or pay a LOT of gold that I didn't have. Trading does not mean that somehow everyone will have their hands on rare, sought-after items.

Finally, if you don't want to trade to keep the "thrill of looting" alive, then ... don't. You can still acquire the items via looting. Trading simply adds an extra dimension to those who don't enjoy grinding for rare items all day long. (Like me, I guess, except, I also don't like thinking about the economics of trading, so I just kind of... chill and stuff.)

I really don't get what the big deal is. Literally EVERY other MMO has the ability to trade. Even Disney's VMK had a huge trading culture.

Do you all play other MMOs and get angry over the ability to trade there too, or what? Despite the ability to trade on these other MMOs, I still couldn't get my hands on super rare items because I had to give up something just as equally valuable or pay a LOT of gold that I didn't have. Trading does not mean that somehow everyone will have their hands on rare, sought-after items.

Finally, if you don't want to trade to keep the "thrill of looting" alive, then ... don't. You can still acquire the items via looting. Trading simply adds an extra dimension to those who don't enjoy grinding for rare items all day long. (Like me, I guess, except, I also don't like thinking about the economics of trading, so I just kind of... chill and stuff.)
Couldn't agree any more. Preach it!

Alright so since the staff are actually hanging out in this thread I want you to consider something very important. Open trade would be cool. I'll admit that. What wouldn't be cool is people farming Famed and Legendaries as well as gold to sell them for IRL $. This happen in EVERY MMO WITH TRADE. Give an open trade system and it will happen to TLOPO. What happens then, you might ask. The whole project gets shut down because people are making money off of Disney's assets. You've stated this will be free forever, and have made good on that promise, but the problem that you're inviting isn't solved simply. People in WoW have been doing it for years, because who's to discern what a legitimate transaction is. Instead of thinking about pleasing the players short term with the trading system, you should be focusing on the long term goal of keeping the game up and running so people can enjoy it to begin with. I'm not saying scrap trading entirely, but for open trade to happen would be an atrocity.

Instead I propose a system in which you can trade items of the same rarity and that's it. Your friend got a duplicate Vipers Den and you have a duplicate Scoundrels pistol? Go ahead and trade. Don't let gold be traded, this just promotes people selling in game currency for cash. Just keep it on a rarity to rarity level and not much can go wrong. Anything else could lead to nothing short of total disaster.

Alright so since the staff are actually hanging out in this thread I want you to consider something very important. Open trade would be cool. I'll admit that. What wouldn't be cool is people farming Famed and Legendaries as well as gold to sell them for IRL $. This happen in EVERY MMO WITH TRADE. Give an open trade system and it will happen to TLOPO. What happens then, you might ask. The whole project gets shut down because people are making money off of Disney's assets. You've stated this will be free forever, and have made good on that promise, but the problem that you're inviting isn't solved simply. People in WoW have been doing it for years, because who's to discern what a legitimate transaction is. Instead of thinking about pleasing the players short term with the trading system, you should be focusing on the long term goal of keeping the game up and running so people can enjoy it to begin with. I'm not saying scrap trading entirely, but for open trade to happen would be an atrocity.

Instead I propose a system in which you can trade items of the same rarity and that's it. Your friend got a duplicate Vipers Den and you have a duplicate Scoundrels pistol? Go ahead and trade. Don't let gold be traded, this just promotes people selling in game currency for cash. Just keep it on a rarity to rarity level and not much can go wrong. Anything else could lead to nothing short of total disaster.

people sell ttr accounts on ebay and their not shut down, as long as the staff doesnt set up a paywall I think everything is gonna be fine

Kixenos makes an interesting point about this being a "borrowed" Disney project. That should be considered. I think trading has its place. I do not see a system that has no restrictions as being a good start. Every year I teach a class I am pretty strict at the beginning and when the class demonstrates it can be responsible I can loosen the reins. To start the opposite way invites disaster because it is a lot harder to rein them in. :hobbyhorse:

Couldn't have said it any better honestly. I hope this would enlighten people's minds.

Trading is something that POTCO needed. Restrictions on trade would not help anything. Value is in the eyes of the beholder. I might find a famed doom rattler cutlass worth much more than a legendary emerald curse sabre.

People will not always win on their trades, but it is their choice to trade. Over time, like every other game, this game would acquire a sort of economy. Prized items will have a rough market value and people will know what those are. Another option for long-term stabilization of prices would be to have an auction listings of sort. This allows people to see what others are asking for the same item. Having trade will allow "gold" to be what it always should have been. A worth-while currency. In POTCO, the only real use for gold was for ships. Now, with trade, gold could be used as acceptable currency for all other items. Now, the guy who loves sailing and does that all day can earn his Legendary items. The guy who loves looting can earn the gold for a warship. Trading will allow you to earn the way you like. It is a great idea and I hope this game gives it a try.

Trading is something that POTCO needed. Restrictions on trade would not help anything. Value is in the eyes of the beholder. I might find a famed doom rattler cutlass worth much more than a legendary emerald curse sabre.

People will not always win on their trades, but it is their choice to trade. Over time, like every other game, this game would acquire a sort of economy. Prized items will have a rough market value and people will know what those are. Another option for long-term stabilization of prices would be to have an auction listings of sort. This allows people to see what others are asking for the same item. Having trade will allow "gold" to be what it always should have been. A worth-while currency. In POTCO, the only real use for gold was for ships. Now, with trade, gold could be used as acceptable currency for all other items. Now, the guy who loves sailing and does that all day can earn his Legendary items. The guy who loves looting can earn the gold for a warship. Trading will allow you to earn the way you like. It is a great idea and I hope this game gives it a try.

I can't Like this enough. This is exactly how it should be.

As for your comments about the actual worth of an item, I want to add in the fact that TLOPO/POTCO doesn't even categorize their items very well. The most obvious example is the Revenant Cannon Ram. It's only a Rare, but it's better than every famed ram (debatable with iron priming, of course), and it's so hard to get compared to the rest it might as well be legendary.

Wool Ram is a famed, but is obtained commonly at wave 26 in CD. For reference, it's believed you need at least 52 for haunted or revenant, and even then chances are you won't get one even by wave 100.

I'm sure the staff wants to keep track of what every pirate trades with another... I don't think you all see the DRAMA effect it will have. >_>

"Oh he's cheating they know each other! How do you know it's not an alt!"
"I did not mean to trade that! Give it back!"
"Was that a fair deal, what is the value of weapons!? :( I gave my Skullbone Repeat for Admiral's Cutlass"
So on and so forth...

I feel the need to say this, as it applies to any aspect of the game. When it comes to this game, we take moderation seriously. If trading was to be implemented, I'm sure we'd discuss the moderation aspects as we would with anything.

That being said, let's try not to bash something because of the potential moderation aspects. That's for us to worry about, and is something we can take care of easily.

TLOPO will never charge a fee, subscription, or any other form of monetary value to have access to the full games experience. Anyone who tries to charge for anything related to TLOPO is a scam, and any loss or damage accrued by use of such services is the responsibility of the user and not TLOPO.

https://tlopo.com/help/terms/

The Terms of Service specifically say that anyone who tries to charge you for anything related to TLOPO, is scamming you.

I highly doubt Disney would shut a game down because of people unaffiliated with us doing something like that. We have stated it would be free forever, and it will be, because WE ARE NOT CHARGING ANYONE. If someone is asking you to give them money for anything in this game, IT IS A SCAM.

If people wish to sell things for real-life money, they should be aware this violates the Terms of Service and will always be a scam in TLOPO's eyes. We do not affiliate with those who sell ANYTHING for real-life money.

----

I'm largely staying out of the debate, but when it comes to moderation you guys should not worry. As for trading, if it were to be implemented, it's not really worth getting upset over. It's standard practice for an MMO to have trading, simple as that - and as anyone who's in game design can tell you, there's a reason game genres have standard models that most everyone follows.

In other words, chill, we know nothing about this other than a random 6 second video. We don't even know if it's happening! There's no reason to get so riled up.

Although, I would like to point out that there were a lot of complaints about The Queue as well, but that turned out to be pretty great after small tweaks were made. The same thing happened with Ship AI, the complaints rolled in too early, and died down once everyone adjusted. Not to be a broken record, but this has become a common trend - give something a chance to breath a bit before trying to smother it at the very least. It is rarely as bad as you think, give yourself time to adjust first.

That being said, I personally would love to see this in the game, and hope it is implemented.

Honestly I think everyone is overreacting. Almost every major MMO has trading, and they all survive just fine, and people still loot for their items just fine. Just because someone can receive items easily, doesn't mean people will give them up easily. It won't kill looting for me, because I'm still gonna loot for what I want regardless of what anyone else is doing. Just my two cents.

I always hated that saying.

If I came across a polar bear or a tiger, I'm going to ASSUME it will straight up MURDER ME if I get close to it. Or punch it in the face.

Assumptions are why the human race survived beyond cave men.

It was not posted by a TLOPO staff member and nobody has said otherwise. Therefore, it is assumed to be 100% fake.
The game client is so tightly guarded that its nearly impossible to edit things ingame, menu text, textures. Furthermore, doing this in post production of recording gameplay would be twice as hard as that, considering the text on the prompt matches ingame text. Furthermore several staff members have came into this thread arguing its a good idea, so basic human logic can put two and two together.

As for if trading is a good idea or not. I believe its a great idea considering if you loot a famed or legendary item you aren't just going to trade it away for any old junk your gonna trade it for something you badly need, whether that be a DB Sack vest, whether that be a ram, or a legendary weapon swap between two friends, Or just selling a item for straight up gold coins, like 200k, so you can get that next ship upgrade, or trade your materials, I think this is a very good thing and adds a whole new element to ingame. Doesn't make anything easier to get because at the end of the day some pirate has to loot it, and then decide to part with it, before you could then buy it. With the addition of trading, I do believe the player will need a storage, or well. Like a banker or a place where we can stash and deposit items into to allow us to become richer then others and create a proper ingame economy.

Every MMO needs a strong economy.

The game client is so tightly guarded that its nearly impossible to edit things ingame, menu text, textures. Furthermore, doing this in post production of recording gameplay would be twice as hard as that, considering the text on the prompt matches ingame text. Furthermore several staff members have came into this thread arguing its a good idea, so basic human logic can put two and two together.

As for if trading is a good idea or not. I believe its a great idea considering if you loot a famed or legendary item you aren't just going to trade it away for any old junk your gonna trade it for something you badly need, whether that be a DB Sack vest, whether that be a ram, or a legendary weapon swap between two friends, Or just selling a item for straight up gold coins, like 200k, so you can get that next ship upgrade, or trade your materials, I think this is a very good thing and adds a whole new element to ingame. Doesn't make anything easier to get because at the end of the day some pirate has to loot it, and then decide to part with it, before you could then buy it. With the addition of trading, I do believe the player will need a storage, or well. Like a banker or a place where we can stash and deposit items into to allow us to become richer then others and create a proper ingame economy.

Every MMO needs a strong economy.

What makes me think there's a good chance this is real is the fact that nobody with any authority on the matter has come into this thread and gone "yo, we didn't make that, this is fake".

I understand why people are against trading, and I partially agree with the points raised in opposition to it. But that's not to say I'm 100% against it; I just feel that maybe trading should wait until more weapons/items are eventually added into the game. There's a literal ton of unreleased weapons of every type, and I think releasing a majority of them first, or alongside trading, would both preserve the appeal looting has and make trading more interesting.

And I agree with Yulia, it's always sort of felt weird playing all these other MMOs with an economy only to hop on POTCO where trading was nonexistent. An economy could add a fun new dimension to the game, and I could finally start up my potion selling business for those who find potions to be too tedious to make ;)

We don't know when this trading feature plans to be released. But I'd say if they added a bunch of new weapons, raised gold cap, added a storage/bank NPC where we can deposit stuff into, And then implement trading, then aside from the usual stuff we have to do like actually farming and PVPing we'd also have the option to buy or sell, the prospect of becoming richer. Yet another thing we could focus on. Would make this game even more solid.

Back