Discussion AFK Pirates on ships is becoming a real problem.

Should captains be able to kick pirates off their ship outside of SvS?

• Yes

Votes: 72 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters

DanceWithTheDevil

Wanted Pirate
It has been no secret that pirates like to go afk on ships and collect the loot while doing other things. This has been basically the main argument for adding the ability to kick pirates from your ship, but it has been getting worse and worse. Today, I encountered the worse I have seen, which I have screenshots of below. Every public mat run I have been on today, with the exception of one, has had FIVE afk level 1 pirates (or rather 4 level 1s and a level 2) sitting on the ship. Heck, one of the runs the ship had 14 out of 12 pirates on the ship! I understand that there is a point where more people won't do much for your ship, but why do we do literally nothing about it and let people do this? This isn't an example of people going afk for a second because they had something in real life come up, this is someone that has made 5 pirates, or 5 people that have made alts, taking up half the ship doing nothing at level 1 so they can get a head start on materials at the expense of others for when they decide to work on said pirate.

I urge the team to once again consider letting pirates kick other pirates off their ship. The trolling argument is the only one I've seen against it and frankly it is a weak argument fueled by paranoia.

screenshot_2017-11-02_16-26-21.jpg
screenshot_2017-11-02_16-26-48.jpg

The problem with this sort of thing is that normally a captain will favor one side of the ship for combat, so everyone will pile up on one side of cannons and anybody on the other side isn't going to be doing much. Since normally ship capacity is twice the number of cannons on one side (or capacity = cannons + steering wheel) it kind of leaves a lot of people who can't do much other than stand around or repair occasionally.

That being said, it's definitely a problem that we should try to find a solution for. It might just be the captain's responsibility to turn off public boarding once the cannons on one side are filled if they don't like freeloaders. It's a discussion worth having though.

The problem with this sort of thing is that normally a captain will favor one side of the ship for combat, so everyone will pile up on one side of cannons and anybody on the other side isn't going to be doing much. Since normally ship capacity is twice the number of cannons on one side (or capacity = cannons + steering wheel) it kind of leaves a lot of people who can't do much other than stand around or repair occasionally.

That being said, it's definitely a problem that we should try to find a solution for. It might just be the captain's responsibility to turn off public boarding once the cannons on one side are filled if they don't like freeloaders. It's a discussion worth having though.
I don't think we should put the blame on the captain for having his ship public. There are certainly situations where there can be gunners on both sides shooting at ships and the option to have that shouldn't be ruined by people like this.

Kicking is not fair. A capn might kick the entire crew. This has been discussed myriad times already.
I have posited the suggestion that a capn have the power to ban any player they see fit from boarding their ships instead.
Since a capn can already control who boards, to a certain extent; allowing or excluding friends, guild, crew or the public in general, - this added feature of individually banning certain pirates gives a capn more control over what type of pirates and/or parasites they want populating/infesting their ships.
A capn spots a notorious AFK pirate, he or she can simply ban them from boarding IN THE FUTURE. The pirate in question will still stay on the ship until it ports, not losing any loot, etc, but cannot board the ship in question again, until the capn lifts the ban.
A simple, fair-minded solution to the chronic, game-ruining challenges we pirates face.
Savor it!

Kicking is not fair. A capn might kick the entire crew. This has been discussed myriad times already.
I have posited the suggestion that a capn have the power to ban any player they see fit from boarding their ships instead.
Since a capn can already control who boards, to a certain extent; allowing or excluding friends, guild, crew or the public in general, - this added feature of individually banning certain pirates gives a capn more control over what type of pirates and/or parasites they want populating/infesting their ships.
A capn spots a notorious AFK pirate, he or she can simply ban them from boarding IN THE FUTURE. The pirate in question will still stay on the ship until it ports, not losing any loot, etc, but cannot board the ship in question again, until the capn lifts the ban.
A simple, fair-minded solution to the chronic, game-ruining challenges we pirates face.
Savor it!
What reason has a captain for kicking an entire crew? All they will do is cause people to not board their ship anymore, making it harder for them to get a crew. I like the ban idea but I don't understand why people are convinced others will use every opportunity to kick everyone off their ship. The community for the most part is a positive and nice community and it isn't hard to avoid those that you know troll.

What reason has a captain for kicking an entire crew? All they will do is cause people to not board their ship anymore, making it harder for them to get a crew. I like the ban idea but I don't understand why people are convinced others will use every opportunity to kick everyone off their ship. The community for the most part is a positive and nice community and it isn't hard to avoid those that you know troll.
I'm not in the mind of anyone who does that sort of thing. Suffice to say that as an option, people tend to do it. Perhaps it's an ill-fated attempt at seeking attention, or perhaps the thrill of it all, or maybe just to be trolls. Who can say. Suffice to say that it happens and the boot option more than likely will never be implemented.
You either modify your strategy and come up with another solution, or you don't.

Savor it!

I like the ban idea too! It seems like it would be really effective. I also agree that captains being able to kick people from their ship isn't a perfect solution. However, something does need to be done, so I'm still pro implementing it. We can work out the imperfections when the problem at hand (afkers) is fixed, or at the very least, reduced.

First Issue Is being on a Public ship , If you don't like that then get a crew and do your run , simplicity solved ! If you're the Capt then you can Chose who's allowed !

Could these level 1's be someone's alts?!! I know that I usually always have my alt with me on my runs, but I can also repair and steer both at the same time if I have too...

Could these level 1's be someone's alts?!! I know that I usually always have my alt with me on my runs, but I can also repair and steer both at the same time if I have too...

It's highly unlikely you will be able to do both. Most people who brought alt sometimes afk themselves too.

An inactivity timer wouldn't be such a bad idea. Since it also reduces server load and in turn allow for other people who do want to play with their friends.

It's highly unlikely you will be able to do both. Most people who brought alt sometimes afk themselves too.

Actually Sir, It is very likely, and It is very easy to do. Id like to know how I go AFK steering my own ship, and those who do bring alts on my ship, ALL of them are active on one or the other. Just as I am active on one or the other, when I bring my alt to some one elses ship.
I will accept a few people could be afk on both accts although I have never come across this myself. Have you met every single person in game that run alts, to properly state MOST of them are inactive on both???

Well they didn't move for the entire run and by the end were "asleep" with the afk symbol over their head, so no, they didn't do anything. They weren't the captain's alts because I saw those same pirates on multiple different runs on multiple different ships.

Well they didn't move for the entire run and by the end were "asleep" with the afk symbol over their head, so no, they didn't do anything. They weren't the captain's alts because I saw those same pirates on multiple different runs on multiple different ships.

Usually alts are in the same guild too. Or that's what I have seen. But to me Phelle seems to be unreasonable and has little interest in fixing the problem.

I've seen a raise of afk pirates since the cheat out of jail time with the card game glitch. Where you could have the pc win bets for you and earn double.

First Issue Is being on a Public ship , If you don't like that then get a crew and do your run , simplicity solved ! If you're the Capt then you can Chose who's allowed !
Another person arguing that AFK pirates aboard ships is the captains fault -_- A lot of people (myself included) open their ship to public, to find new pirates to interact with, and bring along for future runs, thus the solution you provided, just closing the ship, and calling on friends, can't always work, because pirates may not have enough friends. Why is it the popular thing to blame captains for the laziness and wrongdoing of others?

Another person arguing that AFK pirates aboard ships is the captains fault -_- A lot of people (myself included) open their ship to public, to find new pirates to interact with, and bring along for future runs, thus the solution you provided, just closing the ship, and calling on friends, can't always work, because pirates may not have enough friends. Why is it the popular thing to blame captains for the laziness and wrongdoing of others?

I got this hunch because they maybe liberally make use of this themselves.

But to me Phelle seems to be unreasonable and has little interest in fixing the problem.

LOL Fixing what problem??? Tell me please and I will help..I do not see it as a "Problem" I see that it can be an inconveince, but a problem, no I dont see that..

Where you could have the pc win bets for you and earn double.
Its obvious that you know alot about this, what are you doing to solve this "Problem:? or is this not your concern?? Never even knew this was an issue, I had to play poker the other day in hallowed woods, and I think I cheated the game by bringing my alt in to stand behind me and heal me.. I will go stand in the jail now. And do you also know that phelle and her alts, randomly jump on public ships, repair and jump right back off??? Hmmm so maybe you dont know phelle at all ....

EDIT I stand corrected.. Was just reminded that a friend in game had experienced this Poker Bug, and his solution to this was to actually report it to the Devs. and not exploit that further. And why would I need to play poker. what do I win Gold? I think I have plenty of that, just from looting questing and sailing, Now if that poker game gave away Iron and pine??? You may find me at the tables more often.. *** SARCASM***, But hey -- mat vending machines?? So again what did you do when you learned of this exploit?? I can only assume you did not think it fair that anyone benefit and gain goods that they did not earn, and I can only assume you reported it as well???

Well im off to have fun leveling with double xp, and you never know, we may meet in game if you are open to public and I happen to see your ship is in need of repairs. Have a great day

Last edited:
LOL Fixing what problem??? Tell me please and I will help..I do not see it as a "Problem" I see that it can be an inconveince, but a problem, no I dont see that..
Its obvious that you know alot about this, what are you doing to solve this "Problem:? or is this not your concern?? Never even knew this was an issue, I had to play poker the other day in hallowed woods, and I think I cheated the game by bringing my alt in to stand behind me and heal me.. I will go stand in the jail now. And do you also know that phelle and her alts, randomly jump on public ships, repair and jump right back off??? Hmmm so maybe you dont know phelle at all ....

EDIT I stand corrected.. Was just reminded that a friend in game had experienced this Poker Bug, and his solution to this was to actually report it to the Devs. and not exploit that further. And why would I need to play poker. what do I win Gold? I think I have plenty of that, just from looting questing and sailing, Now if that poker game gave away Iron and pine??? You may find me at the tables more often.. *** SARCASM***, But hey -- mat vending machines?? So again what did you do when you learned of this exploit?? I can only assume you did not think it fair that anyone benefit and gain goods that they did not earn, and I can only assume you reported it as well???

Well im off to have fun leveling with double xp, and you never know, we may meet in game if you are open to public and I happen to see your ship is in need of repairs. Have a great day
I'm sorry, but this post is so all over the place, and off topic, that I have trouble seeing the point you were trying to make, maybe you could clear that up? I don't understand how poker, and bugs have anything to do with AFK players on ships?

An inactivity timer wouldn't be such a bad idea. Since it also reduces server load and in turn allow for other people who do want to play with their friends.
I love this idea! Maybe it could be 15 minutes of no movement or interaction with the game disconnects the player. I think that would be more than enough time.

Back