Loot Why The (New) Legendary Cursed So Rare? (Solution?)

What solution do you think the TLOPO team should make?

• Solution 1

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Solution 2

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Solution 3

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 total. Two krakenslayers. But yes, they’re too difficult to find and it isn’t even a challenge anymore, it’s more like a myth, and I feel like a lot of people have dropped out of the race because of it.

I thought only one person has found it, where'd you see the second? In the OG thread it was one person but two different pics of the sword.

And yeah, by no means am I complaining but at this point everyone I know other than myself and a few others have pretty much stopped looking for them. I'm all in favor in making aspects of this game challenging (and I think it's a good idea to make some legendaries very hard to get) but if no one is even trying anymore than I think something can be done. I still think there's a middle ground to where people are still actively looking for them and it's not an unused update to the game.

The whole idea behind these new legendarys is that they are rare and not everyone and his brother will soon have them. So many items in tlopo are far more common than they were in potco that the game needed an influx of rare top end items. It took JFR 3 years to loot all 5 cursed legendarys in potco but here in tlopo there have been reports of ppl getting 3 in the first month and even 2 in the same day. Having something added to the game that few will ever get has upset some people but I see it as a return to how things ought to be.

The whole idea behind these new legendarys is that they are rare and not everyone and his brother will soon have them. So many items in tlopo are far more common than they were in potco that the game needed an influx of rare top end items. It took JFR 3 years to loot all 5 cursed legendarys in potco but here in tlopo there have been reports of ppl getting 3 in the first month and even 2 in the same day. Having something added to the game that few will ever get has upset some people but I see it as a return to how things ought to be.

I'm all for that and agree with you. But there's a difference between having something that's hard to get and what we seem to have here where no one is really trying to find them. Having legendaries that a lot of people don't have because they are hard to acquire is different than nobody having them because no one is even trying. If 2 are found in three months, at this rate it would take over 10 months to find them all. In a FTP game that is a recreation of a closed game, I think that doesn't make a lot of sense. And the people I know that looted all of them or 4 of them didn't loot hardcore all three years. I got five (with two dupes) in the two years I spent seriously looting, with lots of breaks from the game in between. My point is that I am a definite yes on having weapons be harder to loot, but I think there should be somewhat of a fix so that people are encouraged to start looting the bosses again. I suppose that isn't necessarily TLOPO's fault that people don't want to/aren't able to put in the time, and it is truly a reward for those that have them... but this game is based around a core group that have been with pirates for a long long time and most don't have the time anymore to loot what would be required to find one. If the boss drop rate was increased so that skulls (and famed/famed cursed) were a little easier to get, I'm sure that would drive people back to them.

I'm all for that and agree with you. But there's a difference between having something that's hard to get and what we seem to have here where no one is really trying to find them. Having legendaries that a lot of people don't have because they are hard to acquire is different than nobody having them because no one is even trying. If 2 are found in three months, at this rate it would take over 10 months to find them all. In a FTP game that is a recreation of a closed game, I think that doesn't make a lot of sense. And the people I know that looted all of them or 4 of them didn't loot hardcore all three years. I got five (with two dupes) in the two years I spent seriously looting, with lots of breaks from the game in between. My point is that I am a definite yes on having weapons be harder to loot, but I think there should be somewhat of a fix so that people are encouraged to start looting the bosses again. I suppose that isn't necessarily TLOPO's fault that people don't want to/aren't able to put in the time, and it is truly a reward for those that have them... but this game is based around a core group that have been with pirates for a long long time and most don't have the time anymore to loot what would be required to find one. If the boss drop rate was increased so that skulls (and famed/famed cursed) were a little easier to get, I'm sure that would drive people back to them.
I definitely agree that there is a problem with bosses. I see the problem as being separate from the issue of how often they drop the new legendarys though. It's possible that the boss issue and the over production of what were rare weapons are related. Bosses seem to pretty much drop the same level of loot as regular enemies of the same level even though they are much more difficult to kill, this was not the case in potco. If that's true, did the developers increase the drop rate of rare items to compensate for the bosses not working right ? It's certain that poor loot has made bosses unpopular.

I definitely agree that there is a problem with bosses. I see the problem as being separate from the issue of how often they drop the new legendarys though. It's possible that the boss issue and the over production of what were rare weapons are related. Bosses seem to pretty much drop the same level of loot as regular enemies of the same level even though they are much more difficult to kill, this was not the case in potco. If that's true, did the developers increase the drop rate of rare items to compensate for the bosses not working right ? It's certain that poor loot has made bosses unpopular.
It has to be a combination of factors for loot and the difficulty there of. Like how often do bosses even drop skulls where we expect worthy loot? I've been counting boss kills lately and 'legs' is averaging a skull drop over 70 times in a row. Sometimes he goes to 165 before dropping a skull. This has been pretty consistent. All the bosses, maybe except the twins have real long droughts between drops most the times. Combine a low skull drop rate, plus item randomness of items in the containers and we have a more difficult chance of legendary perhaps.

And what happened to the mystery of the hints. Did everyone give up on that? Unfortunately, so many people misquoted the hints that there's a mass of theories out there.

It has to be a combination of factors for loot and the difficulty there of. Like how often do bosses even drop skulls where we expect worthy loot? I've been counting boss kills lately and 'legs' is averaging a skull drop over 70 times in a row. Sometimes he goes to 165 before dropping a skull. This has been pretty consistent. All the bosses, maybe except the twins have real long droughts between drops most the times. Combine a low skull drop rate, plus item randomness of items in the containers and we have a more difficult chance of legendary perhaps.

And what happened to the mystery of the hints. Did everyone give up on that? Unfortunately, so many people misquoted the hints that there's a mass of theories out there.
I think most people believe that the clue simply points to six bosses being the only source of the six new legendaries. Exactly what the exception means is more open to debate, many think it points to the Twins dropping only 1 and Cicatriz dropping the other but I don't personally think that. In the end I'm convinced that the 4 individual bosses on Tormenta are the sole source of 4 of the blades and think the mystery of the remaining 2 will eventually come out but I'm not in a rush to solve that. I think that the mystery really turned out to be mostly hype and that on opening day of Forsaken Shallows everyone was looting the bosses and they were right to do so. It got people so worked up and senselessly looking for an easy way to get legendaries even though it turns out their drop rate is lower than for other legendaries. I tend to think that the whole way bosses drop loot needs rethinking to bring it more in line with the way they were in potco and the new bosses and their associated legendaries is really complicating that.

I don't have a problem with the drop rate of skulls it's what's in the skulls. Looting for hours and no legendary is kinda outrageous and yes you realize that they are not even in the game. They are probably placed in-game once a month so looting days on days for hours is pointless. Yes morale is low even though the places like the Forsaken Shallows rock since they are difficult and fun. Without the loot pointless so it's empty most of the time. Bosses all fun to take down but then you realize ........no great loot..........no legendary.......why the heck am I here. Even the Gold Room legendary drop rate seems to have decreased. With no reward not fun . I am so sick of famed...........need and work for hours for Legendary....but none appear lol. When odds are 20 million to 1 people stop playing because their is no hope of finding anything great.

Last edited:
Firstly, I want to make it CLEAR that this thread is NOT about "How to find the new Legendary Cursed" or "Do the new Legendary even drop?"

This thread is addressing why Boss' Loot Drop Rate (Meaning the rate of SKULLS) is the cause of the new Legendary Cursed not being found. It is NOT the drop rate of the new Legendary Cursed at fault. (Which if you did not know was buffed in update v1.12.2)​

The Problem: What I believe the TLOPO team overlooked in this update which is causing so much 'stress' and 'doubt'. Is that boss loot drop rate. (Which I will remind you is the rate of skull, not what is 'inside' them.) is CLEARLY the same as your normal "Red Tag" enemy. This has been a known problem since the release of TLOPO [Beta]. This means, if you are farming a Gold Room with siege. You have 4x the chances of finding a skull that can drop a legendary cursed than a boss (Which is normally 1, with the exception of Drizzel and Drench) This brings the problem that each of the 6 new legendary cursed are FOUR TIMES more rare than a normal LEGENDARY CURSED.

Now, instead of 'trashing' the idea the TLOPO team has suggested and given to us like wild loot elitist.
(That is addressing myself btw...) Let's discuss reasonable solution to this 'problem' without telling the development team to just "Trash the Boss idea"

Possible solutions:

Solution 1.)
Increase the rate in which skulls and loot chests are dropped for boss level enemies.
- This would make boss' drop a higher amount of chests and skulls. Instead of having it the same as your average red tag enemy.

Solution 2.) Boss' ALWAYS drop loot.
- How many times have you SLOWLY killed a 50,000 hp boss.... and it didn't drop a single pouch? This will increase the drop rate by making drop rate fixed. Making them ALWAYS drop at least, a pouch.

Solution 3.) Boss' ALWAYS drop loot & NEVER drop pouches.
- This is really if all else fails type solution... This will not only 100% the odds of loot, but ALWAYS give you a loot chest or skull. (If you did not know, you CAN loot Legendary Cursed in chest. It is just very rare.)

So this is my ideas of why the new update is upsetting so many people. I do want to stress once again... THIS IS NOT THE DEVELOPMENT TEAMS FAULT. This new area with the boss' being the only enemies who drop new Legendary Cursed is a fine new mix up for the community, and I truly appreciate all they do and have worked on to give us this opportunity to loot different for nothing less than NEW LEGENDARY! So as a [Beta] tester I am trying to give them as much respectful feedback as I can. So please keep this in mind when not only responding to this forums post, but in general.
Solution 1.) Increase the rate in which skulls and loot chests are dropped for boss level enemies.
- This would make boss' drop a higher amount of chests and skulls. Instead of having it the same as your average red tag enemy.

Apparently the devs liked solution one.

A little too easy, I'd say. 1 a month seems a shade too many, maybe cut it down to 5 a year?
I tend to look back at topics and see different slants again. I'm not sure of your lifestyle, but I would think a large percentage of players aren't kids any more since the potco days, and actually are adults with jobs and maybe new families. What you're suggesting Eric, would make the causal tlopo player perhaps NEVER find a legendary given the lack of time to play. I like the the apparent increase in skull and regular chests for better loot more often. The legendary ratio seems unchanged even with the increased skull drops. I've been beta testing for a year now, and never found a legendary. How do you think it makes one feel when it's suggested that a legendary drops only twice a year? That means if I miss a day it's in game I'm done for another year? Not only is this unrealistic, that kind of rotation could be a game killer loot wise.
The other thing that's nagging me is how weak legendary weapons are for actual usage. I think once one has a legendary, one should be able to go toe to toe with a boss using your legendary and defeat them with some work and technique since you come close with weapon power.
Even level 50 with a high fame may not defeat a good boss. But with a decent legendary, you should get in the ballpark.

I tend to look back at topics and see different slants again. I'm not sure of your lifestyle, but I would think a large percentage of players aren't kids any more since the potco days, and actually are adults with jobs and maybe new families. What you're suggesting Eric, would make the causal tlopo player perhaps NEVER find a legendary given the lack of time to play. I like the the apparent increase in skull and regular chests for better loot more often. The legendary ratio seems unchanged even with the increased skull drops. I've been beta testing for a year now, and never found a legendary. How do you think it makes one feel when it's suggested that a legendary drops only twice a year? That means if I miss a day it's in game I'm done for another year? Not only is this unrealistic, that kind of rotation could be a game killer loot wise.
The other thing that's nagging me is how weak legendary weapons are for actual usage. I think once one has a legendary, one should be able to go toe to toe with a boss using your legendary and defeat them with some work and technique since you come close with weapon power.
Even level 50 with a high fame may not defeat a good boss. But with a decent legendary, you should get in the ballpark.
You do, I can defeat any boss solo. I admit Palifico is tough but I've soloed him occasionally, he's so slow that way as to be not worth it. My view is that if you get everything then there's no reason to loot so the very best items should be very hard to get thus maintaining top looters interest. I feel the top items should be for the best and most dedicated players and average players should only get such items by luck. By the way, I am an adult who started playing potco when I saw my son playing it, he's 22 now and occasionally comes on and plays, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back