Discussion Trading. Yes, Trading! (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, if the devs feel like releasing a feature that the game's most enthusiastic players have been begging them not to implement since potco, then more power to them. I'm sure you would all jump at the chance to finally get rid of those nasty elitist looters.
You are hardly the most enthusiastic player if the introduction of trading can get you to quit.

For weapon trading, I guess what I don’t understand is why would people press hard for something (i.e., trading) when indirectly all it is going to do is make it easier for someone to work through the game faster/more efficiently on account of weaker weapons traded for stronger ones (because just about ‘nobody’ is going to want to utilize trading the other way [where stronger is going to be traded for weaker]).

I am not anti-trading. I am concern though about “the bigger picture” and it just seems to me that the more efficiently people are able to play the game the faster they are going to grow bored with it (generally speaking) which, in hindsight, works against TLOPO’s likely vision - I assume - which soughts to retain “player interest” as long as possible.

Am I wrong in saying this? :confused: (Clearly, I am racking my brain trying to understand this issue to where compromise is the goal but, this idea of the game becoming more efficient for everyone to work through [on account of ‘weapon’ trading] I cannot shake). Thoughts?
I think you're assuming that instantly all legendary will be available for every single player. That's just not true. The count of weapons and items each player has will still be what it is today. I only have whisper, and only have seen maybe 10 other people mention it. There's only so much to go around and we will still only be able to get what people are willing to deal for.
And even if I can get two more legendary and I can almost fight more bosses alone, what diff does it make to the next guy. Very few are like Tiberas who enjoys helping new players and goes beyond and above doing it. People get bored regardless how they're helped. Many just make new pirates.

You're not going to trade a weaker for stronger either. Most likely people will barter with other items they need. Actually, I think you just said the same thing anyways. Trade if allowed without burdensome rules to placate elootist and special interest groups will naturally even itself out with value decided by the open market. High gold for a legendary or legendary dagger for a l-sword because people like sets of things.

I have no problem trading a dupe legendary for a different legendary, maybe not even as strong. An unbridled trade market will take care of itself. Again, racking ones brain about outcomes before the subject is even experienced in game is unnecessary energy until the feature is closer to reality.
GL

Last edited:
Hey, if the devs feel like releasing a feature that the game's most enthusiastic players have been begging them not to implement since potco, then more power to them. I'm sure you would all jump at the chance to finally get rid of those nasty elitist looters.
That's ELOOTISTS. Lets use the right terms here. Elite is too lofty a term for grinding rusty cutlasses..
Also, why do you feel you're always being targeted? You're just one of many looters in the game.

excuse me bright yellow is the best
View attachment 112221
I concur.
light yellow.png

It looks bad now because of electric blue same with lavender and magenta, I could even say electric blue makes bright blue look bad.
Bad as in boring? Funny you should say that because my selfish desire is to have a complete electric blue outfit.
darn the beta.

Well it would ruin the game for a lot of people.
I kind of know what you mean Roger, but even if whole lot of people quit because trading destroyed it for them, with new players daily, would they even be missed? Would there be an impact to Tlopo game itself.
I don't think so. So the fear of 'ruining ' it for many people isn't a large enough risk to warrant any action or impair a feature a majority may want to try. The threat of ruining something for "a lot of people" doesn't seem a viable reason on the table against the cause.

Like that avatar by the way. Sharp.

Last edited:
Trading also opens the door to scammers. Friends you trust could even ask to borrow your weapons just to try them out and never give them back.

Trading would open up to a plethora of issues but one that isn't remarked on is that people would just get tired of the game faster. There wouldn't be much incentive to loot even for those who stick around if it is implemented since nothing really has market value. Once you get the Lost Blade of Leviathan through a trade with a close buddy, you're pretty much at the endgame, and an unrewarding-feeling one at that. The only way to counteract is would be add lots of difficult and lengthy quests but a lot of pirates aren't fond of that either. Think of the general consensus to the Black Pearl story quest where even the staff team themselves admitted it was monotonous.

Trading also opens the door to scammers. Friends you trust could even ask to borrow your weapons just to try them out and never give them back.
Then I'd wager they are not your friends. Although, if it's done in trade, he/she isn't borrowing for free I guess. They will still have to give them something for the item. If Tlopo doesn't give us banks to store things in, or guild banks or chests for large inventory storage, then the
impetus to scam isn't really there because it's mostly an immediate action that is done and no auction or bigger market to make money.
GL

I kind of know what you mean Roger, but even if whole lot of people quit because trading destroyed it for them, with new players daily, would they even be missed? Would there be an impact to Tlopo game itself.
I don't think so. So the fear of 'ruining ' it for many people isn't a large enough risk to warrant any action or impair a feature a majority may want to try. The threat of ruining something for a lot of people doesn't seem a viable reason on the table against the cause...
Here’s what I predict will happen: some aspect of trading will eventually be implemented into TLOPO. ***Just my own prediction.

So with what you say above @squintz , there is only one (1) thing I ask. Would you, and possibly others, agree to what I suggest below (seeing how most in ‘favor’ feel so strongly about trading not causing any issues)? Here is what I suggest (aka ‘the terms’):
  • You/others promise to say you were wrong about trading causing issues for TLOPO on the forums (if unfortunately something would happen, no matter what that is)
  • Myself, and anyone else whom feels obligated, will say we were wrong about trading causing issues for TLOPO on the forums (if fortunately nothing ever did)
  • An actual date would be set for this public statement to be made here once trading had it’s fair chance if/when it ever occurred within TLOPO
AGREED/do we have an accord?

Same thing happens every thread. The people who put in a 100+ hours grinding to get their "rare" weapons will throw a temper tantrum that they can't feel special anymore if everyone has cool stuff and the idea dies out until the next person decides they'd like to not have to spend 50+ hours playing this game just to have the one sword they want.
This is a very flawed way of thinking about this subject. Saying they're having a temper tantrum is downright an insult and not constructive.

Looting is a more redeeming feeling than a "special" feeling, you spent your time looting and looting then you finally get a good weapon, why shouldn't you feel redeemed?

Frankly I don't think people want to be redundant giving the same responses in every thread, they're to many for trading. They're very valid reasons for trading to not be implemented, as it defeats the purpose of the only end game POTCO had.

You don't need to spend your day looting to get a good weapon. The only argument that has made any sense for having trading to be in is because people don't have enough time to spend looting and just want that weapon because of irl situations (school, work, etc.)

But where else would you use these weapons? just show them off? pvp? that time could be spent actually getting the weapon you want.

Now onto the cons of implementing it:

It could open up a door to scamming.
Aswell as real world money transactions for in-game items and that would just create more pressure on the team to moderate this.

Taking criticism from both sides, this is very much a double edged sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s what I predict will happen: some aspect of trading will eventually be implemented into TLOPO. ***Just my own prediction.

So with what you say above @squintz , there is only one (1) thing I ask. Would you, and possibly others, agree to what I suggest below (seeing how most in ‘favor’ feel so strongly about trading not causing any issues)? Here is what I suggest (aka ‘the terms’):
  • You/others promise to say you were wrong about trading causing issues for TLOPO on the forums (if unfortunately something would happen, no matter what that is)
  • Myself, and anyone else whom feels obligated, will say we were wrong about trading causing issues for TLOPO on the forums (if fortunately nothing ever did)
  • An actual date would be set for this public statement to be made here once trading had it’s fair chance if/when it ever occurred within TLOPO
No, of course not. What benefit would this have? The trading decision is solely on the developers. People on forums or in game have no real bearing on the outcome of any change by the developers. Asking anyone to take responsibility for an entirely different group who has the sole power for change is completely out of line and regressive to good will on the forums. Admitting right or wrong here is meaningless and only goes to support peoples ego. I'm surprised you came up with something like this.

Should we then single out people who pushed for change all the time with weapons and stats and force them to publicly demean themselves because they felt strongly for something? It's enough that we have a public forum and there's plenty of back in forth including sarcastic comments at each other and we have the freedom to do so, but now you want people to quantify every single idea they publish?

This certainly won't float any ones boat. And shouldn't. In a very rare instance I truly do not agree with you.
GL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back