Discussion Trading. Yes, Trading! (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AGREED/do we have an accord?
No, of course not. What benefit would this have? The trading decision is solely on the developers. People on forums or in game have no real bearing on the outcome of any change by the developers. Asking anyone to take responsibility for an entirely different group who has the sole power for change is completely out of line and regressive to good will on the forums. Admitting right or wrong here is meaningless and only goes to support peoples ego. I'm surprised you came up with something like this.

Should we then single out people who pushed for change all the time with weapons and stats and force them to publicly demean themselves because they felt strongly for something? It's enough that we have a public forum and there's plenty of back in forth including sarcastic comments at each other and we have the freedom to do so, but now you want people to quantify every single idea they publish?

This certainly won't float any ones boat. And shouldn't. In a very rare instance I truly do not agree with you.
GL
If public opinion is not bearing on their decision to implement a feature, then that just shows how little they'd listen to the community. Which is quite detrimental when most MMO's reside on a sturdy community, which makes this a very flawed way of managing a healthy community.

Bad as in it just doesn't look good anymore since we have actual bright colors now.
I see. One might then try to use contrasting colors and shades in combination so they can compliment each other.
Artists use colors like that a lot, so if everything is super bright it just smashes you in the face and almost blurs everything into one. If I wear all my electric blue it looks like a glowing neon motel sign. But, clothing and art have no real rules. I'll keep some dark stuff around just in case.
Then again, what the heck is dark black?

Same thing happens every thread. The people who put in a 100+ hours grinding to get their "rare" weapons will throw a temper tantrum that they can't feel special anymore if everyone has cool stuff and the idea dies out until the next person decides they'd like to not have to spend 50+ hours playing this game just to have the one sword they want.
Agree, a lot like the Incredibles and that sidekick guy who said if everyone is super, no one is super.

If public opinion is not bearing on their decision to implement a feature, then that just shows how little they'd listen to the community. Which is quite detrimental when most MMO's reside on a sturdy community, which makes this a very flawed way of managing a healthy community.
I should clarify, the community has input by way of communication like this forum or in-game contact. It's the developers who have final say and do the code. No one else on the forums is held responsible for their suggestions and comments, why would it be proper now to suddenly force that on people, no matter what their sentiment. And only this topic? Sorry, that's how dictators think. If someone wants a personal agreement like that, then every single person who posts on this forum should always have a full disclosure after every post. Ludicrous.

AGREED/do we have an accord?
No, of course not... I'm surprised you came up with something like this...
What can I say? I am a Brute; I say what needs to be said and...I say things at the expense of being publicly “liked.” Most people hold this against me. *I really don’t care anymore because at least I am saying things with the best intention at heart (rather than the opposite or ‘hiding’ behind the cloak_ or _shroud of silence). As such, I’ve got one last thing to say.

My idea that you are referencing to, that I tried to offer, it was a fair way of each of us backing our words/feelings up with action. If pirates here take the time to log on and to consquently express outright passion about something (by contributing to thread after thread about the same topic-of-discussion), I see no harm with anyone backing up those same words with ACTION. Doing so just shows how sincere we believed truly in something. After all, we took the time to address so strongly an opinion...why not “man” up too once an outcome of what we believe didn’t quite go the way we had hoped? It just makes sense to approach the very audience we purposely tried to influence to say that we/me/you/others were wrong with our own calculations.

I am a Brute and I become cranky at times. But my OWN intention (first and foremost) is to try and become a pirate of action. Is is my hope that perhaps you and others might feel that way too. If it helps you to know @squintz, I had to eat my own words too but...nobody yet has come after me with pitchforks! Don’t let pride get in the way of setting things right - in the end.

Have any of you played real MMOs with warehouse systems, various materials, complex crafting systems, basic trading, and a marketplace where the lucrative trading *occurs?

Are you familiar with the concept of item binding and bound items? Or that certain market restrictions/rules can be set?

It would be the best thing to happen to the game, and a huge step towards turning TLOPO into a real mmo.

Last edited:
Have any of you played real MMOs with warehouse systems, various materials, complex crafting systems, basic trading, and a marketplace where the lucrative trading occur?

Are you familiar with the concept of item binding and bound items? Or that certain market restrictions/rules can be set?

It would be the best thing to happen to the game, and a huge step towards turning TLOPO into a real mmo.
I'm sure a good majority of people understand this, World of Warcraft does all of this, suffice to say I was quite a wow addict at one point.

The points i brought up previously all apply to WoW and on a decently large scale, and as a game that never had theses systems (potco) these issues never had to be dealt with.

It's indefinitely a double-edged sword and an incredible deterrent for not only anti-traders; but people who are also pro-trading.

Simply put, if you use trading just because you want said weapon and have no intention of using your time playing the game and looting with the already
minimal content that POTCO had, you really don't have much to do outside of: Potions, Fishing, Blackjack, Poker, Privateering, Leveling up(If you aren't already maxed)

Looting is an essential part of potco's end-game, that is indisputable. Also when you say real MMO, POTCO(or TLOPO) already meet the literal definition of an MMO, so i'm not sure what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say? I am a Brute; I say what needs to be said and...I say things at the expense of being publicly “liked.” Most people hold this against me. *I really don’t care anymore because at least I am saying things with the best intention at heart (rather than the opposite or ‘hiding’ behind the cloak_ or _shroud of silence). As such, I’ve got one last thing to say.

My idea that you are referencing to, that I tried to offer, it was a fair way of each of us backing our words/feelings up with action. If pirates here take the time to log on and to consquently express outright passion about something (by contributing to thread after thread about the same topic-of-discussion), I see no harm with anyone backing up those same words with ACTION. Doing so just shows how sincere we believed truly in something. After all, we took the time to address so strongly an opinion...why not “man” up too once an outcome of what we believe didn’t quite go the way we had hoped? It just makes sense to approach the very audience we purposely tried to influence to say that we/me/you/others were wrong with our own calculations.

I am a Brute and I become cranky at times. But my OWN intention (first and foremost) is to try and become a pirate of action. Is is my hope that perhaps you and others might feel that way too. If it helps you to know @squintz, I had to eat my own words too but...nobody yet has come after me with pitchforks! Don’t let pride get in the way of setting things right - in the end.
Thank you for the honest response. I don't understand what kind of action I can take with something I have no control over in the first place.
We're not talking real life here where I see a crime and act upon it. I would, and not stand there holding a phone while someone is needing help.
I can't 'man' up to something I didn't create. Both sides defend themselves. And putting yourself in this situation that believing you have some sort of responsibility to shoulder some sort of burden that no one has asked you to in the first place and then request others to follow an example that needn't be made, is, well, not needed. Are you and I supposed to now become some sort of bastion of integrity to all others just because we have strong ideas and comments to a community that I feel for the most part couldn't care less what anyone really thinks.

And seriously, why should they. There's nothing special about you and I, there's no reason to make this issue bigger or more important than it is.
Because it's a pirate forum board. Not the United States constitution committee voting on a supreme court judge or anything.
I really respect your dedication to a game and forum but I see no action to take.
I'll just keep agreeing and disagreeing and tell people why I like their posts and tell people they are full of crap. If that's okay.
That's why there's forum mods here, to keep us all from getting too full of crap.
Have a nice night Shamus.

Last edited:
I'm sure a good majority of people understand this, World of Warcraft does all of this, suffice to say I was quite a wow addict at one point.

The points i brought up previously all apply to WoW and on a decently large scale, and as a game that never had theses systems (potco) these issues never had to be dealt with.

It's indefinitely a double-edged sword and an incredible deterrent for not only anti-traders but people who are pro-trading,
cause if you use trading just because you want said weapon and have no intention of using your time playing the game looting with the already
minimal content that POTCO had, you really don't have much to do outside of: Potions, Fishing, Blackjack, Poker, Privateering, Leveling up(If you aren't already maxed)

Looting is an essential part of potco's end-game, that is indisputable. Also when you say real MMO, POTCO(or TLOPO) already meet the literal definition of an MMO, so i'm not sure what you mean.
It's indefinitely a double-edged sword and an incredible deterrent for not only anti-traders but people who are pro-trading,
cause if you use trading just because you want said weapon and have no intention of using your time playing the game looting with the already

@internetpirate
No disrespect Inter. Actually, your looting and doing whatever you want to do never interacts with my game...at all. Thus I don't believe what I want to do should even cross your mind. Or even be your business. Nothing I do in game is a deterrent to another unless they want to worry about what I have. It's a non issue with me. Why is that so hard to understand. People choose to get involved with other people to loot, guild party etc.
If I choose to trade or play the game the way I want because the game allows me to, is none of your business. I can go a whole year in game and never ever see your pirate. Should I seriously be concerned you may have more legendary than me?
GL

@internetpirate
No disrespect Inter. Actually, your looting and doing whatever you want to do never interacts with my game...at all. Thus I don't believe what I want to do should even cross your mind. Or even be your business. Nothing I do in game is a deterrent to another unless they want to worry about what I have. It's a non issue with me. Why is that so hard to understand. People choose to get involved with other people to loot, guild party etc.
If I choose to trade or play the game the way I want because the game allows me to, is none of your business. I can go a whole year in game and never ever see your pirate. Should I seriously be concerned you may have more legendary than me?
GL
I don't recall mentioning your name, so i'm unsure what point this "argument" you're trying to make is. Frankly the only other decent reasoning for implementing trading is to give a close friend or guild mate one of your duplicates. It's none of my concern what you do in-game, i'm providing logical reasoning as to why trading should or should not be implemented, at this point i see more pro's for why it shouldn't be implemented than pro's for why it should be implemented. Also i don't understand why you're saying "Should I seriously be concerned you may have more legendary than me?" because the very obvious answer is no, i don't care what legendary people have nor should you or anyone else, still that's your choice not mine. I seriously feel like you didn't understand what i said because the following statement you made "Nothing I do in game is a deterrent to another unless" had absolutely no correlation to the message i was trying to provide.

I don't recall mentioning your name, so i'm unsure what point this "argument" you're trying to make is. Frankly the only other decent reasoning for implementing trading is to give a close friend or guild mate one of your duplicates. It's none of my concern what you do in-game, i'm providing logical reasoning as to why trading should or should not be implemented, at this point i see more pro's for why it shouldn't be implemented than pro's for why it should be implemented. Also i don't understand why you're saying "Should I seriously be concerned you may have more legendary than me?" because the very obvious answer is no, i don't care what legendary people have nor should you or anyone else, still that's your choice not mine. I seriously feel like you didn't understand what i said because the following statement you made "Nothing I do in game is a deterrent to another unless" had absolutely no correlation to the message i was trying to provide.
No you weren't inferring me, I just commented on what I quoted and I'll quote it again to try to explain where I came from;
"It's indefinitely a double-edged sword and an incredible deterrent for not only anti-traders; but people who are also pro-trading."
You say 'incredible deterrent', but this implies someone is stopping you from doing something. What are you or I doing to each other to stop us from doing something? And then the qualifier?-
"Cause if you use trading just because you want said weapon and have no intention of using your time playing the game..."
This is the statement that I debated about where you are clearly injecting your own preconceived ideas on how I should play the game.
You or anyone else as a in game player has no right to tell me what my intent is on how I approach the game. That's my point.

Many people for trading have only suggested ideas for trading and why it may be a good idea. Just about everyone against trading has come to the forum boards and turned their comments personal and comment on why we shouldn't do things and what we should be doing instead.

Pro trade supporters aren't telling people what to do.

GL

No you weren't inferring me, I just commented on what I quoted and I'll quote it again to try to explain where I came from;
"It's indefinitely a double-edged sword and an incredible deterrent for not only anti-traders; but people who are also pro-trading."
You say 'incredible deterrent', but this implies someone is stopping you from doing something. What are you or I doing to each other to stop us from doing something? And then the qualifier?-
"Cause if you use trading just because you want said weapon and have no intention of using your time playing the game..."
This is the statement that I debated about where you are clearly injecting your own preconceived ideas on how I should play the game.
You or anyone else as a in game player has no right to tell me what my intent is on how I approach the game. That's my point.

Many people for trading have only suggested ideas for trading and why it may be a good idea. Just about everyone against trading has come to the forum boards and turned their comments personal and comment on why we shouldn't do things and what we should be doing instead.

Pro trade supporters aren't telling people what to do.

GL
To start off, none of my posts have been personally charged and have been a direct attempt at seeing it from both sides and providing constructive criticism to both.

They're not many ways you can actually use the weapon of your desire that comes from looting that doesn't constitute looting, the only thing i can think of is pvp and showing off your legendaries.

What i meant when i said "incredible deterrent" is that people will have one less reason to get on the game with the already minimal reasonings and if time is a concern with looting then i don't anticipate the people with those time constraints spending much time elsewhere.

"Pro trade supporters aren't telling people what to do." like i said, neither am I. As i said firstly, I'm trying to see this from both sides, and i don't see anyone else telling other people what to do.

If a level 34 loots Leviathan do they quit the game? Because a month or two ago two level 34's looted it.
The only two people I can think of off the top of my head that quit playing (heavily reduced) are Charles Warmonk and Thomas Daggerbones who played endlessly looting for a weapon they never got.

What if there was a system that once you got a specific legendary in your inventory, it would no longer be lootable? Like when you have max potions, you no longer loot them. That would fix the "I spend 4 months of my life clicking at Palifico and all I got is 3 silver freeze and an el patron [great luck from the perspective of many players]." There is another player that got 6 legends and they were el patron and 5 silver freeze. That is the scenario fixed with trading theoretically right? I could trade Silver Freeze and Patron to someone for Onyx or whatever? Or Misha getting three copies of the Watcher's doll. What if you just stop being able to get duplicate legends? What's the downside you loot everything you want and feel accomplished and make a second pirate? What person is trading their Barracuda for Leviathan and then getting bored and quitting? Who is the other party making that trade? Scamming will happen in a game regardless with password sharing, so that isn't an exclusive issue added by trading. Trading fails in that the second party probably doesn't exist to make the trade, that or you log on with 3 accounts and funnel all the good stuff to your main account. That is an exploit. However... making duplicates not lootable (like max potions works, so if you trash your Patron you can get another) seems to solve the root issue right? Tie that concept with an earnable legend like Silver Striker and everyone has the opportunity with hard work to enjoy a legend, and many times the legend they want most.

Have any of you played real MMOs with warehouse systems, various materials, complex crafting systems, basic trading, and a marketplace where the lucrative trading occur?

I've made a lot of good, hard cash "trading", so yeah, I hear ya!
PayPal, I loves ya!

If a level 34 loots Leviathan do they quit the game? Because a month or two ago two level 34's looted it.
The only two people I can think of off the top of my head that quit playing (heavily reduced) are Charles Warmonk and Thomas Daggerbones who played endlessly looting for a weapon they never got.

What if there was a system that once you got a specific legendary in your inventory, it would no longer be lootable? Like when you have max potions, you no longer loot them. That would fix the "I spend 4 months of my life clicking at Palifico and all I got is 3 silver freeze and an el patron [great luck from the perspective of many players]." There is another player that got 6 legends and they were el patron and 5 silver freeze. That is the scenario fixed with trading theoretically right? I could trade Silver Freeze and Patron to someone for Onyx or whatever? Or Misha getting three copies of the Watcher's doll. What if you just stop being able to get duplicate legends? What's the downside you loot everything you want and feel accomplished and make a second pirate? What person is trading their Barracuda for Leviathan and then getting bored and quitting? Who is the other party making that trade? Scamming will happen in a game regardless with password sharing, so that isn't an exclusive issue added by trading. Trading fails in that the second party probably doesn't exist to make the trade, that or you log on with 3 accounts and funnel all the good stuff to your main account. That is an exploit. However... making duplicates not lootable (like max potions works, so if you trash your Patron you can get another) seems to solve the root issue right? Tie that concept with an earnable legend like Silver Striker and everyone has the opportunity with hard work to enjoy a legend, and many times the legend they want most.
I doubt someone would trade Onyx for a Silver Freeze and El Patron, however that's not my decision(More power to ya!)

I see what you mean by trading another famed/legendary for another, however it still has most of the previous implications(Scamming, Real World Trading, Deteriorating desire to play the game)

It depends on the person really but if it comes to the point where that person only wants to trade those weapons due to their personal irl constraints with time, then i don't see why they would want it in the first place because they wouldn't really play much outside of pvp that would require them to use that weapon.

Also "Scamming will happen in a game regardless with password sharing, so that isn't an exclusive issue added by trading" is entirely false, not many people aren't willing to give out their passwords but would be willing to trade, and saying that it's inevitable is essentially pleading ignorance to an issue that is increasingly prevalent (just because it's prevalent in of itself!)

There are pirates that share accounts and have had their stuff deleted. Wouldn't happen to me as that isn't something I am interested in, but scamming does exist. (Hey we are friends and have been for a month want me to fight darkhart to get jack sparrows for you and I get to use Thudnerspine for a while? Then they log back on and it's deleted. I know one prate that has that situation and have seen it discussed running places by others [or maybe the same guy but different account]). Scamming accounts already exists, saying Ill trade you this for that and trade back in a month will just increase scams not make them newly present.

Hard to write code to prevent human neglect on access to their accounts. Please explain what this has to do with trading as an in-game feature. Sounds more like a social issue to me.

Currently some number of players "trade" by sharing passwords (I want to use X and you want to use Y lets swap accounts to try them out). Actual in game trading or not the issue of scamming exists. I am not involved in that, but I know of people who have and who have as a result had their stuff trashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back