Idea Trade Ship

I like the idea of the trade ship offering different items that cost different materials each visit, as well as the idea of each visit being a limited-time event, but I'm not sure if it'd be such a good idea to make different items appear for each pirate.

For starters, it could feel unfair. Some players will get Silver Freeze and El Patron while others get World Eater and Thunderspine.

It might be more fun, and more lore-driven, if the trade ship arrives every month with a "big shipment" that is standard for all pirates (but different from the ship's last visit). But maybe have each item be limited in stock (across all servers)? Pirates would have to rush to get the items they be wanting! Plus it would help keep rare items rare.

First good "trading" idea I've seen. 100x better than player to player. Please give my current weapons sale value so I don't have to start from zero.. not that SF would have much sale value..
I've always liked the idea of players simply having the ability and freedom to trade with each other, but if this trade ship would allow us to sell our items for the non-gold materials (like grog) that it accepts as currency, then this would be a great alternative/compromise for trading.

I like the idea of the trade ship offering different items that cost different materials each visit, as well as the idea of each visit being a limited-time event, but I'm not sure if it'd be such a good idea to make different items appear for each pirate.

For starters, it could feel unfair. Some players will get Silver Freeze and El Patron while others get World Eater and Thunderspine.

It might be more fun, and more lore-driven, if the trade ship arrives every month with a "big shipment" that is standard for all pirates (but different from the ship's last visit). But maybe have each item be limited in stock (across all servers)? Pirates would have to rush to get the items they be wanting! Plus it would help keep rare items rare.

I've always liked the idea of players simply having the ability and freedom to trade with each other, but if this trade ship would allow us to sell our items for the non-gold materials (like grog) that it accepts as currency, then this would be a great alternative/compromise for trading.
Having players get random different items on the list will keep certain items rare also it's not like everyone will have 5k grog for a legendary from the get go. I was thinking the trade ship would arrive every week and stay for 2-3 days.

Having players get random different items on the list will keep certain items rare also it's not like everyone will have 5k grog for a legendary from the get go. I was thinking the trade ship would arrive every week and stay for 2-3 days.
Sure, but players getting random items will inevitably make some pirates feel like they're getting the short end of the stick. I have no problem with it either way personally, but I can already hear it: "c'mon devs I never getting anything goooood"

Also, I think the trade ship visits should be a little less frequent than every week, especially if it stays in port for almost half the week. Otherwise the ship might as well just stick around but get updated like the peddlers.

"For starters, it could feel unfair. Some players will get Silver Freeze and El Patron while others get World Eater and Thunderspine."
Ed, that's exactly what happens every day on tlopo.

There's no need to think one needs compromising with trading. There really isn't any compromising if one has choices. You make a choice you don't make a compromise. You either get what you want, or you wait til next time or trade.

This would be pretty cool if they were all weapons that were native to these supposed salesmen and maybe said weapons could be found at sea. Where would you find grog, though?

Ed, that's exactly what happens every day on tlopo.
That's not "exactly" what happens.

The more RNG based systems that are added to the game, the more unlucky players there will be who feel like they're losing out on what someone else is getting. You do not have to, nor should you, agree with their attitude, but adding another layer or area of randomness to acquire the most sought-after weapons in the game (on top of the loot system, I mean) could lead to as many players getting from the trade ship what they couldn't get from looting as it could lead to players simply getting unlucky with the trade ship's offerings.

In other words, a trade ship with different offerings for each pirate would just be a glorified form of looting, albeit a supplement to traditional looting, rather than proper trading, especially with the trade ship's weapons costing materials obtained through traditional looting. The idea of different weapons for each pirate sort of undermines what I thought was the point of the whole trade ship idea. That would essentially just be giving us extra loot -- or rather, an alternative to the weapons and/or materials we loot but don't want -- in which case we might as well just improve the odds of looting the items that would be included in the trade ship!

tl;dr Why put so much work into adding a trade ship if it's all going to be random like traditional loot anyways?

Just something to consider.

There's no need to think one needs compromising with trading. There really isn't any compromising if one has choices. You make a choice you don't make a compromise. You either get what you want, or you wait til next time or trade.
"There's no need to think..."? What does that even mean? Of course there's no need to think so. There's also no need to think something else. To say one has no need to think a certain way is a very odd way to view a difference of opinion.

Also, you misunderstand me. I said the trade ship could be a compromise for trading (i.e., the feature itself), as in a compromise between the pro- and anit-trading parts of this community, not a compromise between individual in-game trades.

Last edited:
Wow, you even beat Charles Warmonk to sharing a completely pointless and unconstructive anti-trading post. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, Eric, I like you, but please, you don't have to share your stance on trading just for the sake of sharing your stance.

I say this not to start a fight but to prevent more fights over trading.
I was hoping to unite both sides with this idea hopefully it doesn't start a fight.

The more RNG based systems that are added to the game, the more unlucky players there will be who feel like they're losing out on what someone else is getting. You do not have to, nor should you, agree with their attitude, but adding another layer or area of randomness to acquire the most sought-after weapons in the game (on top of the loot system, I mean) could lead to as many players getting from the trade ship what they couldn't get from looting as it could lead to players simply getting unlucky with the trade ship's offerings.

In other words, a trade ship with different offerings for each pirate would just be a glorified form of looting, albeit a supplement to traditional looting, rather than proper trading, especially with the trade ship's weapons costing materials obtained through traditional looting. The idea of different weapons for each pirate sort of undermines what I thought was the point of the whole trade ship idea. That would essentially just be giving us extra loot -- or rather, an alternative to the weapons and/or materials we loot but don't want -- in which case we might as well just improve the odds of looting the items that would be included in the trade ship!

tl;dr Why put so much work into adding a trade ship if it's all going to be random like traditional loot anyways?

"There's no need to think..."? What does that even mean? Of course there's no need to think so. There's also no need to think something else. To say one has no need to think a certain way is a very odd way to view a difference of opinion.

Also, you misunderstand me. I said the trade ship could be a compromise for trading (i.e., the feature itself), as in a compromise between the pro- and anit-trading parts of this community, not a compromise between individual in-game trades.
Ah.

Because it's unbelievable to have an effectively unlimited supply of what's supposed to be rare, famed, or legendary. And this trade ship idea is different from standard looting in that here we would see exactly what the supply of goods is, whereas in looting, there's an element of uncertainty that makes the game more believable.

My point is the game offering another avenue of experience. Again, I think the key word here is CHOICE. You do not have to partake, thus whatever anyone else does or gains isn't yours to be concerned about. YOU will gain at your pace, and choice whenever you like. Joe pirate buying some legendary doesn't take it away from me or others. There's unlimited legendary now and I don't think it matters if you get them from looting containers randomly or take a whack spin the wheel chance on a random trade ship. I suggested random because so many people are anal about being able to control your own inventory and they worry so much about what you do and own.

I struggle every visit on the forums trying to understand peoples subjectivity of this game and how I'm supposed to play and follow their preconceived ideas of personal gain and ideals.

First and foremost, I'm here to beta test, not build my wealth or manage other people.

Wow, you even beat Charles Warmonk to sharing a completely pointless and unconstructive anti-trading post. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, Eric, I like you, but please, you don't have to share your stance on trading just for the sake of sharing your stance.

I say this not to start a fight but to prevent more fights over trading.
Since all the regular contributors to forums stance on trading is well known and yet many new threads continue to appear that are attempting to promote trading and there are no new threads directly against trading we are compelled to automatically make a negative comment, if we didn't then the balance of actual opinion on trading would disappear and it would look as though everyone was for it which is not the case.

i liked the concept at first but this post is just a not-so-subtle way to suggest allowing everyone to buy every legendary in the game rather than looting for them like you are supposed too. would be cooler if it sold unique items that arent legendary instead. in my opinion worse than trading.

we are compelled to automatically make a negative comment, if we didn't then the balance of actual opinion on trading would disappear and it would look as though everyone was for it which is not the case.
Don't worry, the devs aren't going to just forget about anti-trading opinions. And if you don't want the balance of opinion to "disappear," then you'd at least have to share an opinion. Perhaps explain whether you're as opposed to the trade ship idea as pure trading; do you think the trade ship could work in any form or is it no different than pure trading?

Coming to the thread and just saying "no" doesn't do anything. If anything, it just makes the "elootists" look worse.

Don't worry, the devs aren't going to just forget about anti-trading opinions. And if you don't want the balance of opinion to "disappear," then you'd at least have to share an opinion. Perhaps explain whether you're as opposed to the trade ship idea as pure trading; do you think the trade ship could work in any form or is it no different than pure trading?

Coming to the thread and just saying "no" doesn't do anything. If anything, it just makes the "elootists" look worse.
"Elootists" Haven't heard that word in 2 days
But I think that the current system of RNG to get legendaries is fine the way it is and should stay the same. It is both challenging and fair. Thats why most people don't want it to be altered

Back